Greatest ODI individual batting performance you have witnessed?

Rana

Hall of Famer
Runs
In 2003, I traveled with my family to Pakistan for the first ever time since my birth (we migrated a year later). We were to attend a family wedding in Islamabad, and this was around the time when the World Cup in South Africa was about to kick off.

The atmosphere in Pakistan, as you can imagine was filled with the excitement and anticipation that you would expect from a wonderful cricket loving nation. Cricket was the talk of the town at all gatherings and social events.

Around this time, I didn’t particularly have a love or passion for the game. I was selected for my school first team squad more out of natural talent rather than a devoted passion to play the game. I didn’t particularly watch cricket religiously, besides the odd Test matches in the summer on Channel 4 (we didn’t have sky sports subscription). So for me to see this excitement and anticipation for cricket in the environment of Pakistan was definitely a strange, yet wonderful experience. Islamabad in general was a lot calmer and serene in comparison to the hustling and bustling environment of Lahore (my home city), but ‘cricket experts’ were everywhere! Everyone had an opinion on what was to happen, I remember the sense of negativity surrounding the Pakistan team in particular was rampant.

Whilst staying in the ‘shadi ghar’ (house where the ladies side we’re celebrating their daughter’s wedding preparations and in house functions), I remember that my Grandmother’s brother who was a cricket fanatic had created a lounge within a hall room to watch the World Cup kick off game between South Africa (hosts) and West Indies. The wonderful colours of south Asian weddings, the atmosphere of joy and the beauty/class of Islamabad… it was a good time to be alive!

This opening cricket match was to feature a heap of South African cricketers who I didn’t really have a clue about, but also one West Indian cricketer who I did know or heard of, and that was Brian Charles Lara.

To give you more context of how I did know who Lara was: around 1997 or 98, my Dad bought me a kids cricket bat which had stickers of ‘Lara 375’ on it. I was informed that this is the highest score in Test cricket, which obviously sounded mammoth. Also, many kids of that generation were blessed with the experience of playing ‘Brian Lara cricket’ on their PlayStation 1. Long story short, Lara was a big name of cricket for kids who had no real clue about the stars of the game in the 90s/2000s. (So was Tendulkar and Wasim Akram tbf)

So here I was in this lounge in Islamabad, sitting amongst all the uncles and youths who were eager for this World Cup kick off game. Initially bored, I vividly remember West Indies were 2 down very quickly, and the Man himself BC Lara was at the crease. “Hey, I recognise him”.

Without understanding the context of the game, I sat there bored thinking why are these guys batting so slow like they do on those channel 4 Test matches? West Indies lost their 3rd wicket around the 30th over mark with a hundred runs on the board. It didn’t look too good for them, and the hype around the man Lara was not quite rubbing off on me, as the guy just seemed decent.

Suddenly, the pace of the game completely transformed. This man, this guy Lara absolutely started to belt the ball! A rush of blood, a sense of thrill, a feeling of the adrenaline pumping was slowly building amongst the people watching the game and me too. There was a brutality in his elegant strokeplay, only for me to realise that as a schoolboy cricketer I’m 1000 years behind the best players of the world.

Lara Masterfully steered West Indies to 215-5 in 45 overs, whilst he had scored a brilliant 116 off 134 balls. I didn’t really understand that a foundation was laid, but then the monstrosity I witnessed from the bat of Powell and Sarwan (I had no clue about where at the time) made me realise:

“Cricket is the game! Lara is the Man!”

West Indies added 73 runs in their last 5 overs to absolutely set the World Cup on fire! The host nation as they were being hyped to be a strong contender for the tournament were left totally stunned! The South Africa innings had so many twists and turns, and they barely lost by 3 runs in such a thrilling encounter.

The match itself made me fall in love with cricket. It was like a moment of awakening within me. At the time maybe I loved the brutal and thrilling nature of Powell and Sarwan’s thunderous 6th wicket partnership of 73 off 28 balls. However, reflecting back on it now, I realised that the greatest innings I had ever witnessed in a World Cup match was Lara’s 116. His greatness as a batsman and cricket brain/maestro became more and more manifest to me with the passage of time and witnessing his brilliant performances from then on, as Lara was one player to always take seriously. ‘When Lara bats, The World stands still and pays attention’. This was the mantra within my mind going forward.

