[VIDEO] Harbhajan Singh retires from all forms of cricket - How will he be remembered?

New Delhi: Former India spinner Harbhajan Singh, who had recently announced his retirement from all forms of the game said that he doesn’t feel then India captain MS Dhoni was the only one responsible for his exclusion from the Indian team and reckoned that some BCCI officials might have been behind this, adding that they are bigger than the captain, coach or the team.

In an exclusive interview with Zee News Editor-in-Chief Sudhir Chaudhary, the former India spinner, fondly known as Bhajji, spoke at length about his future plans, speculations of him joining politics and who would play the villain in his biopic as and when it is made and much more.

“No. I will not run for elections. Talking about politics, I don’t know when I will come or not. I will sit and decide the future,” said Harbhajan when asked about his future in politics.

Talking about his retirement and whether it was unfair that some former greats never really got a farewell game, the 41-year-old said, “Every player wants to retire wearing the India jersey but luck will not always be on your side and sometimes what you wish for, doesn’t happen. The big names that you have taken like VVS (Laxman), Rahul (Dravid), Viru (Virender Sehwag) and many others who took retirement later didn’t get the chance.”

Harbhajan also went on to speak about the possible factors involved in his sudden exclusion from the India team.

“Luck has always favoured me. Just some external factors were not by my side and maybe, they were completely against me. This is because of the way I was bowling or the rate at which I was moving ahead. I was 31 when I took 400 wickets and if I would have played another 4-5 years, keeping in mind the kind of standards I had set for myself, I can tell you that I would have taken another 100-150 wickets or more,” he added.

Although Harbhajan reckoned there can be several factors behind his exclusion from the team but didn’t wish to single out Dhoni alone for the incident.

“Yes. MS Dhoni was the captain then but I think this thing was above Dhoni’s head. To a certain extent, there were some BCCI officials who were involved in this and they didn’t want me and the captain may have supported that but a captain can never be above the BCCI. The BCCI officials have always been bigger than the captain, coach or the team,” revealed the 41-year-old.

“Dhoni had better backing than other players and if the rest of the players would have got the same kind of backing, then they would have played as well. It wasn’t as if the rest of the players forgot to swing a bat or didn’t know how to bowl all of a sudden,” he further added.

Talking about the recent controversy that took place between India captain Virat Kohli and BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, Bhajji said, “Can’t say what happened between Virat Kohli and Sourav Ganguly. I can only tell you what I have gone through and that things could have been handled in a better way. Big players deserve respect.”

“I think Sourav Ganguly was a great captain and he picked me when I was out of the team. In that series, I took 32 wickets and became the first Indian to take a hattrick,” Bhajji said while talking about the best captain he played under.

Harbhajan also wanted a biopic made on his life so that people can hear his side of the story as well.

“I would like a film or a web series made on my life so that people can also know my side of the story, what kind of a guy I am and what I do,” said Bhajji.

Asked further on who would play the villain in his biopic, the two-time World Cup winner revealed, “Can’t say who would be the villain in my biopic. There is not one but many.”

https://www.india.com/sports/harbha...ain-in-his-biopic-zee-news-exclusive-5165656/

Bishen Singh Bedi was convinced Harbhahan was a chucker but because he is Indian ICC had no guts to declare his action illegal.

Bedi was convinced that Imran and Wasim tampered with the ball, Miadad cheated and Tendulkar was sub par.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Dhoni had better backing than other players and if the rest of the players would have got the same kind of backing, then they would have played as well. It wasn’t as if the rest of the players forgot to swing a bat or didn’t know how to bowl all of a sudden,” he further added.

Poor fellow still crying on Dhoni

Still crying on Dhoni

Bhaji needs to stop with the moaning Hes coming off in bad light Noones entitled to a free ride Its a disservice to other bowlers who are working their socks off to get into the national team

He was never gonna take another 150 test wickets

He was done by 2009 Bhaji avged 40 over his last 23 tests

Looks like Harbhajan's been holding back a lot but its gloves off now!

Lol at people comparing Afridi and this guy. Afridi, apart from his bowling record, is one of the biggest draws in cricketing history and has a huge cricketing legacy. Harbhajan is a complete nobody compared to Lala. It’s disrespectful to Afridi to even compare them.

The only real legacy Bhajji will have is that his career will just highlight ICC hypocrisy and bias. He should have been banned or made to change his action just like Ajmal. But of course, the same rules don’t apply to the same players for the ICC.

Lol at people comparing Afridi and this guy. Afridi, apart from his bowling record, is one of the biggest draws in cricketing history and has a huge cricketing legacy. Harbhajan is a complete nobody compared to Lala. It’s disrespectful to Afridi to even compare them.

