Branded terrorist, he lost his youth in jail

shahrukh619

ODI Debutant
Runs
NEW DELHI: As 18-year-old Mohammad Amir Khan walked to see a hakeem in Bahadurgarh on the night of February 20, 1998, his biggest worry was the kidney stones he had developed. Little did the teenager know that unforeseen problems were about to overtake his life in the next hour.

Named a terrorist and accused of involvement in 19 cases of bombings in Delhi, Rohtak, Sonepat and Ghaziabad between December 1996 and October 1997, Amir spent 14 years in different state jails. His family faced social shame and financial ruin, his father died of a liver ailment that could not be treated in time and his mother suffered a brain haemorrhage that left her paralyzed and speech impaired.

When he walked out of jail in January this year after being acquitted in 17 cases, Amir had already served more time in jail than the maximum term he could have got on conviction.

In each acquittal, the sessions court judgments pointed to the absence of incriminating evidence after prosecution witnesses testified that they had been made to sign on blank papers and had never seen Amir earlier. He is awaiting the high court's decision in two cases now - a Karol Bagh bombing and a case under the arms and explosives Act.

On the fateful night, Amir, son of a small-time toyshop owner, had not noticed a white Gypsy that had been trailing him. Unknown men flung open the door and pushed him inside. While rough voices shouted expletives, his hands and feet were quickly bound up, and he was blindfolded and gagged. "I thought I was being kidnapped as I didn't know that the men in civil clothes were actually policemen," he recalls.

Amir's horror had just started. "I was led to an unknown place where voices echoed. They stripped me naked, pushed me against a wall and forced me to open my legs wide enough to be in a straight line with the wall. A log was lodged between my thighs so I remained in the incredibly painful position while I shrieked in agony. I was beaten, petrol was poured into my private parts, I was made to drink water mixed with detergent and sometimes given electric shocks. Sometimes, I was made to lie down on the ground while heavy metal pipes were rolled over my body. In between the 'treatments', I was made to sign papers and copy down lists of things in diaries. In that one week, I lost my youth," he says.

Formally "arrested" on February 27 that year, Amir was produced in court the next day and charge-sheeted as a criminal mastermind a few months later for planning serial blasts in moving buses, markets and the coaches of Frontier Mail. "In court, I didn't even understand what was going on because they spoke in English. Later, while reading the charge-sheet I found out that I had supposedly been arrested near Old Delhi Railway Station and a briefcase with a revolver, explosives and - absurdly - my school marksheets, character certificate and ration card was found in my possession. What would a terrorist with explosives be doing with his school character certificate?" he asks in bafflement.

While the cases dragged on for years, Amir's parents came to know about his arrest only from newspapers. "We had no money, so my father sold off the property we had, neglected his business as he tried to find me lawyers, and ultimately died of a liver infection that was never properly treated because he was too preoccupied and under debt. My widowed mother fought on for four more years until she, too, suffered a brain stroke that left her paralysed. Our family has been ruined," he says.

Amir was shifted from one jail to another and sometimes left without a lawyer as he fought the cases. One of his co-accused was poisoned mysteriously in Dasna Jail for which the jail superintendent was charged with murder. "One day, a Hindi newspaper reported that I was a Pakistani. No lawyer would then help me, and I was treated with suspicion and distrust in jail. An especially painful memory from then is of my aged mother drawing herself up the steep steps of the Ghaziabad court in heavy rain. I watched her from the court lock-up and wished I had died rather than see her undergo such torture," he says, tears welling in his eyes.

Around that time, in 2007, well-known human rights lawyer ND Pancholi took up Amir's case and has been his counsel ever since. "We are hopeful that Amir will be acquitted in the remaining two cases as well, much like the other cases which were disposed of," says Pancholi.

Times View

The case of Mohammed Amir cannot simply end with his acquittal by courts in almost all the cases filed against him. The courts have repeatedly held that the prosecution has not been able to present any evidence incriminating him, leave alone proving the charges. Therefore, the state must compensate him for wrongful confinement. Arrested at 18 and let out at 32, the prime of his life has been snatched from him, not to mention the damage done to his reputation. The compensation must cover not only potential earnings for this period but also add on penal amounts for defamation. Compensation apart, the police should realise that every such wrongful arrest adds to the sense of injustice in the minority community and plays into the hands of fundamentalists
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...st-his-youth-in-jail/articleshow/11816184.cms

If he now turns into a terrorist who would blame him. India likes to do this a lot. They bring in youths from Kashmir as well throwing them in jails and branding them terrorists. The Indian public questions nothing it seems.

