Fawad Alam in 5-10 years

amjad_ali

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
Ok so this is a question I have for all of you. You guys have made Fawad Alam look like Don Bradman when really IMO, he is slightly better than average at his best. I want to know why you guys think he is a bright batting prospect for Pakistan.

So 2 questions:

1) Are you a Fawad Alam fan?
2) In 5-10 years, where do you see him as a batsman?

amjad_ali said:
You guys have made Fawad Alam look like Don Bradman

Who? When & where. Please let me know. No point responding until then....

Oxy said:
Who? When & where. Please let me know. No point responding until then....

Well clearly, that was a hyperbole but I am sure you get the point. I mean he is being called the 'big hope' for the middle order and I remember people saying we shud drop the likes of Yousuf and Younis to accomodate Fawad Alam. I mean this is simply ridiculous dont you think.

amjad_ali said:
Well clearly, that was a hyperbole but I am sure you get the point. I mean he is being called the 'big hope' for the middle order and I remember people saying we shud drop the likes of Yousuf and Younis to accomodate Fawad Alam. I mean this is simply ridiculous dont you think.
When you have a first class tail ender as your main batting power house (senior batsman) then certainly I think Alam is a big hope......:)

as long as he performs, i don't care how ugly he may seem when he bats. technique is overrated.

In the same logical sense as this thread, I would like to say

that on the scale of 1 to 10 ( 1 being good 10 being average), Fawad Alam is 24 years old.

Wazeeri said:

that on the scale of 1 to 10 ( 1 being good 10 being average), Fawad Alam is 24 years old.
24 which actually means 27 :))

amjad_ali said:

No.

Those who support Fawad want him to be given a fair run in the team. Till now that has not been the case even though his performance has been pretty good considering he has been batting out of position and when only a few overs a left to bowl.

Fawad has qualities very few have at the moment. He has the ability to play according to the situation and puts a premium on his wicket. All your batsmen cannot be stroke players you need players who can keep their wicket intact and rotate the strike. Fawad is one such player. Give him an extended run in the team and then judge him.

I give this article a 1 star.

Atleast come with a better comparison than Bradman?!

Btw, name one other player more deserving than him for the line-up. THe reason people like him is because he has bided his time for players like Misbah, Malik, Farhat, manzoor, Butt and co to get picked ahead of him. Do you see? No-one is saying he will be the next Richards or Sobers or anything- people just want to see a guy worthy of being in the line-up (based on performances) be in the line-up.

You guys have made Fawad Alam look like Don Bradman

A LOT of people do that to A LOT of players. Umar Akmal will be Pakistan's next Bradman.....he'll be the 'must be dropped now' after a couple of failures.

Mohsin said:
A LOT of people do that to A LOT of players. Umar Akmal will be Pakistan's next Bradman.....he'll be the 'must be dropped now' after a couple of failures.
Akmal won't fail, mark my word. He is another miandad in the making. May be even better.

Fawad got a good head on his shoulders but needs to work a bit on his technique.

That Chanderpaul stance of his is not easy to work with.

amjad_ali said:
Ok so this is a question I have for all of you. You guys have made Fawad Alam look like Don Bradman when really IMO, he is slightly better than average at his best. I want to know why you guys think he is a bright batting prospect for Pakistan.

So 2 questions:

1) No

2) A street vendor in Karachi trying to sell his bat

Last edited:
interesting thoughts! For one, I will definitely prefer him over Malik, Manzoor and Khalid Latif any day but again, all i can tihnk of is Brett Lee bowling him an inswinger and with taht huge shuffle, cahnces of survival look pretty bleak! I am not sayin that he isnt talented! What i am trying to convey is that he is not fully equipped (technically) to face bowlers who will bring the ball back into him! We saw that in the SL series too where he got out to inswingers! No need to get offended and what not!

He was playing alright till he got a great delivery from Bond.

I mean that was just a really good ball. Can't really blame Fawad for that. Same for Yousuf. He looked alright up until that great catch from Bond.

Wazeeri said:

:))

i am his fan. but only because iam high on the hype my fellow PP'ers have given him. He seems promising and i think i would definitly give him a good chance. he has done well at domestic level, and he has the deepest desire to come on top for pakistan. Too early to predict rightnow but i can see him as a permanent middle order batsman.

