'Broadcasters may be leaning on the ECB to say we spend all this money, so we want to see the best players": David Lloyd on England players & IPL

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
So, in an exclusive interview for PakPassion by Saj with David Lloyd, the question was asked in relation to this Irfan Pathan post on social media about England players giving preference to their home series against Pakistan instead of the IPL and he responded:

Last edited:
Of course, Irfan Pathan is entitled to say what he wants. But it does not matter.

Now, if the owners say and believe the same, that is a totally different. Things will get real if that happens. But until then, all is good.

i wouldn't take irfan pathan serious he is just trying to prove is loyalty to india, he will speak against pakistan every given opportunity. had the england series been against any other team other than pakistan it would be a non issue and irfan pathan wouldn't have tweeted anything

i wouldn't take irfan pathan serious he is just trying to prove is loyalty to india, he will speak against pakistan every given opportunity. had the england series been against any other team other than pakistan it would be a non issue and irfan pathan wouldn't have tweeted anything

To be honest, some have even said this about foreign players who leave early in PSL.

To be honest, some have even said this about foreign players who leave early in PSL.
When franchises sign players, they understand that some players have international commitments and may need to leave, yet they still choose to sign them. The only realistic alternative for the boards would be to prohibit players from participating in these leagues. Ultimately, the leagues would be the ones losing out.

For example, if Babar played in the IPL, he would miss the New Zealand series, the Ireland series, and the England series.

His brother is fighting election in India in a opposition party ticket. He or his family doesn't need to fit in as minorities in the country gets all the democratic rights.

Think you are mixing countries :danish

I think the IPL needs to change its schedule from next season onwards, as David Lloyd is right that the IPL season overlaps with the English summer season and dedicated professional cricketers always prefer their national duties over franchise cricket.

Irfan needs to understand IPL is a money venture for players . Yes they are professionals & will play to win but it’s not as important as winning for your national team .

Bumble makes a great point , Sky pay bucks & want the best production . As fans paying for tickets , we also want to see the best players from both sides .

Also as there is no window & never will be , a policy of all or nothing will only make the league weak & only watched in India . All int players of any stature would choose national team

His brother is fighting election in India in a opposition party ticket. He or his family doesn't need to fit in as minorities in the country gets all the democratic rights.

Think you are mixing countries :danish

Irfan needs to show his loyalty to India , he probably just wants his family to be safe & him to earn a living . But it’s getting cringe now

Irfan needs to show his loyalty to India , he probably just wants his family to be safe & him to earn a living . But it’s getting cringe now

His family is safe in India. Many Muslim cricketers have played and even captained team India. Everyone is loyal and never went over n above to prove patriotism. The only cricketer complained about discrimination on religious grounds is Danish Kaneria.

His family is safe in India. Many Muslim cricketers have played and even captained team India. Everyone is loyal and never went over n above to prove patriotism. The only cricketer complained about discrimination on religious grounds is Danish Kaneria.

Because he is safe to do so . Any Muslim cricketer in India must tow the line like other Muslims. This seems to be the case as he’s clearly making no sense . Or do you agree with him ?

They should an all Indian IPL. I’d watch it :sachin

Because he is safe to do so . Any Muslim cricketer in India must tow the line like other Muslims. This seems to be the case as he’s clearly making no sense . Or do you agree with him ?

I have given my detailed analysis on this topic in another thread. I was simply questioning your delusion of him trying to fit in as a muslim cricketer...LOL.

Read my take on this below:

Few pointers from me on this topic:

1. Indians are upset with English players leaving is an exaggerated title as only Irfan Pathan & Gavaskar raised this concern. So based on the opinion on these two former players and perhaps few people on twitter, I won't generalize as 'Indians are upset'.

2. Even though almost all English players failed spectacularly in this IPL, the beauty of franchise sport is team manager chalks out plan based on the resources they have been given. Now if suddenly players starts pulling out when critical knock out games are approaching, it derails their overall plan. If I were Rajasthan Royals coach I have all the right to be unhappy that Jos Butler leaves during eliminator and they have to find a new opener.

3. National duty comes first is a myth that has been propagated here. We just saw how NZ players this season or SA/WI or even Aussie players in the past gave a laath (kick) to that logic and choose IPL. The point is cricketers don't represent their country per se but rather their cricket board. Indian players plays for BCCI, Pak for PCB, Englsh for ECB so on and so forth and gets paid in return. They national tag is attached to give it a more emotional touch but at the end of the day every sports person plays for money. If IPL pays them more, they have all the right to choose their franchise over their cricket board. You simply can't question their patriotism then. There is a reason Karim Benzema was practicing for Real Madrid when France was busy preparing for World cup final.