This is my greatest memory and favourite ever World Cup innings because it has so many emotions and memories attached to it. Let’s hear yours?

Fakhars 194.. Sena country vs a handy attack. Even SA team management was on there feet.

I remember that match. I think West Indies played like 3-4 maidens in the beginning.

After Lara’s arrival the run rate increased by 1 every 10 overs.

Was a nice knock.

In 2003, I traveled with my family to Pakistan for the first ever time since my birth (we migrated a year later). We were to attend a family wedding in Islamabad, and this was around the time when the World Cup in South Africa was about to kick off.

The atmosphere in Pakistan, as you can imagine was filled with the excitement and anticipation that you would expect from a wonderful cricket loving nation. Cricket was the talk of the town at all gatherings and social events.

Around this time, I didn’t particularly have a love or passion for the game. I was selected for my school first team squad more out of natural talent rather than a devoted passion to play the game. I didn’t particularly watch cricket religiously, besides the odd Test matches in the summer on Channel 4 (we didn’t have sky sports subscription). So for me to see this excitement and anticipation for cricket in the environment of Pakistan was definitely a strange, yet wonderful experience. Islamabad in general was a lot calmer and serene in comparison to the hustling and bustling environment of Lahore (my home city), but ‘cricket experts’ were everywhere! Everyone had an opinion on what was to happen, I remember the sense of negativity surrounding the Pakistan team in particular was rampant.

Whilst staying in the ‘shadi ghar’ (house where the ladies side we’re celebrating their daughter’s wedding preparations and in house functions), I remember that my Grandmother’s brother who was a cricket fanatic had created a lounge within a hall room to watch the World Cup kick off game between South Africa (hosts) and West Indies. The wonderful colours of south Asian weddings, the atmosphere of joy and the beauty/class of Islamabad… it was a good time to be alive!

This opening cricket match was to feature a heap of South African cricketers who I didn’t really have a clue about, but also one West Indian cricketer who I did know or heard of, and that was Brian Charles Lara.

To give you more context of how I did know who Lara was: around 1997 or 98, my Dad bought me a kids cricket bat which had stickers of ‘Lara 375’ on it. I was informed that this is the highest score in Test cricket, which obviously sounded mammoth. Also, many kids of that generation were blessed with the experience of playing ‘Brian Lara cricket’ on their PlayStation 1. Long story short, Lara was a big name of cricket for kids who had no real clue about the stars of the game in the 90s/2000s. (So was Tendulkar and Wasim Akram tbf)

So here I was in this lounge in Islamabad, sitting amongst all the uncles and youths who were eager for this World Cup kick off game. Initially bored, I vividly remember West Indies were 2 down very quickly, and the Man himself BC Lara was at the crease. “Hey, I recognise him”.

Without understanding the context of the game, I sat there bored thinking why are these guys batting so slow like they do on those channel 4 Test matches? West Indies lost their 3rd wicket around the 30th over mark with a hundred runs on the board. It didn’t look too good for them, and the hype around the man Lara was not quite rubbing off on me, as the guy just seemed decent.

Suddenly, the pace of the game completely transformed. This man, this guy Lara absolutely started to belt the ball! A rush of blood, a sense of thrill, a feeling of the adrenaline pumping was slowly building amongst the people watching the game and me too. There was a brutality in his elegant strokeplay, only for me to realise that as a schoolboy cricketer I’m 1000 years behind the best players of the world.

Lara Masterfully steered West Indies to 215-5 in 45 overs, whilst he had scored a brilliant 116 off 134 balls. I didn’t really understand that a foundation was laid, but then the monstrosity I witnessed from the bat of Powell and Sarwan (I had no clue about where at the time) made me realise:

West Indies added 73 runs in their last 5 overs to absolutely set the World Cup on fire! The host nation as they were being hyped to be a strong contender for the tournament were left totally stunned! The South Africa innings had so many twists and turns, and they barely lost by 3 runs in such a thrilling encounter.

The match itself made me fall in love with cricket. It was like a moment of awakening within me. At the time maybe I loved the brutal and thrilling nature of Powell and Sarwan’s thunderous 6th wicket partnership of 73 off 28 balls. However, reflecting back on it now, I realised that the greatest innings I had ever witnessed in a World Cup match was Lara’s 116. His greatness as a batsman and cricket brain/maestro became more and more manifest to me with the passage of time and witnessing his brilliant performances from then on, as Lara was one player to always take seriously. ‘When Lara bats, The World stands still and pays attention’. This was the mantra within my mind going forward.

