Fidel Edwards - The Most exciting bowler in the world?

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
ok he's not technically the greatest, he doesnt always take the most wickets, neither is he necessarily a world beater, but boy can he bowl quick and nasty.

For me, he's the most exciting bowler in the world today.

"Quick and nasty". Summed him up nicely.

His slingy action adds to the unpredictability and excitement. Dont know about 'the' most exciting, but certainly one of them.

Saj said:
ok he's not technically the greatest, he doesnt always take the most wickets, neither is he necessarily a world beater, but boy can he bowl quick and nasty.

ur kidding right? apart from the last spell today he has been playing dead all series

hussein said:
ur kidding right? apart from the last spell today he has been playing dead all series
I dont think you have been watching much of the series then. He has made the England batsmen jump around like jack in the box on placid pitches. He's been clocking around 90mph plus most of the time.

not all that in entertainment, decent but someone like Steyn is pretty aggressive sadly not many Pakistani players i can name

Saj said:

I would like to see him bowl in Johannesburg

Informer said:
That would be interesting. He really has been cranking up the pace on pitches that are basically dead. He would be a great site on some of the quicker pitches around the world. ok he may not be accurate, but it would be great viewing.

Saj said:
I dont think you have been watching much of the series then. He has made the England batsmen jump around like jack in the box on placid pitches. He's been clocking around 90mph plus most of the time.

Jumping around is one thing, but scoring ton after ton is another, 2 trick pony, bouncer/yorker

I see where you are coming from, but if he took a few more wkts then maybe. Its one thing making the batsmen hop around but without the end result, i.e. wkts it looses its magic after a while. I'll put in the same catagory as the South African Nantie Hayward who acquired the nickname Nantie Wayward, fast but loose.

He has been excellent in this series without success.

Needs to start taking more wickets though as even in today;s play he somehow managed to get through without taking a wicket.

Steyn and Morkel for me.

The latter might be very inconsistent but when he gets it right it's brilliant.

The wicket of Hussey the other day was a perfect example, Steyn roughed him up and Morkel blasted out his off stump the very next over.

Most exciting bowler for me is Steyn and that after him Tait. In fact I might even rate Tait higher in terms of the excitement he creates.

hussein said:
What you talking about mate!

I would go as far as saying that the way he has bowled during this series has been as well as any fast bowler has during the last few years!

That last delivery of the day that he just bowled to Pietersen was a real snorter! KP had the fright of his life! The ball nearly took his head off!

Keep it up Fidel!

I like Fidel, he is fast, he is mean, he is kinda stupid. Fun bowler to watch.

But he is not a very good bowler.

Pak_NM said:
Mitchell Johnson says hello...

A fair shout, he was bowling 150 kph + in the current test and took out the top order of SA in first innings.

He's been head and shoulders the most threatening bowler on either side - the only one who looks like FORCING the batsmen out.

Always was a fans of his. Great to see him come back like this...worst of all, in his peak he was on average 5kph quicker!!

The bowler I loved watchin of recent was Lasith Malinga. His action, pace, yorkers, were just great. Fidel's action is pretty similar also. I gues good yorkers are natural with the slingy action

I agree with Saj, there is no bowler currently who is more entertaining to watch than Fiddy. Fast & mean he is.

He does seem to have turned a corner recently, fitness has improved too, what he desperately needs is to be backed up by fielders who can catch more than they drop.

That last ball to Pieterson was tasty.

I think though he smiles a bit too much. I dont like fast bowlers who smile at the opposition batsmen - I prefer to see fast bowlers who snarl or pass a few choice words.

I think Edwards has majorly under achieved as a bowler and needs to gain better results to do his talent justice!

Fidel Edwards if we played for any other country would have been better utilized and given much better bowling conditions to bowl on.

Saj said:
what about them ?

Both of them have their first name starting with "S" and surname with "A". I think that´s what she wanted to say:).

I thought his opening burst today was absolutely superb. Pace and hostility and plenty of chin music for the England batsmen to dance to.

He bowled some fantastic bouncers and really shook up the England top order. I think this lad is getting better with each match.

Saj said:
I thought his opening burst today was absolutely superb. Pace and hostility and plenty of chin music for the England batsmen to dance to.

He bowled some fantastic bouncers and really shook up the England top order. I think this lad is getting better with each match.

His controls a lot better than when he started, his avge is certainly going the right way.

Very good to c a genuine pacer with good control making the batsmen hop around

It would be amazing to see him and Jerome Taylor bowling todether on pitch with some bounce and pace!

I agree with Saj. Fiddy has done very well the past few months but he has been very unlucky during Test series, he had many catches dropped off him.

Today the pitch had some bounce and pace init and he was bowling lethal deliveries! Got two crucial wickets by beating batsmen for pace!

Edwards has looked the best bowler on the whole tour by a mile, good aggresion, pace etc.. hes livened up what has been a drab series!

edwards bowling was fast and furious today. what a nasty quick gem of a true fast bowler.

well he has good agression, but i would like to see more wickets at regularl intervals

but yes when he gets it correct he is a joy to watch...getting it right ...is his problem

i remember he got 5 wickets against pak in 2005 at bridgetown. i was amazed by that performance. HIS CONTROL WAS PERFECT IN THAT MATCH. Sadly he broke down and did not take part in the second innings.

That was his problem fitness and lack of consistency.

Last edited:
Fidel really sending down some pretty sharp deliveries today - credit to this lad who is a fine bowler in my opinion.

Too baby faced to be a fast bowler though :)

Talking about his slingy action, imagine if he were to train at NCA. His action would have remodelled to make it look like McGrath.

