Close day1 , Match 3 - Discussion [24/03/05]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romali_rotti

Senior T20I Player
Runs
On wining the toss and batting well, you guys are on your way to a comfortable win, Inzi looking wonderful & useless batting good too..... Still wish Butt was selected though... |-W

well romali rotti...we all know how much fortunes can change when it comes to pak-india test matches

Close day1 , Match 3 - Discussion

superb day for pakistan after being in trouble on 7/2.

majestic tons by inzi in his 100th test and YK have put pakistan in firm control of the match thus far.

inzi 184* YK 127* the not out batsmen...!

pak 323/2

great inings from inzy yet again. i just feel that he dosnt get as much recognition as the likes of brian lara and the rest of them. great batter for pakistan great legend

Last ball of the day Inzi smacks it for four.

Just a different class. If the ball is there to be hit it doesn't matter whether it's the first or last ball of the day Inzy will put it away.

An excellent day for Pakistan. We must ensre that we only have to bat once. This means that we must at the whole of tomorrow

inshallah pakistan can go on and get big total unlike last test.... inzi/yk shud rest up and be prepared to bat loads tmoz!

its gonna be tough to get india out twice on this pitch, but first we must score a minium 520 atleast know

should pak make something like 600 so that the indians will be marred mentally and fold for somewhere around 300-400, so that maybe we could enforce a follow on, or would scoring so big take up too much time and lead the game into a draw situation?

In a word - Fantastic

Operation 'Rescue Series & Careers' is underway with a bang. The mission on Day 1 wouldve been - bat the whole day losing as few wickets as possible.

No doubt, after the patheticness that followed the brilliance from Pak's last 1st innings, the mission on Day 2 should be - bat the whole day losing as few wickets as possible*

*: (Please ya Allah please!)

amazing innings from Inzi. he is there with Lara and Sachin. true champion. one of the few batsman who has improved a lot after becoming captain. and moreover with this inexperience team.

I hope Pakistan dont slip the advantage yet again. morning session is imp tomorrow. we have to be very careful. less than 500 wont be acceptable. though i dont see a result on this pitch but may be if we are able to get 550+ INSHALLAH then hope hope for the best that Dani and Arshad can do something. best of luck Pak

Don't think Pakistan will enforce the follow on.

However let's not get ahead of ourselves. We first need to see if we are still batting at tea-time tomorrow. If we are then I suggest that we would declare mid-way through the evening session. This would give ourselves a 45 minute period in which to blast out some of the Indian batters.

Lara & Sachin....
No Lara & Dravid. Dravid is the best, currently ranked No1, and India's best ever. He is much better than Sachin.

Mashallah it was a great performance, chanceless, simply brilliant. But the job is only half done! It is imperative pakistan don't throw the advantage away. We should look to bat 3/4 of tommorow and then give ourselves a chance at the indian batsmen. Inshallah pak can square the series here.

guys just enjoy 2day for what it is... you u neva know what pakistan team will turn up tmoz... weve seen this b4 in last 2 tests... 1 good partnership followed by nothing.

inshallah we will build on it... but u neva know. forget we can do this or shud do this... coz expectations always seem to fail!

True amjid just enjoy this moment guys !!!

We did well to day but inshallah we can carry on tomorrow and not thorw away this good position!

if we are able to bat till tea we need to declare cause we need to get 20 wickets !!!

we need to make sure we bat ALL DAY tomorrow

I don't think we should declare. Provided we can keep the wickets in hand, we bat all day tomorrow we are looking at something in the region of 600-650. Very early days I know.......we could easily collapse like we did last time. But hopefully our batsman would have learnt from the mistakes.

Then the question is can we bowl them out in 3 days with this attack ?

3 days are enough to put pressure and then you never knowwwww

it would be good to declare towards the final session of the day tomorrow..

because the indian players will be really tired and exhausted after almost a whole days' fielding..then our fresh bowlers can take advantage by picking up atleast ONE quick wicket

Well Congratulations INZI (the legend) for his GREAT and entertaining knock and credit should go to Younis Khan as well who provided him a SOLID support.
As Amjid said let's not worry about tomorrow and just enjoy the rare moments :-D ........... I hope we get a GOOD total tomorrow but let's not predict 500 or 600 like last time. I really think we have better chance of scoring a big total than last time because it was a 3rd day pitch and there was more turn, this time it's only 2nd day and INZI is still there so let's hope we get a big one :) :) INSHALLAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Pak must aim to bat when the pitch is good for batting - i.e. first 2-3 days - when the pitch does deteriorate ( days 3-5) Pak needs to be bowling.

