England v South Africa l 2nd Test l Headingley l 18/7/08 to 22/07/2008

last 5 overs 5, 6, 7, 4, 8
lead is below 100 now :120:
Eng 220-6 after 86 overs - trail by 99
Flintoff 26 - Ambrose 36 are in business :raja

Ambrose out ct behind off Steyn
Eng 220-7 after 86.5 overs - trail by 99
hmmm ... :akmal

86.5 Steyn to Ambrose, OUT, shorter, in the slot for the cut, and Steyn strikes! Ambrose was drawn into the shot, but the extra bounce of the new ball did for him, and Boucher claims his ninth of the match
TR Ambrose c Boucher b Steyn 36 (94b 5x4 0x6) SR: 38.29

Anyone seeing shades of Headingley 81 which happened 27 years ago to the day (has it really been that long)

When England's 7th wicket fell in 81 they were 92 behind. A similar story here.

Flintoff to play the Botham role? Broad to play the Dilley role and get a half century (both are blond right hand fast bowlers who bat left handed)

Freddie just seems to be cutting loose with 12 off Steyn's over.

Can't see it happening but you never know. History has to repeat itself one day.....

Well so much for the comparison. Wicket fell as I was posting my last message. I feel like a right :dna now.

But got to say I still think Headingley 81 was the greatest test ever.

Last edited:
cornered paktiger said:
Anyone seeing shades of Headingley 81 which happened 27 years ago to the day (has it really been that long)

When England's 7th wicket fell in 81 they were 92 behind. A similar story here.

Flintoff to play the Botham role? Broad to play the Dilley role and get a half century (both are blond right hand fast bowlers who bat left handed)

Freddie just seems to be cutting loose with 12 off Steyn's over.

Can't see it happening but you never know. History has to repeat itself one day.....
:( Flintoff gone.

oh no. Panesar bowled by Steyn. Plan not working
Eng 266-98 after 94.3 overs - trails by 53 runs

Geez, this is a humiliating defeat for England.

Broad has been the best batsmen of England :D

Broad improves his batting average from 37.11 to 37.55 with a four. He now has 338 runs in 8 matches

God just imagine of this was the target itself, what an atmosphere it would be! 1 wicket to go 21 more needed!

Come on Broad, at least make England score 1 more run to win.

Current partnership 43 runs, 9.4 overs, RR: 4.44 (Broad 36, Pattinson 5)
Broad on 58 has average of over 40 now
England need 10 more

and a four from Broad. need 6 more

Last edited:
Incredibly, Stuart now has a higher batting average than Chris.

Pattinson hits the winning runs. SA will have to bat again
Engand lead by 3

Pattison bowled by Morkel. Broad 67* and average of 41.22
England 327 all out - lead of 8 runs

12thMan said:
Broad 67* and average of 41.22

Yes good job by him. A few more good innings and he might start compensating for his average of 48 with the ball :D

Strauss - Good player, just in a bit of bad form, but he has the tools. Under-rated batter IMO.

Cook - not really impressed with him, never seen him do anything spectacular, likewise, done what he usually does in this test. Plays decent, but no match-winning stuff.

Vaughan - Too inconsistent. realy needs to work on his batting form, he is stopping other England players like Owais Shah

Pietersen - Good player, but starting to show a lack of temperament in games.

Bell - needs to improve consistency.

Ambrose - Poor Batting, Poor Keeping. Rather see Chris Read (?) or Nixon in.

Flintoff - Hype, Hype and more Hype. Batting is very poor these days, and bowling is no where close to how the media makes him out to be. He is good for ODI though, but like some ohave said, is living on the Ashes 05.

Broad - Pretty mediocre with the bowling, but his batting success has surpassed most of the so-called England "batters". Certainly can become a good all-rounder if he keeps his batting like this.

Anderson - England's best bowler IMO, had a pretty decent test.

Panesar
- Dont know, pretty hit and miss. I would seriously consider getting Saqi in and see how he works it.

Pattinson - Decent, but an absolute disgrace he was picked over the likes of Saj Mahmood, Simon Jones and Hoggard.

-- Overall, a typical English performance, that is mediocre.

Tickets for probably all days are available for Edgbaston. Starting at 45 pounds. Test starts on July 30

Broad doesn't get the winning runs. SA needs 1 to win and who will it be?