The only real legacy Bhajji will have is that his career will just highlight ICC hypocrisy and bias. He should have been banned or made to change his action just like Ajmal. But of course, the same rules don’t apply to the same players for the ICC.

A batting average of 14 in 40 matches of icc world cup and icc champions trophy is Afridi's legacy for the world. I am sure for many Pakistanis a couple of innings in some bilateral series is defining legacy of Afridi, most people outside pakistan don't care much about it.

This is a lesson to our Pakistani team. A player like Harbhajan would have successfully played for Pakistan till his 40's but the BCCI were clear enough to call time on his career when he was 30 and had past performances, services to brag about.

Examples of Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh is also clear to see. Past performances and services or not, if your present recent performances are not good, you get moved on for the next generation regardless of the short term uncertainties and pains of those decisions.

If only our selectors had such conviction to deal with the non stop criticism of ex players, sports reporters close to these players

Last edited by a moderator:
A batting average of 14 in 40 matches of icc world cup and icc champions trophy is Afridi's legacy for the world. I am sure for many Pakistanis a couple of innings in some bilateral series is defining legacy of Afridi, most people outside pakistan don't care much about it.
Give it a rest. He was an all rounder and still has more ODI wickets than any Indian bowler. That’s an embarrassment. He’s one of the biggest stars and was one of the biggest cricketing draws and crowd pullers of his time. Stop trying to downplay his legacy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I've tested positive for COVID with mild symptoms. I have quarantined myself at home and taking all the necessary precautions. <br>I would request those who came in contact with me to get themselves tested at the earliest. Please be safe and take care 🙏🙏</p>— Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) <a href="https://twitter.com/harbhajan_singh/status/1484412593846759424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 21, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">367 intl. games, 711 intl. wickets & 3,569 intl. runs &#55357;&#56490;<br>1⃣st Indian to scalp a Test hat-trick &#55357;&#56397;<br>2007 World T20 & 2011 World Cup-winner &#55356;&#57286;&#55356;&#57286;<br><br>Here's wishing <a href="https://twitter.com/harbhajan_singh?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@harbhajan_singh</a> - one of the finest to represent <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TeamIndia?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TeamIndia</a> - a very happy birthday. &#55356;&#57218; &#55357;&#56399; <a href="https://t.co/MIsm5mS64N">pic.twitter.com/MIsm5mS64N</a></p>— BCCI (@BCCI) <a href="https://twitter.com/BCCI/status/1543451875982594048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 3, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He was an average bowler and yes he chucked for most part of his career. Good thing about him was that he was a total team player and because he was backed so much by the selectors, he eventually ended up winning some games both as batsman and bowler.

First Indian to take a test hat-trick
The only bowler to take a 6-fer in 4 consecutive test innings
Only No. 8 batsman to score consecutive test hundreds
Most wickets in a calendar year for India
World T20 & World Cup Winner

Happy Birthday to Harbhajan Singh,

His performance in the 2001 series was magical. India wouldn't have won the match even after that brilliant partnership between Dravid and VVS if it weren't for Bhajji.

Other than that he was good at times and pedestrian at other times. An Indian great but not quite an all time great

Harbhajan Singh during an interview on the podcast:

“Dhoni and Rohit are completely different leaders nature-wise.”

“MS Dhoni will never go to a player and will ask him what do you need. He lets you learn from your mistakes.”

“I remember a game when we were playing for CSK. MS Dhoni was keeping and I was fielding at short fine leg.”

“Shardul Thakur was bowling and the first ball Kane Williamson hit him down the ground for a four. Next ball, same result. I went to Dhoni and asked him that he should tell Shardul to try something different.”

“MS replied, ‘Paaji, if I tell him today, then he will never learn.’ His thought process is: ‘Let him take the beating, he’ll learn by himself.’ That was MS Dhoni’s way.”

“He’s [Rohit Sharma] very different, he will talk to each player. He is someone who will put his arm around your shoulder and tell you what is expected from you. He will give you that energy that ‘yes you can do it’. He was leading Mumbai Indians for almost 13 years and then led India – the experience comes in handy.”

“When you captain in Tests, then you learn a lot. In limited overs matches, you end up overlooking a lot of moments. But a Test captain has to decide the pace at which a Test should progress, work on a strategy on how to win matches – that’s the mark of a strong captain. Steve Waugh was a superb Test captain. Shane Warne may not have been a captain (for Australia) but had a great cricketing brain.”

“Shane Warne was like Rohit bhai. In the warm-up, he would approach us during the team huddle and remind everyone of their player. You learn a lot by watching good captains."

Back