Easier said than done.....

Todays match report From Rediff - always love to read what the other side has to say....

Inzamam, Younis on song

Ashish Magotra | March 24, 2005 12:35 IST
Last Updated: March 24, 2005 18:23 IST

When Inzamam-ul Haq strode out to the centre on day one of the Bangalore Test, Pakistan were struggling at seven for two. The Indian bowlers were on a high and raring to have a go at the Pakistan skipper, who was playing his 100th Test.

In just a few overs, the complexion of the match changed.

Inzamam's languid approach to life often disguises his fierce competitive spirit. This immensely powerful man threw caution to the winds and counter-attacked superbly. Younis Khan, his trusty deputy, complimented him perfectly.

At the end of the day, the duo had shared an unfinished 316-run partnership and led Pakistan to a formidable 323 for two.

Inzamam is unbeaten on 184, his highest score against India, while Younis is on 127.

Morning session (29 overs, 93 runs, 2 wickets)

Inzamam won the toss for the first time in the series and elected to bat on a barren pitch, expected to help spinners later in the match.

The visitors made two changes, opening batsman Yasir Hameed coming in for left-hander Taufeeq Umar and tall off-spinner Arshad Khan replacing left-arm medium-pacer Mohammad Khalil to play his first Test in nearly five years. India stuck to the squad that won the Kolkata Test by 195 runs.

Pakistan's biggest problem in this series has been inconsistency in team selection. The opening combination and bowling attack has changed in every Test and even those in the team, with the exception of a few players, are unsure about what the future holds for them.

It shows in the way the players bat; they are eager to impress and want to play too many shots. But Test cricket is a patient man's game.

Shahid Afridi has never had patience. He isn't your orthodox opener; in fact, he isn't an opener. He is more of a stopgap solution. In Kolkata, he came off spectacularly in the second innings and had India on the mat before he gave it away.

Here, he edged the first ball he faced -- a straight delivery angling into the batsman -- straight to Rahul Dravid at first slip to give Laxmipathy Balaji his first wicket of the match. Afridi was gone for a duck and Pakistan were reduced to 4 for 1.

Next over, Irfan Pathan got into the act and dismissed Hameed. A good length delivery, pitched just outside the off stump, drew the batsman out. The right-hander pushed at it and ended up with a faint edge straight to the keeper. (7 for 2)

Two wickets in two overs and Pakistan were in big trouble. But Younis and Inzamam batted with such languid ease that one would be forced to believe otherwise.

They showed the true nature of the pitch and also the inadequacies of the opening batsmen.

After one hour of play, Pakistan were 40 for 2 and looking increasingly assured.

The fifty-run partnership for the third wicket came off 102 balls. The running between wickets was again very good, and it was supplemented by Inzamam's superb stroke-play.

Runs were scored on both sides of the wicket and that meant the bowlers were not really maintaining a strict line outside the off-stump. The field placing was fine-tuned, and there were more close-in fielders.

The Pakistan skipper looked very comfortable at the wicket, as he did in the first two Tests as well before giving his wicket away. Will he be able to make it count this time round?

He reached his fifty with a four off Harbhajan Singh in the last over before lunch. It took him 85 balls, including nine boundaries. The 35-year old looked particularly comfortable against the spinners.

Anil Kumble conceded 13 runs off 15 balls while Harbhajan, 18 off 25.

At lunch, Pakistan were 93 for 2, with Inzamam batting on 55 (87 balls) and Younis on 29 (76 balls).

Post-Lunch session (109 runs, 30 overs)

Inzamam and Younis came out after the lunch break all guns blazing. In the first seven overs of the session, 39 runs came at 5.57, which is exactly the scenario India would have been looking to avoid.

Having seen the way the batsmen batted in the first session, Ganguly would have hoped that the break would allow his bowlers to fight back. Instead, the team was sent on a leather hunt by Inzamam, in particular.

After an hour's play in the session, Pakistan had scored 162 for 2. Younis posted his 11th Test fifty off 115 balls, inclusive of six boundaries.