This is my greatest memory and favourite ever World Cup innings because it has so many emotions and memories attached to it. Let’s hear yours?

Firstly, Awesome on school team selection. Born for cricket Genes ❤️❤️. But unlike you I was basically in pampers in 2003 so I missed lara's innings. Tbh, I've never seen lara play like at all, I just know he's a goat but I have no clue as to anything else lol.

Secondly the greatest one I've witnesses is 2019 Ben Stokes knock, it had an element of luck to it yes but it was a great knock for the eng vs NZ final. And yes ik Small sample size but I haven't been around long in this world.

2011 I started watching but more or less I just watched cause my family watched, I didn't understand the game at all.

2015 was my first cup and I thought it was boring.

2017-2023 I've been following everything very closely though. So small sample Size but Ben Stokes innings for me.

Really? > Stokes? 💀
Cricket is a game of emotion. There may technically be better knocks than Laras but to the OP it was that knock that sparked his life long love of cricket

Stokes played a top tier knock but the ending ( not his fault) left a sour note. I

In comparison Rizwans knock left us all on cloud 9. He was in the lions den, we were down and out, we came back, Indians were even screaming Pakistan jeetay ga.

Ai hai what a day it was.

It’s an emotional thread for me so I will refrain from Rizwan bashing.

Bro you're all good lol, I saw everyone pinging you like children 😂😂, after the match lol.

I read all your analytical posts after a series and their always 🔥 and spot on.

Some of your claims are biased and a bit harsh, but you wake people to reality where most posters live on cloud 9.

Rizzu is a good bat imo, but it gets extremely annoying when posters start attacking me left and right because I don't think he is > Quinton or butler and act as if butler hasn't smocked 45 ball 100's for fun against quality teams like Australia and Pakistan post CT win.

Or claim his innings is the greatest wc innings of all time.

You don't need to worry about people attacking you lol, if someone says rizzu played the greatest world cup innings of all time in a match that isn't even a semi final or final, then you have every right to wake people up.

What you're doing is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Problem is theirs no balance. People either overlove or overhate. Rizzu is no different, he's either overloved to be gilchrist, or overhated to be the hitler lol.

Cricket is a game of emotion. There may technically be better knocks than Laras but to the OP it was that knock that sparked his life long love of cricket

Stokes played a top tier knock but the ending ( not his fault) left a sour note. I

In comparison Rizwans knock left us all on cloud 9. He was in the lions den, we were down and out, we came back, Indians were even screaming Pakistan jeetay ga.

Ai hai what a day it was.

Leaving on cloud 9 is not a good thing by any means. You'll be disappointed once reality hits.

Hopefully it doesn't hit and rizzu stays performing but if he doesn't a riot will start.

Even as a pakistani, his performance isn't the greatest lol.

It's a good win, great performance in an early tournament opener.

Stokes' performance is a clutch performance against the 2nd best team of the 2019 tournament in an all important pressure cooker of a situation.

It's extremely biased to claim rizzu who played a good innings is the greatest innings of all time in WC history and its a massive massive disrespect to other legends of the game like lara.

Respect rizzu, Defend him if their is oberhate but thay shouldn't be compromised by disrespecting other legends of the game

Saeed Anwar 194 vs India (Pepsi Cup in Chennai)
Ricky Ponting 140 vs India (WC 2003 Final)
Fakhar Zaman 114 vs India (CT17 Final)

Very hard to pick one from so many, but funnily enough my favourite ODI centuries are pretty much vs India.

