Former emir of Jamaat-e-Islami Munawar Hasan passes away [Post #100]

Pakistan Army condemns and felt insulted by statement of Jamaat-e-Islami Chief

I am not a Pakistani and have no clue who 'Daactar Israr' is. Women deserve to be respected regardless of what they are wearing. That was the only thing I wanted to convey.

I understand. Thanks.

I would wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments were it not for the fact that these maulvi types never extended the sort of respect they want for themselves, to those that aren't up to their standards of religiosity. I, and many like me, a few of them on PP, can vouch for that based on our experiences.

Yes, there are exceptions, and yes it is stereotypical to lump them all together, but I don't care anymore. I refuse to be respectful of them or their feelings because they've never returned the favor. So mock them I will, and mock them I must.

I must add that I thoroughly approve of the burqa. If and when it is done right.

Manto wrote about it too in a short story. Two writers belonging to the romantic movement are discussing the burqa, and how it adds a great deal of mystique. They agree that there is something downright erotic about the fleeting glimpse of, say, a pale hand emerging from within the dark folds of the fabric. And oh the whiff of fine perfume when a burqa-clad beauty saunters past one! There is enough left to the imagination that the mind (and I dare say the heart too) visualizes a ravishing beauty beneath the dress. Mir Taqi Mir, father of modern Urdu poetry was a dour physician. Feeling the pulse of a lady in a burqa made him a poet. Picture please the longing that Mir must have felt, and how much the lady's burqa contributed to the mystique.

Some ladies pull the look off perfectly. Their burqas are of an almost silken black material, and there is just the right amount of embroidery on it for a simple yet elegant look. Look hard enough and you will perhaps catch sight of high heels. Their burqas cling to them almost like evening gowns. The high heels, the perfume, the gait, the nail polish all add to the allure.

Because the burqa has its origins in the aristocracy, whose delicate and refined beauties had to be screened from prying plebeian eyes, a lady who can carry it the way it once was, nay, the way it is meant to, instantly takes one back to the romance of those chivalrous, medieval times.

That said, the shuttlecock burqa and the black ones which are poor imitations of the silky, clingy ones, are a different matter altogether.

Last edited:

Taliban are not fat . Never trust a maulvi , whatever size and shape they may come in .

I make an exception for the small, hexagonal, polka-dotted maulvi. How can you not trust him?

I must add that I thoroughly approve of the burqa. If and when it is done right.

Manto wrote about it too in a short story. Two writers belonging to the romantic movement are discussing the burqa, and how it adds a great deal of mystique. They agree that there is something downright erotic about the fleeting glimpse of, say, a pale hand emerging from within the dark folds of the fabric. And oh the whiff of fine perfume when a burqa-clad beauty saunters past one! There is enough left to the imagination that the mind (and I dare say the heart too) visualizes a ravishing beauty beneath the dress. Mir Taqi Mir, father of modern Urdu poetry was a dour physician. Feeling the pulse of a lady in a burqa made him a poet. Picture please the longing that Mir must have felt, and how much the lady's burqa contributed to the mystique.

Some ladies pull the look off perfectly. Their burqas are of an almost silken black material, and there is just the right amount of embroidery on it for a simple yet elegant look. Look hard enough and you will perhaps catch sight of high heels. Their burqas cling to them almost like evening gowns. The high heels, the perfume, the gait, the nail polish all add to the allure.

Because the burqa has its origins in the aristocracy, whose delicate and refined beauties had to be screened from prying plebeian eyes, a lady who can carry it the way it once was, nay, the way it is meant to, instantly takes one back to the romance of those chivalrous, medieval times.

That said, the shuttlecock burqa and the black ones which are poor imitations of the silky, clingy ones, are a different matter altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS5knxBpQKI

You should write a book :asif

One of these days. I can't even get around to finishing the short stories I work on every now and again.

Who can forget the romance of veiled beauties in Chaudhvin Ka Chand and the tragic consequences of mistaken identities behind burqa.

Who can forget the romance of veiled beauties in Chaudhvin Ka Chand and the tragic consequences of mistaken identities behind burqa.

