[EXCLUSIVE] "I've not had the chances that some other players have been given to prove themselves": Usman Qadir

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Usman Qadir chats to Saj about his lack of consistent chances in international cricket, his disappointment at not being given a run of matches for Pakistan, responds to accusations that he has only played international cricket due to his friendship with Babar Azam, any regrets on leaving Australia and returning to Pakistan, the pressure of having a cricketing legend as his father, his future hopes to return to international cricket and more.

I feel for him. No way Zahid deserved to play ahead of Qadir. Infact, Qadir is a better legpsinner than Shadab and his batting is not too bad either. I'd like to see Qadir get more chances.

I sympathize with his situation. But why so few matches in First Class? He has played 12 first class matches so far. He made his first class debut 10 years ago. By now he should have played a 100 FC matches or something. But like many of his contemporaries he seems more interested in T20s than Test cricket (or real cricket).

He can become a perfect candiate for Pakistan to represent them in Test Cricket.. Perfect leg break and Sharp googlies with control.

I feel for him. No way Zahid deserved to play ahead of Qadir. Infact, Qadir is a better legpsinner than Shadab and his batting is not too bad either. I'd like to see Qadir get more chances.
Neither Zahid nor Usman are test quality. But I agree Usman deserved a chance if the other option was Zahid

How many wickets did he take in 3-4 day cricket last season?
While his appearances have been limited, I am eager to witness him showcasing his skills in the longer format of the game. I have no doubt that he possesses the potential to excel in that arena.

While his appearances have been limited, I am eager to witness him showcasing his skills in the longer format of the game. I have no doubt that he possesses the potential to excel in that arena.
I know you trust his abilities but domestic performances should be the only criteria for national selection. If Qadir really wants a spot in red ball then he better shed his sweat and blood in the domestic season.

I know you trust his abilities but domestic performances should be the only criteria for national selection. If Qadir really wants a spot in red ball then he better shed his sweat and blood in the domestic season.
Yeah. That's true. he must have showcase his skills at domestic circuit first. He has skills and he can do well.

A guy who can't bowl accurately and bowls 2 full tosses and 2 half pitches, and ends up playing international cricket, starts to complain that he wasn't given enough chances in international cricket....

And than there are people that think what he is saying is absolutely right.

No wonder this country is a mess.

A leg spinner who can't bowl in the accurate spot, will never be given an international cap. So he should be thankful to babar and others who gave him an international cap when he did not deserve it.

Australia has got no spinner and are desperate for one. This guy went to Australia and even they did not deem him to be good enough because when you as a spinner can't bowl with accuracy, than you are just not good enough.

His comments about 10 to 15 year olds abusing them on social media made me laugh.

He's right, kids pretending to be experts, swearing, abusing, using disgusting language - the sad reality of many modern-day cricket fans.

His comments about 10 to 15 year olds abusing them on social media made me laugh.

He's right, kids pretending to be experts, swearing, abusing, using disgusting language - the sad reality of many modern-day cricket fans.
Why don't he stop taking comments. Why does he post.

I must admit, he's quite unlucky. With Shadab around, it seems unlikely that any other leg spinner can secure a spot in the playing XI, given Shadab's added advantage of batting skills.

He was the king of full tosses. No line, length or control. No thanks, not needed in the squad.

I must admit, he's quite unlucky. With Shadab around, it seems unlikely that any other leg spinner can secure a spot in the playing XI, given Shadab's added advantage of batting skills.
unlucky?

bro, he is VERY VERY VERY lucky. With his kind of bowling, you dont get to play international cricket.

If there is a spinner that was unlucky, that has to be Mohammad Asghar

Usman qadir is lucky. He wouldn't have even been selected pcb didn't respect his dad.

The son however is completly clueless on line and length. It doesn't matter how well you spin the ball if you keep bowling full tosses consistently.

He has not improved his game since day 1.

