England bowled out for 147 before rain brings an early end to Day 1 of 1st Ashes Test vs Australia

Did Stokes play any first class game before coming in? Even the best of the best need a bit of time.

Tearific from Cummins. Aussie quicks bringing the thunder and lightning.

Last edited:
Until England gets rid of Burns they are going to see more collapses. This guy is such an useless player. 54 innings. 20 single digits. 8 of them are ducks.

The problem is Aus attack is really world-class especially in Aus. Visiting team needs to show some fight otherwise Aus bowlers are going to get on top. I don't think it is just about one batsman.

Didn't you guys collapse against Ireland. That was the warning call. They have been collapsing left/right/center since then.

IIRC England won that test by an innings, bowling Ireland out for 45. Ireland can pull a few surprises on a green wicket but don’t have the players to sustain pressure over five days.

The current England line arguably is the worst in their history, but they succumbed to a very powerful attack on a helpful wicket today, after about one day of match practice since September.

I don't think England should feel let down. They should fancy themselves to limit the lead under 50.

The problem is Aus attack is really world-class especially in Aus. Visiting team needs to show some fight otherwise Aus bowlers are going to get on top. I don't think it is just about one batsman.

Weren't people's undermine india victory in Australia due to age related issues of Australian attacks ?

Weren't people's undermine india victory in Australia due to age related issues of Australian attacks ?

We also got rolled over for 36 runs. Our batting is not exactly a great batting line up lol. Our tail and Pant bailed us out.

That's probably it for today. Good toss to lose.

Anyone undermining that does not understand cricket. Aus actually bowled well in the series. Just because Indians won the series, does not mean that Aus had an age-related issue. Eventually yes, but I have not seen any evidence of decline due to age so far in Aus attack.

Eng needs to keep lead to around 50 maximum.

Anyone undermining that does not understand cricket. Aus actually bowled well in the series. Just because Indians won the series, does not mean that Aus had an age-related issue. Eventually yes, but I have not seen any evidence of decline due to age so far in Aus attack.

Australia was in winning position in both the tests. Some herculean out of the world individual efforts helped India pull off a miracle. Their bowling was top class.

Australia was in winning position in both the tests. Some herculean out of the world individual efforts helped India pull off a miracle. Their bowling was top class.

Not true ,india only had one bad session in first test where we bundled out for 36 otherwise we were ahead in that test .In Sydney test vihari was injured otherwise we would have chased the target.

Not quiet. I mean OZ was going to insert them anyway.

Oz would have batted first as well. Aussie batting line-up is also a bit fragile but wouldn't have been this woeful tho either way. This was as bad as SL here a couple of years back. Shockingly poor.

Not true ,india only had one bad session in first test where we bundled out for 36 otherwise we were ahead in that test .In Sydney test vihari was injured otherwise we would have chased the target.

duh. INdia was not going to chase it with Vihari. Even surviving that long itself was a miracle. They were one wicket away. Last test once Agarwal was out Australia had a distinct chance to win the match Sundar was playing his 1st test. Thakur 2nd test.

Oz would have batted first as well. Aussie batting line-up is also a bit fragile but wouldn't have been this woeful tho either way. This was as bad as SL here a couple of years back. Shockingly poor.

Get used to collapses from all the teams in this era. All the batting sides are susceptible to collapses. Bangladesh is getting routed in 3 days. NZ got bowled out for 62. India got skittled for 36,78 recently.

duh. INdia was not going to chase it with Vihari. Even surviving that long itself was a miracle. They were one wicket away. Last test once Agarwal was out Australia had a distinct chance to win the match Sundar was playing his 1st test. Thakur 2nd test.

+1

Aus could have won both games. It was not some one-sided series. I have not seen a better come-back series by visiting a team with so many newbie players. Aus did not play poorly, they were outplayed.

He missed a leg stump half volley today. Really poor technique.

If England gets away with conceding a smaller lead and they apply themselves better in the 2nd innings to set a target in the vicinity of 270 to 300 they have a real shot at staging a come back. In order to do that big guys should put their hand up.

One guy That England will dearly miss on this fast and bouncy pitch will be Archer.

He’s an ODI bowler. In tests you get two fast speeds on day one and then he bowls Jimmy speed for the rest of the series.

He’s an ODI bowler. In tests you get two fast speeds on day one and then he bowls Jimmy speed for the rest of the series.

Hassan Ali is an ODI bowler who gets wickets in Tests but leaks runs.

Archer is, well, an IPL bowler. Nothing more at this stage of his career :yk

If England gets away with conceding a smaller lead and they apply themselves better in the 2nd innings to set a target in the vicinity of 270 to 300 they have a real shot at staging a come back. In order to do that big guys should put their hand up.

It was always gonna be a Root vs Aussie pacers. And I'm afraid Aussies are simply too good.

Sorry English fans, a proper phainta is incoming!

