England v Sri Lanka | CT 2009 | Johannesburg | 25/9/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sangakkara also GONE!!!!

17/4

Lankans in HUGE trouble.

poor shot by sanga, he bites the dust...both SL and my fantasy team are in tatters!

I dont know why

I love seeing Sri Lanka get owned now. It pleases me.

!!
England on the ascendency! what the **!! is goin on here??

Waseem said:
More than that, a team that looked like undefeatable now looks like a club side :)
Dilshan was finaly EXPOSED as i predicted.

As i speak Mahela also back to the pavillion.

there are always two sides to the coin...and this saying is even more poignant then you think!! basically i have no problems with a sporting track but in an odi where the side wins the toss and fields first..they know the total they are chasing and if its a low score then half the pressure is already off..

i repeat, pathetic pitch for an odi!

anyway, here's hoping sri lanka get to 120 atleast so that we see some sort of a contest...

I repeat.

What the hell happened to the Jo'burg pitch?

english bowlers bowling in the low 80's - what happened to the 90mph+ they were doing in england?

same goes for the saffie bowlers too!

If you apply yourself on this wicket, see off the new ball...you can get yourself to a score of 190 - 220 which is excellent on here. Umar Akmal showed the rewards of leaving the ball and then hitting once youre set.

That just amplifies how shoddy Sanga's shot was.

IMMY69 said:
english bowlers bowling in the low 80's - what happened to the 90mph+ they were doing in england?

same goes for the saffie bowlers too!

That too on a quick bouncy wicket!!

very good point!! stupid fixed english speed guns :)) :))

hasanb said:
If you apply yourself on this wicket, see off the new ball...you can get yourself to a score of 190 - 220 which is excellent on here. Umar Akmal showed the rewards of leaving the ball and then hitting once youre set.

That just amplifies how shoddy Sanga's shot was.

when a bowler is getting as much movement and bounce as the english bowlers are then you get these sort of shots...

akmal came to bat after 18 overs, its only 6 overs so far in the lanka innings...its more cloudy today too and to my eyes the wicket is doing even more then on wednesday

Last edited:
The curators probably prepared this pitch to maximize SA's chances of going thru to the Semis

hasanb said:
That too on a quick bouncy wicket!!

very good point!! stupid fixed english speed guns :)) :))

phew finally someone picked up on this!!!

i made myh comment before the first game between saffies and lanka..i said lets watch the speeds...so far i think i have been proven right...
it is now my firm opinion that the guns in england were definitely showing much higher speeds

This is a real cricket pitch, good to see the bowlers getting their rewards for immaculate line and length. Some shoddy shot selection from the SL batsman - they can't play a swinging ball and never will be able to. However, it might be worth a sneaky bet on SL here - I expect this game to still be a close one.

England has the best chance of going to semi's. Eng is playing 2 of their match on this ground(The Wanderers).
Oh i just noticed SL is playing 2 of their matches on this ground as well. I don't think they will be able to make it to the semi's if pitches remains the same

Taurus said:
This is a real cricket pitch, good to see the bowlers getting their rewards for immaculate line and length. Some shoddy shot selection from the SL batsman - they can't play a swinging ball and never will be able to. However, it might be worth a sneaky bet on SL here - I expect this game to still be a close one.

its only a good cricket pitch if the toss is taken out of the equation...i think on a track like this the team winning the toss and batting second have a huge huge advantage.

But like you said, the game aint over yet!

Inswinging Yorker said:
i think all the matches should be played on pitches like this....would be very exciting

very exciting for average seamers yes!!!

I really enjoy watching balls flying past the bat and slip catches being taken at head height...its an aspect of cricket that has been missing and one that I would be very very glad to see back!

at least pak is not the only team which was in trouble on green top wicket

broads 82mph (sorry 90mph in england) deliveries being despatched for 2 consecutive boundaries

i want sri lanka to get about 200 so mendis can bowl and get me some points :D

Last edited:
A couple of excellent shots for 4! Theres proves my point if you apply yourself and you have REAL quality you can get runs on this pitch too and each boundary is extremely valuable on such a pitch. Unlike the annoying indian type flatdecks where boundaries are a dime a dozen...

