Do you think it was the right decision to give the Pakistan vs India match a reserve day and not for other Super 4 games?

Right decision to give the Pakistan vs India match a reserve day and not for other Super 4 games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs

1694167196400.pngThe India vs. Pakistan cricket match is one of the most highly anticipated and watched cricketing events in the world.The decision to have a reserve day or not is a complex one that takes into account various factors. Tournament organizers aim to strike a balance between providing a full match for fans and maintaining the overall integrity and schedule of the tournament.

Your views?

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely not.

Completely destroyed the integrity of their tournament. I get it but this is hilarious to see at this level.

Such blatantly unfair treatment of Sri Lanka and Bangladesh with one of the teams being the actual host too. :ROFLMAO:

Don’t think the broadcasters would be too keen on Sri Lanka and Bangladesh getting a reserve day.

Poll added - please cast your vote

They should have played the match in Lahore

Simple as. BCCI need to sort their act out

I think this is a farce to be honest. How can you do this in the middle of a tournament just for one match. If change had to be made make it for ALL games simple

View attachment 136287The India vs. Pakistan cricket match is one of the most highly anticipated and watched cricketing events in the world.The decision to have a reserve day or not is a complex one that takes into account various factors. Tournament organizers aim to strike a balance between providing a full match for fans and maintaining the overall integrity and schedule of the tournament.

Your views?

So you are saying that adding more days can only be done for special games? The ones that bring the most money?

So you are saying that adding more days can only be done for special games? The ones that bring the most money?
While the financial aspect plays a role in the decision to allocate reserve days, it's not the sole determining factor. The overall significance of the match, the tournament schedule, and weather conditions are all important considerations. Reserve days are typically added to ensure that crucial matches can be completed and to provide the best possible experience for fans.

While the financial aspect plays a role in the decision to allocate reserve days, it's not the sole determining factor. The overall significance of the match, the tournament schedule, and weather conditions are all important considerations. Reserve days are typically added to ensure that crucial matches can be completed and to provide the best possible experience for fans.

Why is this game more crucial than the others?

Other sides like BD and SL would argue that a washout of their games will effect their chances of making it to the final?

Why is this game more crucial than the others?

Other sides like BD and SL would argue that a washout of their games will effect their chances of making it to the final?
In the case of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, you are absolutely right that a washout can have a significant impact on their chances of making it to the final or advancing in the tournament. The key is that in any tournament, both high-profile and less high-profile matches are important for the overall competition, and the organizers aim to balance the scheduling and contingency plans to ensure fairness and maintain the integrity of the tournament.

I am a little on the fence: On one hand, it's total hypocrisy of the highest order; on the other hand, i really want there to be a game 😝 .
But really, they should have just switched the games to Habantota or Kandy where the weather forecast is much better

Couldn’t care less about Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, they stood with BCCI when it came to hosting the Asia Cup in Pakistan. Reap what you sow.

They are saying if all the games gets washed out from here, the final will be between Pakistan and Ind/SL. A toss of coin will decide between Ind & SL as which team will face Pak in finals

I am thinking of a situation if Ind & SL goes for the toss and SL wins it - what should be the back up plan of ACC?

Brother Jay Shah need to organize for a coin similar to the one used in movie Sholay

:srini

This is not fair, either the same method should be applied in other teams' matches as well.

Do you think without PCB this decision has taken?? As a host PCB also part of this decision

ACC a massive joke as usual, Asia Cup a joke event as usual. This forecast has been known for ages, should have scheduled it with some braincells.

You need a reserve week when both days get rained off. Maybe if we play a few overs every day we can get a 5-day ODI, closest thing we can get to an India Pakistan Test.

Well, this tournament is a joke. We all know Ind v Pak is a money churner. To be fair on all the sides, just move the matches to venues with good weather forecast. But then again, this tournament is a joke.

Money Trumps! Everyone is is busy licking BCICC boots with no self respect.

80% of the tournament broadcast revenue lies in the Indo Pak contests. It's a no brainer

Pathetic decision. This is why Asia Cup is a joke. Even last time, everybody was talking only about India and Pakistan like the other sides didn't even exist and SL went on to win it.

Do you think without PCB this decision has taken?? As a host PCB also part of this decision
There was a report that indicated it was PCB that proposed the reserve day option. I am not sure if PCB had proposed the reserve day only for two matches or for all the matches.

Absolutely shambolic. Jay Shah is not fit for presidency of the ACC.

