England v Sri Lanka | CT 2009 | Johannesburg | 25/9/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

On_the_up

ODI Debutant
Runs
If the pitch plays like the one for the Pak-WI match, we might have a closer contest than people anticipate. I wouldn't rule England out completely.

Form guide

(last five completed matches, most recent first)

England - WLLLL

Sri Lanka - WLWWL

Team news

With so many key players injured, and too many of the current incumbents out of form, it's hard to know how England can hope to improve on their home form. Ravi Bopara and Owais Shah have been woefully short of confidence and one of that pair could well make way to enable England to field an extra seamer - which could well be their one trump card, having seen how dramatically South Africa's early-season wickets have zipped around so far. Whether Tim Bresnan ousts Graham Onions depends on how much England value his extra batting abilities.

England (possible): 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Joe Denly, 3 Owais Shah, 4 Paul Collingwood, 5 Matt Prior (wk), 6 Eoin Morgan, 7 Stuart Broad, 8 Graeme Swann, 9 Tim Bresnan, 10 Ryan Sidebottom, 11 James Anderson.

Sri Lanka have very little to improve upon. Sanath Jayasuriya remains a concern at the top of the order, but he'll play on until he drops, while the tireless Muttiah Muralitharan never ceases to be a menace. Lasith Malinga's round-arm hostility will be a familiar but awkward challenge for Joe Denly, who will have gained a valuable sighter of his unorthodox action in the Kent nets.

Sri Lanka (probable) 1 Sanath Jayasuriya, 2 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 3 Kumar Sangakkara (capt/wk), 4 Mahela Jayawardene, 5 Thilina Kandamby, 6 Thilan Samaraweera, 7 Angelo Mathews, 8 Nuwan Kulasekara, 9 Muttiah Muralitharan, 10 Lasith Malinga, 11 Ajantha Mendis.

Watch out for...

An ICC event in South Africa was where James Anderson made his name way back in 2003, when he was the rising star of England's attack, not least during a monumental performance against Pakistan in Cape Town when, in the immortal words of Cricinfo's erstwhile scribe, Rob Smyth, he proved "so good under the lights, he ought to have been a moth". If he can replicate the hostility that he showed in patches during the Ashes, and exploit the moist conditions that tend to prevail when the evening dew kicks in, he can cause a flap once again. Assuming England's batsmen give him a total to defend, that is.

With 71 wickets in 34 ODIs since his debut in April 2008, Ajantha Mendis has been one of the bowling sensations of the past 18 months, but England as yet have been denied an opportunity to sample his unique bag of tricks. A three-wicket haul in the opening game against South Africa confirmed that his carrom ball is flicking out nicely, and it remains to be seen how England manage to counter his wiles. Traditionally they've not been too impressive when it comes to figuring out mystery spinners ...

Pitch and conditions

It's early in the season on the Highveld, so who knows what to expect? So far, there has been evidence of helpful bowling conditions, unsurprisingly, and there has been plenty of rain in the high-altitude air as well.

Stats and trivia

* Jayasuriya has scored 28 ODI hundreds in 439 matches spanning 18 years. The 11 players who took the field for England in the seventh ODI at Chester-le-Street have a grand total of nine hundreds between them. Paul Collingwood, the most-capped player by a distance, has notched up 166 appearances.

* Sri Lanka have won only one of the four ODIs they have played at the Wanderers, and that was to avoid a 6-0 whitewash in 2000-01. Their last visit, during the 2003 World Cup, culminated in a 183-run drubbing at the hands of the eventual runners-up, India

* England have played three matches at the venue, all against South Africa, and at the third attempt they recorded their first win, by 26 runs in a rain-affected contest in 2005, notable for Kevin Pietersen's hostile homecoming.

I can see England getting the 'mother of all beatings'

Jo'burg is at altitude I believe - and England squad only arrived 3 days ago!

No preparation - they'll be breathing through their backsides after 15 overs!

Wouldnt an upset be great ? I am supporting England today !

So England going to bowl.

The fact that NAsser & Atherton are in the Sky Studios sums up the poor line up from ESPN/Star!

Rooting for England since its been a while since I rooted for them.
I'm bored to death of supporting SL in the Compaq cup and during the tour against NZ.

I've always supported Australia against England so the last few months for me were always anti-England.:D

C'mon England! ;-)

England team
AJ Strauss*, JL Denly, OA Shah, PD Collingwood, EJG Morgan, MJ Prior†, LJ Wright, SCJ Broad, GP Swann, G Onions, JM Anderson
Sri Lanka team
TM Dilshan, ST Jayasuriya, KC Sangakkara*†, DPMD Jayawardene, SHT Kandamby, TT Samaraweera, AD Mathews, KMDN Kulasekara, M Muralitharan, SL Malinga, BAW Mendis

I am supporting England... I would have supported sri lanka previously but since sangakarra has taken over, they have become quite arrogant.

i'll be interested to see whether the english bowlers hit 90mph+ regularly like they did in england!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dilshan playing an ugly swipe across the line...ridiculous shot but he is still there

jaya gone for a duck... he should seriously retire, but to be fair he got a wonderful ball

if eng manages to win, this group will be thrown wide open and which would make it very interesting, as any team could qualify then.

Dilson gone, should he retire as well? I guess we(pakistani) fans are not really disappointed now after seeing the green pitch but question remains the same, would India get the green pitch against the WI?

Not sure whether to cheer or not, both dilshan and anderson were in my fantasy team...well as long as anderson runs through em now!

Afridi_Fan said:
Dilshan goes.

An upset?

jayawardena and sanga hold the key here...

i am now revising my total down to 175...175 should be competitive only problem i see is that lanka are playing two spinners...nevertheless 175+ should be competitive

i dont mind a sporting wicket but not so much so that it makes windies bowlers look worldclass and england's bowlers like they are the best in the world!!!

weaker bowling line ups prosper on wickets like these...

IMMY69 said:
jayawardena and sanga hold the key here...

i am now revising my total down to 175...175 should be competitive only problem i see is that lanka are playing two spinners...nevertheless 175+ should be competitive

yah i think you are right but one thing is that england batsmen i think will be better equipped to handle these conditions as they come across similar surfaces in county cricket
but that being said malinga + the two spinners can cause havoc for england on this pitch

every run is important on this pitch.
what a wonderful pitch to bat on, i bet even i can score a hundred on this pitch

What does this say about the game of cricket though? A team that looked worse than your local club side just a few days ago, suddenly look like champions on a different type of pitch....

hasanb said:
What does this say about the game of cricket though? A team that looked worse than your local club side just a few days ago, suddenly look like champions on a different type of pitch....

More than that, a team that looked like undefeatable now looks like a club side :)
Dilshan was finaly EXPOSED as i predicted.

As i speak Mahela also back to the pavillion.

Lanka will fold for under 100
What the hell happened to Joburg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back