This is shameful for our nation.For a country that claims to be a champion of democracy and fair trials,this is disappointing.Nobody can bring those lost years back.

Shame on the indian justice system They ruined his and his families life forever

Uff, such a saddening story, my heart goes out to the fellow and his family.

Hope he can somehow find some peace and happiness.

this is just one example, they've destroyed thousands of families by branding them as terrorists

sad, this is why we still have a ways to go in the field of social justice.

it is a very sad story and should not happen anywhere or to anyone.

please don't bring india/pakistan or muslim/non-muslim issue in this. same things happen to people in pakistan where a muslim police did same to muslim public. i am sure such things happen to hindus also in india.

its a social issue, law and justice issue and corruption issue.

He should get compensation at least !! Like thousands and thousands

This is disgraceful. Allah make his affairs easy

it is a very sad story and should not happen anywhere or to anyone.

please don't bring india/pakistan or muslim/non-muslim issue in this. same things happen to people in pakistan where a muslim police did same to muslim public. i am sure such things happen to hindus also in india.

its a social issue, law and justice issue and corruption issue.

What kind of pathetic plea is this?

India have been picking up children for decades labeling them terrorists mainly because they themselves are terrorising the people of Kashmir. Do you the percentage of Muslims in Indian prisons is higher than the percentage of the population? India's state policy in Kashmir is very important in establishing why people such as Amir have been tortured and imprisoned for many years.

Pak should give him and his family citizenship and a well paying job. Let him become an author about his ordeal and a human rights activist against India.

Knew this before..very very sad!!!!!!!!

I know nothing can bring his lost years and parents back...but he is only in early 30's..he should get a lot of money as compensation and the concerned people should be arrested...

Disgraceful really..

Knew this before..very very sad!!!!!!!!

I know nothing can bring his lost years and parents back...but he is only in early 30's..he should get a lot of money as compensation and the concerned people should be arrested...

Disgraceful really..

Nothing may really make up for what the "System" did to him. Compensation may be the way to go if wrongfully convicted but when the system sets you up for something like this, no money can make up for it.

This actually states the state of our judicial system.

It's not a stand alone case nor it's only restricted to terrorism.

Just check how many and how old civil cases are there. There are thousands of rotting in the prison on small charges whose cases are going on for years when their max sentence could have been few months.

This is a reason why a lot of people in India wants to stay away from Police and courts as they feel a mutual resolve of a conflict is always going to be better than going to court.

This actually states the state of our judicial system.

It's not a stand alone case nor it's only restricted to terrorism.

Just check how many and how old civil cases are there. There are thousands of rotting in the prison on small charges whose cases are going on for years when their max sentence could have been few months.

This is a reason why a lot of people in India wants to stay away from Police and courts as they feel a mutual resolve of a conflict is always going to be better than going to court.

agree that our judicial system sucks, but it sucks doubly much if you add religious persecution to it, like in this case.

don't know how many generations it will take for the deep seated religious bigotry to leave our psyche.

agree that our judicial system sucks, but it sucks doubly much if you add religious persecution to it, like in this case.

don't know how many generations it will take for the deep seated religious bigotry to leave our psyche.
Yes it's more bad in this case.

But the situation of this sort happens due to snail speed judicial system. Think of the judicial system which would decide faster, you won't have such cases as he would have been out quickly. That will increase the confidence of citizens on the judiciary.

I don't believe the courts have any religious bigotry at all. It's just in the society and like you said, it will take time but I am sure if will fade slowly.

Last edited:
And it's happened again.

‘They have lost a decade of their lives to false allegations’

When the court announced his acquittal in the 2005 triple blasts case, Mohammad Rafique Shah — dressed in a black pathani kurta and a grey overcoat — looked up to the heavens and said: “Shukraan (Thank you)”.

