[EXCLUSIVE] ''As long as I am fit, I want to represent Pakistan": Mohammad Ali

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The star pacer of Multan Sultans Mohammad Ali joined PakPassion for an exclusive interview and talked about:

- His bowling heroics in PSL 9
- Inspiration while growing up
- Importance of red-ball cricket
- T20 Leagues & Test cricket
- GOAT Batter & bowler of the current era
- His admiration for Dale Steyn & Shoaib Akhtar

Watch his full interview with PakPassion here:

Last edited:
He's been outstanding in the 2023 domestic season and is now the leading wicket-taker in PSL 9. He has a promising future in Pakistan's ODIs and T20Is.

Seems like having Cath Dalton as bowling coach at Multan Sultans has helped him in his bowling. Having someone who looks at the simplist and most technical things of bowling does help in the long run.

Has started off well in his first PSL and can only get better with time ahead.

The Test was Jason Roy on a placid track

He has passed round 1 of this Test. Good bowler

Fantastic bowler. I actually watch the PSL just to see Ali and Abbas in action. I honestly think Ali is not far off being a permanent in the Odi and test line up. Has everything. Good lifting off stump lines. Variation of pace and angles but above all a wicket taking brain. Knew exactly what he was doing to Jason Roy today.

Mohammad Ali continues to impress, showing exceptional bowling skills with 3 wickets for only 19 runs in his four-over spell against Quetta Gladiators. This performance adds to his remarkable tally of 13 wickets in total in PSL 9.

Mohammad Ali said during the post-match interview:

"I want to credit first-class cricket for my performance. Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar became legends by playing four-day cricket. Red-ball cricket covers all formats, it is very important."

How on earth such a player never played a single white ball game for Pakistan?

It just shows how poor and pathetic the whole set up is. This happens when there is 0 vision.

It just shows how poor and pathetic the whole set up is. This happens when there is 0 vision.
Do you think there is space for him in the white ball XI?
I feel like its tough no?

Do you think there is space for him in the white ball XI?
I feel like its tough no?
He should have played, we play countless JAMODIs and they never tried this fellow? Almost criminal. But what can you expect from this set clueless set up.

He should have played, we play countless JAMODIs and they never tried this fellow? Almost criminal. But what can you expect from this set clueless set up.

What is also bizarre to me is that at the age of 31 he has only played:

- 40 FC games
- 25 List A games
- 14 T20 games

So he hasn't even been given a proper chance in the domestic set up it seems

f2qCGwh.png

His pace in T20's has been better than expected with him maximing out around 141-142. I think if he can maintain around 135 clicks in Tests, he could be a good option but still likely a conditions dependent bowler if its a grassy pitch or in SENA conditions.

Certainly worth another look in Tests on non-flat pitches.

Once he gets taste of Franchise cricket, gets a lot of hype after taking a 3 wicket haul against India and potentially helps winning a T20I match, he also will regress and not perform.. Story of Pakistani cricketers off late.
Get a lot of hype and then just no performance... Shaheen,Rauf, even Babar has not performed as expected against top sides
and overseas matches.

Well he played a test against England last year and was hammered to all parts by Bazball. It’s a huge challenge to play in longer formats

His test debut was not a true reflection of his ability. That was the worst track imaginable for any bowler to debut on. I would be interested to see how he does in Tests on more balanced surfaces. Because he is very smart with his lengths and has some guile which is why he has been so successful in the PSL as well. Also interested to see how he bowls in Lahore which hasn't been as helpful to fast-bowlers as Multan.

Muhammad Ali has been a revelation for Multan in PSL 9.

A very smart signing with great new ball and old ball skills and can bowl in the middle overs as well.

His pace has been mighty impressive consistently bowling 140 - 144 KPH near on 90 MPH.

If he ends up being in the Top 3 wicket takers this PSL I think he ll be on the plane to the Carib for the T20 WC with a place in the squad.

