BJP in damage control mode after calls grow for boycott of Indian goods in the Arab world

Did I say anything inaccurate?

Many people associated with BJP have done or said horrible things. Nupur Sharma, for example.

Nupur Sharma insulted a religion. Its a crime in India, in Western democracies like US France etc nothing would happen to her because i t would be FoE.

You clearly have no idea what terrorism is.

Nupur Sharma insulted a religion. Its a crime in India, in Western democracies like US France etc nothing would happen to her because i t would be FoE.

You clearly have no idea what terrorism is.

Yes its not a crime but a spokesperson for the ruling party making a comment like that in public .... Do you think nothing would happen? The repercussions would be huge.

They can? Because you said, thats why?LOL.

They definitely can. Check their military capability and resources. They can even take on United States (something India obviously cannot).

Just because you say they can't doesn't mean they can't.

Your arguments and logics tend to be childish.

Last edited:
Yes its not a crime but a spokesperson for the ruling party making a comment like that in public .... Do you think nothing would happen? The repercussions would be huge.

French President supported the making of cartoons of the prophet (Pbuh) in France in the name of FoE. What happened to France?

This "repercussions" is massively overrated. If you are a big strong country with strong allies, repurcussions hold no big challenge.

At the end of the day countries will run as per their laws, no matter what others think about them.

Irrelevant posts removed

Obviously having just 2 hands precludes me from deleting every possible post so I wont do

What I dont want to see is another post which is not connected to the thread topic.

Last edited:

Even in the west, its frowned upon and people quickly get labelled as bigots for such comments. If a govt official says something like this, most likely he/she is censured and ends up resigning.

It is ridiculous they are protecting this woman the way they are and the bhakts on this forum are so loud in supporting her as well.

Even in the west, its frowned upon and people quickly get labelled as bigots for such comments. If a govt official says something like this, most likely he/she is censured and ends up resigning.

It is ridiculous they are protecting this woman the way they are and the bhakts on this forum are so loud in supporting her as well.

Protecting? So what do you think is a fair punishment for Nupur according to you?

You mean she should be handed over to the sar tan se juda type people? I don’t think you would endorse that either but been surprised before.

Just FYI, she had already been suspended so what else do you want?

Protecting? So what do you think is a fair punishment for Nupur according to you?

You mean she should be handed over to the sar tan se juda type people? I don’t think you would endorse that either but been surprised before.

Just FYI, she had already been suspended so what else do you want?

I dont know what the laws are and whats the punishment but its really odd to me that she probably did not spend any time in jail and yet the Muslim journalist got picked up and is incarcerated for something he wrote 4 years ago. I dont mind if he is punished accordingly, but if thats the punishment, this Sharma woman needs to pay in kind as well, wouldnt you agree?

I dont know what the laws are and whats the punishment but its really odd to me that she probably did not spend any time in jail and yet the Muslim journalist got picked up and is incarcerated for something he wrote 4 years ago. I dont mind if he is punished accordingly, but if thats the punishment, this Sharma woman needs to pay in kind as well, wouldnt you agree?

Firstly what exactly is Nupur Sharma’s crime?

She made an inappropriate comment. Now if you start catching every person who insulted a religion or a holy figure then where is that going to stop?

She got suspended from her party just like any organization would do if you make inappropriate comments. Losing a job seems like a big enough punishment to begin with.

There are no blasphemy laws in India like Pakistan. That’s exactly why a lot of movies have been made satirizing various Hindu customs and traditions. Some People got offended, some people didn’t see anything wrong with it and everyone eventually moved on.

I don’t understand what exactly is the “crime” (judicial and law and order perspective) she did?

She quoted a verse, now if that is wrong or misinterpreted than she should be corrected by religious scholars to make her apologize that’s about it.

You are totally confusing Zubair’s case. He is not held for any blasphemy or inappropriate comments. There are many other things like foreign funding and other shady dealings that have come to light. If anything he caused a bigger ruckus than Nupur because he showed only one half of the edited video where she was coerced into saying what she said. I don’t think that’s even a reason why he is held right now even though that’s a big enough crime in my book for spreading anarchy.