He's still playing the victim card. First he said i'll leave pak and represent australia. then was given a chance in pak team but never really improved.

If he wants chances, he needs to prove himself at the domestic level. Pak test team doesn't have any proven spinners. He needs to go to fc cricket and take loads of wickets. That's what Abrar did to get in the team.

Usama Mir is superior to him in both bowling and batting and has improved in last 2 years.

unlucky?

bro, he is VERY VERY VERY lucky. With his kind of bowling, you dont get to play international cricket.

If there is a spinner that was unlucky, that has to be Mohammad Asghar

Usman qadir is lucky. He wouldn't have even been selected pcb didn't respect his dad.

The son however is completly clueless on line and length. It doesn't matter how well you spin the ball if you keep bowling full tosses consistently.

He has not improved his game since day 1.
When I say "unlucky," I'm referring to the situation where, despite his good performances, he will consistently be overshadowed by Shadab due to Shadab's superior batting skills.

When I say "unlucky," I'm referring to the situation where, despite his good performances, he will consistently be overshadowed by Shadab due to Shadab's superior batting skills.
what situation? Bhai, shadab knows how to bowl. Even if shadab cant bat he is ahead of qadir on bowling alone.

Every bowler who can throw accrautely is better than Usman Qadir

Any player who plays the victim card such as umar akmal, usman Qadir, Ahmed Shezad is a major red flag to never call someone back to International cricket.

Yes their maybe be nepotism like shan, or asad shafiq but they get dropped and exposed eventually.

Cricket is a competitive game where you gotta be at your best. Wanna know why babar is in the team and not you Mr Usman Qadir? It isn't because of luck, Babar is simply more valuable that you.

Provide more value then shadab and you'll get picked. Otherwise stop playing victim, get better that's all.

He's been picked for the Asia Games squad.

Let's see how he does.

Lots of competition at the moment with Shadab Khan and Usama Mir as the first choice leggies.

I feel sorry for him. Selecting rubbish spinners like Shadab, Usama and Nawaz ahead of him must feel so humiliating. Then not even getting a chance in the Asian Games must have hurt him.

He can atleast spin the ball and has some variety in his bowling. I wonder if Pakistan would have been better of selecting him for the WC.

it's extremely wierd Pak domestic doesn't have spinners who can spin the ball as much as him or even half and I am not even talking about control or line and length.

Strangly he was given chances in t20s which was a wrong format for him. He is a big turner of the ball and should have been groomed as a test match spinner and for ODIs.

I always believe this guy can do wonders in test cricket if he gets any chance.

He has a wide range of variations including googlies, well-flighted leg breaks, and a deceptive flipper which can cause trouble to any batsman.

Interestingly he's not managed by the same agent as Babar, Shaheen and co.

Usman Qadir bowled a nice spell today against the Lahore region in the National T20 Cup. His figures were 4 overs, took 3 wickets and gave away just 28 runs.

Usman Qadir vs Peshawar in National T20 Cup 2023

Overs - 4
Wickets - 5
Runs - 14
Dot Balls - 12
Economy - 3.50

Maiden T20 five-wicket haul for him

20231203_165758.jpg

You can’t put a good man down for too long, the devil’s in the name; he has the GENE.

Also, I don’t think Usama did a horrible job in the World Cup, but I like Usman’s body language to. He might be a bit stronger mentally.

He is much much better than Shadab as a bowler. I've said it from day one.

He actually turns the ball. His variations and control are much better as well.

12 dots in T20 is no joke. Today, he was exceptional. I hope he will learn to maintain consistency.
He cant. He tries too much and ends up bowling rubbish too often. He should be a real star with his ability to sharply spin the ball both ways but he can't be trusted. Some of it is technical but much of it is psychological

He is much much better than Shadab as a bowler. I've said it from day one.

