Gulraiz Sadaf: Solution to the wicket keeping problem in Tests?

azfar wali

First Class Player
Runs
Kamran Akmal seems to be a fine keeper for the limited over format however his keeping can be costly in the test arena, And Sarfaraz ahmed didn't seem that much better than Kamran in the matches he played. Gulraiz Sadaf on the other hand has been great with the gloves in the Rbs t20 for the Multan tigers and Also have been fine with the gloves in the current domestic ODI tournament for Bacloshictan Bear. He is decent with the bat as well scored 53 of 73 balls coming in when his side was 8 for 2.

So for the people who have been following Pakistan domestic cricket(Rbs T20 and Odi tournament) does he seem like a good choice to be the keeper in test cricket to you as well? Or would you Continue with Kamran or Ahmed as the keeper?

HIS PROFILE
http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/279506.html

When did we give Ahmed a good run? Let alone continuing with him.

Not that I'm not in favor of this new keeper you've mentioned, I just want Ahmed to be given a longer run. If he doesn't prove himself, then, of course, new keepers can be tried.

I have been watching his cricket for quite long and have been quite impressed with him.i think we definitely need to give a chance to this young man , but I am afraid karachi lobby won't let it happen.
Sarfraz's wicketkeeping is slightly better than akmal but his batting is way poorer than akmal.

looks a good prospect, one to watch out for in the future.

He has not developed yet as a keeper to be put into a test match situation right now. He has potential and could be our solutions 3-4 years down the road. We need to let him develop properly before thrusting him onto the ultimate stage.

I am not suggesting that we persist with Kamran Akmal - I just don't want to see youngsters being thrown into the test format especially at such a crucial position. Gulraiz isn't really blowing everyone away that would make one suggest that he deserves a call up even if he is young.

well if compare his profile with kami. he has same first class average as kami!!

Pcb should groom him!!

asif9138 said:
well if compare his profile with kami. he has same first class average as kami!!

Pcb should groom him!!

This doesn't say much.

Look at how Sarfraz Ahmed bats and he has an average of 43 in first class cricket.

You can never have too many good prospects. With Kami becoming less reliable with each series, we need to give others a chance. Hopefully Sarfraz will be able to grasp the chances given to him but going by what I've seen he might not las too long. Gulraiz is solid behind the stumps. Let's see if he can build on from here.

I have to agree with Farhan.

Sarfraz Ahmed needs to be given a proper run in the team before we go looking at anyone else.

It's very simple really. Kamran shouldn't play in the test series against Ausralia or England later in the year.

His shoddy keeping meant that Pakistan had to chase a target in excess of 150 when it should have been less than a 100. He played the defining role in us not winning the second test against Australia.

Not to mention he's a conceited blabber mouth. He needs to suffer the consequences of both his poor form and his verbal diarrhea.

As for Gulraiz he has a lot of improving to do. But luckily he is only 20 years old and has time on his side.

Last edited:
Gulraiz sadaf is excellent behind the stumps!! relly a one to watch out for!!! relly impressed with this guy!!!

Farhan! said:

Not that I'm not in favor of this new keeper you've mentioned, I just want Ahmed to be given a longer run. If he doesn't prove himself, then, of course, new keepers can be tried.

I know ahmed hasn't been given a proper chance yet but his batting was less than impressive he basically looked like a tailender but it would be wrong to judge him by few games so maybe we could do some kind of rotation policy to see who is the best chocie for us :inti

Golden arm said:
I have been watching his cricket for quite long and have been quite impressed with him.i think we definitely need to give a chance to this young man , but I am afraid karachi lobby won't let it happen.
Sarfraz's wicketkeeping is slightly better than akmal but his batting is way poorer than akmal.

Dude Kamran isn't from Karachi but yet he is still gotten numerous chances so i don't think there is really a thing as a Karachi lobby or a lahore lobby which influences selections.

kingusama92 said:
This doesn't say much.

Look at how Sarfraz Ahmed bats and he has an average of 43 in first class cricket.
Do you know what was Kamran akmal's test average after 10 test matches it was hovering under 20 i am not saying Sarfraz in the 2nd coming of Gilly but atleast give him 5 test matches before we pass a judgement.