Well he played a test against England last year and was hammered to all parts by Bazball. It’s a huge challenge to play in longer formats
You cant judge a player after 1 test.

Steve waugh and so many others had poor starts so its definitely not a yard stick.

rb6FpBN.png

Here is a crazy stat: out of the best bowling figures in PSL 9, Mohammad Ali has starred in 3 of them 🤯

I think he is a brilliant talent and needs to be in the team in place of Haris Rauf.

He looks miles better than Rauf. I have no idea how he has gone under the radar, but he has ability with the new ball which is severely lacking in Pakistan cricket. He moves the ball, can hit the pitch on the right lines, and even though he's not lightning fast, he has bowled well at the death as well with great use of the yorker.

Looks like a very tough competitor as well. I don't have much faith in the selection process, but maybe someone from outside of Pakistan can point the selectors in the right direction and get him in the national set up.

He looks miles better than Rauf. I have no idea how he has gone under the radar, but he has ability with the new ball which is severely lacking in Pakistan cricket. He moves the ball, can hit the pitch on the right lines, and even though he's not lightning fast, he has bowled well at the death as well with great use of the yorker.

Looks like a very tough competitor as well. I don't have much faith in the selection process, but maybe someone from outside of Pakistan can point the selectors in the right direction and get him in the national set up.

I agree, while Naseem was injured, we lacked another impact new ball bowler. And it exposed us that we had not prepared anyone in case of injury. Mohammad Ali and even Mir Hamza look like they can fill that void in case Naseem needs longer to get fully fit.

Zaman and Rauf find it hard to bowl with the newer ball (although Zaman is improving). But now that Rauf is injured we need someone who is good in the middle and death overs. Zaman, Mohammad Wasim can do that but Mohammad Ali could perhaps fill that void too.

Very impressive, deserves to be in all three formats. He is better than most of the PSL frauds(tapiyas)

He has been sensational in this PSL. Last season we saw great bowling by Ihsanullah for Multan Sultans and in his absence, Mohammad Ali is leading the Sultans' bowling attack superbly.

Gets most of his wickets when he aims at the stumps. Also he isn't giving the batter's much width. Keeping it very tight yet simple is Mohammad Ali.

PuVbzRd.png

3 overs for 46 today with no wickets. Went at 15 an over.
His first 5 games he took 13 wickets for 112 runs
Since then he has played 3 games only taken 1 wicket and has been really expensive. I wonder if he has been found out as a bowler

3 overs for 46 today with no wickets. Went at 15 an over.
His first 5 games he took 13 wickets for 112 runs
Since then he has played 3 games only taken 1 wicket and has been really expensive. I wonder if he has been found out as a bowler
take out hard length and yorkers he is zero of a bowler.

Mohammad Ali has taken 14 wickets in PSL 9 so far, making him the second-highest wicket-taker of the tournament. Can he finish as the highest wicket-taker by the end of the tournament?

He gets Mohammad Haris in a very important qualifier against PZ. Can he do any further damage?

A pitch map of all of Mohammad Ali's balls is in this PSL. Mostly length and hitting the sumpts. Just what you want on slower pitches.

Shaheen should learn from him, mostly too full he is

0VpXILq.png

Despite being one of the top performers of the Domestic season 2023 and then the second highest wicket taker in PSL 9, he was snubbed for not being selected in the Pakistan squad for the ICC T20I World Cup 2024. But he is unstoppable, in the 1st semi-final of the President's Cup 2024 between SBP and SNGPL. Mohammad Ali has bowled decently for SNGPL, with an economy rate of 4.90 while securing bowling figures of 3/49 in 10 overs

A pitch map of all of Mohammad Ali's balls is in this PSL. Mostly length and hitting the sumpts. Just what you want on slower pitches.

Shaheen should learn from him, mostly too full he is

0VpXILq.png
Imagine not selecting your best psl performer but selecting hasebullah.

On what basis does zaman khan make it in the squad over him?

Back