The 34-year-old walked out of the Patiala House courtroom with a beaming smile while waving at the crowd and his family, who were waiting for his acquittal for nearly 12 years.

As he was being taken away by the police, Rafique got a chance to hold his mother’s hand for a second.

‘He was in class’

“My son was in his classroom in Kashmir when the blasts happened that day. He is innocent. He lost more than a decade of his life to false allegations. Who is going to give that back to us?” said 55-year-old Mehbooba Yassin, Rafique’s mother.

Mehbooba and her husband Mohammad Yassin reached Delhi from their village in Hazratbal in Srinagar on Monday. Rafique is the second of three children of the couple.

“We met Rafique and he told us that he was confident that Allah will help serve justice,” Mr. Yassin said.

‘A bright student’

“We belong to a poor family and our son was our only hope for a better life. He was a bright student and wanted to do something for the youth of Kashmir,” Rafique’s father said.

Then a Masters student at Kashmir University, Mr. Rafique was arrested from Srinagar on November 22, 2005, according to police. The family, however, said that he was picked up on the night of November 21 from his house.

Not proved in court

The police accused Mr. Rafique of planting explosives in a DTC bus in south Delhi’s Govindpuri. An eyewitness identified him as the one who left the bag containing explosives in the bus.

A narco-analysis also confirmed that Mr. Rafique knew the co-accused Tariq Ahmad Dar from before the blasts, the special cell had alleged.

These charges, however, could not be proved in court.

The police also accused Mohammed Hussain Fazili, a shawl vendor in Srinagar, of being an operative of Lashkar-e-Taiba and a link between Dar and Mr. Rafique. He too was acquitted by the court on Thursday.

“We have been through enough and now want to live our life in peace,” said Mr. Fazili’s brother-in-law, Mohammad Qasim.

Dar was the only one among the three that was convicted for the serial blasts. He has been accused of his involvement in funding terror activities.

Though Dar had pleaded innocence, the court has awarded him 10 years’ imprisonment. However, because he has already served 12 years in jail, Dar will walk away free.

Dar had joined a multinational company in 1997 and was working as a sales representative before he was arrested by the Delhi Police’s special cell from Kashmir on November 10, 2005.

Dar: father of two girls

Dar, the father of two girls, lived in Solini in Srinagar with his family. He was coming back from work when he was stopped by a few men in plain clothes, who stopped his car pointing at some problem with the tyre. He was later formally arrested for his involvement in the blasts.

His family staged protests lasting almost a week, accusing the Delhi Police of kidnapping and false implication.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...ves-to-false-allegations’/article17315063.ece

This is nothing new for Kashmiris. Boys as young as 8 years old are caught and slapped with PSA.

PSA is the draconian public safety act under which a person can be detained up to 2 years without trial. After 2 years they release the person and re-arrest him again one day later for another 2 years. And they put them in jails far awaY from their hometowns so that their families could not pursue their cases easily. Countless minors are languishing in kot balwal jail which is a place for big time criminals and thugs.

This is nothing new for Kashmiris. Boys as young as 8 years old are caught and slapped with PSA.

PSA is the draconian public safety act under which a person can be detained up to 2 years without trial. After 2 years they release the person and re-arrest him again one day later for another 2 years. And they put them in jails far awaY from their hometowns so that their families could not pursue their cases easily. Countless minors are languishing in kot balwal jail which is a place for big time criminals and thugs.

Don't the Kashmiris elect their leaders? How can this happen in a democratic state? Why isn't the state govt. doing anything about it. I thought States have a lot of power in India

Don't the Kashmiris elect their leaders? How can this happen in a democratic state? Why isn't the state govt. doing anything about it. I thought States have a lot of power in India

The choice is limited. PDP and NC are the only two local political parties which can be called big parties. They do what their masters in the central government tell them. Plus nobody trusts these elections to be fair anyways. With a tad less than a million Indian security men "guarding" the most highly militarized territory on earth, we cant really expect much from democracy.

The choice is limited. PDP and NC are the only two local political parties which can be called big parties. They do what their masters in the central government tell them. Plus nobody trusts these elections to be fair anyways. With a tad less than a million Indian security men "guarding" the most highly militarized territory on earth, we cant really expect much from democracy.

That's a pity!!

Back