He has not done enough to impress me and i think during the Aussies tour and few tours after, Aamir, Umar and Favad will both be able to give some outlook on how they will fare in long run.

amjad_ali said:

So 2 questions:

1. Yes, because he seems to be a hard worker. And because he deserves to be in the team based on his performances domestically, and now internationally. And because he is a great fielder. And he scored a century on debut as an opener.
2. Opening the innings for Pakistan with an average of over 50. He might not be the most exciting of cricketers, but he sure will be effective.

Last edited:
Wiji said:
1. Yes, because he seems to be a hard worker. And because he deserves to be in the team based on his performances domestically, and now internationally. And because he is a great fielder. And he scored a century on debut as an opener.
2. Opening the innings for Pakistan with an average of over 50. He might not be the most exciting of cricketers, but he sure will be effective.

I do agree that he is a hardworker and a wonderful fielder. I hope I am wrong but just cant see him become a successful player. So hopefully in 5-10 years, he'll prove me wrong!

I dont think anyone made a Don Bradman ( plus i dont rate DB at all, never saw him, play only against Eng...Lara, SRT, Dravid are the legends of the game, not some old overhype man from aus rated by the eng)

What I would like to see for Fawad Alam is that give him a decent run in the team(not with the team) and if he fail, look somewhere else...We have invested so much time into this guy..he has been with the team for about 3 years now...how many chances he got in ODI/Test/T20? First of all he doesn't get picked, and then if he does, he gets to bat at number 7-8 where there are no too many overs left...In test i think he has done a decent job...yes he does not have the correct tech but who cares, As long as he score runs ...

After 5 to 10 years fawad will be the same person ....zero in international and 200 in domestic cricket lolz

in a tv show like bolian kia baat hai saying " consistent chances nahi milay warna main dikhata main kia cheez hoon.....and callers saying aap to umar akmal say bhi baray batsman ban saktay thay".....:p no offense to his fans...

khanlala said:
I dont think anyone made a Don Bradman ( plus i dont rate DB at all, never saw him, play only against Eng...Lara, SRT, Dravid are the legends of the game, not some old overhype man from aus rated by the eng)

What I would like to see for Fawad Alam is that give him a decent run in the team(not with the team) and if he fail, look somewhere else...We have invested so much time into this guy..he has been with the team for about 3 years now...how many chances he got in ODI/Test/T20? First of all he doesn't get picked, and then if he does, he gets to bat at number 7-8 where there are no too many overs left...In test i think he has done a decent job...yes he does not have the correct tech but who cares, As long as he score runs ...
:))) I know this doesn't concern the topic of the thread, but that part really cracked me up.

in a tv show like bolian kia baat hai saying " consistent chances nahi milay warna main dikhata main kia cheez hoon.....and callers saying aap to umar akmal say bhi baray batsman ban saktay thay".....:p no offense to his fans...

chalta hai ;-)

probably with an average of 100 in domestic cricket, and maybe played 1 more international game unfortunately.

5 years?

World cup will be end of him and hopefully we can find a player like Morgan,hussey at no.5

Can never predict 5 years out with the idiots running the show at PCB.

Here's my prediction about the upcoming ODI series in NZ (granted he plays all the ODI matches).

Fawad Alam will be among the top 2 run getters for Pakistan and will be instrumental in getting 3 wins.

And here's a not-so-bold prediction: Any thread about Fawad (plus 50% of those that have absolutely nothing to do with Fawad) will carry at least 3 posts from a certain individual (who shall not be named) hating on him.

Last edited:
i am not a fawad alam fan. i dont like to see him bat, he is too slow. in next few years i would like him to change his approach or dont be in the team whenever i watch the match.

Here's my prediction about the upcoming ODI series in NZ (granted he plays all the ODI matches).

Fawad Alam will be among the top 2 run getters for Pakistan and will be instrumental in getting 3 wins.

And here's a not-so-bold prediction: Any thread about Fawad (plus 50% of those that have absolutely nothing to do with Fawad) will carry at least 3 posts from a certain individual (who shall not be named) hating on him.

:asif

PCB ARE IDIOTS...........He is with the team since 2007........Should have thrown him out of team long ago :malik

:)))
Lol.He has not won us a single match in 3 years and all of sudden he wins 3 for us.Oh God hahahahaha

In one year I see him out of Pakistan cricket team from all formats.

Last edited:
Lol.He has not won us a single match in 3 years and all of sudden he wins 3 for us.Oh God hahahahaha

In one year I see him out of Pakistan cricket team in all formats.

dont you support The Shahzaib?