Now if these cases are govt vendetta and why no one from his family etc are coming out in support, what’s his background etc etc is a different debate and has nothing to do with Nupur.

I don’t want to discuss this further not because I have anything personal against you but it’s tough to make a point to some one who has 0 clue on Indian politics or doesn’t have enough of an educated argument or even patience to do some reading to form a well informed opinion which ever side of the argument they are on.

It would be like convincing me about some pre conceived notions I have about Some things so I totally understand and would leave it here.

I believe Nupur Sharma must serve jail time like any blasphemer. Laws should be same for everyone.

In India, politically connected people and celebrities rarely serve any jail time.

I believe Nupur Sharma must serve jail time like any blasphemer. Laws should be same for everyone.

In India, politically connected people and celebrities rarely serve any jail time.

Blasphemy laws won’t work in a multi cultural country like India. Tomorrow what if some follower of some baba says it’s blasphemy to insult his guru?

Basically what we have now is fine. Free speech with some restrictions. If someone hurts sentiments then as per institutional ethics they should be fired/ debarred removed etc

That’s the best that can be done.

Blasphemy laws won’t work in a multi cultural country like India. Tomorrow what if some follower of some baba says it’s blasphemy to insult his guru?

Basically what we have now is fine. Free speech with some restrictions. If someone hurts sentiments then as per institutional ethics they should be fired/ debarred removed etc

That’s the best that can be done.

I understand the concern regarding Blasphemy laws. They are stupid and should be removed asap. But until the law is removed, it should be implemented.

Indians themselves look down on their own more than anyone else, I don't know why you need to go to Maldives or Arabia for examples. Just ask Preity, Priyanka or incoming PM Mrs Patel. These are your superstars and you know what they think of their own.

It's a tactful long game that people play. Muslims have been doing it where they side with LGBTQ and liberals in general in western countries. However they support a strict form of conservative Islam when they are a majority where they impose a death penalty on these liberals. Hindus have decided to aim directly at the positions of power. They have become the leaders of top corporations and are slowly reaching into the upper echelons of politics in western countries. The only way to do that is to embrace liberalism as conservatives care about race. So, when a priety or Priyanka is saying something to appease someone, she's actually making the path easier for future Hindus to continue their game. Hindus rely on soft power and play a patient game. The same Priyanka and Priety will run miles to get a selfie with Modi.

It's a tactful long game that people play. Muslims have been doing it where they side with LGBTQ and liberals in general in western countries. However they support a strict form of conservative Islam when they are a majority where they impose a death penalty on these liberals. Hindus have decided to aim directly at the positions of power. They have become the leaders of top corporations and are slowly reaching into the upper echelons of politics in western countries. The only way to do that is to embrace liberalism as conservatives care about race. So, when a priety or Priyanka is saying something to appease someone, she's actually making the path easier for future Hindus to continue their game. Hindus rely on soft power and play a patient game. The same Priyanka and Priety will run miles to get a selfie with Modi.

Neither of them would marry a Modi though would they? They went Abrahamic, and now they will only pose for selfies to keep their popularity bubbling at home but it's not where the heart is.

Your views on Muslims are massively ignorant though. Muslims are the ones who get criticised most in western countries for not complying with the LGBTQ programme. They also have a duty in a foreign country to respect the law of the land whether they agree with it or not.

And Islamic nations all have their own take on how much religious imposition they tolerate when they are the majority, Indonesia and Turkey are not going to be the same as Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan. Seems toclear to me that the rise of Hindutva movement is inspired by Islamic principles and law. Where previously Hinduism used to be seen as all encompassing and very liberal, now they are trying to ape the Taliban. Your post is a fine example, you are referencing Islam to justify the Hindutva long game.

Citing "renewed" threats after the Supreme Court's "unexpected and strong criticism" of her, suspended BJP leader Nupur Sharma has again approached the court to halt her possible arrest and club nine cases filed across India over her comments on Prophet Mohammed. Her fresh plea will be heard tomorrow by the same bench — Justice JB Pardiwala and Justice Surya Kant — that had criticised her on July 1.