Saeed Anwar 194 vs India (Pepsi Cup in Chennai)
Ricky Ponting 140 vs India (WC 2003 Final)
Fakhar Zaman 114 vs India (CT17 Final)

Very hard to pick one from so many, but funnily enough my favourite ODI centuries are pretty much vs India.
All goated innings

Tendulkar’s 98 vs Pakistan, Centurion, South Africa - 2003 World Cup

The stage
The bowling
The pressure
The swagger
The devastation
The generational impact
Mic drop moment in cricket history

The drop catch from Razzaq :cry:

The stage
The bowling
The pressure
The swagger
The devastation
The generational impact
Great innings

Reflecting back on it, this innings ended Pakistan’s era of cricket superiority over India, and what followed was 2 decades of India dominating Pakistan more often than not

No first inning knock could ever qualify for this honour unless or until it’s part of a massive recovery effort

Symonds 140 vs Pakistan
Dhoni’s century vs Pakistan when Bharat were like 29/5 at one point

Those are some first inning knocks worthy of being discussed here

Great innings

Reflecting back on it, this innings ended Pakistan’s era of cricket superiority over India, and what followed was 2 decades of India dominating Pakistan more often than not

Yup, that one knock to me (along with Sydney 241) defines Tendulkar’s 24 year cricketing legacy

He came out with a mission to take apart the Pakistani bowling.

5-10 overs into the inning, Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar were taken apart like we never saw before.

If only he had Kohli’s fitness, the body gave up too soon. That man could bat!

Viv’s 189*

I’d heard of the legend, I watched the whole game live with my cousins. Something else

That was typical Razzi - he was such a lazy in that World Cup. He was at his peak and really let us down all tournament bowling 82mph floaters and fielding as if he was tucked away in bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving on cloud 9 is not a good thing by any means. You'll be disappointed once reality hits.

Hopefully it doesn't hit and rizzu stays performing but if he doesn't a riot will start.

Even as a pakistani, his performance isn't the greatest lol.

It's a good win, great performance in an early tournament opener.

Stokes' performance is a clutch performance against the 2nd best team of the 2019 tournament in an all important pressure cooker of a situation.

It's extremely biased to claim rizzu who played a good innings is the greatest innings of all time in WC history and its a massive massive disrespect to other legends of the game like lara.

Respect rizzu, Defend him if their is oberhate but thay shouldn't be compromised by disrespecting other legends of the game
There is obviously bias involved. Everyone is biased to some extent. There is no objective measure for 'greatest innings you have witnessed'.

It would only be disrespectful if I denigrated other players and tried to diminish their achievements to make my point.

Sachin 97 vs Pakistan in ICC world Cup 2003 .
Pakistani bowling attack were world class . This game was reason why I'm fall in love with cricket . The way Sachin destroyed Pakistani attack was Amazing to watch. I clearly remembered those day we don't have much Facilities to watch the game in my village .
So we had one Black and white tv in my village where 100 people's were watching game together. Suddenly when India batting light gone ( normal things those days) then we bring battery of Tractor to generate power .I still remembered that golden day.

Steve Waugh 120 Leeds
Bilaterals : Herchelle Gibbs 175 Johannesburg
End of thread 😎

If you think that innings was great, watch Lara knocking South Africa out of the 1996 WC quarter final with a century. South Africa was unbeaten until that point.

That 2003 knock was a real dejavu moment.

It was an incredible rescue job but like you mentioned that demolition job from Powell Sarwan gave that knock more significance. Without them going berserk in the end WI would end up at a modest 250 at best which that fragile declining SA batting would have chased down. I mean they were literally bamboozled with that firework still Klusner Boucher Boje had already pulled it off.

There is obviously bias involved. Everyone is biased to some extent. There is no objective measure for 'greatest innings you have witnessed'.

It would only be disrespectful if I denigrated other players and tried to diminish their achievements to make my point.
Yh everyone is biased, but rizwan innings is such an insane claim.

Almost as if you were trolling 👀

One other brutal innings - the Axe Man himself Ijaz Ahmed’s destruction of India 139 off 84 balls in 1997 !

Sachin Tendulkar's inning of 98 vs Pak at Centurian (2003 WC) was held as greatest ODI knock of all time by all world pandits...... Next day London Guardian Headline "Tendulkar's art of batting beyond all boundaries)

Kapil Dev inning of 175 vs Zim at Trentbridge Wells..... India was 17/5 when Kapil Dev came to play and rest is history.... most tragic thing of this magnificient inning is it was not recorded because there was a BBC strike on that day.

For me nothing can beat Kapil 175 although nobody witnessed other than sparse crowd st tunbridgewells. Another one is Viv Richard's 189 who added 106 with holding for 10th wicket.

