England v W Indies : 4th Test [Updates]

Oxy

Hall of Famer
Runs
The start of the fourth and final Test between England and West Indies was delayed because of torrential rain at Chester-le-Street's Riverside ground.

The toss, scheduled for 1030 BST, was unable to take place with covers all over the pitch and puddles extending to many parts of the outfield.

[BBC SPORT]

----

Should have started 30 mins ago.

Not looking good

_43051287_rain203.jpg

Rain, oh rain, we love you.

Rainnnnnnnnnnnnn

I love it when it rains during cricket games ; the channels show old games, that you generally don't get to see ;)

Day 1 : ABANDONED.

That must be the record for the quickest commentary thread!!!

Abandoned already? Only been a couple of hours..

Easa it's Pee'ing it down here, will carry on for a while. Should clear up by Sunday and then start again Monday through to Tuesday

I wonder if its gonna be a 2 day match

Prehaps sporting declarations will be made?

P.S. - this commy thread needs to be closed, and preserved forever for the history of PP for the shortest commentary thread

I guess it's fair to say it's even stevens at the close of the first day, good to see the Windies building on the good work at the latter stages of the last test.

Stop adding posts in this thread, it must be preserved as a record for the smallest commentary thread.

Why wasn't this match at the Oval? The West Indies Tests at the Oval have been a traditional part of their in-England series, atmosphere is the best in this ground. Shame, there may have been rain interruptions, a few showers today, but we would have seen some play.

Play has been delayed on the start of day 2. An inspection is due in 1 hour.

Is is not raining at the moment.

Since SKy Sports took over showing all Eng cricket on sattelite TV, its been a bit of a flop for them!

Oxy said:
Since SKy Sports took over showing all Eng cricket on sattelite TV, its been a bit of a flop for them!
My heart bleeds for Murdoch :23:

Why did Channel 4 stop covering cricket. They brought us Aussies who didn't have PayTV the Ashes in 05. And it must suck for those without Paytv who can't watch their own team in their own country!

Sean said:
Why did Channel 4 stop covering cricket. They brought us Aussies who didn't have PayTV the Ashes in 05. And it must suck for those without Paytv who can't watch their own team in their own country!

SKy paid the highest amount.

And Channel 5 got the contract for highlights in the UK.

SO Chaneel 4 were out-bid.

England win the toss and elect to field.

Windies Change - Injured Sammy out for Samuels
England Change - Plunkett dropped for Hoggard

Sky refering to Botham as "Sir Ian". I'm sick of it already.

Foxsports meant to be showing the match. But are showing interviews of cricketers. Haven't been paying attention but I heard Joel Garner. So I think it's about the Windies.

LOL! They are showing about active but we can't get it down here in aus. :))

Wicket first ball!
Ganger goes out caught by Bell off Sidebottom. Excellent catch! 1/0

captain really leading from the front here. :91:

Great nut! Full and swinging and it beats the edge! These are perfect conditions for Sidebottom.

Was Ali Cook who took the catch. As expected England take an early wicket. The rest will follow in good time.

A bit high there. Worth a shout.

Is it just me or is Chris Gayle's bat too small for him. He's really crouching over in his batting stance.

Easa said:
captain really leading from the front here. :91:
Seriously, Ganga must be the worst player of all the international captains out there

Daoud said:
Seriously, Ganga must be the worst player of all the international captains out there
He'll do well in the second innings.. just wait and see.

My god what power. Gayle hammers a cover drive for 4. Monty had no chance.

Whipped off his legs for a 6 next ball. Amazing shot by Gayle. He's taking on Sidebottom.

Short and cut for 4 by Gayle. The man is seeing it like a football out there. wasn't too wide either from Hoggard.

Hoggard gets Gayle now. Plumb as you like lbw. Gayle getting carried away going for a massive swing over what looked like mid on. swings in and is hitting middle out half way up. Really ridiculous batting. It was a slog in all honesty.

32/2 now

Sidebottom gets his 2nd and the Windies are 3 down. Devon Smith leaves ones and off stump is hit.

34/3

Windies Struggling now....Sidebottoms really impressed me since his comeback.

4 maidens in a row now. Excellent bowling by these 2. Both swinging it away with great control of line and length.

34/3

Chanderpaul breaks the shackles. 2 4s backward of point. First one guided nicely, the 2nd a full blooded cut shot.

42/3

England really tightening the screws on the West Indies.. excellent, controlled swing bowling.

Chanderpaul getting his own back.. 2 4's through covers.

Chanderpaul dropped at Gully. Peppering him with in dippers then the away swinger induces the edge only to be put down by Bell.

70/4. Left up to Chanderpaul to get a decent score on the board.

These two (Bravo/Chanderpaul) have looked like the only ones who are going to score any runs in this series. Batting with spirit right now, very dogged batting.

113/4 (Chanderpaul 44, Bravo 28)

What WI needs is exactly this.

Shiv needs another 100.
Bravo must be very defensive, and block. He should only hit the balls that are easy to hit.
He will probly make a proud 60+
Samuels must use his talent at 100% full potential. He must go for the big runs. He can add on another 60 or 70+ to the score.
Then Ramdin, must make his little 30+ runs, and the tail-enders just has to survive as much as they can and all together add up 30 runs+
Then WI's score will be like 320+ which is a decent score.

With someone as talented and as unpredictable as Samuels in next, West Indies can either go for a huge score or just bundle up for less than 300. It all depends on which Samuels shows up today.