Ms Sharma had made her controversial comments about the Prophet and Islam while representing the ruling party on a TV show two months ago. As it led to a diplomatic row besides protests in India, the BJP suspended her. Two persons have since been killed for supporting her.

In her earlier plea, too, she'd requested the Supreme Court to club all other FIRs with the one in Delhi, but the court said, among other things, that she was "single-handedly responsible for what is happening in the country”. She then withdrew that plea. The judges' observations were not part of the final order, though — a fact that may help her case as she seeks some relief again. Also, the number of FIRs has since gone up by three.

In the fresh plea, she has argued that "fringe elements have renewed" rape and death threats to her since the criticism of July 1. She had cited such threats in her earlier plea as well. But the court had remarked, "She faces threats or she has become security threat?... It is shameful. She should apologise to the whole country."

The bench faced severe criticism for the comments. At least fifteen ex-judges, besides former bureaucrats and retired officers of the armed forces, said that some of the observations were a “virtual exoneration of the dastardliest beheading at Udaipur”. A tailor named Kanhaiya Lal was murdered in Rajasthan's Udaipur last month by two men over his social media posts supporting Nupur Sharma. A similar killing took place in Maharashtra's Amravati.

Justice Pardiwala had responded to social media criticism, in particular, at a function. "Personal attacks on judges for their judgements lead to a dangerous scenario," he said, adding, "Social and digital media is primarily resorted to expressing personalised opinions more against the judges, rather than a constructive critical appraisal of their judgments. This is what is harming the judicial institution and lowering its dignity."

NDTV

Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari Friday condemned India's Supreme Court's decision to provide former Bharatiya Janata Party spokesperson Nupur Sharma protection from getting arrested in the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) case.

Sharma was suspended following her derogatory and hateful remarks against Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

Her comments sparked many protests throughout India.

Related itemsIndian apex court declares Nupur Sharma remarks cause of Udaipur homicideBlasphemous remarks culmination of BJP’s engineering hatred: ArundhatiUS condemns blasphemous remarks by BJP members against Prophet (PBUH)

Following the incident, 15 Muslim nations joined hands to stand against Indian politicians' derogatory remarks, reported NDTV.

The foreign minister said that this decision of not arresting the former BJP spokesperson shows that India not only has hatred towards Pakistan but also towards Islam.

He added that the BJP promotes hatred and extremism toward the Muslims living in India.

"We have minimal influence on India's Supreme Court, however, we need to raise this issue at the international level including the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the United Nations (UN) to raise awareness and we have raised this issue," he added.

Bilawal said that the people are now seeing India's real face through these actions.

Geo

Indian police detained a state lawmaker from Prime Minister Narendra Modi's party on Tuesday on suspicion of “promoting enmity in the name of religion” after Muslim groups demanded his arrest for his comments about the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

The detention of T. Raja Singh, a lawmaker in the southern state of Telangana, comes months after his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) suspended spokesperson Nupur Sharma for her remarks that had led to a diplomatic backlash against India.

“He has been charged with promoting enmity in the name of religion,” Joel Davis, a senior police official in Hyderabad city, told Reuters.

“We have detained him and we will arrest him. This is about the recent video that he posted.”

In the video, available on social media, Singh, and in an apparent reference to the Prophet, made controversial remarks.

Singh could not be reached for comment.

The Hindu nationalist BJP would examine Singh's remarks and take action if he was found to have violated its code, party spokesperson K. Krishna Rao told the News18 channel.

Hundreds of Muslims protested against Singh on Monday evening after the video appeared on social media, footage from media showed.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1706400/i...y-detained-after-remarks-against-holy-prophet

Pakistan on Wednesday strongly condemned the “highly provocative and sacrilegious remarks” made by a BJP leader against Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and called upon the international community to take urgent cognisance of the aggravating Islamophobia in India.

Indian police had on Tuesday detained BJP leader T. Raja Singh, a lawmaker in the southern state of Telangana, on suspicion of “promoting enmity in the name of religion” after Muslim groups demanded his arrest for his comments about the Prophet (PBUH).