Sachin 98 was good. But that desert storm innings by Sachin is something I watched live. India at one point didn't look like qualifying. Asking rate was steep even to lose gracefully. But he almost pulled off a win with a 143. It is called desert storm because natch was halted half way through due to severe desert storm
When the game resumed Sachin storm started. Back to back centuries. One to help India qualify for final. Another one to win the final.

Sachin 98 was good. But that desert storm innings by Sachin is something I watched live. India at one point didn't look like qualifying. Asking rate was steep even to lose gracefully. But he almost pulled off a win with a 143. It is called desert storm because natch was halted half way through due to severe desert storm
When the game resumed Sachin storm started. Back to back centuries. One to help India qualify for final. Another one to win the final.

I don’t think kids , especially a lot of Pakistani fans on this forum realise how good that late 1990s Tendulkar was and how much ahead of time he was as a white ball batsman.

Honestly the shots, the sixes Tendulkar smashed during those two knocks puts to shame a lot of the top modern era batsmen. Tendulkar turned into a maverick those two nights.

Miandad 86 Sharjah final
Saeed Anwar 194
Inzi vs NZ 92 semi final
Steve Waugh against SA in the 99 World Cup
Ponting century in 2003 final

Just checked the scorecard

We were 137/5 chasing 287

Razaq 109 not out off 72 balls in 2010
It was absolutely insane. Fans had pretty much given up, it was looking so dire. Even when Razzaq was doing well the belief is was it would just be an honourable loss, he somehow managed to pull it off even batting with the tail. Absolute insane innings.

Most of the innings mentioned above are great but one of my favorite knocks ever that is not discussed enough isr Aravinda's counter attacking 60 odd in WC semi 96 when SRL were reduced to 2 for 1.
Never seen a more confident innings at such a big stage. Aravinda seemed possessed that day.

I don’t think kids , especially a lot of Pakistani fans on this forum realise how good that late 1990s Tendulkar was and how much ahead of time he was as a white ball batsman.

Honestly the shots, the sixes Tendulkar smashed during those two knocks puts to shame a lot of the top modern era batsmen. Tendulkar turned into a maverick those two nights.
My brother gave up watching. But I didn't give up. We have sachin.Gradually things turned around. His partner was Laxman lol imagine him.playing ODI. So he had to take care of scoring for Laxman as well. First time I saw Viv like aura in him. It was exhilarating stuff. Those two 100s will love in my forever. Same year he produced innings like 125 at bicentennial match, Then that famous duel with Warne at chennai. He destroyed his famous round the wicket tactics by playing against the turn.

Kolhi 182 in the 2012 asia cup has to be up there
Really thought we had enough on the board, that innings was in equal amounts spectacular as it was heartbreaking

Lots of people saying Sachin 2003 vs Pak in the world cup because it was against Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar and co, GOAT attack this and that. But were Wasim and Waqar not well past their prime? Asking out of genuine curiosity as I was too young to watch but I heard post 200 the two Ws were not as effective?

From what I have personally watched, the ones that take the cake are: AbdulRazzaq 109 in an unbelievable chase vs SA in 2010, AB's 149/44, Kevin O' Brian vs England in 2011 world cup, Ben Stokes in 2019 world cup final, Fakhar 194

One and only Abdul Razaq's 109* against South Africa. A class apart. Tell me any better inning than this

Lots of people saying Sachin 2003 vs Pak in the world cup because it was against Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar and co, GOAT attack this and that. But were Wasim and Waqar not well past their prime? Asking out of genuine curiosity as I was too young to watch but I heard post 200 the two Ws were not as effective?
if that was the case then PCB never selected them......watch highlights again both bowlers at their best, waqar picked up couple of wickets... but still the day belongs to Tendulkar who played every shorts from cricketing manual perfectly... also listen to What Rameez said about Tendulkar in commentary

Not witnessed but Kapil Dev's 175* from 17/5 remains the greatest hands down. It led to tectonic shift in India wrt cricket interest and changed the cricketing landscape.

The stage
The bowling
The pressure
The swagger
The devastation
The generational impact
Tendulkar's successive centuries in Sharjah were superior knocks. But that innings was special because it drew the curtains on Waqar and Wasim's careers, and nearly sunset-ed Akhtar too.

not past their prime, but not at their prime. but they were still the best bowlers in pakistan. akram was still devious, akhtar was still ringing the 90mph bell, but i was not convinced about waqar. he felt more of a passenger, and if memory serves correct, he was the captain.

