Haseeb Hameed: ‘Nottinghamshire have helped me fall in love with cricket again’

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In an interview with Saj for Isport, Haseeb Hameed speaks about his move from Lancashire to Nottinghamshire and how Peter Moores influenced that decision, how his introduction to Test cricket at a young age has shaped his career and his aspirations to represent England once again.

SEI_78378902-640x360.jpg

Haseeb Hameed has been enjoying a productive start to the season, averaging 56.25 and leading the Nottinghamshire batting averages with two fifties and two centuries already under his belt in the County Championship.

Following his much-publicised departure from Lancashire, it would appear that the move to Trent Bridge could finally be paying off for the 24-year-old opener.

“Looking back now, having to move away from Lancashire, with it being my home county and playing there from the age of nine, was difficult,” he tells i. “But on the whole, a fresh start at Nottinghamshire has been good for me. I was happy to start a new chapter of my career and to join a county like Nottinghamshire, which has a brilliant coaching set-up and is a club with a great history.”

A slump in form and a spate of injuries led Lancashire to announce that Bolton-born Hameed was to be released at the end of the 2019 season. But, three months after his departure, he was reunited with a familiar face; somebody he feels has always had great faith in him and his abilities.

“Peter Moores was a big reason why I joined Nottinghamshire. Having been at Lancashire when he was head coach, he got me involved in some first-team sessions when I was just 16 years old and not even a part of the professional staff.

“I’d known at Lancashire what a great coach he was, and I’ve been able to experience that once again. I’ve once again been able to thrive from his experience, his leadership qualities and I feel that every time you speak with him it’s an opportunity to gain wisdom about the game. He’s right up there as a coach and he’s had a massive influence on my career.”

Moving away from the familiar surroundings of Old Trafford to a new environment could have been daunting for a young man who had played all of his cricket at one county. However, Haseeb is convinced that in the long run the move away from Lancashire will turn out to be the right one.

“I’m back to enjoying my cricket and the environment here at Nottinghamshire makes it very easy to fall in love with cricket again. Right from the first day I stepped through the doors at Trent Bridge I was welcomed with open arms and I felt comfortable straight away within the group dimension. I’m happy to be a part of the club and long may that continue.”

Haseeb made his international debut in India in 2016 at the age of 19, scoring two fifties in trying conditions. It was an effort that impressed team-mates and opponents alike, including Virat Kohli. But despite not playing for England since, he feels that the lessons learnt from his international debut series will serve him well. Indeed, he feels that his best days are yet to come.

SEI_74781096-760x513.jpg

“I don’t believe that being picked for England so early in my career created additional pressure. I am my own biggest critic and the expectations I have on myself are always very high.

“There was a lot of chat about me when I started to play for England but in my own head it was just about me trying to do the best I could.

“Having done well at a young age and in India, I knew that I could push myself further. Looking back, it was all a part of the learning experience and I’m still young and hopefully I have my best years ahead of me. I feel that the earlier experiences of my career, both good and bad, will help me in the future.”

With the county season in full swing, Haseeb is hoping that Nottinghamshire’s recent victory over Derbyshire by 310 runs – their first win in the County Championship since June 2018 – and the subsequent win over Essex by an innings and 30 runs will be the start of more success this summer.

“The wait to win a County Championship match wasn’t as long for me as it was for some of my team-mates, but it was nice to get that win in the bag. To follow it up with the win over Essex was just what we needed and we can now build on it and hopefully gain some momentum. We’ve got some amazing players, with a nice mix of youth and experience, so hopefully we can continue to gel together and do something special at the club.”

A fluctuating career trajectory has taught Haseeb not to take anything for granted, or to imagine that the future is foretold. Instead he has embraced the now well-known philosophy of the top-level sportsman: visualising the next game, focusing on his form.

“I just want to stay in the moment, not look too far into the future and I’m just enjoying being able to contribute for Nottinghamshire right now. We are looking to build something here and I just want to be a big part of that and contribute in any way I can whenever I go out to bat or in the field. If I can do that on a consistent basis and enjoy my cricket, the rest will look after itself.”

And what about his aspirations to play for England again? He may be keeping his eyes on the domestic road but a desire to add to his tally of three international Test matches is clearly driving him.

“I’ve never hidden away from my England ambitions as a cricketer and that still remains the case,” he says. “But as cliched as it may sound, the only way that can happen is if I keep focused on the present. What I have learnt is that the past and the future are two things that you cannot control, but it’s only what you do right now that can help your future. I’m taking things day by day and hopefully the rest will fall into place.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/h...amshire-cricketer-interview-lancashire-995178

Last edited:
This guy has aged a LOT(as the profile pic suggests).

Only if he was playing for Pakistan or any other asian country the rumour mills for fake/bothched up age would be at its peak, where would say he is 2 years older and others would put their money on 5 years of age fudging.

Hameed has a great chance of being selected for the winter trip to Australia, he only needs to maintain his form at Notts. There's a vacancy at the top of the order as Burns and Sibley still haven't quite cemented their positions despite being in the team for 2 years.