4. IPL gets a window from ICC where boards whose players are participating should not organize international matches. If this series was organized as a last minute thing and BCCI was not privy to it, that will be dealt accordingly.

5. IPL also has to take some blame for running a tournament for 3 month. You can totally understand why players would feel fatigued and want to return home at the first call. The tournament should not be more than 45 days in my view.

6. Last but not the least, it is 2024 and Pak players are still banned in the daddy league :(

:kp

I have given my detailed analysis on this topic in another thread. I was simply questioning your delusion of him trying to fit in as a muslim cricketer...LOL.

Read my take on this below:

I’d say is more denial on your part .

You are implying national duty is less important & used Benzima as an example. Firstly you don’t understand the difference between club football & int cricket & neither anytime about Benzima .

If you feel IPL is the greatest thing since slice bread & more important than any other competition , it’s your right but actual cricketers feel differently

I’d say is more denial on your part .

You are implying national duty is less important & used Benzima as an example. Firstly you don’t understand the difference between club football & int cricket & neither anytime about Benzima .

If you feel IPL is the greatest thing since slice bread & more important than any other competition , it’s your right but actual cricketers feel differently

Looks like my 6 point truth bomb went over your head. No where did I mentioned IPL is the greatest thing since slice bread and have condemned it for 'too long' a tournament.

However, I am against this term 'national duty'. Players play for their cricket board and gets paid in return. Its no duty for them...LOL. If a player select to play for their franchise over their cricket board, like NZ players did when they send their 2nd string players to Pakistan, one should refrain from doubting their patriotism.

Looks like my 6 point truth bomb went over your head. No where did I mentioned IPL is the greatest thing since slice bread and have condemned it for 'too long' a tournament.

However, I am against this term 'national duty'. Players play for their cricket board and gets paid in return. Its no duty for them...LOL. If a player select to play for their franchise over their cricket board, like NZ players did when they send their 2nd string players to Pakistan, one should refrain from doubting their patriotism.

It was poor bringing in football & Karim .

It’s for money . No player enjoys playing for Bhangra riders than his nation otherwise . England players want to play v Pak at home , after picking up easy cash in Bombay

It’s for money . No player enjoys playing for Bhangra riders than his nation otherwise . England players want to play v Pak at home , after picking up easy cash in Bombay

Why do you think NZ players choose IPL over tour of Pak?

Irfan Pathan would obviously put India first and it is understandable what he said but international players playing in any leagues should put their country first and this is what England players have done and for me they have done the right thing here by leaving IPL and made themselves available to play the series against Pakistan.

Jos Buttler said he was happy to return from the IPL but said the international cricket should not clash with the tournament in the future.

"It's really important for us to spend that time together," Buttler said.

"Looking back to the 50-over World Cup, the performance was so poor you can point your finger back at stuff like preparation.

"Rob Key [England managing director of men's cricket] asked me and I said as an England captain my main priority is to be playing for England.

"My personal opinion is there shouldn't be any international cricket that clashes with the IPL. These games have been in the calendar a long time."

He lives in India not Pakistan that he needs to show anything to be safe. Don't mix up countries.

Toe the line? You mean being a patriotic Indian?

Every muslim i have met are very true towards their motherland, that's India.

Buttler says in future International matches should not clash with IPL.

I doubt international players are going to take the opinion of people whose country is banned from the IPL, seriously.

Jos Buttler said he was happy to return from the IPL but said the international cricket should not clash with the tournament in the future.

"Looking back to the 50-over World Cup, the performance was so poor you can point your finger back at stuff like preparation.

"Rob Key [England managing director of men's cricket] asked me and I said as an England captain my main priority is to be playing for England.

"My personal opinion is there shouldn't be any international cricket that clashes with the IPL. These games have been in the calendar a long time."

Basically Jos Butler seems to be not very happy that he had to leave IPL midway and come back for internationals.

He is asking not to put any bilateral meaningless international matches when Daddy league is going on.

Buttler says in future International matches should not clash with IPL.

I doubt international players are going to take the opinion of people whose country is banned from the IPL, seriously.
It's a shame that while they may feel some loyalty towards India people dont have any towards them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically Jos Butler seems to be not very happy that he had to leave IPL midway and come back for internationals.