Broad was easily bowling 90mph in england!!!!!

today he is bowling 82-85 range

IMMY69 said:
broads 82mph (sorry 90mph in england) deliveries being despatched for 2 consecutive boundaries

Mate...Ryan Sidebottom was touching 90mph in england...do you even need any further proof??

Inswinging Yorker said:
is anderson , onions, aameer ,rana average seamers?

amir and rana are very good odi bowlers..amir is something special anyway and looks good in all formats so far...the english bowlers are less then average and you know this to be true...REMEMBER THIS IS ODI'S NOT TEST MATCHES!

The english bowlers looked absolutely average against the aussies in the odi's and have looked so in odi's over an extended period of time whereas pakistany bowlers have been head and shoulders better in odi's...so yes this track does make average bowlers look good (look at the windies!).

Inswinging Yorker said:
hey does england also have a different outfit?

i rem seeing them playing in red against aus

Yes this is englands older kit, the red one is the new one. I think they probably were not able to tailor the new kit in time for an ICC tournament (replacing the sponsors logo with 'England" etc'

IMMY69 said:
amir and rana are very good odi bowlers..amir is something special anyway and looks good in all formats so far...the english bowlers are less then average and you know this to be true...REMEMBER THIS IS ODI'S NOT TEST MATCHES!

The english bowlers looked absolutely average against the aussies in the odi's and have looked so in odi's over an extended period of time whereas pakistany bowlers have been head and shoulders better in odi's...so yes this track does make average bowlers look good (look at the windies!).

but you still have to bowl the ball in the right areas to get wickets.

if an average bowler gets 4 wickets against a strong batting line up....
does it also mean that the batsmen are average?

Harsha Bhogle bringing up the lahore attacks for no reason at all...

Imagine if Kulasekara was unleashed on this track first up.

hasanb said:
Yes this is englands older kit, the red one is the new one. I think they probably were not able to tailor the new kit in time for an ICC tournament (replacing the sponsors logo with 'England" etc'

ic

Inswinging Yorker said:
but you still have to bowl the ball in the right areas to get wickets.

if an average bowler gets 4 wickets against a strong batting line up....
does it also mean that the batsmen are average?

look i am talking about true class as a bowler..at the end of the day if you have truly class bowlers they will take wickets on any surface..on a helpful wicket an english type seamer will prosper because they are generally brought up to bowl line and length...

i am not gonna argue anymore because i do generally agree that a wicket should offer more to bowlers, but i just think that this wicket has a little too much...

contrary to my posts, i am actually enjoying the match and hope lanka can post a decent total to atleast make a match of it although my heart is truly with england

and english victory will also blow open this group too!!!

Last edited:
IMMY69 said:
look i am talking about true class as a bowler..at the end of the day if you have truly class bowlers they will take wickets on any surface..on a helpful wicket an english type seamer will prosper because they are generally brought up to bowl line and length...

i am not gonna argue anymore because i do generally agree that a wicket should offer more to bowlers, but i just think that this wicket has a little too much...

contrary to my posts, i am actually enjoying the match and hope lanka can post a decent total to atleast make a match of it although my heart is truly with england

and english victory will also blow open this group too!!!

well i disagree that english are average bowlers and thats final :)

Inswinging Yorker said:

Well stuart broad is certainly looking very much less that average here...

Inswinging Yorker said:

this is the attack that lost 6/1 to aussies and 5 nil to india..this is the bowling line-up which has been widely regarded as poor at odi cricket...
an attack which has been picked today that includes absolutely no spinner at all, what does that tell you about the wicket??????

and yes..this is final!

R u listening to wasim ....bottom line is that you still have to do the basics right.....

so whether u have 300 games below your belt or 2...otherwise u will not get success

IMMY69 said:
this is the attack that lost 6/1 to aussies and 5 nil to india..this is the bowling line-up which has been widely regarded as poor at odi cricket...
an attack which has been picked today that includes absolutely no spinner at all, what does that tell you about the wicket??????

and yes..this is final!

thats your opinion

you want to compare world champs auss with s/lanka?

Oh my word who was that girl just waving the SL flag there after that boundary...i need to know! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back