Xoib said:
Do you know what was Kamran akmal's test average after 10 test matches it was hovering under 20 i am not saying Sarfraz in the 2nd coming of Gilly but atleast give him 5 test matches before we pass a judgement.

I am not calling him a lost cause - I am just saying that batting averages mean almost nothing when they come from our first class system.

My personal opinion on Sarfraz is that he will never be good enough to be our keeper. Having said that I agree he deserves his chance to prove himself.

Gulraiz doesn't need to be thrust onto the international scene right now. He should be properly groomed before moved up and this will allow him to prove his consistency in domestic cricket.

kingusama92 said:
I am not calling him a lost cause - I am just saying that batting averages mean almost nothing when they come from our first class system.

My personal opinion on Sarfraz is that he will never be good enough to be our keeper. Having said that I agree he deserves his chance to prove himself.

Gulraiz doesn't need to be thrust onto the international scene right now. He should be properly groomed before moved up and this will allow him to prove his consistency in domestic cricket.
Is Akmal good enough? its not like the bar set for Sarfraz is anything special

Xoib said:
Is Akmal good enough? its not like the bar set for Sarfraz is anything special

Akmal is a better option then Sarfraz.

You are right the bar hasn't been set too high but its sad that Sarfraz isn't even meeting those levels yet.

Sarfraz has even started dropping catches now. So the claim that he can catch has sort of gone down the drain as well. To top all of this he can't bat from what we have seen. Its fine to fail but the way he's been getting out shows mediocrity with the bat.

Although like any other player - he deserves his chance to prove me and his critics wrong.

Gulraiz Sadaf (with the bat) will be better than Kami and Sarfraz both because hes got an excellent footwork and better technique than both but we have to groom him first ,I think he should be a permanent member of A side for next couple of years. In the mean time let Kami play ODIs and T20s and Sarfraz play Tests.

Gulraiz Sadaf
PakistanFull name Gulraiz Sadaf

Born December 27, 1989, Burewala, Punjab

Current age 20 years 119 days

Major teams Baluchistan, Multan, Multan Tigers

Batting style Right-hand bat

Fielding position Wicketkeeper

Batting and fielding averages Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
First-class 39 66 4 1620 118* 26.12 1 10 109 3
List A 26 24 1 490 103 21.30 653 75.03 1 2 46 4 29 2
Twenty20 7 6 1 51 20 10.20 44 115.90 0 0 9 0 7 3

Kamran Akmal
PakistanFull name Kamran Akmal

Born January 13, 1982, Lahore, Punjab

Current age 28 years 102 days

Major teams Pakistan, Asia XI, Lahore, National Bank of Pakistan, Rajasthan Royals

Batting style Right-hand bat

Fielding position Wicketkeeper

Relation Brother - Adnan Akmal, Brother - Umar Akmal

Batting and fielding averages Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
Tests 48 82 6 2550 158* 33.55 4011 63.57 6 12 357 13 159 22
ODIs 115 100 13 2288 124 26.29 2697 84.83 5 4 266 24 116 20
T20Is 28 23 3 451 64 22.55 358 125.97 0 3 40 17 13 19
First-class 148 230 27 6585 174 32.43 12 31 492 43
List A 208 179 19 4443 133 27.76 9 13 237 51
Twenty20 58 49 9 1063 68* 26.57 787 135.06 0 6 111 32 35 34

kamran domestic is way better than Gulraiz Sadaf

cmon u cant jus draft in a 20y o .he has to be groomed properly and do something special in domestic even to get ahead of sarfaraz.

Last edited:
Juggernaut said:
I have to agree with Farhan.

Sarfraz Ahmed needs to be given a proper run in the team before we go looking at anyone else.

It's very simple really. Kamran shouldn't play in the test series against Ausralia or England later in the year.

His shoddy keeping meant that Pakistan had to chase a target in excess of 150 when it should have been less than a 100. He played the defining role in us not winning the second test against Australia.

Not to mention he's a conceited blabber mouth. He needs to suffer the consequences of both his poor form and his verbal diarrhea.

As for Gulraiz he has a lot of improving to do. But luckily he is only 20 years old and has time on his side.
GULRAIZ is much better than sarfraz in keeping, while batting of sarfraz is over rated and has been exposed in international matches. I think he has been overhyped by Karachi Lobby just to counter Kamran, its nothing else.

