Do you think it was the right decision to give the Pakistan vs India match a reserve day and not for other Super 4 games?

Right decision to give the Pakistan vs India match a reserve day and not for other Super 4 games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
COLOMBO: Former Sri Lanka cricketer Charith Senanayake was the chairman of the technical committee for the 2022 Asia Cup held in Dubai and Sharjah. So he was shocked beyond belief when he learnt about the introduction of a reserve day for the India-Pakistan Super Four clash at the eleventh hour a few days ago.

The Asian Cricket Council (ACC) and Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), on whose insistence the former had to make a provision for reserve day, had already faced a lot of criticism for the decision. Charith, who played three Tests and seven ODIs for Sri Lanka, strongly believes that the decision may boomerang on Pakistan if their Super Four match against Sri Lanka on Thursday is washed out.

"Before the tournament, playing conditions are given and all the teams are made aware of them. Thereafter rules cannot be changed unless all the teams agree with it. Otherwise, it's unfair," the 60-year-old former cricketer told this daily.

"Hypothetically, if the Pakistan-Sri Lanka game is washed out, both teams will get one point each. In that scenario, on the basis of the better run rate, Sri Lanka will go through and Pakistan will be out. That's because you don't have an additional day or a reserve day. That will be very unfortunate. So the decision which apparently PCB made could boomerang on it."

Charith says the PCB has brought the tournament under scanner. "If that is the case (PCB wanting a reserve day), then there is a big question mark about the authenticity of the tournament. It becomes very questionable. It appears games (draws) were fixed because everybody was trying for an India-Pakistan final. You cannot have different rules for different boards."

He was also amazed how every tournament featuring India and Pakistan always has at least a clash between the two arch-rivals. "People tend to ask questions about how it happens all the time. To begin with, I actually don't know how the groups were drawn. Whether it was actually done or done physically. But it looks very funny. The ACC makes money only through this it seems. Everyone is trying to make money."

Not associated with Sri Lanka Cricket anymore, Senanayake now runs a business and is a member of the National Technical Committee constituted by the sports ministry in the country. Speaking on other boards remaining silent, he said, "Money talks at the end of the day. Because of such an act, the whole tournament becomes questionable. It also raises questions as to how clean this Asia Cup is. Six countries in two groups and India-Pakistan in one group. It is fixed in such a way that both teams play at least twice and if they reach the final, three times. All boards played it down because if they objected, India would refrain from visiting their countries and the boards cannot be run because India wields such power."

Charith was once involved in a verbal spat with legendary spinner Muttiah Muralitharan in 2016 when he was manager of the national team. He had then alleged Muralitharan, who was a spin bowling consultant visiting Australia, for possibly influencing the pitch curator to prepare a turning pitch to suit spinners from Down Under. He, however, affirmed that he never had any personal issues with Muralitharan and it was all a professional disagreement. "As a professional, you may have a disagreement with your colleagues. When I was manager there was an incident which involved Murali. We had a discussion and it was picked up by the media and highly exaggerated.

We spoke to each other. There was nothing personal, it was all professional. All I can say is that probably I can have many disagreements with my support staff but that doesn't mean I am angry with them or anything like that because that's my nature. I question, I am not scared to ask questions, perhaps that is the reason I have been left out. I will question because I have nothing to hide. I am very straightforward."

He also held India's favourites for both the Asia Cup and ODI World Cup. "Suryakumar Yadav, Mohammed Shami and Shardul Thakur are on the bench. When you have such a bench strength, imagine the other 11 guys playing on the field. All of them are matchwinners. Their batters, bowling both pace attack and spinners. The Indian team is a real deal. Playing in their own backyard, I will be surprised if India doesn't win the World Cup."

The reserve day should have been for all games.

A big joke. How PCB agreed to this is even more shambolic, not surprising as these stooges running the board are placed by the current corrupt incompetent circus government of Pakistan. This sport is losing respect day by day, and all driven from financial interest is what is killing the game. BICCI has ruined cricket
PCB has dollars ringing into there ears. This idea came from them. They were desperate to milk as much money as possible from this tournament. No pride.

PCB has dollars ringing into there ears. This idea came from them. They were desperate to milk as much money as possible from this tournament. No pride.

I don't really blame them.

The New Delhi Cricket Board made sure that the tournament would be a disaster for the hosts so the only positive PCB could get was the revenues out of that one game.

I don't really blame them.

The New Delhi Cricket Board made sure that the tournament would be a disaster for the hosts so the only positive PCB could get was the revenues out of that one game.
I don't understand why people in Pakistan are surprised then. BCCI/India and Indian government will do everything in its power to keep the potential of earnings by arch rivals to as low as possible, but also taking care of there own benefits/coffers when deemed necessary. It has been blatantly obvious.