Pathetic decision. This is why Asia Cup is a joke. Even last time, everybody was talking only about India and Pakistan like the other sides didn't even exist and SL went on to win it.
It's driven by the potential for viewership and revenue, rather than the probability of winning the Asia Cup. India's confused stance, which is hesitant to engage in bilateral matches against Pakistan but willing to compete with them in tournaments and even host them, effectively transforms the Asia Cup into the de facto bilateral Indo-Pak series that fans eagerly anticipate. The entire Indian and Pakistani media landscape is abuzz with regular shows, and excitement is building.

They want us to play so bad because its all about dolla dolla, they hate us but cant live without us!

Right.

Sri Lanka are 6-time Asia Cup champions. They deserve to be treated more respectfully.

South Asian should not be managing anything, just make your money, buy your luxuries and brag about it to other aunties and uncles in your circle. Have ruined this sport.

Complete joke.

Also, enjoy much when Indian official make Indian fans sound like a parrots :)

ACC should just declare India vs Pakistan final so that this farce can end. They should ask BD and SL to take some amount of money from the game, both of them will happily take it and go home.

So what essentially Jay Shah/ACC/BCCI are saying that they really just want a bi-lateral ODI series with Pakistan without calling it an official bi-lateral series with Pakistan...got it!

And where the Indian fans who said that Pak Vs India is no longer a priority for them and they prefer India Vs Australia now? Would the latter also get a reserve day in a tournament?

It’s my bat, I will set the rules -- The rule that’s been the mantra in gully cricket seems to have been adopted for the Asia Cup as well.

A reserve day has been added for only one of the six Super Four matches, the encounter on September 10, between arch-rivals India and Pakistan.

That a reserve day will be added for the marquee clash has been whispered ever since the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) decided against moving the remaining matches from Colombo to Hambantota. On Friday, a notification issued for ticket-holders confirmed the move.

“If adverse weather suspends play during the Pakistan vs India game, the match will continue on 11th September 2023 from the point it was suspended,” stated the advisory, issued by the Pakistan Cricket Board, the tournament host.

“In such an eventuality, ticket-holders are advised to hold on to their match tickets which will remain valid and will be utilised for the reserve day.”

When the tournament fixtures were announced, only the final had a reserve day. Moreover, only one game having a reserve day might result in undue advantage for both the teams, should weather play spoilsport for most of the Super Four stage.

A competitive tournament - irrespective of the discipline and the level, even amateurish - is always played with the same rules for all the teams involved. No wonder that the other two teams in the tournament - Bangladesh and Sri Lanka - are disturbed by the development.

However, the head coaches of both camps preferred to choose their words carefully, considering the might of the ACC -- whose president Jay Shah is also the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s secretary -- and the PCB, which is hosting the tournament.

“I have not seen anything like this earlier. This is something new. It’s not ideal,” said Chandika Hathurusingha, the Bangladesh head coach, on Friday ahead of his team’s clash against Sri Lanka.

“We would love to have an extra day as well. Other than that I don’t have much to comment on because they (technical committee) have made a decision. There is a technical committee (in Asia Cup) represented by every participating country. They might have decided it with some other reason.”

Chris Silverwood, Hathurasingha’s Sri Lanka counterpart, was a little more conservative. “”Little surprised when I first heard, but at the same time we are not the organisers of the competition so not a lot we can do about that,” Silverwood said.

“To be honest, it will be a problem if the reserve day then provides points to the teams and not someone else, but nothing we can do about it, so we keep preparing and do the best we can.”

Sportstar understands that the ACC acceded to the broadcaster’s demand after declining to shift the tournament out of Colombo.

While the fans can hope for a likelihood of a full game - or at least a result - due to the reserve day, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh camps will keep their fingers crossed that the reserve day doesn’t turn out to be decisive in deciding the finalists.

I'm confident that the match won't take place on the reserve day either, as there's a high probability of heavy rain forecasted for both days.

Speaking from a Pakistani fan perspective from a cricketing point of view we are complete minnows in the Asia cup.

Its an injustice against the Sri Lankans who manage to win the tournament quite a bit despite having the odds stacks against them.

If it transpires that the PCB has helped to orchestrate this reserve day fiasco then I will be supporting Sri Lanka or Bangladesh to win this edition.

its funny how indians here used to tell us that pak vs india is just a normal game and there isnt much hype to it.

apni he baat moo per par gaye becharo ko

Its a normal game. But there will be only 3 non minnow India games in this tournament.

One of them washed out.

Out of SL and Pakistan, its obvious which opponent will bring more eyeballs.