One of my personal favorite, i won't say best. But thoroughly enjoyed innings was Adam Gilchrist's free style hitting in 2007 final with golf ball inside his glove. He literally played golf in that innings.

There’s nothing like an inning you cannot afford to fail. Imagine e pressure that is on Babar Azam today and tell me honestly if you could compare any knock with his if he happens to hit an 80 ball century while chasing tonight? That knock if it happens would automatically become the best knock of the tournament because nobody among the 22 players tonight would be under greater pressure of scoring big tonight than Babar Azam. He’s followed by Kohli and Sharma but the pressure will be relatively lesser on them because they have hit big knocks in such encounters in the past.

There’s nothing like an inning you cannot afford to fail. Imagine e pressure that is on Babar Azam today and tell me honestly if you could compare any knock with his if he happens to hit an 80 ball century while chasing tonight? That knock if it happens would automatically become the best knock of the tournament because nobody among the 22 players tonight would be under greater pressure of scoring big tonight than Babar Azam. He’s followed by Kohli and Sharma but the pressure will be relatively lesser on them because they have hit big knocks in such encounters in the past.

Pressure on Bumrah also

If Sachin had the support of current indian bowling attack in odi, he would have murdered even more top attacks. Bowling aupport matters alot as well for batsmen to play their part. People neglecting this need to factor it in.

Although 2003 india had a pretty good attack in all honesty.

Sachin technically wasn't in his prime post 2003 ish.

That's why I can never rate kohli above Sachin even in odi. Kohli has India's best attack ever to support him. Maybe if kohli guides india to a WC win whilst playing a proper knock in semis and finals we can then talk about putting him close to Sachin's level.

The best innings I have seen (don’t care if these were match winning or came in big matches, just the quality of batsmanship and how iconic they were)

Tendulkar 175 vs aus in a losing cause

Abdul Razzaq 109 vs SA

Gibbs 175 vs Aus

Kohli 133 vs SL

Fakhar Zaman 100 vs Ind

Andrew Symonds 100 odd vs Ind at 120+ str rate

If Sachin had the support of current indian bowling attack in odi, he would have murdered even more top attacks. Bowling aupport matters alot as well for batsmen to play their part. People neglecting this need to factor it in.

Although 2003 india had a pretty good attack in all honesty.

Sachin technically wasn't in his prime post 2003 ish.

That's why I can never rate kohli above Sachin even in odi. Kohli has India's best attack ever to support him. Maybe if kohli guides india to a WC win whilst playing a proper knock in semis and finals we can then talk about putting him close to Sachin's level.
When did Sachin win a world cup with good knocks in semifinal and finals?

Greatest innings I have ever witnessed would have to be ijaz ahmed brutal knock 139 not out against India in 1997.
Terrific knock. What a pasting.

When did Sachin win a world cup with good knocks in semifinal and finals?
2011 semi final vs pak albeit dropped 3 times.

2003 80 plus knock vs Kenya. Not his fault Kenya made it to semis.

Tendulkar 1996 65 runs semi final vs Lanka

2011 semi final vs pak albeit dropped 3 times.

2003 80 plus knock vs Kenya. Not his fault Kenya made it to semis.

Tendulkar 1996 65 runs semi final vs Lanka
Dropped 4 times in that 83 knock and still couldn’t get India into a good position, I definitely don’t count it as a good knock

Kenya is a minnow, Kohli has 98 against ban in ct semis too

Yes 65 runs knock was good but we lost the match

Haven't seen many live matches so the best one was probably Ajit Agarkar's century at Lords.:ROFLMAO:

But on television, has to be Razzaq's knock against South Africa to win the game by one wicket.

Last edited:
Haven't seen many live matches to the best one was probably Ajit Agarkar's century in Lords.:ROFLMAO:

But on television, has to be Razzaq's knock against South Africa to win the game by one wicket.
Oh man, That knock was some power-hitting by Razzaq. Won us that game single-handedly.