Condemning the remarks, the Foreign Office said it was the second time in the last three months that a senior BJP leader made disrespectful comments against the Holy Prophet (PBUH).

“These highly derogatory remarks have gravely hurt the feelings of the people of Pakistan and billions of Muslims around the world.”

The FO spokesperson pointed out that “the token and perfunctory disciplinary action taken by the BJP against the said official cannot assuage the pain and anguish caused to the Muslims of India and around the world”.

Pakistan also condemned the release of the lawmaker hours after his arrest and said the decision of setting free the BJP leader was “highly reprehensible”.

The spokesperson said the current incident once again highlighted the incumbent Indian regime’s “obsessively spiteful demeanour” towards the Muslims and “the worrying trajectory” of Islamophobia in India.

“The fact is that India is nothing more than an undeclared ‘Hindu Rashtra’ where Muslims are routinely denigrated, dispossessed and marginalized and their religious beliefs are trampled under majoritarian hegemonism.”

The FO also called out the “deafening silence” of the top BJP leadership on the abhorrent incident, saying it manifestly reflected their approval and complete support to the radical Hindu zealots within and beyond the BJP.

“Pakistan demands the Indian government to take immediate and decisive action against the BJP members habitually involved in attacking Islam and targeting the dignity of beloved Prophet (PBUH),” the statement added.

DAWN

Hyderabad: A huge crowd of protesters gathered in Hyderabad late last night demanding action against T Raja Singh, the suspended BJP MLA out on bail after being arrested for his alleged derogatory remarks on Prophet Muhammad.
Police used a lathicharge to contain protesters who raised religious slogans, burnt effigies and threw stones. Protests were also reported from several other locations in the old city area of Hyderabad, including Charminar.

T Raja Singh was arrested on Tuesday after a case was registered against him for hurting religious sentiments and promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion. Hours later, he was granted bail as the court rejected a police request for custody.

Mr Singh was suspended and issued a showcause notice by the BJP within hours of his arrest. The party stated that he had expressed views contrary to the party's position on various matters.

Massive protests had erupted in the city on Tuesday night as well over Mr Singh's release, prompting the police to step-up security. He had released a 10-minute video allegedly making derogatory comments about Prophet Muhammad, which was later taken off by the social media platform on which it was uploaded.

Taking a swipe at comedian Munawar Faruqui, whose show he unsuccessfully tried to disrupt recently, he said it was a "comedy" video just like Mr Faruqui's alleged videos on Hindu gods. He asked why the insult of Ram and Sita could pass off as comedy but not of other figures revered by other communities.

Mr Singh's controversial comments come barely months after former BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma triggered a massive diplomatic backlash with her remarks on the Prophet. Nupur Sharma was suspended by the BJP and as many as 10 cases were filed against her across the country.

Telangana's BJP chief Bandi Sanjay Kumar has alleged that Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao's Telangana Rashtra Samiti was trying to trigger communal riots in the city to deflect attention from allegations of her daughter's involvement in the Delhi excise policy case.

Some BJP leaders had earlier claimed that K Kavitha acted as the "middleman" between the liquor mafia and the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government.

Ms Kavitha then filed a defamation case against the BJP, acting on which, a Hyderabad court issued notices to two BJP leaders and directed them to not make any defamatory comments against her until a decision.

NDTV

For Visas For Indians, A Big Change From Saudi Arabia

New Delhi:

Indians no longer need to produce a police clearance certificate to apply for a Saudi visa.

The Saudi embassy in India tweeted they have removed the visa requirement for police clearance certificate for Indians "in view of the strong relations and strategic partnership between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Republic of India."

The immediate benefit of the Saudi move to do away with police clearance for visa would be faster application processing, easier management by tour firms, and one less document for tourists to tackle.

"In view of the strong relations and strategic partnership between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Republic of India, the Kingdom has decided to exempt the Indian nationals from submitting a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)," the Saudi embassy in India tweeted.

