Can Hashim Amla become the best ever non-Asian Test batsman in Asia?

Will Hashim Amla become the best non-Asian Test batsman ever in Asia?

• Yes

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
Captains are always rated after a while only.

Anyways, I am not saying he shouldn't be given credit for captaincy at all. Every captain who wins a series gets credit. Everyone. Goes without saying.

But let's not make that a feature of Amla yet.

He had a good team and he was fine as captain.

See speed's comment.

No, captains are not rated after a while. Where are you getting this from? If Misbah retires and Azhar's first ever series as captain is the one against England next year, and his team ends up winning, you can put your house on the line and say that he'll be hyped up to the moon and lauded by experts everywhere.

You said that Amla doesn't deserve credit for that series victory and seem to suggest that he was merely "fine" as captain when he was actually quite good. If you've changed your mind then there is no debate here. I disagree that Amla's "biggest achievement" is that series win too.

Okay, as for the topic, I don't think Amla will get to ten centuries by the end of the upcoming series. He might not even score a single one, this time.

No, captains are not rated after a while. Where are you getting this from? If Misbah retires and Azhar's first ever series as captain is the one against England next year, and his team ends up winning, you can put your house on the line and say that he'll be hyped up to the moon and lauded by experts everywhere.

You said that Amla doesn't deserve credit for that series victory and seem to suggest that he was merely "fine" as captain when he was actually quite good. If you've changed your mind then there is no debate here. I disagree that Amla's "biggest achievement" is that series win too.

See the post for which I replied to.

The post was Amla's biggest achievement was winning in SL on the first try.

I don't rate Amla's captaincy to the skies just after 1 series just like I wouldn't for any other captain. We can talk about potential (that people do) but its no highlight of the series (unless he has done some groundbreaking stuff which he hasn't) and that's how it goes in general too.

Everyone rates like this only.

Okay, as for the topic, I don't think Amla will get to ten centuries by the end of the upcoming series. He might not even score a single one, this time.

but he can still get them in next tour to asia. when is SA touring UAE again?

Amla is a superb player against spin, perhaps the best in the world since Sangakarra's retirement. However, I don't get the point of him playing T20s, it's not a natural format for him and although SA do not have as much of a concentrated schedule as the likes of India and England do, they still play their fair share of Tests and ODIs, thus it would be possible for Amla to focus on those two formats, where he excels as well as being rested and prepped for the Tests vs India.

Yeah, he's exceptionally good against spin even by South African standards. His Indian roots have surely helped.

This for me sums it up, although I was born and raised in England I could play spin better than most I think most British Asians I have seen are good at spin. Then if you look at Amla you can see why. :)

Should reach 10,000 runs in ODIs and Tests at an average of 50 + which would cement his ATG status.

InshAllah Amla will prevail over Cook. Our prayers are with him.

Depends on how he plays Ashwin. Last time in Sri Lanka, he was far better than de Villiers.

Amla should be able to at least match Kallis. A batsman of his calibre should be able to get one ton in 4 tests at least. I dont think Ashwin will trouble him that much. Ashwin is lethal against lefties. Owned Sanga. But against a world class played of spin like Amla will be interesting to see how Ashwin goes will be an interesting battle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Amla is a better batsman than Kallis, no question.

Depends on how he plays Ashwin. Last time in Sri Lanka, he was far better than de Villiers.

Having watched that series, I feel Amla has a far better technique against test class spin while AB relies more on his gifted reflexes and unconventional & premeditated shots. Of course, being Indian, he must be having those natural spin playing genes :p

I thonk best non asian batsman in asia is kallis though he was quite poor in srilanka. but he was brilliant in india ,pakistan and in uae.
amla and cook is capable to be best in asia.

Amla is a better batsman than Kallis, no question.
In all formats yes. But in Tests Kallis was a monster. Amla can overtake him but Kallis is ahead by quite a bit still.

Did Bilal hack your account.

I don't have any high expectations for this series at all. Amla and the rest of the South Africans are likely to be exhausted by the time the middle of the test series and a couple of heavy defeats are incoming.

I don't have any high expectations for this series at all. Amla and the rest of the South Africans are likely to be exhausted by the time the middle of the test series and a couple of heavy defeats are incoming.

Obviously only SA are playing this series that they will get tired.

Try thinking this one through, you'll get it eventually.

The likes of Kohli etc. are only playing 1 format that they won't get tired whereas the South Africans will.

BTW wasn't it SA with the bigger break coming into this series ?

Also making excuses for your heroes doesn't look too good.

The likes of Kohli etc. are only playing 1 format that they won't get tired whereas the South Africans will.

BTW wasn't it SA with the bigger break coming into this series ?

Also making excuses for your heroes doesn't look too good.

The South Africans are the touring side, which means that they'll be away from their families in a foreign country while continually having to adjust to the different pitches that they encounter on their tour of India. It is obviously a lot more taxing on the visiting side to keep their performances from dipping on a 72 day tour, when compared to the home side that knows the conditions well and is never removed from their comfort zone, with the crowd cheering them on.

The South Africans are the touring side, which means that they'll be away from their families in a foreign country while continually having to adjust to the different pitches that they encounter on their tour of India. It is obviously a lot more taxing on the visiting side to keep their performances from dipping on a 72 day tour, when compared to the home side that knows the conditions well and is never removed from their comfort zone, with the crowd cheering them on.

They're professional cricketers and are expected to perform well wherever they go - that's a poor excuse.

Amla is pure class.

Just a wrong judgement in 2nd innings.

I am starting to admire Amla the test batsman after how he played the first innings.

Dunno how he will fare in this series (cos he is in bad form).

KW has a chance at this, he's one of the better players of spin and already has 4 100's in Asia at the age of 25.

Last edited:
[MENTION=135445]Strike Rate[/MENTION] [MENTION=129948]Bilal7[/MENTION] - Sinking ship or just poor form? :13:
[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Amla is pure class.

Just a wrong judgement in 2nd innings.

I am starting to admire Amla the test batsman after how he played the first innings.

Dunno how he will fare in this series (cos he is in bad form).

Also admire the way he threw his wicket in both the innings.

Cook is ahead of Amla now. 2015 was a really bad year for Amla in Asia not even a single 50 in those 4 Test matches after this thread was created...

Lets see how he performs on his next tour to Asia...

Cook is ahead of Amla now. 2015 was a really bad year for Amla in Asia not even a single 50 in those 4 Test matches after this thread was created...

Lets see how he performs on his next tour to Asia...

Amla seems to be declining fast, he's not the consistent run machine he was before. Don't think he can catch Cook now.

Amla seems to be declining fast, he's not the consistent run machine he was before. Don't think he can catch Cook now.

I kinda agree Cook still have age on his side to make it even more better...

In my opinion, Peak Amla > Peak Cook.

But Cook might end with a better career because of his longevity.

Back