Communists vs Hindu Nationalists in India's freedom struggle

anikrc1

Tape Ball Star
Runs
Bjp has tried to portray communists as anti-nationals. I think it can be a valid exercise to recount the roles of communists and Hindu Nationalists in India's freedom struggle. Which group do you think took a bigger part?

Both had a minor role at best. I would say Communists had support from the revolutionaries like Bhagat Singh, Azad etc but at the end their focus was narrow against business owners and zamindars. Hindu Nationalists is not a term that should be used for the likes of Hindu Mahasabha or VHP during the British rule. They were just about the traditional rights of orthodox Hindus.

1. Savarkar and Mahasabha actively sabotaged freedom struggle along with Muslim League and actually should be considered a primary fear mongering tool for Muslim League for the idea of Pakistan.
2. Communists for all their ills, were the ONLY party to support the Royal Navy Mutineers of 1946. This under-reported incident in history was the last major straw that forced exit of British from India. When both Congress and Muslim League, busy in their power struggle, betrayed the Navy mutiny, Communists stood by them.

We are not taught in schools the role played by both Communists and Hindu Nationalists. We are only brainwashed in schools that Gandhi and Nehru gave us freedom. A brief mention of Indian National army (Bose) is made. I did not hear the name of Savarkar until internet became a thing in India. Congress took special care to not give any mention to Hindu Mahasabha or Savarkar in any of the curriculum.

Regarding Communists, they are the Chinese proxy in India. Their role is to oppose the modernization and kick out capitalists from opening any industry. We have seen how Communists destroyed Bengal. Bengali posters can tell us in detail.

They had an integral role in our freedom struggle but their betrayal(to be precise - a subset of them) at 1962 should not be forgotten. Naxals are still out most serious issue as said by Manmohan. Even for CPI which took part in general elections, some of the statements in their manifesto is questionable (abolition of nuclear weapons?!)

Regarding Communists, they are the Chinese proxy in India. Their role is to oppose the modernization and kick out capitalists from opening any industry. We have seen how Communists destroyed Bengal. Bengali posters can tell us in detail.
I heard from my parents they opposed the implementation of computer during the IT boom because of fears it may result in job loss.. well suffice to say, that didn't age well. Bangalore has become an IT hub and we have still a long way to go. Such luddite thinking never bears well. When they came to power, everyone expected them to do well, to do good for the people...

We are not taught in schools the role played by both Communists and Hindu Nationalists. We are only brainwashed in schools that Gandhi and Nehru gave us freedom. A brief mention of Indian National army (Bose) is made. I did not hear the name of Savarkar until internet became a thing in India. Congress took special care to not give any mention to Hindu Mahasabha or Savarkar in any of the curriculum.

Because Savarkar hardly did anything apart from multiple attempts to sabotage Congress all through the freedom struggle. Basic political compromises allowed Savarkar from avoiding conviction in Gandhi's assassination. Never had any mass support or cared about actual masses. Savarkar grumbled about Ambedkar, Gandhi and Nehru.
So zero support among the backward castes, zero among the normal masses , just an ammunition for the Pakistan idea for Muslim League.
You have conveniently skipped talking about Saradar Patel who literally wanted to decimate any semblance of RSS and Hindu Mahasabha after Mahtama Gandhi's assassination.

Communists followed what communists in the rest of the world did. Under the colonial rule, their strikes atleast affected the British and again total respect for their stand for Navy mutiny, while Congress left them as it is.

World changes over decades and centuries. Who would believe that the Republican party of Abraham Lincoln has Donald Trump as its high Lord now. Current Congress and BJP do not represent their respective leaders of the past. Do not start putting new spin on history because the present has changed dramatically.

They had an integral role in our freedom struggle but their betrayal(to be precise - a subset of them) at 1962 should not be forgotten. Naxals are still out most serious issue as said by Manmohan. Even for CPI which took part in general elections, some of the statements in their manifesto is questionable (abolition of nuclear weapons?!)
That's post independence issue isn't it? We are talking about the role in freedom struggle here.

Bjp has tried to portray communists as anti-nationals. I think it can be a valid exercise to recount the roles of communists and Hindu Nationalists in India's freedom struggle. Which group do you think took a bigger part?
Post independence, Communists have been one of the most damaging influence on Indian economy. That's well understood.
But that doesn't mean that we can wipe out their role in freedom struggle.

For freedom struggle, I have to agree reluctantly that their support was crucial. Had Bose got more support who would know what trajectory the nation would have taken.
Bose was a charismatic leader no doubt. But all his glorification is about what ifs. We get to criticize Gandhi and Nehru because they actually led. So whatever decisions were theirs and we can judge them on those actions. While Bose remains mostly a fantasy of a sweet honeymoon.
In the what ifs, he aligned with Nazis and the Japanese who were racist AF. We might not have the freedom and human rights that the UN charter guarantees us. He could have been outright great too but its all what ifs.

Both had a minor role at best. I would say Communists had support from the revolutionaries like Bhagat Singh, Azad etc but at the end their focus was narrow against business owners and zamindars. Hindu Nationalists is not a term that should be used for the likes of Hindu Mahasabha or VHP during the British rule. They were just about the traditional rights of orthodox Hindus.

1. Savarkar and Mahasabha actively sabotaged freedom struggle along with Muslim League and actually should be considered a primary fear mongering tool for Muslim League for the idea of Pakistan.
2. Communists for all their ills, were the ONLY party to support the Royal Navy Mutineers of 1946. This under-reported incident in history was the last major straw that forced exit of British from India. When both Congress and Muslim League, busy in their power struggle, betrayed the Navy mutiny, Communists stood by them.
Adding to how the white washing and imaginary patriotic deeds of Savarkar is being embedded in texts. Recently, there is subtle attempt to show that Savarkar supported the Royal Navy revolt. while only the Communists have honored the Navy Revolutionaries since 1946.No other party mentions about this. In a couple of years, BJP would be able to establish Savarkar as the leader of this revolt :p :hamster:

I think communists like R Bhattacharyya and Nandi make great contribution to the freedom struggle.

Bhagat Singh, Chandrashekhar Azad, Jatindranth das, Ramprasad Bismil, Asfaqullha Khan, Ganesh Ghosh, Kalpana Dutta.. there are too many to name. The only unblemished one in the side of Hindua Nationalists isShri Aurovinda.

Back