Batsman running on protected area while running between the wickets

aamr85

Debutant
Runs
Hello,

My question is last week, while running between the wickets, I mistakenly ran on the protected area to complete a run

Umpire gave me first warning

can any one please tell me what umpire did was right or he should have given me an informal warning?

Thanks

41.14 Batsman damaging the pitch

41.14.1 It is unfair to cause deliberate or avoidable damage to the pitch. If the striker enters the protected area in playing or playing at the ball, he/she must move from it immediately thereafter. A batsman will be deemed to be causing avoidable damage if either umpire considers that his/her presence on the pitch is without reasonable cause.

41.14.2 If either batsman causes deliberate or avoidable damage to the pitch, other than as in 41.15, at the first instance the umpire seeing the contravention shall, when the ball is dead, inform the other umpire of the occurrence. The bowler’s end umpire shall then

- warn both batsmen that the practice is unfair and indicate that this is a first and final warning. This warning shall apply throughout the innings. The umpire shall so inform each incoming batsman.

- inform the captain of the fielding side and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side of what has occurred.

Informal warnings aren't in the rules (otherwise they'd be official :rahat) and are just a case of the umpire being nice.

Last edited:
Back