Unless englands batsmen suddenly start scoring big runs individually and as unit then they will struggle in this series, just like any other Ashes, the way to put pressure on current Aussies is runs on the board. Cant just rely on Root to get all the runs.

Yet another pathetic batting display with bat, even weather forecast here might not save england. Just dont look like as a team they can get big runs.

Thread is about The Ashes - no need to discuss India in this thread.

It was always gonna be a Root vs Aussie pacers. And I'm afraid Aussies are simply too good.

Sorry English fans, a proper phainta is incoming!

Root and Stokes. Burns and Malan have a century each in Australia.

Seeing the pitch up close, England have made a huge mistake by not playing one of Broad or Anderson. As usual, rigid pre-conceived ideas of conditions have hampered the England team.

The only thing that can save england is the rain. Looks like spells of rains forecaster for next 2 days

Seeing the pitch up close, England have made a huge mistake by not playing one of Broad or Anderson. As usual, rigid pre-conceived ideas of conditions have hampered the England team.

Preconceived ideas are that one or both always play. They have abandoned those today.

I think Broad should have played because he has three Australian Ashes tours under his belt.

I still think this series will be close by the end of ashes. Australia batting has its own problems as well

ENG 147 (50.1) CRR: 2.93
Day 1: Stumps

Great bowling by Pat and Stark. It’s easier to bat in Gabba on day 2 and 3. But there is rain forecast as well so Eng now would need to now well and contain Australia

England batter Ollie Pope, speaking to BT Sport

“Both teams have to bat before we can work out what is a good score on this wicket. They caught very well, took some great catches, so it is important for us to squeeze as much as we can, take our chances and give them no freebies. We are frustrated we didn’t get the score we wanted but we have to realise this is a long series. We are not going to get to too down and will come back hard tomorrow.”

“We didn’t get the score we wanted today. Personally I felt nice out there but it was frustrating not to kick on and get that big score. The game, at that stage, lent itself to some positive batting and Jos [Buttler] came in and took the pressure off nicely. It was frustrating neither of us were able to kick on and get that bigger score to push the team score forward. The pitch was quite tennis-bally, there was some steep bounce and some nip as well, so I realised I could leave a lot of balls. That was important for us and I think we will learn from our mistakes.”

Preconceived ideas are that one or both always play. They have abandoned those today.

I think Broad should have played because he has three Australian Ashes tours under his belt.

Disagree, the preconceived idea was that Broad and Anderson will be ineffective at the Gabba going by past record. The conditions and the pitch weren't taken into account in the selection. Broad, at least, should have played here.

Great bowling by Pat and Stark. It’s easier to bat in Gabba on day 2 and 3. But there is rain forecast as well so Eng now would need to now well and contain Australia

Traditionally a bit easier to bay day 2 & 3.

That relies on a typically hot, sunny day baking the pitch dry all day on Day 1 though. And this pitch also started a tad greener than most.

I expect it to still move a bit tomorrow.

The unknown variable is the new kookaburra- an extra layer of laquer more like the Dukes ball and MUCH bigger change of an entirely new plastic layer under the leather, with a ridge in the plastic to hold the seam up a bit more. That plastic has never been used in a Kookaburra before. Could change the behaviour a lot.

A poor first day for England, but it’s a long series. No need to panic and throw the towel in straight away. Have a good night’s sleep and take the field tomorrow.

The morning and afternoon sessions will be key on Day 2. England will want to be chipping away with at least 5 wickets by tea in order to stay in the match.

England need to be thinking about a big team effort in the second dig and at least setting the Aussies a target that will make them graft. The English really need to avoid any more psychological crumbles at the Gabba otherwise they will lose by an innings and feel way behind the pace going into Test 2.

Warne trying to convince us that Burns wicket was a plan.

It was a horrible bit of bowling followed up by the ugliest batting that I've seen.

The only positive is that I wont need to watch Burns bat again for a while.

Swung quite a bit..

FGC1p5sXwAQcKnL.jpg

A poor first day for England, but it’s a long series. No need to panic and throw the towel in straight away. Have a good night’s sleep and take the field tomorrow.

The morning and afternoon sessions will be key on Day 2. England will want to be chipping away with at least 5 wickets by tea in order to stay in the match.

England need to be thinking about a big team effort in the second dig and at least setting the Aussies a target that will make them graft. The English really need to avoid any more psychological crumbles at the Gabba otherwise they will lose by an innings and feel way behind the pace going into Test 2.

England need to get warner early otherwise keeping run flow down will be impossible and any time lost to rain will become irrelevant. This Aussie line up has plenty of weak links in it, so england need to hope conditions are overcast tomorrow and they can some how bowl Aussies out for 200.

England need to get warner early otherwise keeping run flow down will be impossible and any time lost to rain will become irrelevant. This Aussie line up has plenty of weak links in it, so england need to hope conditions are overcast tomorrow and they can some how bowl Aussies out for 200.

Agree, and yes England can’t rely on being rescued by the supposed rain. There will be enough overs in this game for a result to be produced, particularly with the 1st of 4 innings already being done & dusted in 2 sessions.