First of all a few test matches are not enough to say that a player is a poor batsman.

Ofcourse if you're Khurram Manzoor that's another thing.

Sarfraz looks a little loose and uncoordinated at the crease. But he needs to be given a run to atleast get some batting time out in the middle, get his confidence up and get into some kind of batting rythm.

Actually they do. More often than not a good player will stand out in any first class system even the Pakistani one.

Stat's are a starting point. They help you identify potential top performers. Then you actually go see the players play in person. That's when you'll weed out the FTB's and Domestic bullies from true international talent of the future.

All this 'Stat's in Pakistan count for nothing' is BS. More often then not they do.

Sarfraz Ahmed is never going to bat like Kamran Akmal. It's just not going to happen.

What Pakistan needs to decide is whether or not it's worth sticking Akmal at 6 and letting him concentrate on his batting. I personally think it might be a good decision in the longer format; he obviously has the ability with the bat, I think it's his lack of confidence from behind the stumps that's keeping him down.

I don't think Kamran is good enough to play as a batsman alone in the longest format of the game. His ability is vastly over rated.

Last edited:
Juggernaut said:
I don't think Kamran is good enough to play as a batsman alone in the longest format of the game. His ability is vastly over rated.
If Kamran Akmal is seriously one of the Top Four Test-class middle order batsmen in our country.... we really are in serious trouble!

ShehryarK said:
If Kamran Akmal is seriously one of the Top Four Test-class middle order batsmen in our country.... we really are in serious trouble!
this.

Kamran Akmal should play as a keeper-batsman in all formats.
Sarfraz is a slightly better keeper but can't bat to save his life (atleast not on the international circuit).

Sarfraz should be Kamran's backup for Tests, and somebody from the domestic circuit who can keep wickets AND who can actually play at around a run a ball, unlike Sarfraz, should be Kamran's backup in ODIs and T20s.

I am pretty sure that this is the wicketkeeping lad Pakistan have been looking for... But he seems to be consistently ignored...

Its not good to change a WK every series, it will not do the team any good. What is required is two good keepers keeping in view so much cricket being played, One should be in Test Matches and the other should be for shorter formats.

anop santosh is a quality prospect! a version of akmal with the bat

Kamran Akmal should play as a keeper-batsman in all formats.
Sarfraz is a slightly better keeper but can't bat to save his life (atleast not on the international circuit).

The many, many lulz in this post.

If we drop YOSALF it might be the final nail in the coffin for me as a supporter. :adnan

Decent keeper batsman

But Sarfaraz needs to be given a proper run, he is a very good keeper and his domestic record says he can bat....

Adnan Akmal's batting is way to ordinary specially in ODIs and T20s

Adnan is fine for tests, in Odis and t20s we need shafiq or umar akmal to keep, otherwise team balance is gone (bringing back kamran is not an option)

Nope 1 performance proves nothing. He avgs only 16 and his past perforamnces are not good. I would go for Jamal Anwar. He can bat and keep.

- seems a good option whos performances have been good soo far, but seems to have weakness against spin......

Let Adnan concentrate on Test matches, and get Jamal for shorter formats. That is the best solution.

jamal anwar is the best wicketkeeper batsman in pakistan

Aslamalakaum wahrahamtullah,Umar Akmal is the solution I think.

Hit his second FC century (127) to draw the match for his team

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/677643.html

fell behind Mohammad Rizwan, Umar Siddiq Khan and even Bismillah Khan for the potential WK-batsman spot but good to have many options.

365138.html

potentially Pakistan's best wicket keeper-batsman (stats lie sometimes)

scored 43 off 28 today

Has poor stats, but watching his technique, he looks like a wasted talent to me.

Looks very talented. Good technique.

Some of the posts said that Sarfraz will never be a quality bat.Lol.Guess he proved them wrong.

Very poor player. Over hyped. Should be sent back to grade 2 cricket to refine his batting score some runs and come back to grade 1 cricket.

With such poor Fc cricketers who deserve to be in grade 2 but play grade 1 cricket our FC cricket is not competitive.

Back