Brian Lara warns Australia of West Indies-like Test decline

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Brian Lara has likened the frailty of Australia's current Test side and potential for a "downward spiral" to that of the West Indies who fell sharply into cricket disarray after dominating the 1980s.

Australia lost their fifth straight Test on Tuesday when they were crushed by South Africa in Hobart by an innings and 80 runs to lose the series 2-0 with a match to play.

Since 2011, Australia have won just over half their Test series, suffering losses to the Proteas, England, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

In the 10 years prior, the country lost only six series, equalling the record for consecutive Test match victories with 16 between December 2005 to January 2008.

"The fear factor is no longer there and a similar thing happened to the West Indies 25 years ago," Lara told News Corp Australia.

"When Australia beat us at home in 1995, no one feared us any more and that's going to be the situation with Australia.

"Especially if they are not travelling well."

The West Indies are a shadow of the team that won a then-record 11 straight Tests in the 1980s, now sitting eighth in world rankings ahead of only Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

Lara warned the Australians of the potential for a rapid decline, believing their 3-0 loss in Sri Lanka this year has given opponents a sniff of their vulnerability.

"The morale of the team was pretty low when we started to lose," said Lara, who is in Sydney to play the Australian Open pro-am on Wednesday.

"Everything must stay as harmonious as possible.

"You can dig a bigger hole for yourself if you are not unified and you start worrying about other things that may not even be happening.

"It could become a downward spiral."

Australia's next assignment is probably the toughest in world cricket - a four-Test tour of India early next year - which would require a huge turnaround on the dry Asian wickets given the third Test loss in Colombo was their ninth straight defeat in the region.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/node/943413

Nah, Windies never had a system. Australia does. They'll recover very quickly. They actually have the players but their selectors are just terrible at identifying them.

an overreaction. australia will be near the top of the ratings within 2 years.

1. Australia have a far better system

2. No one in Australia can be remotely as selfish as Lara.

Never going to happen. Apple to orange comparison.

Australia's next assignment is probably the toughest in world cricket - a four-Test tour of India early next year - which would require a huge turnaround on the dry Asian wickets given the third Test loss in Colombo was their ninth straight defeat in the region.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/node/943413

Seriously their next assignment against India is the toughest one?? What about Pakistan before that??? They think Pakistan going to be easy...

Seriously their next assignment against India is the toughest one?? What about Pakistan before that??? They think Pakistan going to be easy...

Why wouldn't they, they have pounded us every time we have toured in last couple of decades.

Don't think we have even managed to draw a test so no need to get insecure.

Whoever wrote the article obviously either meant 'away assignment' or just forgot the Pakistan series...

They may have a lean period but I don't see them ever getting as bad as the Windies. Brian seems to be hoping more then believing.

It will never happen. WI biggest flaw is their system and union of boards. Aus has very good system if not best so their decline is actually players quality decline not system's. The system will produce lot of quality players if current lot don't service. So Aus can never be wi at all. It just need team revamp and nurture new blood. Within years it will be great team I am sure.

Whilst I don't think Australia will fall as spectacularly as WI - this current team is pretty poor and one of the worst I have seen IMO.

Australian structure is much stronger than West Indies so I don't agree with Lara on this.

Australia are on a pretty big decline at moment and i cant see to many quick short term fixes but in longterm they will bounce back and wont be as bad as the W.I

Australia are on a pretty big decline at moment and i cant see to many quick short term fixes but in longterm they will bounce back and wont be as bad as the W.I

At home yes, never again in asia.

Back