"...The embassy appreciates the contribution of over two million Indian citizens living peacefully in the kingdom," the embassy said in a statement.

Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman was to visit India to meet his counterpart Narendra Modi this month. However, due to scheduling issues, the visit was cancelled. He was on his way to the G20 summit in Indonesia's Bali.

NDTV

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/news/expats-who-took-part-in-fahaheel-protest-to-be-deported/

I am guessing most would be Pakistanis, Bdeshis and Indians. But hey they sacrificed themselves for the sake of religion.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/ind...-clearance-certificate-for-saudi-visa-3529682
The Saudi embassy in India tweeted they have removed the visa requirement for police clearance certificate for Indians

Its a lesson for those who get hyperexcited about what someone in India say about prophet and people start thinking that now the entire GCC will be against India bla bla. I wonder what those people who protested and were deported would be thinking in present times now that the dust has settled. People need to understand politics is older than any religion, and India's ties with the gulf world are much deeper than what most people know.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/ind...-clearance-certificate-for-saudi-visa-3529682
The Saudi embassy in India tweeted they have removed the visa requirement for police clearance certificate for Indians

Its a lesson for those who get hyperexcited about what someone in India say about prophet and people start thinking that now the entire GCC will be against India bla bla. I wonder what those people who protested and were deported would be thinking in present times now that the dust has settled. People need to understand politics is older than any religion, and India's ties with the gulf world are much deeper than what most people know.

Like in other Gulf countries most of the Indian migrants to Saudi Arabia are Muslims from Kerala, so there's still a religious angle.

Like in other Gulf countries most of the Indian migrants to Saudi Arabia are Muslims from Kerala, so there's still a religious angle.

You think Saudi Arabia cares about muslims anywhere? bhai, its the politics that wins over religion anyday anywhere. PPers think GCC dislikes Modi and 3 of the most influential GCC countries - Saudi Arabia, UAE and Bahrain, each one have awarded their highest civilian awards to Modi in the recent years. Saudi Arabia honored him with Order of King Abdulaziz, which they had earlier given to people like Obama and Theresa May. Aramco and ADNOC are together putting upwards of $30 bn for biggest refinery project that has started in Ratnagiri recently. Every investor/SWF in GCC are looking for Indian funds and companies, for the first time i am seeing them prioritizing India over UK and US, and you think world runs on religion.

You think Saudi Arabia cares about muslims anywhere? bhai, its the politics that wins over religion anyday anywhere. PPers think GCC dislikes Modi and 3 of the most influential GCC countries - Saudi Arabia, UAE and Bahrain, each one have awarded their highest civilian awards to Modi in the recent years. Saudi Arabia honored him with Order of King Abdulaziz, which they had earlier given to people like Obama and Theresa May. Aramco and ADNOC are together putting upwards of $30 bn for biggest refinery project that has started in Ratnagiri recently. Every investor/SWF in GCC are looking for Indian funds and companies, for the first time i am seeing them prioritizing India over UK and US, and you think world runs on religion.

What it tells me is that Saudis are very happy to hand out visas to Indians on the basis that Indians mind their own business and don't try to impose their ideology in SA. I do think a lot of Muslim countries, at least in the middle east are like that. They won't really care what you do in private as long as you don't interfere with their culture.

India-UAE Bilateral Trade To Cross $88 Billion This Year

New Delhi: United Arab Emirates' Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan is in India for a two-day official visit to strengthen the relationship between the two countries.

During his official visit, UAE Foreign Minister also met External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar as well.

The relationship between India and UAE has seen transformational changes since 2014. India and UAE have projected to surpass bilateral trade worth USD 88 billion this year. After USA and China, UAE became India's 3rd largest trading partner.

During the five months, between April and August of the Current Fiscal Year (CFY), the bilateral trade stands at USD 36.82 bn. Projected to surpass USD 88 billion for CFY as compared to USD 73 billion for the last Fiscal Year.

In the last 8 years, Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited UAE four times. Even the Foreign Ministers have met four times in the last three months.

