England (376 & 87/0) comfortably defeat West Indies (282 & 175) in the 3rd Test by 10 wickets to clinch the series 3-0

Pitch is extremely slow. Just takes awful lot of time to get to batsman after pitching even with batsman standing well outside the crease.

With movement gone this has turned into an absolute road. These two can bat as long as they want. They need to commit mistakes as ball is not doing anything. Bowlers are out of ideas

New ball pitch. After the first 20 overs the ball goes soft and does nothing

Former England quick Stuart Broad on Sky Sports Cricket:

"That partnership was special and what I liked about it was that it was busy and energetic but it wasn't frenetic, there was some lovely stroke play on show.

"England were in a bit of a hole when they came together but if you could pick two batters that you would want to be under pressure and drag your team out of it, it would be those two.

"Joe Root is in great form and Ben Stokes is the best player I've seen under pressure."

"The mindset that if there are runs on offer you take them at any stage, even if it is right before lunch.

"If I was the West Indies, I would bowl short after lunch too because it got him out of his comfort zone and we saw some of the forward defences they were playing."

Root is definitely an ATG. He also won a world title.

He is now less than 4000 runs away from surpassing Tendulkar.

That's still some distance but more importantly only 1400 runs behind reaching the #2 tally ahead of Ponting, that's a massive achievement in itself.

My only wish is that he hits a memorable test hundred in Australia, at the moment, he doesn't have any despite having three tours there.

That's still some distance but more importantly only 1400 runs behind reaching the #2 tally ahead of Ponting, that's a massive achievement in itself.

My only wish is that he hits a memorable test hundred in Australia, at the moment, he doesn't have any despite having three tours there.

Root is still quite young. He is in his early-30's. If he plays for 5-6 more years, you never know.

I think he may get very close but wouldn't be surprised if he surpasses it.

Alzaari is a brainless bowler. He has all the physical attributes required to be a great intimidating fast bowler. Just has to get his thinking right.

Alzaari is a brainless bowler. He has all the physical attributes required to be a great intimidating fast bowler. Just has to get his thinking right.
Unlike white ball cricket, he simply hasn't kicked on in Tests. And he's the vice captain too.

Should be a straight swap for Kemar Roach if fit for the South Africa series.

Poor shot but can’t complain about the partnership which was excellent.

Even in white ball cricket , Alzarri has been getting hammered by top sides for a couple of years now.

This is an interesting one so far with wickets going down and then some resistance.

England trailing by 76 with 4 wickets left.

England should be safe now.

Lead is worth 22 runs. 3 wickets in hand. If they can take the lead to 100, they should win.

West Indies great Brian Lara is with is during the tea interval and has been giving his views on the series so far on Sky Sports:

"Obviously I want to see the West Indies do well," Lara told Sky Sports Cricket. "It's been great cricket.

"I though the first innings at Trent Bridge was magnificent. Unfortunately, we fell apart in the second.

"All I want to see is a lot more commitment, fight and consistency, and hopefully we'll get across the line. It's been a great Test match.

"It's a mindset thing, but you've got to learn quickly. A lot of kids are learning on the job now."

A quadrangle series between WI Ban SL and Pak will determine their intrinsic value in Test cricket

that is an unfortunate way to get out, a grubber that kept very low. excellent 95 from jamie smith, deserved a ton. he has probably ended bairstow's test career

WI should try to set atleats a target of 200 and see what happens. But i won't rule out if they lose by an innings from here.

WI has to be a bit more positive. Cannot block block block in order to eke out a bare minimum competitive lead.

excellent 95 from jamie smith, deserved a ton. he has probably ended bairstow's test career

Bairstow is almost certainly done as an international cricketer. Salt and Buttler (in the white ball side) are both better wicketkeepers than Jonny, and his batting isn’t good enough anymore for a place on its own.

In red ball cricket even Foakes might struggle to get back in the team now.