The Indian attack had run out of ideas. Runs were flowing on both sides of the wicket. Inzamam's drives through the cover region were a joy to watch. The pitch is really good for batting at the moment, but the hot weather means that after a day or two the spinners will start to come into play. Till then the batsmen will dominate.

The ideal strategy at this point for Ganguly would have been to cut off the boundaries. The Indians bowlers tried but, maybe, they were guilty of trying too hard, because from almost every bowler a bad ball would come along and the batsmen would take full toll.

Soon the inevitable happened. Inzamam scored his 21st Test century off 131 balls, inclusive of 15 fours, at a good strike rate of 76.3. He became only the fifth player to score a century in his 100th Test.

Pakistan were now firmly in the driver's seat on a perfect batting wicket. There is some turn on this track but it is slow and the batsmen have the opportunity to adjust before they play the shot. It is odd to see a benign track like this for the deciding Test of a series.

At tea, Pakistan were 202 for 2, with Younis Khan batting on 72 (173 balls) and Inzamam on 119 (171 balls). In the 30-over session, the visitors scored 109 runs at 3.63.

Post Tea session (31 overs, 121 runs)

Such was Pakistan's domination in the final session of the day that the match ceased to be a contest. Nothing the Indians tried had any effect on the Pakistani batsmen. The visitors dug in for the long haul; they wanted to make sure that they would not relinquish the advantage late in the day.

The pitch is a belter and one only sees the ball starting to stay a little lower as the match goes on. Only if the Indians bat really badly will we see a result.

But that takes nothing away from the way the Pakistani duo batted. The pitch was easy paced and for the first time in the series the batsmen were driving off the front foot in front of square.

Perhaps, the only other point of interest during the day was the a number of records that fell by the wayside.

The first to go was the 246-run partnership between Hanif Mohammad and Saeed Ahmed in 1960, which was the highest partnership for any wicket for Pakistan in India. Then, Clyde Walcott and Gerry Gomes' record of highest partnership for any wicket against India in India, 267 at Delhi way back in 1948-49, was also overtaken.

This was history in the making and the ease with which Inzamam and Younis played meant that the partnership wasn't going to end anytime soon.

Such was the mastery of the pair that despite the defensive field that was employed by India, runs kept coming at a good pace.

The new ball, taken in the 84th over, was India's only hope of affecting a breakthrough. But even that failed to trouble the batsmen. It was almost as if both were having a knock in the nets.

Inzamam stood like a colossus, oblivious to hype and pressure. His touch was majestic as was his temperament. Younis, at the other end, was the perfect foil. The Pakistan vice-captain, who hit his second Test ton in as many matches, kept taking the singles and feeding the strike to Inzamam. But when the chance to have a go at the bowling came across, he wasn't shy either.

A four off the last ball of the day by Younis ended the day in a fitting manner for the visitors. [Eh ? Wasnt that Inzi who hit it ? ] It underlined the mental state of both teams.

Batsmen generally look to play out the last over and rush back to the safety of the dressing room. But such was the confidence of Inzamam and Younis, that they just didn't want to go off. In fact, the Indians were glad see the last of today.

Inzamam, 184 off 263 deliveries with 25 boundaries, and Younis, 127 off 267 with 12 boundaries and one six, have shared an unfinished 316-run partnership. Pakistan reached a formidable 323 for two at the close of play.

In the 31-over session, Pakistan scored 121 runs. India will have their work cut out in the morning and hope to get one of the overnight batsmen as quickly as possible.

Absolutely superb stuff from Inzi and YK. Looked in complkete control with the most likely partnership breaker being a run out at times.

Inzi meant business and it was his day, great supporting role from YK.

However a word of caution, lets not waste day 1 efforts on day 2.

It'll be crucial that Inzy and Younis not get out early tomorrow - if they can go on with it they'll set a platform for a really good first innings score by tea, which is when I reckon they should send India in to bat. The run rate is good at 3.6, they should be around 500+ by tea, then they can really put some pressure on India. I don't fancy India's chances chasing big totals, I saw them fold in both Bangalore and Nagpur trying to overcome a big second innings deficit. What's the pitch like? If it's a featherbed Pakistan will need as much time as possible to bowl India out.

Excellent knocks under pressure from those two by the way.

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD!!!!

what a performance 2day from pak, 7-2 and now 300 odd for 2, all i can say is great effort from the big man, what a way to mark his 100th test, a true legend! though i feel he is underated!