He actually turns the ball. His variations and control are much better as well.
He has more talent but under pressure he wilts. Doesn't trust his leg spin and falls to pieces

Interestingly he's not managed by the same agent as Babar, Shaheen and co.
If there is any close friend Babar has, it is Usman. He was the first person Babar went to meet after coming back from India. If he was selected for national team in recent times, people would call him 'Dostu Yaari' selection too.

If there is any close friend Babar has, it is Usman. He was the first person Babar went to meet after coming back from India. If he was selected for national team in recent times, people would call him 'Dostu Yaari' selection too.
Our cricket is a mess. No one trusts their own eyes but want to put these labels as a get clause for poor performance

Don’t know if he’s better than Usama Mir.
Only thing he has going for him, is that he is tall. But he has extremely poor control.

He is better than Shadab as he can turn the ball and slow it up through the air. But I'd still pick Usman over him.

He should have gone to Aus, would have been much better for him, with regular cricket he probably be somewhere by now, but we would never know.

Will someone please get a hold of him and tell him to just bowl leg spin, proper hard spun leg spin. With the talent he has, it will force him to concentrate on a good length on off stump. He also needs to lose weight, he looks around 2 stone overweight

decent t20 option but i'd persist with Usama Mir in ODIs
Usama Mir is good for nothing

atleast usman qadir knows where to pitch the ball as a spinner.

Dont know why he doesnt get a chance in test cricket, how he flights the ball he can become a lethal one in red ball cricket.

Usama Mir is good for nothing
He topped the one day wicket charts last year, I'm ok to give him a long run in ODIs. If Shadab got 6 years, Usama Mir can have his chances

atleast usman qadir knows where to pitch the ball as a spinner.

He would always bowl two good balls then at least two half trackers in his overs, there's a reason he hasn't played for pakistan in over a year

Dont know why he doesnt get a chance in test cricket, how he flights the ball he can become a lethal one in red ball cricket.
He averages 42!!!! with the ball in first class cricket, he should be kept far away from the test team. I'd even take Zahid Mehmood in tests over him

He should have been in NZ instead of Usama Mir. He should have been in the WC squad in place of Usama Mir.

Atleast Usman can actually spin the ball.

He should have been in NZ instead of Usama Mir. He should have been in the WC squad in place of Usama Mir.

There isn't much difference between these two. Both will give you 3 good balls and 3 horror shows.

Abrar is the only leggie who is currently untested in international white ball cricket. The rest are TTFs and there doesn't seem to be a solution anywhere. Shadab can at least bat and field though.

Needs to work hard on his fitness, needs to play FC and needs to bowl with the field up because in limited overs with the field out, you become lazy both mentally and technically

I believe Usman Qadir could be a very good Test spinner. I don't know why he never gets selected in Test cricket

Pakistan's spin sensation, Usman Qadir, showcased his prowess for Durdanto Dhaka with an impressive spell of 16/1 in 4 overs, maintaining a stellar economy of 4.00. Despite his stellar performance, Durdanto Dhaka couldn't secure the win, succumbing to Chattogram Challengers by 6 wickets.

Usman Qadir put up a moderate performance for Durdanto Dhaka, registering figures of 1/36 in 4 overs with an economy rate of 9.00 against Sylhet Strikers. His overall showing in BPL 2024 has been average so far

I think Usman is a very good Test bowler. I don't know why the managemen is wasting him playing T20 cricket. Let's try him in Tests I am sure he will do wonders there.

I think Usman is a very good Test bowler. I don't know why the managemen is wasting him playing T20 cricket. Let's try him in Tests I am sure he will do wonders there.
I agree mate - he wasted his career chasing the t20 dream and ended up being a long hop champion…

With his ability with the ball he should have played 4 day cricket and pushed for test spot, would have been a serious test bowler had he gone down that route - then made attempts at t20.

He got it the wrong way around….

He has far more skills than that guy, Usama Mir. was not given a long run and the time has come to make him play some games regularly.