Precisely. There's a difference between Waheeda Rehman in a burqa, and the "masoom bachian" of Laal Masjid and their matron, Abdul Aziz.

Father of Shaheed soldier blasts Munawar (TTP) Hassan and expose the hypocrisy of these jamaatis.
In the end, he says It same jamaat who used to take kids out of madrassahs and recruit them for afghan jihad financially supported by then good americans.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x173khf"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x173khf_we-love-pak-army_lifestyle" target="_blank">We Love Pak Army</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Ali_Abrar" target="_blank">Ali_Abrar</a></i>

I've wondered about this phenomenon. The madrasah kids who come knocking at the door begging for food or donations look emaciated and malnourished. At what stage do they, uh, blossom into these obese maulvis? Fuzla is another one. He could work as Santa Claus once his current gig as wannabe PM runs out.

I must say though that I miss the halwa eating maulvi. There was a time that drooling over halwa was the most sinister thing he could do. Those were the days.

The main difference between the many bearded army officials and the bearded moulanas is the tid

The statement by the j-i chief would be considered treason in most countries, although i'm not sure he's had the opportunity to elaborate on his comments

Some tweets by Bilawal Bhutto. I'm becoming fan of him. (not his party though)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>MH's statement was not a political statement. He insulted our soldiers and praised the enemy. Army had every right to issue that statement.</p>— BilawalBhuttoZardari (@BBhuttoZardari) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBhuttoZardari/statuses/399857080699740160">November 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I will give MH of JI an honorary position in PPP maybe then the courts will finally take notice of his statement.</p>— BilawalBhuttoZardari (@BBhuttoZardari) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBhuttoZardari/statuses/399837282456178688">November 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

Last edited:

Interesting post.

I still fail to find the "allure" of burqa. When I see a burqa clad woman, all I see is repression, either self imposed or by family/society, and in the west, sometimes a form of rebellion. I see identity crisis, confusion and disillusionment. Burqa's may have been the style du jour back in the days of Kings, swords and horses, in today's world, they are nothing but a symbol of tyranny.

Interesting post.

I still fail to find the "allure" of burqa. When I see a burqa clad woman, all I see is repression, either self imposed or by family/society, and in the west, sometimes a form of rebellion. I see identity crisis, confusion and disillusionment. Burqa's may have been the style du jour back in the days of Kings, swords and horses, in today's world, they are nothing but a symbol of tyranny.

My tongue was partly in my cheek when I wrote that ;)

Besides, I was concerned with aesthetics mainly, as were Mir and Manto's romantic characters.

This is where the shuttlecock burqa is so offensive. Not only is it repressive, the aesthetics are atrocious.

Some tweets by Bilawal Bhutto. I'm becoming fan of him. (not his party though)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>MH's statement was not a political statement. He insulted our soldiers and praised the enemy. Army had every right to issue that statement.</p>— BilawalBhuttoZardari (@BBhuttoZardari) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBhuttoZardari/statuses/399857080699740160">November 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I will give MH of JI an honorary position in PPP maybe then the courts will finally take notice of his statement.</p>— BilawalBhuttoZardari (@BBhuttoZardari) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBhuttoZardari/statuses/399837282456178688">November 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

The honorary PPP membership is an innovative idea. The courts will then take suo moto notice of it, there will be petitions aplenty, and probably riots on the streets.

But this is a Jamaatia we are talking about. A maulvi who can and will do as he pleases. The holiest of holy cows. This storm will blow over, everyone will conveniently forget, and normal service will resume shortly.

The messiah emerged out of hiding today... to remove Sherpao's ministers from the KP cabinet.

He then mentioned JI. To condemn Daddy Munawwar, you ask? Perish the thought. To praise the JI minsters' performance.

My tongue was partly in my cheek when I wrote that ;)

Besides, I was concerned with aesthetics mainly, as were Mir and Manto's romantic characters.

This is where the shuttlecock burqa is so offensive. Not only is it repressive, the aesthetics are atrocious.

Interesting the role aesthetics play in a society.