Master Blaster said:
Poor performance by two of the most hyped players currently, Freddy and Kev !!

Do you even know anything about how important Pietersen has been this calendar year? He has 2 genuine match-winning hundreds against New Zealand, in the 2 tests where batting was difficult for most, and he was the difference between the sides in these games. Eventually these two hundreds also effectively decided each series. After playing a large role in 2 series wins, it's 1 poor test for him!
Flintoff meanwhile has just regained his place after missing 5 test series, basically 18 months barely playing at all!

The loss was a collective failure, not to be blamed on any particular player. Every team has a shocker now and again, have to get over it and win the next one. hopefully still a chance in this series. We hadn't lost for 6 tests before this, winning 4, which all came after a poor loss. Hopefully a similar backlash occurs this time.

Nonetheless, somebody has to go, we have to see something different. time for another bowler, Jones or Hoggard perhaps.

Last edited:
Setanta reporters talking about whether KP's place in th team is in doubt - unable to take responsibility etc etc.

Cant see it myself.

Selection dilemna though. Feel sorry for Broad if he was chopped.

Humiliating defeat for England though

Oxy said:
Setanta reporters talking about whether KP's place in th team is in doubt - unable to take responsibility etc etc.

Cant see it myself.

Selection dilemna though. Feel sorry for Broad if he was chopped.

[/B]
:))) KP's place in doubt? only if ENG have 5 viv Richards waiting to replace him and every one else in the batting line up

lol KP's place in doubt.
Journalists and 'fans' are in an endless struggle to prove who is more pathetic

Last edited:
KP got a hundred every 4th test innings so far this year. He hasn't done bad for a playboy traitor who doesn't take responsibility...
making a matchwinning hundred from a dire position on the first morning, batting in difficult conditions. He did it not once, but twice. and scoring a big hundred on your debut against the country of your birth, the country everyone wants you to fail against, a country it could be hardest to score a hundred against. Three of the highest pressure situations he has faced this year, and made a vital contribution.
Not take responsibility, absolute rubbish.

Well I didn't get to see that much of the game, but from what I did see, England lost this game primarily with the bat in the first innings, with rash shots resulting in a below par score from a below par performance. This allowed South Africa best use of both the the pitch and the weather conditions. Unlike Lord's this was a very good Test cricket pitch, which did gradually wear and offer something for the bowlers. With the exception of Pattinson's early spells where he looked out of his depth, England's bowling was not too bad, and although South Africa batted for two days, they were made to work hard for their runs. Even Pattinson adjusted eventually to the higher level, and was far from disgraced overall. If he was younger, there would even be a case for persevering with him.

This was a highly disciplined and professional performance by South Africa, and they thoroughly deserved their win.

Last edited:
You could say that this SA display was almost the perfect test match performance. Win the toss, bowl the opposition out quickly, grind their bowlers down, take a healthy lead and then win by 10 wickets.

Apart from Harris, this South African team look a very balanced side.

England well and truely trashed. S.A bowled well in both inns but also knuckled down with the bat. I have to agree with Saj an almost perfect performance all round from S.A

For england one has to wonder if vaughan is worth his place in side at moment with the bat?

Obviously England need to bat with a bit more discipline but they need to do something about their bowling attack. Get some more pace in from somewhere. Broad doesnt cut it for me as a bowler, not too sure about this Pattinson guy. Its time to give the old guys Harmison, Hoggard, Jones and Sidebottom a shot.

Savak said:
Obviously England need to bat with a bit more discipline but they need to do something about their bowling attack. Get some more pace in from somewhere. Broad doesnt cut it for me as a bowler, not too sure about this Pattinson guy. Its time to give the old guys Harmison, Hoggard, Jones and Sidebottom a shot.

England possess two really quick young guns now, both 19-20 years old. Chris Jordan, being Barbadian, would be a ntaural fit.
And then there's Maurice Chambers.
Is Jimmy Finn ready?

Hoggard looked tired in Newzeland but he can do a Angus Frase kind of 'holding role' which England needs. Fraser also took regular 5fers till the end of his career.

Broad n Pattinson should be replaced by a young find (Jordan/Finn/Chambers) and an old pro (Hoggard/Harmy). No half measures, please.

Back