Usman Qadir was in action for Durdanto Dhaka in BPL 2024. Usman Qadir is a star with the ball, taking 2 crucial wickets and giving away just 16 runs in his four overs. Impressive stuff from him. However, Durdanto Dhaka is not giving him consistent chances.

Despite Usman Qadir's stellar performance, Sylhet Strikers ended up winning by 5 wickets.

I won't be surprised if this guy leaves Pakistan soon. He has been treated unfairly right throughout his career.

He is a solid bowler. Just doesn't have the heart to really take his name to the next level.

He could have played QEA and became a solid test bowler because he has all the variations and subtleties.

Seems to always chose the easy way out though.

I agree mate - he wasted his career chasing the t20 dream and ended up being a long hop champion…

With his ability with the ball he should have played 4 day cricket and pushed for test spot, would have been a serious test bowler had he gone down that route - then made attempts at t20.

He got it the wrong way around….
Exactly. Look at the test level bowlers we have and he could be better than them all.

No longer picked for Pakistan.
Not picked in PSL.

Pretty obvious what's coming.

They should start a petition for all the players in Pakistan who feels this way.

At the top of the list I want Kamran Akmal’s name and his infamous quote ‘Just give me three chances bro’

the way PCB treated him its better that he should move on.
Not sure what he wants? He was given more opportunity to represent Pakistan than Imad Wasim in the past 2-3 years. It’s no one’s fault if you bowl a full toss and a half tracker every over

Not sure what he wants? He was given more opportunity to represent Pakistan than Imad Wasim in the past 2-3 years. It’s no one’s fault if you bowl a full toss and a half tracker every over
Usman was good but not at his father's level.

He was getting opportunities in wrong format. Was a big turner of the ball and have a googly. Could have been a very good asset in Tests specially on a fourth and fifth day track

He was getting opportunities in wrong format. Was a big turner of the ball and have a googly. Could have been a very good asset in Tests specially on a fourth and fifth day track
Are you crazy? Test cricket is the one arena where your line and length has to be impeccable as the batsmen don’t go after you to get themselves out on bad balls. You have to land the ball on a handkerchief consistently over and over again. Usman can’t even land it on the strip and should not even carry drinks for the 2nd 11. He’s been very fortunate that he had a go and for a day or two he put thoughts in shadabs mind.

However it’s no bad thing to have shadab, usama, Abrar competing for one spot. I feel Usman is bound to run off blaming others.

Are you crazy? Test cricket is the one arena where your line and length has to be impeccable as the batsmen don’t go after you to get themselves out on bad balls. You have to land the ball on a handkerchief consistently over and over again. Usman can’t even land it on the strip and should not even carry drinks for the 2nd 11. He’s been very fortunate that he had a go and for a day or two he put thoughts in shadabs mind.

However it’s no bad thing to have shadab, usama, Abrar competing for one spot. I feel Usman is bound to run off blaming others.
So, you think with bad line and length, he can play t20s where the batsman will go for cleaners against him. And in test he can't bowl due to that? Spinners in test cricket is all about genuine spin who can turn the bowl, not like shadab or imad who can't turn an inch and occupies the spot of a spinner. Line and length can be improved, but you can't transform any bowler from a t20 slow bowler to a genuine test spinner who can actually spin the ball.

So, you think with bad line and length, he can play t20s where the batsman will go for cleaners against him. And in test he can't bowl due to that? Spinners in test cricket is all about genuine spin who can turn the bowl, not like shadab or imad who can't turn an inch and occupies the spot of a spinner. Line and length can be improved, but you can't transform any bowler from a t20 slow bowler to a genuine test spinner who can actually spin the ball.
His spin is useless if he just throws full tosses 24/7

If he is moving to OZ, good for him. He can get fair chances there but has to perform there as well to prove his worth. He will not get away with his mediocre line and length if he continues to bowl full tosses and half trackers.

Where did I write he should play T20’s? Infact what you struggle to understand is my main point he should be nowhere near any kind of national team. What he does aside from that is between him and his selectors.

Back