In one year I see him out of Pakistan cricket team from all formats.

Let me help you with that:

Instrumental: Serving as a means or aid; Significantly contributing towards; not necessarily meaning single-handedly (like once in a blue-moon Razzaq/Afridi type of innings)

If you can't think of one such inning, I don't feel like wasting my time trying to remind you either.

Buzurgon se suna hai ke, Bhains aagay been bajanay ka koi faaeda naheen hota

1) I don't know whether I'm a fan or not. What I do know is that he needs to be played consistantly, so that we can be given the opportunity to be able to judge him as fan-dom worthy or not

1) Yes
2) vital cog in Pakistani middle order (provided he is not shunned aside by the clowns at the PCB)

What a start to that post! :))) I don't care for Braddo meself but he was a good batsman.

used to be a fan, im not worried about how ugly he looks, but im worried about his mental strength, and i think a few players will give him competition. hes had a fair go, but seems to be very tense every time he bats.

5-10 years, in and out of team, average in high 30s in tests, mid 30s in odis.

if he sorts out his head, and has more confidence, and bought his first class form to internationals, low 40s in tests, high 30s in odis, a good number 5/6.

used to be a fan, im not worried about how ugly he looks, but im worried about his mental strength, and i think a few players will give him competition. hes had a fair go, but seems to be very tense every time he bats.

5-10 years, in and out of team, average in high 30s in tests, mid 30s in odis.

if he sorts out his head, and has more confidence, and bought his first class form to internationals, low 40s in tests, high 30s in odis, a good number 5/6.

Agree with this but he is being destroyed. His confidence is being shattered by the likes of Yousuf and PCB who think they actually know what they are talking about.

I've sort of given up on Fawad because I know the public of Pakistan will never support him as he does not look like Afridi or bat like Umar Akmal.

Give him a run of 5 tests like you gave to Umar Amin and Farhat in England then compare.

will not be in the team ,Though i like him but more talented guys will overcome him for ssure.

Reminds me of how Younis Khan was during his early career, everyone hated him because he was too slow and he didn't win matches for pakistan till 2005 or 2006.

Fawad will Inshallah become our main batsman. We need gutsy players like him.

He'll become a mainstay in our lineup.

Especially when Yousuf and Younus retire. Until then he will have to abide his time.

He's rubbish......will probably work in Tests

This is the funniest post I ever seen. Apparently, if your a rubbish player you are made for the purest form of the game and hardest form of the game. :)))

He's rubbish......will probably work in Tests

Gotta love gems like this one from 12 year olds on this forum that believe the T20 format to be the most important format.

Although credit to you son at least you identified that Fawad will work in tests.

IF used and played properly, I see him as the captain in the next 3-5 years.

fawad cant captain, he lacks self belief, he does not seem like the person others would look up to, or the type to impose himself on others. He would fill me with no confidence if i was playing under him.

Unfortunately the seniority culture in Pakistan cricket means that the natural characters of younger players are curbed when they differ from the senior players, and are magnified when they are similar.

I think that's why this seniority mentality and general lack of professionalism is so prevalent in our main team.

i exclude gul from this, he has always seem self assured and not flustered even as a youngster. Probably mentally our most complete player.

He will be the next Michael Bevan for Pakistan, thats only if he bulks up and changes his technique a little bit..

^ lol, bulks up, changes his technique, learns a few boundary shots...sounds easy enough :hanif

Reminds me of how Younis Khan was during his early career, everyone hated him because he was too slow and he didn't win matches for pakistan till 2005 or 2006.

Fawad will Inshallah become our main batsman. We need gutsy players like him.

I'll confess I was one of those critics of YK because he didn't look pretty playing, but grafted his way to decent score.

I was shocked to see him named vice-captain for the India tour as in my mind I didn't think even his place in the team was justified.

He failed in the first test and came back with a bang in the next test and the rest is history.

I'm not making that mistake regarding Fawad now. He needs to be shown the same type of confidence from coach and captain and he will shine.

technique is ridiculously over rated...so many peopl harp on about it..look at ms dhoni...he is top of the pile atm with ugly batting shots...

fawad will be everpresent...we just dont really have anybody else guys to be honest

1.yes
2.read above...he will be around for ages

Last edited:
For all you guys who are hatting on Fawad Alam, stop. This guy is what the Pakistan Team need and why do I say so?
1) He's all about fitness, this guy is an Athlete and won't become a Moyo on the field 10 yrs from now.