132/4 at the end of day 2. Rain causes a premature end.

Chanderpaul 44
Bravo 43

141/5

Bravo gone to Hoggard dragging it back into his off stump. That was the early breakthrough needed. Hopefully the rest can follow for under 250.

Samuels hits a 4 down to 3rd man.

158/5

Hoggard has been perfect this morning, only conceded 7 runs and taken a wicket. Lovely, controlled swing bowling.

195/5; Chanderpaul inching towards his 100.

Sidebehind picks up a wicket, bowls Samuels around his legs! Excruciating innings comes to an end..

199/6

Seems to be no real interest in this match! :))

287/9 (Chanderpaul 136*, Collymore 13) Both of them are really frustrating the English.

Panesar wraps it up. West Indies 287 all out, Chanderpaul stranded on 136 - great great innings!

28/0. Strauss playing much better than he has done. 20 runs all from boundaries.

Back to back 4s on the legside by Cook. 2nd one was a pearler through mid wicket.

Edged and gone strangled down the legside. Nothing delivery by Edwards but Cook has tickled it to Ramdin off his pads. England lose their first, Cook for 13.

37/1

Star Sports deciding to show F1 racing, so I cant watch.

Updates, please - and I don't mean the normal score updates, whats going on in the match?

Is the ball nipping around, or is it a subcontinent-like pancake?

And, is the ball spinning, and how many catches have the Windies dropped?

Last edited:
zMario, this pitch is really slow, almost subcontinental like. Not much in it for the bowlers, the West Indies gave many of their wickets away and now England are making them pay.

Easa said:
Not much in it for the bowlers.
Obviously not watching then. There's plenty of lateral movement through the air for the seam up bowlers. The Windies are just bowling it too wide to make it non-threatening

99/1

Edged and gone caught at 2nd slip. Vaughan nibbles at an away swinger from Edwards. Gets the edge and Bravo takes an easy one. Vaughan gone for 19. No help for the pace bowlers then Easa ;-)

110/2

My man Hoggard comes in as nightwatchman. Hopefully he can stick it out rather than do a Perth.

Rob H said:
Edged and gone caught at 2nd slip. Vaughan nibbles at an away swinger from Edwards. Gets the edge and Bravo takes an easy one. Vaughan gone for 19. No help for the pace bowlers then Easa ;-)

110/2

Sorry Rob my man...but...GO WINDIES !!!!!

Support them all you want. They are never going to win a test match against us.

Edged and gone again. Hoggard lasts 5 balls and is out of there caught 1st slip. Shouldnt have chased the wide one but what do you expect from a number 10. Collymore doesnt deserve that wicket given he's bowled poorly.

119/3

Utterly dreadful and undefendable shot from Pietersen to the last ball of the day. Maybe if he ever finds a brain to mix with the talent he'll become the batsman he is inside his own head.

Rob H said:
Support them all you want. They are never going to win a test match against us.[/QUOTE]

I remember a certain W.Indies side of 15-20-30 years ago who were saying things like that against England as well, not only, them, but the whole world. And they were right. ;-)

Boy how cricket has changed eh Rob?

Rob H said:
Obviously not watching then. There's plenty of lateral movement through the air for the seam up bowlers. The Windies are just bowling it too wide to make it non-threatening

99/1
The pitch is a very slow one, the lateral movement in the air is because of the overhead conditions. It doesn't make the pitch any slower than it is. Did you see where the slips were standing when Sidebottom was bowling?

Augustus said:
Utterly dreadful and undefendable shot from Pietersen to the last ball of the day. Maybe if he ever finds a brain to mix with the talent he'll become the batsman he is inside his own head.

Is he out lol???

And I must ask, why was Pietersen trying to pull that ball? Just let it go - its the last ball of the day. Departs for 0, that wicket must really boost West Indies.

121/4

Easa said:
And I must ask, why was Pietersen trying to pull that ball? Just let it go - its the last ball of the day. Departs for 0, that wicket must really boost West Indies.

121/4

I must say, with Pietersen, vaughan and co gone, 121/4 does look hell like 121/6 now.
Cook and Collingwood need to get their arses inshape..

Easa said:
The pitch is a very slow one, the lateral movement in the air is because of the overhead conditions. It doesn't make the pitch any slower than it is. Did you see where the slips were standing when Sidebottom was bowling?
The pitch has been undercover for a week. There is some juice in it for the seam bowlers which can be seen by movement off the pitch.

Rob H said:
The pitch has been undercover for a week. There is some juice in it for the seam bowlers which can be seen by movement off the pitch.
I am merely responding to your comment:
There's plenty of lateral movement through the air for the seam up bowlers.
Usually swing is a result of overhead conditions, while SEAM MOVEMENT is a result of the pitch. Get your facts right.

There might be a little help for the bowlers but I'll repeat, its a very slow pitch and after weathering the early storm, its one for batsman.

:21:
Easa said:
I am merely responding to your comment:

Usually swing is a result of overhead conditions, while SEAM MOVEMENT is a result of the pitch. Get your facts right.

There might be a little help for the bowlers but I'll repeat, its a very slow pitch and after weathering the early storm, its one for batsman.

Hows the off field? Is it quickish?

Yeah one for Easa to answer as he's obviously watching the match with great detail.

Rob H said:
Yeah one for Easa to answer as he's obviously watching the match with great detail.
Nice way of avoiding my last post mate..
Hows the off field? Is it quickish?
From what I've seen so far, no it is not. The rain has taken its toll.

Back