He is asking not to put any bilateral meaningless international matches when Daddy league is going on.

Have you even read the statement you've quoted? He's quite clearly saying the IPL shouldn't be organised to clash with the international cricket that he considers more important. The games that have been 'in the calendar a long time' are the internationals, not the IPL games.

Bro I think you read the first sentence and started jumping up and down without reading the rest

Can see the conundrum in Butler. On the one hand he loves to play for his country. But on the other hand does not want to shake the apple cart on some life changing lucrative employment playing IPL. This likely reflects the opinion of several players. They wish that their national duties not clash with IPL.

I think these things will be ironed out going forward. There is always a solution. Deals can be made and will be made. Especially with IPL set to expand regular season games over the next 2-3 years.

Butler is trying to remain in the good books of IPL management by saying nothing serious against IPL like international is my priority and I will leave leagues for my National duty etc. He said a 2-sided thing that can be understood in different ways by different people. Nice shot butler.

Butler is trying to remain in the good books of IPL management by saying nothing serious against IPL like international is my priority and I will leave leagues for my National duty etc. He said a 2-sided thing that can be understood in different ways by different people. Nice shot butler.
Right on. I think this is the similar situation that other Eng. players are in. They would have likely said something similar to make sure they are in the good books of both ECB and IPL. I am sure deals will be made in the future between the IPL and ECB.

Aus. players will likely never be affected by the IPL schedule. WI player do not care about their board. CSA goes out of the way to make sure their players are available for IPL. NZ player have a deal in place with NZC regards the IPL. SLC is only too happy to bend over backwards to the IPL.

Butler is clearly unhappy that he had to leave IPL and come back. It looks like Rob Key arm twisted him. His heart is clearly with Rajasthan Royals tonight where he would love to be a part of eliminator against RCB rather than playing a bilateral T20 game against Pakistan. Just check his instagram posts...how happy he looks throughout IPL...dancing, singing and what not. Just wow. No such posts while playing for England and he simply goes through the motion. We Indians are with Jos bhai at this time of crisis.

"Few people who had earlier committed to this aren’t with the ECB now" - Arun Dhumal opens up on England players leaving before IPL 2024 playoffs

England players once again left the Indian Premier League (IPL) early and they returned home for the T20I series against Pakistan. The start of England's season often overlaps with the IPL 2024 playoffs and the English players often miss the second stage. Once again, they left the tournament early for England duties.

Arun Dhumal, the chairman of IPL, has addressed the issue of England players leaving IPL early. Speaking to Sportstar, Dhumal said: "We have had good discussions with the ECB and hopefully, it won’t happen again in the future. A few people who had earlier committed to this aren’t with the ECB now, but ideally, even if there was a change of guard, things should have happened the way it was planned."

“We have always discussed with all the boards regarding the player availability and in case a player needs to go back due to genuine reasons, we definitely allow that. They have been quite cooperative so far, so all the players and the Board are aligned with the success of this tournament and love being part of the IPL."

Jos Buttler, Phil Salt, Will Jacks and Reece Topley are four England players who are missing the IPL 2024 playoffs. Buttler plays for Rajasthan Royals while Salt is part of Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR). Jacks and Topley are part of Royal Challengers Bengaluru.

SOURCE: TIMES NOW

Looks like some kind of deal was in place with the ECB. But the new people in charge have not honored it. I am sure the ECB will be reminded of this deal one more time. Things will fall in line and the IPL will be happy again.

Michael Vaughan speaking during an interview on social media:

“I think England has missed the trick by sending all their players home. I think Will Jacks, Phil Salt, and Jos Buttler, in particular, playing in the IPL in the eliminations, pressure, crowd, and expectation. I would argue that playing here is better preparation than playing a T20 game against Pakistan.”

“I'm all for international cricket, but now and again, this tournament in particular, it's so exposed to pressure. And these players are under a huge amount of pressure from fans, owners, and social media, it's massive. I just felt particularly those two and Jos Buttler, probably not as much, but I still think he could have stayed here. But Will Jacks and Phil Salt would have been better-prepared staying here, playing in the IPL than going back to Headingly to play a game or two.”

“I understand in a way why, because the 50 over, obviously World Cup didn't go so well, and there was a lot of swapping and changing in the New Zealand-Ireland series, leading into that 50 Over World Cup in India. And they got a bit of criticism for that, but you know, there wasn't an IPL in September that the players were playing in. This tournament is so pressurized and the skill levels are so high, you could argue. I'm not disrespecting Pakistan or the England side. They haven't been playing a lot of T20 cricket together. But I would say the standard here would possibly be better than the game that we're going to see at Headingley on Wednesday night.”