Talking of Manto. Reminds me of his short story "Khushiya". It's about a pimp who visits a prostitute who works for him. As he enters her house, she comes out of the shower with simply a towel around her. He alarmingly asks the prostitute why she didn't warn him from entering the house if she was not properly dressed, to which the prostitute casually remarks, but why, it's only you. But instead of getting aroused or imagining if the prostitute was trying to seduce him, he gets enraged. His whole premise of manhood and his concept of society's patriarchal structure are laid to ruins. He just could not believe how this woman, a prostitute, did not give him enough respect to cover herself, all along totally oblivious to her and his profession. This feeling of being made into a "lesser man" somehow makes him seem feel less virile and the only way he knows how to get his manhood back is to become her customer himself.

It's a telling story when put in context of how men from all walks of life gauge their position in this world and their manhood by the degree to which they can control their women and get them covered. Taliban wanting all women to wear the shuttlecock burqa, Saudi's reluctance to let women drive, our countrymen's constant harassment and degradation of women wanting to be "modern", wanting education, jobs and their equal share. Men's insecurity about their honor and prestige in such instances is directly proportional to the degree which they obsess about their woman's clothes, their freedom, etc. The burqa is a classic example of one such tool still being used by insecure, weak and feeble men to give them the false sense of power.

On the contrary, all powerful men in history were assisted and accompanied by strong powerful women. Men who were confident and secure about their manhood, who didn't the feel the need to subjugate women in order to feel strong and powerful.

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Am saddened to learn of the passing of Ex Amir JI Munawwar Hasan sahab. My prayers and condolences go to his family.</p>— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImranKhanPTI/status/1276590283392790529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="ur" dir="rtl">خدائے بزرگ و برتر، سید منور حسن صاحب کے درجات بلند کرے۔ پاکستانی سیاست، ایک نڈر، وضع دار اور منافقت کو رد کرنے والے رہنما سے محروم ہوگئی۔</p>— Shahid Afridi (@SAfridiOfficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/SAfridiOfficial/status/1276799076894339074?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KARACHI/ISLAMABAD: Former Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) chief Syed Munawar Hasan passed away in a local hospital after a protracted illness on Friday, the party announced in a tweet. He was 78.

Hasan, the fourth emir of JI, led the party from 2009-2014. He had been active in students’ politics since his university days in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

He had initially joined the National Students Federation (NSF) and was elected as its president in 1959, however, it was in 1960 that he preferred to become a member of Islami Jamiat Talaba (IJT), this association led to his becoming a lifelong member of JI-Pakistan in 1967.

President Arif Alvi telephoned the former JI chief’s son, Talha Munawar, and offered his condolences, a statement from the President House said. He prayed for peace of the departed soul and for strength to the late Syed Munawar’s family to bear the loss with fortitude.

Minister for Information and Broadcasting Senator Shibli Faraz also expressed his grief. In a tweet, the minister said the deceased was a “proponent of democracy and a very sophisticated man”. “He became a powerful voice for the rights of Muslims around the world,” said Faraz.

Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly, Shahbaz Sharif said: “Grieved to learn about the passing away of former Amir of Jamat-i-Islami Syed Munawar Hassan. His services to Pakistan and commitment to Islam were unwavering. May Allah rest his soul in peace! My deepest condolences to the bereaved family and the JI workers.”

Opposition lawmaker and Pakistan Peoples Party Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari expressed regret over the late JI Ameer. He prayed for the elevation of his rank in Paradise, the PPP said in a statement.

“Syed Munawar Hasan was one of the dedicated political workers who commanded immense respect from all communities, groups and parties with absolutely divergent political views,” said Mehnaz Rehman, a senior journalist and few of the women who remained active in students politics in the 1960s-1970s.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/678471-former-emir-of-jamaat-e-islami-munawar-hasan-passes-away

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Am saddened to learn of the passing of Ex Amir JI Munawwar Hasan sahab. My prayers and condolences go to his family.</p>— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImranKhanPTI/status/1276590283392790529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This wasn’t well thought out Mig bhai, to merge the newz of death of Munawwar sahib with a thread where he is being attacked.

The partnership between the PTI and JI goes back to their relationship in building KP when they were in government together

Never a fan of islamism but of course if ssr was cried over, munawar was a much more noble man imo

Back