Last edited:
<b>ICC: Australia dealt their English foes an early Ashes blow on day one of the first Test in a stunning bowling performance in Brisbane before rain washed out the final session.</b>

Joe Root won the toss and elected to bat, though his plans for England took a turn in the session's opening moments.

Australian new ball tearaway quick Mitchell Starc struck with the first ball of the series, hitting the base of Rory Burns' leg stump as he shuffled across. It was just the second occasion a wicket has fallen on the first ball of an Ashes series, with Stan Worthington caught by Bert Oldfield off the bowling of Ernest McCormick in 1936.

Josh Hazlewood kept the foot down for Australia at the other end, removing Dawid Malan and Joe Root to leave the tourists reeling at 11/3.

Ben Stokes and Haseeb Hameed dug in until the first drinks break, though captain Pat Cummins removed Stokes with a beauty, finding the shoulder of the left-hander's bat after refreshments.

Hameed was joined by Ollie Pope, and the pair dug in despite the efforts of the deployed Nathan Lyon, sat on 399 Test wickets.

Hameed's work was undone immediately after lunch, with Captain Cummins again finding the edge, as Steve Smith took a solid catch.

It brought Jos Buttler out, who channelled his white-ball form from the T20 World Cup seemingly, countering with an array of strokes of both the front and back foot.

Buttler and Pope raced to a fifty-run stand, though any aspirations of building on their start were quashed a ball after the pair reached the milestone.

Buttler (39) edged a good Starc delivery to Alex Carey, and Cameron Green enjoyed his first Test wicket soon after, with Pope (35) top-edging to Josh Hazlewood in the deep.

England were unable to cause late-innings drama, falling to 147 all out, with Pat Cummins leading from the front with figures of 5/38.

As the teams made their way off for the tea break taken at the end of the innings, rain fell across the ground, causing a further break in play.

Despite the rain abating after a while, overcast conditions and a wet outfield ensured that no further play took place.

Disagree, the preconceived idea was that Broad and Anderson will be ineffective at the Gabba going by past record. The conditions and the pitch weren't taken into account in the selection. Broad, at least, should have played here.

Broad averages 24.6 in three tests on this ground, with one fivefer.

I understand leaving Anderson out and I think that was the right decision, but Broad getting benched for this one is looking like a tentative call at best right now, and potentially very much erroneous. We will find out soon!

I think it is a good idea to drop him first test. Might well bring his A game throughout this series starting from 2nd test.

All the more reason to have selected him here. This is the greenest Gabba pitch in living memory, at least I can't remember one so spruced up since the early nineties.

All the more reason to have selected him here. This is the greenest Gabba pitch in living memory, at least I can't remember one so spruced up since the early nineties.

I have only been following online and listened to a bit on the radio, not seen anything TV-wise yet…but if the green wicket holds up, then Robinson and Woakes are just as likely to have a field day (no pun intended) on it. :)

Who said there was an age related issue? llol

Anyway, India has nothing to do with this series.

Australia have just wrapped up the worst England batting attack in years...possibly ever (I also said this at the start of the home summer). Some of these batters are ridiculous. The captaincy decision to bat first also seems bad but it seems Cummins would have gone the same way.

I have only been following online and listened to a bit on the radio, not seen anything TV-wise yet…but if the green wicket holds up, then Robinson and Woakes are just as likely to have a field day (no pun intended) on it. :)

Agreed, I think the bowling unit selection is fine. Jimmy adds nothing thank Woakes and Pope do not have, barring experience but off set by an aged body. Broad I'm not sure if he is of any use in this series.

the big miss is Archer but that was unavoidable sadly.

I didn't expect England to get bundled out for 147. Disappointing performance.

Aussies may win by an innings here.

I think people are swayed by Warne who immediately tried to play down the wicket by calling it a half volley. If I am not wrong, Mark Waugh was the other guy who immediately rebuffed Warne and said it did swing.

Warne called for Starc to be dropped and he picked a wicket first ball with peach, rather than accepting he was wrong he simply did what he does best, spout sh1t.

I think people are swayed by Warne who immediately tried to play down the wicket by calling it a half volley. If I am not wrong, Mark Waugh was the other guy who immediately rebuffed Warne and said it did swing.

Warne called for Starc to be dropped and he picked a wicket first ball with peach, rather than accepting he was wrong he simply did what he does best, spout sh1t.

Starc always swings upfront. No news. He picked up Mayank Agarwal similarly.

I didn't expect England to get bundled out for 147. Disappointing performance.

Aussies may win by an innings here.

It basically comes down to the England bowlers tomorrow, if they have a strong day then it sets up a brilliant Test match, but if not then Australia will win by an innings & then a few on top of that!

Wood is a skiddy bowler. Despite his pace i have not noticed him extracting prodigious bounce on a good length. Robinson is the one to watch out for. He is a bit like Hazlewood.

Back