Smith is exactly what Stokes and McCullum have been looking for in the Test side. A strong aggressive batsman and very tidy wicketkeeper with a confident approach, who can go up the gears with the lower order. Smith will get better in both disciplines the more he is backed and the greater the experience he builds up.

A blistering 95 from Jamie Smith and two late wickets put England in charge despite a dreadful start to the second day

Jamie Smith came within touching distance of a first Test century at Edgbaston to help set England on course for a clean sweep in their series against the West Indies.

Smith hit a dashing 95 in just his fourth innings at the top level as the hosts flipped their fortunes from 54 for five to 376 all out on day two of the third Test. Chris Woakes and Gus Atkinson then plunged the tourists into further peril, striking with the new ball as the West Indies closed on 33 for two, trailing by 61.

Joe Root had started the fightback with a controlled 87, passing 12,000 Test runs and leapfrogging Caribbean great Brian Lara along the way, but it was Smith’s verve that carried England into an eventual lead of 94.

The 24-year-old, picked ahead of Jonny Bairstow and Ben Foakes for this series in a changing-of-the-guard moment, bristled with attacking intent as he showed off the flair that inspired the selectors to make the switch. There were 12 fours in his 109-ball stay as he worked through his range of shots but he will remember the innings best for an audacious six that cleared the Eric Hollies Stand.

Later, with almost 25,000 fans waiting excitedly to celebrate Smith’s hundred, Shamar Joseph’s cutter zipped through low and thumped the off stump. The expectation evaporated as Smith dragged himself reluctantly towards the pavilion but this was a moment to cheer an emerging talent, not bemoan his near miss.

Source: The Guardian

Where is Tagnarine Chanderpaul? Is he injured?

West Indies need Shai Hope, Shimron Hetmyer, Kyle Myers & Nicholas Pooran in the test team.

Here's a look at the state of play as we get set for the action to start on this third day at Edgbaston...

1722162299484.png

They can't win the Ashes like this in Australia, having dropped too many catches

1722163673803.png

1722163684534.png

1722163694244.png

Cralwey puts down a slip catch. Stokes was in the middle of a beautiful spell. Probably went too fast as he sliced it

Cralwey puts down a slip catch. Stokes was in the middle of a beautiful spell. Probably went too fast as he sliced it
sj4d69D.png

The change of bowling has worked for England, they replaced Woakes with Atkinson and he's delivered the goods.

But it was mighty close...UNLUCKY HOLDER.

ubhr63B.png

Former England batter Mark Butcher via Sky Cricket:

"England have got such a lovely, varied attack. Bashir played a great role at the beginning.

"The West Indies played it really well, they lost a few wickets but they've played it perfectly.

"Hodge is a terrific player as is Louis and there are signs his game is evolving."

Windies are effectively at 60/5.

I think Windies need to set a target of 250 to have a good winning chance.

Crawley sent for scan on injured finger

Zak Crawley took a blow to his finger when dropping Jason Holder at second slip late in the morning session...

Well, the official word from the ECB is: "Crawley has left the venue for a scan after receiving a blow to his right index finger."

No word yet on whether he will be back in time or able to bat. We'll bring you more news when we get it.

Fantastic reverse swing bowling by Mark Wood

Consistently bowling over 90mph and has uprooted the stumps.

1 away from a 5fer and WI 9 down.

This is why test cricket is so difficult for weaker teams. Windies had England on the mat at 51 for 5. But one good session is rarely enough. Over the course of the game, the stronger team will bounce back eventually

END OF INNS: West Indies 175 all out (52 ov, lead by 81, 2nd inns) v EnglandMotie 8 (17)

This is why test cricket is so difficult for weaker teams. Windies had England on the mat at 51 for 5. But one good session is rarely enough. Over the course of the game, the stronger team will bounce back eventually
What cost WI was not taking that Root lbw review and he ended up making 87.

Also the Holder lbw was a very tight one where it was given on umpires call.

It comes down to very small margins in the end.

Back