Dropped 4 times in that 83 knock and still couldn’t get India into a good position, I definitely don’t count it as a good knock

Kenya is a minnow, Kohli has 98 against ban in ct semis too

Yes 65 runs knock was good but we lost the match
So? He still had to score the runs. Since 2013 what has kohli done in semis or finals odi wc ans wtc?

Steve Waugh 120 Leeds
Bilaterals : Herchelle Gibbs 175 Johannesburg
End of thread 😎
I so wish I had the cricket knowledge that I have now back then in 99

ODI Cricket in this match was being played at its peak. The beauty and complexity of Test cricket was being translated into a 50 over format between two heavyweight white ball sides.

Probably the greatest story ever told in ODI cricket was this match

I so wish I had the cricket knowledge that I have now back then in 99

ODI Cricket in this match was being played at its peak. The beauty and complexity of Test cricket was being translated into a 50 over format between two heavyweight white ball sides.

Probably the greatest story ever told in ODI cricket was this match
Yes those two back to back clashes were more like heavyweight boxing showdown between Ali & Fraziar. Or an attitude era wrestlemania main event between Austin & Rock at their absolute prime(They had one on that year just few weeks earlier if you remember). That was the true clash of titans. As much as I love, admire & cherish Ind/Pak rivalry I just can't respect it as much as that rivalry. Because not only the intensity was high, but the quality was also skyrocketed. Their matches specially between 95-07 are the ones which lifted the overall prestige of odi cricket so high. I don't think any other pair of skippers had as much of tension & silent psychological warfare as Waugh & Cronije had between them. They were so similar yet so polar opposite. Words aren't good enough to describe if you weren't there at the time to witness.

On This Day in 2010, Abdul Razzaq played an incredible innings against South Africa in the second ODI to lead Pakistan to a thrilling one-wicket win in Abu Dhabi

One of cricket's epics or equivalent of a miracle .Australia were dead and buried before Maxwell resurrected them ,creating the sensation of a divine intervention.Cricketing glory transcended zones unprecedented,with close to the most sensational turnabout ever.Full Marks to Afghanistan for al but pulling of a famous win,or a series of successive wins.Morally,they deserve to qualify for the semi-finals.A dropped catch off Glen Maxwell robbed them of untold glory.The manner Maxwell batted was as though a win was a walk in the park or a foregone conclusion.It was manifestation of cricket is played so much in the mind.

Not technically or aesthetically but in terms of turning complexion at the very top.

Maxwell's 201* is definitely up there for me.

These are my favorite ODI innings (not necessarily in this order):

1) Gibbs's 175
2) Maxwell's 201
3) Ashraful's 101 (against Ponting's ATG Australia)
4) Saeed Anwar's 194
5) Rohit's 264
6) Guptill's 237
7) Stokes's innings at 2019 WC final
8) Tendulkar's 200
9) Jayasuriya's 189
10) Charles Coventry's 194
11) Kohli's 183
12) Fakhar's 193
13) Fakhar's 126.

If I have to pick one greatest, I pick Gibbs's 175.

1) Gibbs's 175
2) Maxwell's 201
4) Saeed Anwar's 194
5) Rohit's 264
6) Guptill's 237
8) Tendulkar's 200
9) Jayasuriya's 189
11) Kohli's 183
12) Fakhar's 193
13) Fakhar's 126.

Tendulkars 200 was iconic cause he was the first one to cross that benchmark and it was the legendary spot. Rohits 264 was a joke and fans were not happy with how the playing conditions had become soo ridiculous that he easily got that score.

I remembered Coventrys 194 on cricinfo. Fakhar's 193 was brutal hitting and could had been the best innings aswell had we dont that game.

1) Gibbs's 175
2) Maxwell's 201
4) Saeed Anwar's 194
5) Rohit's 264
6) Guptill's 237
8) Tendulkar's 200
9) Jayasuriya's 189
11) Kohli's 183
12) Fakhar's 193
13) Fakhar's 126.

Kohli's coming of age innings is also memorable 133* in 86 balls as that innings needed to keep India in the hunt for final.

1) Gibbs's 175
2) Maxwell's 201
4) Saeed Anwar's 194
5) Rohit's 264
6) Guptill's 237
8) Tendulkar's 200
9) Jayasuriya's 189
11) Kohli's 183
12) Fakhar's 193
13) Fakhar's 126.

Forgot to add AB De Villiers's 149 (from 44 balls).

Back