2) Like others have said, this guy values his wicket, his strike rate is in the low 70's, relies more on single and doubles, builds partnerships, runs great between the wickets.

3) He is gutsy, plays according to the situation, and LOVES representing Pakistan on the Field. He is a moral booster.

4) He has a hard work ethic. Let me tell you, for all of us that work hard, when our team mates see it, our work ethic becomes contagious, other youngsters are gonna see this and Inshallah will work as hard as him.

5) First class avg of 55, and can develop into a useful part-time bowler.

Dhoni, steve waugh, miandad, chanderpaul, Younis Khan never really had technique, they had TEMPERAMENT, which is way way way more important, and Fawad has that.

Last edited:
For all you guys who are hatting on Fawad Alam, stop. This guy is what the Pakistan Team need and why do I say so?
1) He's all about fitness, this guy is an Athlete and won't become a Moyo on the field 10 yrs from now.

2) Like others have said, this guy values his wicket, his strike rate is in the low 70's, relies more on single and doubles, builds partnerships, runs great between the wickets.

3) He is gutsy, plays according to the situation, and LOVES representing Pakistan on the Field. He is a moral booster.

4) He has a hard work ethic. Let me tell you, for all of us that work hard, when our team mates see it, our work ethic becomes contagious, other youngsters are gonna see this and Inshallah will work as hard as him.

5) First class avg of 55, and can develop into a useful part-time bowler.

Dhoni, steve waugh, miandad, chanderpaul, Younis Khan never really had technique, they had TEMPERAMENT, which is way way way more important, and Fawad has that.

Top post, welcome to PP!!

One more thing to add is that, I personally don't consider Fawad to be a match winning batsmen per se BUT we need him. The Pakistan team has been full of flashy batsmen, from Zaheer Abbas to the flashy Umar Akmal. Now, these guys on their day help you win games but I can't stress the importance of having an anchor on the other end-- a partnership player.

MoYo is in this mould and he is our third most successful (run wise) Test bat. You need a guy like Fawad who can stick around and play a long innings, he's the perfect Test bat IMO.

There are others who combine this street fighter and match winning ability, but they're rare. Younis is one. Miandad is one (though he had superb, superb technique). Inzi of course was a huge fighter, but he looked damn good doing it too.

Thanks bro, I really enjoy reading stuff on PP!

I never really saw much of Miandad batting, but I do know he wore down players with his temperament. Cricket is a mental game just as much as a game of technique, when your batting you need both.

Plus seriously, Pak team need guys who wana work hard man, talent is one thing, but a hard work ethic will get you so much more.

Most definitely agree. nice to see another Canadian here too!

Fawad will grow in prominence when the big guns retire, MoYo's already out of the squad at the moment. He needs to bat higher up than he does right now, 4-5 is ideal for him in ODI's and Tests. I don't think he has enough in him to be a superb Test #3 (Azhar looks the goods at the moment, and Umar always has the talent to do whatever he wants).

Hopefully, in 5 years time he's a solid part of our middle order in ODI's and Tests IF the PCB haven't ruined his career.

he is a good player at least better then Imran Nazir and Faisal Iqbal who play a lot of Cricket for Pakistan without doing any contributions for Pakistani cricket

Gotta love gems like this one from 12 year olds on this forum that believe the T20 format to be the most important format.

Although credit to you son at least you identified that Fawad will work in tests.

rubbishhhhhhhhhhh player in odis, t20's........u calling me 12 im 33 i can still play 4 Pakistan.....as i used 2.....name is Mohammad Hussain former Pak player.....remember this name son

Last edited:
This is the funniest post I ever seen. Apparently, if your a rubbish player you are made for the purest form of the game and hardest form of the game. :)))

worse than asif mujtaba

rubbishhhhhhhhhhh player in odis, t20's........u calling me 12 im 33 i can still play 4 Pakistan.....as i used 2.....name is Mohammad Hussain former Pak player.....remember this name son

you will be far better player than fawad alam :19:

I do remb you.A left arm spiner,bit fatty and a good striker of the ball.how r u doing now?

Last edited:
if hes still playing for Pakistan in 5 years ?

Pakistan would be playing with the likes of IRE , CAN and AFG more regularly then .

Back