Michael Vaughan speaking during an interview on social media:

“I think England has missed the trick by sending all their players home. I think Will Jacks, Phil Salt, and Jos Buttler, in particular, playing in the IPL in the eliminations, pressure, crowd, and expectation. I would argue that playing here is better preparation than playing a T20 game against Pakistan.”

“I'm all for international cricket, but now and again, this tournament in particular, it's so exposed to pressure. And these players are under a huge amount of pressure from fans, owners, and social media, it's massive. I just felt particularly those two and Jos Buttler, probably not as much, but I still think he could have stayed here. But Will Jacks and Phil Salt would have been better-prepared staying here, playing in the IPL than going back to Headingly to play a game or two.”

“I understand in a way why, because the 50 over, obviously World Cup didn't go so well, and there was a lot of swapping and changing in the New Zealand-Ireland series, leading into that 50 Over World Cup in India. And they got a bit of criticism for that, but you know, there wasn't an IPL in September that the players were playing in. This tournament is so pressurized and the skill levels are so high, you could argue. I'm not disrespecting Pakistan or the England side. They haven't been playing a lot of T20 cricket together. But I would say the standard here would possibly be better than the game that we're going to see at Headingley on Wednesday night.”

When asked about this comment from Vaughan, Haris Rauf said that "I have never heard anything like this, and I want to make no comment about it" :D

Standard being better is usually English code word for ££££££.

Indian team hasn't won an ICC tournament in donkeys years despite all of their set up playing at this 'high standard'.

Indian team hasn't won an ICC tournament in donkeys years despite all of their set up playing at this 'high standard'.
How many ICC trophies did the West Indies and Imran Khan's Pakistan team of the 80's won? ZERO. India on the other hand won the 83' WC and 85' Benson & Hedges Tournament. So which out of those 3 teams were better in the 80's?

How many ICC trophies did the West Indies and Imran Khan's Pakistan team of the 80's won? ZERO. India on the other hand won the 83' WC and 85' Benson & Hedges Tournament. So which out of those 3 teams were better in the 80's?
India had some wonderful achievements in the 80's that deserve praise. You have been watching cricket for a long time and you know for sure that back then Bilateral series ( especially test) were more ( or equally) prestigious than ICC events. Only in modern times due to the dilution of international cricket due to leagues is why ICC events hold a a much higher rating.

However, we are talking about players playing in the IPL vs International series in preparation for a World Cup.

You tell me, if the IPL was good preparation for a WC, why India have struggled in the T20 WC in recent times? Commentators will chop and change depending on where their bread is being buttered and what way the wind is going. During the IPL they will say its great, when India lose in an ICC tournament they lament the fact that Indians cannot play other leagues or in the IPL they don't face high quality bowling ( Matthew Hayden has said this for example).

My criticism wasn't towards India or even the IPL which is the strongest of franchise leagues. For me, international cricket is a higher standard than any league in the world, and representing your country is the strongest preparation before a world event.

During a podcast show, former Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez said:

"It really shocked me. The statement given by Jos Buttler, coming out of the IPL season and representing his own country as captain, is quite surprising. He said that there should not be any international cricket clashing with the IPL. What do you make of this statement? How would you take it?"

To this, Michael Vaughan replied during the podcast:

"I actually agree with Jos Buttler. The IPL juggernaut has become so big that it's unlikely to be matched by other international leagues around the world. I think players prioritize the IPL over representing their country because they're so well rewarded. National pride should come before personal gain, but that's just the reality in 2024."

"The IPL is a massive entity, making it hard for international boards to compete. So, allowing players to participate is the safest option. Next year, another Pakistan Super League will compete with the IPL, affecting the English summer more than any other country. Many English players will be playing in the IPL and PSL, causing a lot of players to miss the county game and cricket schedule in April and May, which will be a great shame."

Last edited:

That's the issue here. Even if it is only for ££££££, you will have to respect the commitment. Just because it is ££££££, international duty shouldn't surpass the IPL duty unless told beforehand.

That's the issue here. Even if it is only for ££££££, you will have to respect the commitment. Just because it is ££££££, international duty shouldn't surpass the IPL duty unless told beforehand.
Agreed.

Back