INZI ZINDABAD!!

Superb Performance by Pak..Im hoping that Ind take these two out quickly tomorrow and try to restrict Pak to somewhere in the region of 500 or so..Ind has to bat and bowl awfully well to stay in this match while Pak has to bat and bowl awfully bad to lose this one.Will be interesting to see which team buckles..If both teams dont play badly,this one is gonna be a draw!
btw..What an astounding knock by Inzi and an equally good one by Younous Khan..If only YK jumps out of his crease again!

Absolutely superb stuff from Inzi and YK. Looked in complkete control with the most likely partnership breaker being a run out at times.

Inzi meant business and it was his day, great supporting role from YK.

However a word of caution, lets not waste day 1 efforts on day 2.

It has been a brilliant day, Inzi and YK have been magnificent!
BUT its important we dont fold like the last test match, i dont wanna make any predictions of how much we should make cos i will be dissapointed like the last time.

The big question is can we get 20 Indian wickets, its all well and good scoring runs BUT if you cant bowl them out then its pointless. I think if we get a big total then it will give our bowlers some freedom and something to bowl at. Unless im mistaken i dont think our bowlers have had a big score behind them which always puts them under pressure. Inshallah a big total from us will give the bowlers a boost.

I think we can, Sami is bowling well, Razzaq can bowl reverse swing which is available on this wicket.

pitch will hold up for 3 days and then crumble so pakistan shud look 2 bat once.

The turning points in the previous game were losing Youhana early on day 3 and YK early on day 5.

If we can avoid losing either of these two set batsmen early tomorrow then with the ball getting older we will be on target for a very big score - in excess of 525.

If however if one of these falls early tomorrow then we could see a similar collapse as last time.

Personally I think Pakistan will still be batting at tea-time tomorrow. Famous last words maybe!

We had a good day today but we must not get carried away with our strong position. We should learn from the mistakes that we made last time from a near enough similar position.

We need at least 600 and should try to bat as much as possible tomorrow. We also have to realise that with the wicket being flat, India are likely to score heavily aswell so they might just bat slowly and aim for a draw.

Ideally, we will bowl India out and gain a lead of 250-300 at least and then go from there.

Great day, they made us proud. Dont think that ganguly will get much sleep though!

Well done inzi and younis, great batting, simply excellent! Top class.

"Only if the Indians bat really badly will we see a result"

Lets hope not!!! THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO LEVEL THE SERIES. BAT ONCE, BAT BIG. THE PAK BOWLERS WILL HAVE THEIR TAILS UP AND BOWL WITH CONFIDENCE.

If we win here, we will wipe the floor with India in the one day series

I want to see some positive batting from Inzamam tomorrow, none of this selfish preserve your wicket stuff that was going on today!

Muhammed I am not sure if you were watching the same match as the rest of us.. 184 at a strike rate of 76 does not exactly qualify as selfish batting.

Cartman said:
Muhammed I am not sure if you were watching the same match as the rest of us.. 184 at a strike rate of 76 does not exactly qualify as selfish batting.

1st off all muhammed is a respect poster on this board and the old PP board. 2ndly he was being sarcastic...! which is the good thing about his posts!

dont jump the gun every 2 mins!

Thanks for "color coding" it for me AJ.

Maybe orange should be assigned for sarcasm!

What an innings from Inzi and Younis! I can't believe they are at around 300/2 despite being 7/2 at one stage.

Inzi holds the key - he keeps his nerve and wicket - Pak will cross 600 by end of Day 2! simple !

pak should be looking to bat positively and declare in the middle of last session of day 2 and pick up just 1 wicket. That is what i'd consider a success at the moment. Need to rack on as many runsin 65-75 overs tomorrow, and les pray YK gets 200 and inzi goes on to make a big one 250+. Cuz int hat situation, razzler will come in firing on all guns |-<

Well done Inzi and Younis. I just hope we don't mess it up from here.

I thought Ganguly went on the defensive far too early. He had a sweeper on the off side boundary just after lunch.

I think his mindset was one of defence and preserving their one nil lead. A dangerous tactic in my opinion.

Inzy and Younis should aim for 600 ..bat once ..bat big was the mantra of Australians ... Bat India out of this match ...and get Dravid twice somehow (even jamaal gotaa will do !!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back