Why PCB keeps going back to BCCI and keep them asking to come to Pakistan is so strange?

The reserve day should have been for all games.
Depends mate

Is it worth investing more on a game like Sri Lanka v Bangladesh with salaries for ground staff, management, media crew for a game that will not bring back hardly enough revenue?

I am surprise that PPers are surprised about such things. BCCI and ICC usually do everything in their power to favor Indian team. From scheduling to ground selection, everything is done keeping ICT's wants in mind. Not sure how many of you remember what happened during Champions League tournament in 2012. It was being hosted in SA with 4 teams from IPL and 4-6 other club teams from the rest of the world. Fearful that Delhi Daredevils-SA Highveld Lions semi-final would be washed out by rain, which would have meant that none of the 4 teams from IPL would have qualified for final and brought embarrassment to IPL. So a few hours before the match was to begun, the Champions League`s governing council announced that a reserve day had been set aside for the game. SA team Highveld Lions even threatened organizers with legal action over favouring IPL teams by this last minute rule change. Luckily for organizers, such inept was the Delhi team that inspite of rule change they lost in semis and so Highveld Lions didn't pursue the matter in court.

On the money, totally.

==

Sri Lanka's 1996 World Cup-winning captain, Arjuna Ranatunga:

"ICC is a toothless tiger. They act very unprofessionally. I think they are the ones who should protect cricket. Ultimately cricket should be controlled by ICC and not by a country. In Asia Cup, you had rules and you changed rules for one game. So where is ACC? Where is ICC?"

"I am not very comfortable when you have a tournament, where you change rules for one team. You are looking at a disaster in the future"

“Why do the other countries allow that (poor scheduling) to happen? Because the BCCI is powerful, or one particular person is powerful. No, it can't happen like that. They should have given an extra day for all the games if that was the case"

"So I will not be surprised if, for World Cup, they have a separate rule for Indo-Pak game. This is bad. India is powerful no doubt but then ICC officials are quite comfortable, happy putting coat, tie and hanky and going to meetings. ICC will keep their mouth shut and say 'OK, do it'. ICC just talks rubbish, nothing happens"

"I feel very sad for ICC and ACC because they just want to hold the positions. Former cricketers too don't open, simply because they need the bucks"

"Why did they play in Colombo when you have places like Hambantota? That ground was built to play cricket during the rainy season. And you come to Colombo to play in the Asia Cup. What is ACC doing?"

Ranatunga is right.

Despite Pakistan being the beneficiary, I (and many others) still felt this was a ridiculous decision and unfair.

I think reserve day should have been given for every game to make it fair.

But the reserve day was a welcome reality check because atleast we can improve and make changes before the cup(Which likely won't happen because of our brain dead management)

Otherwise every poster on this thread would be calling me crazy if I kept saying what I have been saying until now. This loss opened people's eyes but some are still in denial.

At the end of the day, all super four games had a result. The only game that would have got washed out is the one that had a reserve day. Win win for everyone involved.

Props to PCB , ACC or whoever it was that came up with that decision..

Thing is, if pakistan won, all of you would be saying reserve day was needed.

But because pak lost badly, everyone is like terrible decision 😂.

Thing is, if pakistan won, all of you would be saying reserve day was needed.

But because pak lost badly, everyone is like terrible decision 😂.
The point is, if reserve day is allowed then it should be happening for each team not just the INDO PAK clash. It is a bit unfair. to other teams as everybody knew that most of the Asia Cup would be rain-affected.

The point is, if reserve day is allowed then it should be happening for each team not just the INDO PAK clash. It is a bit unfair. to other teams as everybody knew that most of the Asia Cup would be rain-affected.
Read my earlier comment, I literally said reserve day should have been allowed for each team. I agree.

My point is, we wouldn't be batting an eye Lash if we had won, and we'd be saying, Reserve day zindabad.

The rules should be uniform for all teams, it was a strange decision by ACCI to grant only 2 teams a chance to earn a full 2 points instead of awarding a shared point each.

It clearly shows that the ICC is influenced by the BCCI.

Totally stupid and dictated decision from BCCI and ACC
Ruining cricket for 💰

The rules should be uniform for all teams, it was a strange decision by ACCI to grant only 2 teams a chance to earn a full 2 points instead of awarding a shared point each.

It clearly shows that the ICC is influenced by the BCCI.

Lol. It was the PCB who requested for a reserve day for this fixture. Stop blaming BCCI for all your failures and incompetence.

It was during these discussions that the PCB first raised the prospect of adding a reserve day for this game, worried about the implications of a second India-Pakistan game being washed out in a tournament of which they are officially the hosts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back