[EXCLUSIVE] "What is the guarantee that Gary Kirsten will take Pakistan to victory in the World Cup?": Atiq-uz-Zaman

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Former Pakistan International and ECB Certified Level 4 coach, Atiq-uz-Zaman, shares his experience with Saj in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.

Having served as a talent scout for England Men's and England Lions, Atiq's expertise currently extends to coaching the national German Cricket team.

Atiq is not only one of the highly qualified coaches in Pakistan but also regarded as one of the best brains in understanding the game.

Topics discussed:

Coaching the German Team: Challenges faced while coaching the national German Cricket team.

Collaboration with the ECB: His role with the ECB and what he feels was his impact on English cricket.

Decoding the PCB's Preference for Overseas Coaches: What he feels are the reasons behind Pakistan Cricket Board's preference for foreign coaches over local talent.

Jason Gillespie and Gary Kirsten: PCB's strategic move to hire Jason Gillespie and Gary Kirsten and its potential impact on Pakistan cricket.

Reflecting on his association with Lahore Qalandars: Insights and anecdotes from his stint with Lahore Qalandars in the Pakistan Super League.

Watch full interview here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Atiq has a point but the problem is that given our lack of any trophies in the past few years, any experiment would be welcome!

It seems Gary Kirsten may face dismissal after the World Cup if he fails to lead Pakistan to victory, given the high expectations placed on him already by the pakistanis

He doesn't have any expectations that too when he's going to be linking up the team 10 days before the WC.

Only those who want him to fail would have expectations from him to win them the WC straight away which isn't realistic whatsoever.

If they make it to the semis that would be a bonus and an achievement for Kirsten and the team itself.

Pakistanis need to become realistic and give Kirsten time and leeway to experience and experiment with this side.

The result of the WC should not have any bearing on his profile

Gillispie can also act as a fast bowling coach and Kirsten as batting coach. I'm liking the thinking behind this. And who said there are gaurantees? Performance should be judged afer a 2 year stint at the minimum. Really they should have 4 full years to prepare for the ODI WC.

One does wonder what termination clauses have been agreed with Kirsten, as I feel that knives will be already out from the Pakistani coaches once they find out how much he is being paid.

One does wonder what termination clauses have been agreed with Kirsten, as I feel that knives will be already out from the Pakistani coaches once they find out how much he is being paid.
Our formers just want big fat cheque doing nothing.

This guy is so full of opinions, just like any other pakistani coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
In such mega events, there are no guarantees, only luck and hard work work. I agree with Atiq-uz-Zaman that these newly appointed overseas coaches will not watch our domestic circuit and pay attention in improvement of system. It's impossible to get results until we change our backward system.

Gary has not even joined the team and the knives are out for him. This is Pakistan's environment.

Let him join the team first, I don't think he can change anything in 1 month, but he is definitely the best one there and is the right guy selected for this job. PCB did a good job with coach selection this time. Knives should be kept inside for at least 1 year.

No one can guarantee anything for any team. Sich an absurd take that
I agree it's a very odd view to take.
The best a coach can do is to improve his team, make them more effective and ensure new players fit into the team environment they create. No coach worth anything would guarantee they will win any competition.

Interesting to hear his views on Aaqib and the LQ coaching setup.

According to Atiq it was very chaotic.

Well it would be ludicrous from PCT fans to expect a trophy from Kirsten in just first month of his stint. Patience would be the key to success here.
The max any coach can do is have an impact strategically and tactically before any game and some suggestions during it but in cricket the captain s role is more significant as opposed to football where he coach / manager can have a big impact.

Obviously new ideas and strategies will require a bit of time.

But ultimately It is the players jobs to perform on the pitch and make a difference and win the game / tournament.

The coach cant play for the team.

That never changes.

Well it would be ludicrous from PCT fans to expect a trophy from Kirsten in just first month of his stint. Patience would be the key to success here.
Its not a question of expecting Kirsten to win a trophy in a month.

Its about the players attitude, confidence and mindset to win.

That is what supporter's expect when they put on that Green shirt.

If the team won the trophy on his first assignment it would be more down to the players than Kirsten s impact.

The home CT is where Kirsten can be judged fairly.

This bit was wild haha:

Atiq-uz-Zaman: "I told Aqib Javed in really harsh words that I can't continue, and I don't want to work with you anymore."

There is no guarantee for any coach in the whole world that he will win you World Cups. Having an opinion is your right but toxicity should not prevail when you are saying something that is meant to be watched and heard by the public.

Back