Gm Flare or Kookaburra Kahuna

s.h.a.k

Local Club Regular
Runs
Anyone can help me out. I am stuck between gm flare and a kookaburra kahuna which one would be a beeter option. I am looking at a gm flare 606 or 808 and a kookaburra kahuna 600 or 800. Dont know which one to get. Any one who could help.

I agree with CD bhai...........
For a couple of reasons..............firstly pressing. The kahuna and kook bats in general are very soft pressed and they will crack easily and will last you only about a season. I have had a kahuna RP and it lasted not even one season before it snapped. The flare on the other hand will play the same, but will last and last. The sweetspot on the flare is a bit higher then the kahuna but extends down low on the blade. In my opinion the flare wins.

About the grading, you should go for the 808 if your budget allows. The 606 is grade 3 and the 808 is grade two and has a much better quality handle. For that reason alone I say go for the flare.

I'm not sure there is much difference between handle quality on the 606 and 808.

I'm not sure there is much difference between handle quality on the 606 and 808.

(from the GM website)

808- Fitted with good quality treble spring multi-piece cane handle for outstanding feel, flex and control

606- Fitted with good quality treble spring cane handle

Both say good quality, that's enough detail pour moi.

Prefer the handle on 909s and up though tbh.

yes thats because the 909's and up are ovalled handles. 808 and up are the same quality but 808 is not ovalled. 606 is not as good quality and is not ovalled. Trust me, I have both a 606 and 808.

thanks for for your help guys looks i be getting a GM Flare 808 now

I know i thought it was well cheap but i hope its all right well order it soon, will try to contact them and get few information about it.

I will do and i hope it will be good review and thanks for your help and advice really appreciate it

I would say go for Mapperly sports. I along with CD bought all of our GM bats from there. They have the best selection especially 909s and 808s also their customer service is exceptional.

I agree but a 909 at that price is exceptional. I would still go for the same one

Yes your right i looked at alot of websites and a 909 is well expensive over £180 even the 808 is around £120-150. So the price of £134.99 is a bargain for a 909.

Yes your right i looked at alot of websites and a 909 is well expensive over £180 even the 808 is around £120-150. So the price of £134.99 is a bargain for a 909.

The one on ecb website is 2010 thats why it is cheaper. Ask them if they can provide you with the picture of an actual bat.

Yes, it does I called them and spoke with them and this is what the lady emailed and told me;

Dear Customer,

I am writing in relation to our telephone conversation last week. You requested the size and weight of the Gunn and Moore Flare DXM 909 Cricket Bat – SH. Please be advised the weight is 1242g and length 86cm. It is grade 1.

I hope this helps with your enquiry.

Kind regards

Henry Kinni
Customer Services

While standard length is 96.5 cm

http://www.dragonsports.co.uk/sports-equipment/sport-section-Cricket/cricket-bat-history.htm

Last edited:
I am sure SH stands for Short Handle, i did call them the lady told they will find out and let me know tomorrow or Tuesday about it.

Dropmal used an Icon at the World Cup.

Umar used and always has used the Flare under GM sponsorship.

Do you even watch matches mang? Not everything Gm lists on there with their players is correct.

^

Very difficult to figure out in the heat of a WC match which type of the range players use !

but thats about a 2.9..............light to almost medium weight. but the flare picks up beautifully so it will feel like a 2.8

Ya now I agree with you. Since its the flare, It will have an amazing pickup because of the high sweetspot so it will feel like a 2.8

lol.........why would anybody give a weight in grams :s

but thats about a 2.9..............light to almost medium weight. but the flare picks up beautifully so it will feel like a 2.8

2lb 9oz is light, 2lb 10oz is borderline medium imo.

I spoke to someone from the shop and they emailed saying the weight in grams. And thanks for your help i will definitely buy this bat as it is not very heavy and everything seems good lets just hope it comes out to be good.

1350 gms is really heavy. it is 2 lb 15+. hope you can play with it.

cd the 86 cms is without handle which is normal blade length.

CD, thats 2.98 pounds and not 2 pounds 9 ounces. convert that to ounces. 1350 grams = 47.6198486 ounces. 1 pound = 16 ounces. so thats almost 3 pounds.

CD, thats 2.98 pounds and not 2 pounds 9 ounces. convert that to ounces. 1350 grams = 47.6198486 ounces. 1 pound = 16 ounces. so thats almost 3 pounds.