UAE signed its first-ever Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) agreement with India in February this year. It was the first for India in the last ten years. It entered into force in May 2022.

The bilateral trade for April-August of CFY was 38 per cent higher as compared to the corresponding period last year. For this period, exports increased by 27 per cent while imports surged by 45 per cent largely due to higher crude prices.

Both countries are also discussing making use of UPI as a payment platform for remittances from the 3.5 million-strong Indian community in the UAE.

Over USD 10 billion of investments have come from the UAE. These include some big ticket investments such as USD 2 billion in Reliance Jio and Reliance Retail (June 2020), USD 2 bn in Adani (renewable energy, Apr 2022), USD 1 billion in TATA Motors (electric vehicles, Oct 2021).

It is a two-way investment with Reliance having invested USD 2 billion in petrochemicals JV in the UAE (Dec 2021).

The leaders have also launched a Joint Vision Document. It gives bilateral relations an economic thrust and futuristic trajectory. The Vision Document is a roadmap for a further foray into newer areas, such as - the establishment of IIT, Green Hydrogen cooperation, fintech, setting up of a dedicated food corridor, health cooperation (including development projects in Africa), skills, defense exports, etc.

The Government has given 26 acres of land for the construction of a Hindu Temple in Abu Dhabi.

Under I2U2 both countries are discussing an investment of USD 2 billion from the UAE to develop food corridors in India and another USD 300 million for building a 300 GW hybrid (wind and solar) power plant.

The relationship between the two countries has become stronger with time. UAE has been invited to attend the G-20 Summit as a special invitee.

NDTV

S Jaishankar, UAE Foreign Minister Discuss Regional, Global Issues In Abu Dhabi

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar met with his United Arab Emirates counterpart Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan in Abu Dhabi today. In a tweet, Mr Jaishankar said continuing conversations between the two counties on regional and global issues contribute to the strengthening and comfort of the relationship.

"Great to meet UAE FM @ABZayed in Abu Dhabi. Our continuing conversations on regional and global issues contribute to the strengthening and comfort of the relationship," the Union minister said.

According to a press release issued by UAE's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr Jaishankar reviewed the prospects of consolidating ties and the comprehensive strategic partnerships between the two nations.

During the meeting, the two ministers discussed strengthening cooperation in all sectors, including health, technology, digitalisation, economy and trade. Furthermore, a number of issues of interest related to regional and international developments were discussed.

"The UAE top diplomat welcomed the Indian minister over a working dinner in Abu Dhabi, during which they discussed enhancing cooperation across all fronts, with particular emphasis on areas of health, technology, digitalisation, economy, and trade, in light of the comprehensive economic partnership signed in 2022 by the two nations," according to a statement by the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The two leaders also discussed India's vision during the G20 presidency and the participation of the UAE as a guest nation. Sheikh Abdullah reaffirmed UAE's support for India's presidency of the G20.

Sheikh Abdullah reiterated the UAE's support for India's presidency of the group and appreciated its ambitious aspirations to achieve remarkable progress in a number of key areas, including climate change, health, agriculture, education and promoting women's empowerment. He wished success to India during its presidency of the G20.

The two diplomats reviewed the participation of the two nations' private sector in the workings of the Group based on its important role in supporting sustainable development efforts at various levels.

During the meeting, Sheikh Abdullah underscored the importance of strengthening international cooperation to stimulate economic growth and the UAE's willingness to enhance the participation of the private sector in supporting the two countries' developmental goal agendas.

Mr Jaishankar and Sheikh Abdullah also discussed ways to enhance cooperation involving multilateral groups and organisations, including the I2U2 Group and future cooperation opportunities within the BRICS and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation. Sheikh Abdullah stressed that the ties between the two nations will help push global efforts to achieve sustainable growth.

"The UAE-Indian relations are steadily heading towards broader horizons of fruitful cooperation, with the objective of creating promising opportunities for development and economic prosperity in the two countries," Sheikh Abdullah said.

Mr Jaishankar is headed to New York next to preside over two high level ministerial events of India's ongoing presidency of the UN security council on December 14-15.

NDTV

Back