You guys have a habit of overestimating yourself.

No wonder PCB keeps falling on its face against BCCI.

Its a normal game. But there will be only 3 non minnow India games in this tournament.

One of them washed out.

In the words of the BCCI president about what the Pakistan game means to Indians:

"People don't work, the roads are empty. Everybody's in front of the television watching cricket. That's how big cricket is in India and Pakistan,"

Why is the reserve day just for the Pakistan v India match.

Surely that's unfair on the other teams taking part in the tournament.

In the words of the BCCI president about what the Pakistan game means to Indians:

"People don't work, the roads are empty. Everybody's in front of the television watching cricket. That's how big cricket is in India and Pakistan,"

BCCI President, the one who went to Pakistan?

Why is the reserve day just for the Pakistan v India match.

Surely that's unfair on the other teams taking part in the tournament.

India vs the only other big team in the tournament.

Eyeballs....

India vs the only other big team in the tournament.

Eyeballs....
Can't disagree with this statement.

However, why not do away with the facade of 'Asia Cup' and simply play Pakistan in a bilateral series?

I mean if an Asia tournament is going to cater to just 2 countries, why make a mockery of other participants?

Please tell me as a fan, that you think this decision is fair?

Can't disagree with this statement.

However, why not do away with the facade of 'Asia Cup' and simply play Pakistan in a bilateral series?

I mean if an Asia tournament is going to cater to just 2 countries, why make a mockery of other participants?

Please tell me as a fan, that you think this decision is fair?

I agree.

They should scrap Asia Cup and make it a tri-series (Pakistan, India, and one associate).

Current Asia Cup format is a farce. Not fair for a team like Sri Lanka (a country that have won 3 ICC trophies and 6 Asia Cup trophies).

Absolutely not.

Completely destroyed the integrity of their tournament. I get it but this is hilarious to see at this level.

Such blatantly unfair treatment of Sri Lanka and Bangladesh with one of the teams being the actual host too. :ROFLMAO:
Not to mention the defending champions as well. The management of this tournament has been an utter disgrace.

One of them washed out.

keep convincing yourself.

Vikrant Gupta starts his show earlier for Pak Vs Ind.

ANd now a reserve day has been set, the game itself is placed on a weekend. Indian fans infact bought tickets to travel to Sri Lanka for this game..

It doesnt matter what you say, because we have enough visuals.

The difference between Pakistani and Indian fans is evident here.

Pakistani fans atleast care about the tournament being fair for all, and they call a spade a spade even if its benefitting their country.

Meanwhile Indian fans will justify every wrong in the name of money or revenue generation..

Weather has changed from 100% precipitation to the low percentage for the super 4 stages. No rain yesterday and weather looks bright today for Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka. Rain predicted for the evening and tomorrow even though it was the same prediction for today morning, it looks very bright as of now. Hopefully we get full games, specially tomorrow

Prasad asking some uncomfortable questions

There is actually an explanation on the question asked by Prasad....it is called MONEY.

I was watching the news and they were saying the TV rights for entire Asia Cup is 110 crore rupees. This money then gets divided among participating boards. Compare that with IPL where one single game sells at 118 crores. So financially, it makes zero difference to the BCCI if Asia cup don't happen as its a pocket change for them. But it does matter to smaller boards like SLCB, BCB, AFG, NEP etc. Now the biggest sell/attraction of Asia cup is Ind vs Pak game and to maximise the TV revenue they are treating this game special. In a sense BCCI is doing a favour by providing services of its player in a tournament which is a pocket change for them but by helping generating revenues for other boards. That is why you would not see SLCB or BCB would cry or complain as this arrangement is mutually agreed.

But from a common fans perspective, yeah its definitely unfair and something we don't want to see in any tournament.

According to Sunil Gavaskar:

Reasons for not moving the games to Hambantota:

"Well, somebody should find the real story. It appears from cricketing points, that it was probably the players who didn't want to go to Hambantota."So administrators, had to at last moment, change it from Hambantota to Colombo despite knowing Colombo could have pretty dicey weather,"

"When I meant players, I didn't mean players of one team but players of all teams that were supposed to be there"

"It is easy to point fingers at administrators and they can be easily made scapegoats. It is really important to find out why despite knowing that the weather forecast of Colombo won't be good, matches were not held in Hambantota"

Another funny thing is how @cricketjoshila kept saying that it was too hot in hambantota thats why they didn't play.

Well guess what, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. India will be playing for three days straight. So now its not a fitness issue?

