Ed Cowan announces his retirement from all forms of professional cricket [Update Post #28]

Deewana Mastana

Test Star
Runs
Makes his test debut for Australia at the age of 29 against India

A gritty innings of 68 before he was given out wrongly caught behind by Ian Gould off Ashwin.

Didn't watch the entire innings, but of what I saw he looked solid getting behind the line of the ball and letting the ones a little outside off go through to the keeper.

Your thoughts?

He was very nervous before lunch and looked a walking wicket but after lunch this guy showed some superb temprement along with some nice solid strokeplay. He looked a lot better than Phil Hughes.

Decent technique. bores the **** out of the opposition but effective and in form. india is lucky to get him on 68. could have had a 100.

is he the next chanderpaul for india?

lets not forget the original misbah :chanderpaul. misbah atleast is watchable when playing his shots.

How was he a walking wicket? He wasn't really nervous at all. It's just the Indians bowled well to him. Anything outside off-stump he will leave all day. He's a good solid test opener.

against seamers, he looked more secured than the over-hyped :khawaja

Ashwin really troubled him thou

How was he a walking wicket? He wasn't really nervous at all. It's just the Indians bowled well to him. Anything outside off-stump he will leave all day. He's a good solid test opener.

He played and missed at numerous deliveries before lunch, his feet were a stuck and couldn't get a bat on anything legside, that's what is known as a walking wicket. After lunch he was a different batsmen. I put it down to debut nerves.

One thing Aus can use is a batsman who can leave balls outside off stump and he seems to be able to do that.

Apparently he is known as one of the best leavers of the ball in Aussie cricket.

His Holiness Geoffrey would adore him! :boycott

With Watson returning soon and Warner looking solid looks like Khwaja and Hughes will have a tough time getting back in the team

He plays worse than Misbah/Trott.

Almost fell asleep watching him yesterday.

Pity you woke up then.

Good debut innings, looks to be the sort of player Australia need. But I think he will be doing well to average above 40.

Has some surprisingly good shots.

Pity you woke up then.

Good debut innings, looks to be the sort of player Australia need. But I think he will be doing well to average above 40.

Has some surprisingly good shots.

I agree, I really really like him.

The good shots shocked me though, out of nowhere he pulled out some beauties.

And being compared to Trott, Misbah and Cook isn't bad. I'm a bowler myself and would rather watch my team bowling rather than batting. And I will admit there are many times when I've stopped watching when Cook is on. But he is still one of my favorite batsmen because he does what the team needs him to do, even if it isn't pretty.

He is a clasic player i think having 1 or 2 defensive players in a test side can't be bad for them

Ed Cowan

An extremely mediocre player.

Wouldn't even watch him if I'm paid for it.

David Warner miles better than his hack. Even hack is a way too generous word for a batsman like Cowan.

I dislike him more for the fact he talks too much. To be honest though kawaja while more gifted is far more mentally fragile

I think Ed is clearly out of his depth.

I'm not a huge fan of either Warner or Kwahaja et but both would still be better options than Cowan. I expect Ed will get one more test though.

Pretty sure this is Ed cowan's last test match... Get Khawaja or even Faulkner/ Wade instead of him....

I think Ed is clearly out of his depth.

I'm not a huge fan of either Warner or Kwahaja et but both would still be better options than Cowan. I expect Ed will get one more test though.

Agree and if he gets dropped he will write an essay about it

ed cowan is absolutely crap....doesnt look like international standard to me

Ed Cowan

Rogers and Cowan one after the other does not make sense. He was much better than most of his teammates in India. He just needs an attacking batsman at the other end to be effective. No 3 is the wrong slot.

Cricket Australia has today congratulated Ed Cowan, following the batsman’s announcement that he has retired from professional cricket.

Cowan represented his country in 18 Tests, debuting in the 2011 Boxing Day Test against India and playing his last Test during Australia’s 2013 Ashes tour of England.

He scored 1001 Test runs across this period including a high score of 136 runs against South Africa in 2012, partnering with then-captain Michael Clarke for a stunning 259-run fourth-wicket stand during the first Test of the series in Brisbane.

Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland said:

“Ed has made a great contribution to Australian cricket over the course of his career, at an international and domestic level, and we congratulate him on his achievements.

“Best remembered as a patient and considered opening batsman, the numbers accumulated by Ed during his career reveal the rewards of his perseverance and underscore the reason he is held in high regard by those who he has played with and against.

“We wish Ed all the best in his retirement from cricket and for his future endeavours.”

In addition to representing his country, Cowan enjoyed a successful domestic career in Australia for New South Wales and Tasmania, as well as in England.

In a first-class career that spanned 143 matches, beginning in 2003, Cowan scored more than 10,000 runs at an average of 41.89.

He also played 98 List A matches and 16 Twenty20s during his career.

Back