This guy is a primary example of why you should not mess with talent, and how too much coaching is not the wya to go when handling players like him

Informer said:

He has been on 2 tours sa and performed poorly on both occassions. Hardly any wickets and plenty of runs.

2003, 2007 (although in 2007 they did not play in JHB). Would have been pawned as well though ....

Andy Zaltman has this to say about Fiddy
Fidel Edwards, heroically but mostly unrewardedly thunderous for most of the series in West Indies, has just blasted out Cook and Pietersen in two balls, and suddenly the match looks far more interesting. Edwards, one of cricket’s most exciting bowlers, deserves more luck and fairer wickets.

Edwards has shown what a class bowler he is today. Hes bowled with great pace today!

Would help him greatly to have some reliable catchers in the team!

But he's come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so.

Muhammad said:
Would help him greatly to have some reliable catchers in the team!

But he's come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so.

Hes just had another 2 dropped catches - off 1 ball!!

There's something about this bowler, he's fast , he's agile, he knows how to bowl, right now he's the best West Indian bowler around.

Da Best said:
There's something about this bowler, he's fast , he's agile, he knows how to bowl, right now he's the best West Indian bowler around.

best west indian bowler around, really setting a high benchmark

how we long for a bowler like this ...just like we used to have in Waqar and a young Shoaib .... now all we have are trundlers and no genuine pacemen ....our attack resembles the Indian one of the 90's ..... i really really really hope Aamer is the genuine pace bowler he is being talked up as

Just seen the Edwards interview after the days play. Talk about baby faced and softly spoken. He was great to watch today and should have had a 5 for.

how we long for a bowler like this ...just like we used to have in Waqar and a young Shoaib .... now all we have are trundlers and no genuine pacemen ....our attack resembles the Indian one of the 90's ..... i really really really hope Aamer is the genuine pace bowler he is being talked up as

:(

I would love to see West Indies playing
Edwards, Roach, J.Taylor together. For this to happen they need to get rid of Sammy from the Test line up. It would really be a nasty bowling line up on a green pitch.

hes a clown.....not the best of bowlers but fun to watch

If W.I could get taylor fit and have a roach back then they would have a pretty lively fast bowling Trio!

In an era when fans of fast bowlers are being starved, Fidel is like a breath of fresh air.

I just love watching him bowl.

Edwards is very quick when in top rhythym. He was around the 90mph mark in the 1st Test. Hope he stays injury free.

His batting is equally exciting, lol what has this world come to. Everyone can bat :))

Bring back the good old tail enders :/

Yeap. Tait is gone. Shoaib is gone.

Edwards and Roach are a fiery couple.

Breath of fresh air indeed.

Yeap. Tait is gone. Shoaib is gone.

Edwards and Roach are a fiery couple.

Breath of fresh air indeed.

Was Tait ever there in the first place? If so, I must have missed it.

I'm glad to see Fidel Edwards getting some credit as a genuine express pace man.

I remember watching him bowl a terrifying spell at Old Trafford a few years ago in which he broke Graham Thorpe's finger. The screen was flashing up the speeds he was bowling, and just about every ball was over 90 mph, most in the mid to high 90's.

Unfortunately, probably due to overcrowded schedules, he has spent most of his career either sidelined or unable to bowl at full pace. That probably explains why he has slipped under a lot of peoples' radars.

BTW Saj bhai, tell us do you get goose bumps watching Praveen Kumar bowl those swinging thunderbolts :22: :))

praveen-kumar-wc.jpg

Last edited:
WI has some really quick bowlers that seem to struggle at taking wickets consistently. They could really have a lethal pace attack if these guys (Roach, Edwards, Taylor, and maybe Rampaul) develop.

But Fidi bowled really well today. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Really nice thread. I love watching Edwards bowl; small, fiery speedster practically skates in and lets it go whang. Lovely to watch

He is one of the few exciting bowlers out there, but certainly not the most.

Steyn right now is the best and most exciting bowler to watch, he can york the batsmen, and throw in nasty bouncers and also doesn't waste the new ball like Fidel does.

He is one of the few exciting bowlers out there, but certainly not the most.

Steyn right now is the best and most exciting bowler to watch, he can york the batsmen, and throw in nasty bouncers and also doesn't waste the new ball like Fidel does.

+1, totally agree.

Edwards is the only one in current WI lineup who gives some glimpse of glorious WI pace attack of past.

19 wickets at average off 20 from 3 test v India is an excellent return. Fidel bowled with a lot of fire and great heart in the series. Also bowled with good responsability also!

WI bowling attack suddenly looks very good with Edwards/Rampaul/Taylor/Bishoo and cough cough Sammy

19 wickets at average off 20 from 3 test v India is an excellent return. Fidel bowled with a lot of fire and great heart in the series. Also bowled with good responsability also!

Before this series, I really thought he was average at best, but you can tell the effect that Ottis Gibson has had on the bowlers since coming in as coach. There's a sense of control and effort in the bowling line-up now and you can expect them to bowl sides out, where before, they were prone to giving up 400+ totals regularly (that 51 a/o vs. england was an anomaly).

But yes, it is indeed exciting to see another 90mph+ bowler in the test scene when the likes of Lee and Malinga have given up. Imagining a line-up of Roach, Taylor and Edwards, with Bishoo to back them up is mouth watering.

He is opening the bowling against Australia now consistently bowling 143+kph. First delivery was 146kph. Amazing.

Great to see him in action again in tonight's CPL match.

Defending 53 from 20 overs can be disheartening, especially when the first over goes for 20 runs.

33 required from 114 balls and Edwards comes steaming in and takes 2 wickets for 6 runs in his over.

What an over to Umar Akmal! Had him out of sorts and ends up with Akmal being dismissed for a duck!

3/7 after 2 overs for Edwards.

Back