But than again, because for india Pakistan rivalry game is very important, they are willing to play three days straight.......

Jay shah has to be the biggest idiot to be the president of something related to cricket.

Whats more funny is indian players are coming back from injury.... would be hilarious to see there bowlers get injured again before the world cup due to Jay shah

There is actually an explanation on the question asked by Prasad....it is called MONEY.

I was watching the news and they were saying the TV rights for entire Asia Cup is 110 crore rupees. This money then gets divided among participating boards. Compare that with IPL where one single game sells at 118 crores. So financially, it makes zero difference to the BCCI if Asia cup don't happen as its a pocket change for them. But it does matter to smaller boards like SLCB, BCB, AFG, NEP etc. Now the biggest sell/attraction of Asia cup is Ind vs Pak game and to maximise the TV revenue they are treating this game special. In a sense BCCI is doing a favour by providing services of its player in a tournament which is a pocket change for them but by helping generating revenues for other boards. That is why you would not see SLCB or BCB would cry or complain as this arrangement is mutually agreed.

But from a common fans perspective, yeah its definitely unfair and something we don't want to see in any tournament.
Yep. This is why other Asian boards grovel at the feet of BCCI. All this fake "support" for other boards fails when they get a chance to fill their own coffers.

The PCB usually wants good relations with SLC considering they toured PAK first etc. but I don't think they have uttered a word against this . They stand to earn a lot from this fixture especially as host.

So ethically wrong it’s embarrassing, this is an international tournament , and when other team/s are are at a defaulted disadvantage like this then the whole tournament loses credibility. it’s Asia cup not Pakistan vs India with a bit of side teams cup.

It's shocking to see how amateur the BCCI are in organising events. It doesn't matter that you have all the money in the world, the jugaad culture is too ingrained in these people.

Well if the crowds (or lack thereof) to watch the homeside play in Sri Lanka is any indication...

1694267035475.png

How is this tournament going to make any sort of money.

I think fans across the board may have/be lost/losing interest in ODI's. Perhaps even the upcoming WC may have less than the usual enthusiasm.

How is this tournament going to make any sort of money.

I think fans across the board may have/be lost/losing interest in ODI's. Perhaps even the upcoming WC may have less than the usual enthusiasm.

Ahmedabad: Cricket fans who really wanted to get tickets for the ICC Cricket World Cup match of team India in Ahmedabad were disappointed once more. On Friday at 8 p.m., the BCCI announced the sale of 400,000 new tickets, especially for the big India-Pakistan game and other matches with India. But by 11 p.m., all those tickets were sold out, and some fans couldn’t get any.

May as well make the Asia Cup between just India and Pakistan.

Possibly 3 matches in this tournament. Should just make it 5 matches and call it Asia Cup.

Another funny thing is how @cricketjoshila kept saying that it was too hot in hambantota thats why they didn't play.

Well guess what, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. India will be playing for three days straight. So now its not a fitness issue?

But than again, because for india Pakistan rivalry game is very important, they are willing to play three days straight.......

Jay shah has to be the biggest idiot to be the president of something related to cricket.

Whats more funny is indian players are coming back from injury.... would be hilarious to see there bowlers get injured again before the world cup due to Jay shah

When did i say Hambantota is too hot?

The match is scheduled for Sunday and Tuesday. Monday is RESERVE DAY.It may or not be used and we don't know for how many hours they will play on Monday.

No one knew who would be B1 or B2 in the tournament.

I don't know why someone like you who openly says he wants destruction of India is so bothered by who is BCCI President and what happens to Indian Players.

It seems like Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and others are there just to make up the numbers.

It won't surprise if this is one of the last Asia Cup tournaments.

The ACC is a joke too - on its last legs.

A big joke. How PCB agreed to this is even more shambolic, not surprising as these stooges running the board are placed by the current corrupt incompetent circus government of Pakistan. This sport is losing respect day by day, and all driven from financial interest is what is killing the game. BICCI has ruined cricket

When did i say Hambantota is too hot?

The match is scheduled for Sunday and Tuesday. Monday is RESERVE DAY.It may or not be used and we don't know for how many hours they will play on Monday.

No one knew who would be B1 or B2 in the tournament.

I don't know why someone like you who openly says he wants destruction of India is so bothered by who is BCCI President and what happens to Indian Players.
I thinks it better to be properly informed.

B1 and B2 were decided before. It was done so, so that India didnt had to travel to Pakistan.

THis was mentioned on the official asia cup schdule poster
1694276976731.png

Back