Arre sahi sahi lool my bad mate, thanks for correcting it fella :)

No i was so forward looking out for the bat and you lot give me the bad news their goes my 135 ponds in the drain my bad days :facepalm:

Just rang them and they said they have all ready shipped it so i should get it tomorrow and i told them about the weight and they said if its not suitable for me leave it unpacked and i would get a refund but have to pay for the postage back thank god a bit happier after speaking to them i try to get pictures of the bat and post it tomorrow is it does come tomorrow.

Mate, I would say go for the Flare. I have one (2010 model) and it's a really good bat.

Also I say go for the Flare over the Kahuna because, one of my friends is sponsored by Kook, and he bought a Kahuna 1000 model, which is top of the range, and it cracked down the centre, a couple of weeks into the season.

I don't know what it is with Kookaburra these days, why do there bats break so easily? Or was it always like this?

I said in other thread I haven't heard great stories about Kookaburra so I won't recommend it and they as time goes I hear negative stories regarding them which pulls me away from them.

I'd say get an English made rather than Indian made so GM would be good because it is English made while Kookaburras are made in India.

Mate, I would say go for the Flare. I have one (2010 model) and it's a really good bat.

Also I say go for the Flare over the Kahuna because, one of my friends is sponsored by Kook, and he bought a Kahuna 1000 model, which is top of the range, and it cracked down the centre, a couple of weeks into the season.

I don't know what it is with Kookaburra these days, why do there bats break so easily? Or was it always like this?

its because their bats are very softly pressed

I noticed that. also. That 505 looks excellent. Not many grains mind but virtually blemish free.

I got the bat few days ago and it looks great and its about medium weight, i am going to send it back Monday for a refund. I also found a Kookaburra Kahuna 1000 for £180, shall i go for the Kookaburra Kahuna 800 or shall i go for GM Flare 808 because i seen a GM Flare 808 too. ANd i think GM Flare 808 is grade 2 willow and the Kahuna 1000 is grade 1+ so what would be a better option out of these two.

how much is 1350 grams is that light weight or heavy bat

1350 grams is super heavy bats over 3lbs.

Light 2lbs 6oz - 2lbs 7oz (1075 - 1105grams)

Medium 2lbs 8oz - 2lbs 10oz (1135 - 1190grams)

Heavy 2lbs 11oz &heavier (1220+ grams)

Last edited:
Kookaburra Kahuna 1000 for 180 Pounds is too good to be true, where did you see it ?

Kookaburra Kahuna 1000 for 180 Pounds is too good to be true, where did you see it ?

Its true one of my mate plays county cricket and he has had an injury and will most of season he bought it for over £250, he said he will give it to me around £170-180. So what do you think should i go for it, its also 2.9lbs so weigh is light but i seen a GM Flare original plus bat and its for £180 which is 2.10lbs. So confused which one is better grade and will be better.

Last edited:
The Kookaburra i seen has 13 grains with heartwood on the outer edge dont know what that means is it worth it shall i go for GM Flare 808 or 909 instead. But is Kookaburra Kahuna 1000 the best range Kahuna so that will be good then wouldnt it better the GM Flare 909 or 808.

Just because it says it's top of the line model, doesn't necessarily mean it is the better bat. Just have a look at one of CD bhai's friends for example, he has the top of the line Blade, but according to CD bhai it's a plank.

But if you have tested the ping, and have picked the bat up and like the feel then I would say go for it. But CD bhai has a Flare 808, so it'd be worth asking him about it.

Hope this helps.:)

Just because it says it's top of the line model, doesn't necessarily mean it is the better bat. Just have a look at one of CD bhai's friends for example, he has the top of the line Blade, but according to CD bhai it's a plank.

But if you have tested the ping, and have picked the bat up and like the feel then I would say go for it. But CD bhai has a Flare 808, so it'd be worth asking him about it.

Hope this helps.:)

Yes your right but it must be good and better then Flare 909 or 808 as this Kahuna is the limited edition.

Not necessarily. That's what I was trying to explain, it may feel good in his hands but you might want to pick it up first, because just because it feels nice for him, doesn't mean it will for you, in fact, maybe the Flare might feel better because the pick up is superb on it.

Their are 2 Kookaburra Kahuna 1000 bats please tell which one looks better. this is the first one.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqQOKosE10HS9mffBNh5S4Skyg~~_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqQOKosE10HS9mffBNh5S4Skyg~~_35.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 711
  • $(KGrHqQOKjwE0+sooBwMBNh5S2Gr-g~~_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqQOKjwE0+sooBwMBNh5S2Gr-g~~_35.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 712
  • $(KGrHqQOKigE12ZK,mdLBNh5TBPsog~~_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqQOKigE12ZK,mdLBNh5TBPsog~~_35.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 706
Back