Hameed needed a move away from Lancs to rejuvenate his career, but it'll be interesting to know how he reacts under the spotlight of an England recall.

He did the right thing by moving away from Lancashire.

Sometimes being at one club for so long can hinder your progress and you can become a bit complacent.

He had a really good debut series in India and it's unfortunate that he lost his form and suffered injuries and never got another look in for England.

But he seems to be in a good place now and who knows, he might be back for England soon.

Only if he was playing for Pakistan or any other asian country the rumour mills for fake/bothched up age would be at its peak, where would say he is 2 years older and others would put their money on 5 years of age fudging.

Yeah OMG he looks more like 34 than 24.

I asked him.

He said it's the lockdown look :)

Mike Atherton hopes Haseeb Hameed will go 'from strength-to-strength' at Nottinghamshire

Former England captain Mike Atherton says he hopes Haseeb Hameed will go "from strength to strength" at Nottinghamshire after the opener's strong start to the county season.

Hameed scored 111 and 114 not out last week against Worcestershire, setting a new record of 635 balls for the most deliveries faced in a single County Championship match.

The 24-year-old fell for a duck against Derbyshire on Wednesday but followed it up with 94 in the second innings, neatly summarising a roller-coaster career that includes three Test caps for England against India in 2016.

Hameed left Lancashire in 2019 following a dramatic drop in form but is on the comeback trail after being made vice-captain at his new county over the winter.

"It's great to see Haseeb Hameed find some form again," former England opener Atherton told The Cricket Show.

"The move has been a good thing for him - just to get away from a place where he was struggling for a while, and to get away from family.

"A chance to start again and start afresh with a new set of players and a different set of eyes from a coach in Peter Moores and just try and re-set his career.

"I think he got to a stage at Lancashire where his form had been so poor for so long; he'd made so many changes to his game, tinkering around.

"I follow Hameed a lot, obviously, because I'm a former Lancashire opener and therefore you feel an affinity or an affection for somebody who is coming after you.

"I watched him and he was making so many changes to his game that I think he almost lost a sense of what previously had felt natural and instinctive to him.

"So I think the change is a good thing and hopefully we'll see him go from strength to strength.

"I've always felt that if you play as well as he did on that India tour a few years ago as an 18-year-old, it's there, it's in you and it will come back eventually given the right time and the right circumstances. So fingers crossed for him that he can come again."

Hameed scored 31 and 82 in his first two Test innings, and added another half-century in the third Test on England's tour of India in 2016, but thereafter his performances fell away.

"He kept snapping his fingers and having serious injuries, which always sets you back," reflected former England skipper Nasser Hussain.

"His stats look like those of someone who got into international cricket and found it a little bit too demanding and then faded away. But he actually just played like an international player.

"The one thing I'd note is that we stayed around after that India tour for the one-dayers and Haseeb stayed around with his dad.

"I noted on that tour that he went and saw a lot of the Indian greats; he was sat with Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni.

"I just looked at him and I thought 'just be careful here. You've had a good tour, enjoy your success, don't try and make it too important'.

"I'm speaking from experience here myself. Batting and cricket - you can make them a little bit too important. Yes, do your research and your prep but also enjoy the journey.

"That's what he's said; his move to Notts and playing under Peter Moores in a new environment means he's actually learning to enjoy the journey and not make it too important, whereas in the back of your mind you know that it is something you want to be successful at."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...-from-strength-to-strength-at-nottinghamshire

His father played a large part of his initial success but he definitely needed to break that bond on a professional level. Getting away from his family has obviously helped him.

His father played a large part of his initial success but he definitely needed to break that bond on a professional level. Getting away from his family has obviously helped him.

He's not moved away from his family. He travels to Nottingham as and when needed.

He's not moved away from his family. He travels to Nottingham as and when needed.

Ah okay. Well even from a coaching stand point some breathing room from his father will serve him well and some different perspectives on things.

Ah okay. Well even from a coaching stand point some breathing room from his father will serve him well and some different perspectives on things.

True.

All that Baby Boycott stuff and the issues he had at Lancs were hindering his progress.

Great news for Haseeb as gets a call-up for Tests:

From ECB:

Hameed, who has been in impressive form during the 2021 county season, has scored 474 runs at an average of 52.66, last played Test cricket in November 2016. His three Test caps came against India during England’s winter tour of 2016.

Hameed will play for Nottinghamshire in this week’s LV= Insurance County Championship match against Warwickshire at Edgbaston starting on Thursday. He will join up with the England team at their base in London on Sunday night.

I think he was supposed to be their next Geoffrey Boycott or was that someone else? :inti

Some of the media nicknamed him Baby Boycott as he could bat for long periods.

I don't think the nickname helped him really and probably increased the pressure on him.

Batsman Haseeb Hameed has "come back strong" to earn an England recall, according to Ashley Giles.

Hameed played three Tests at the age of 19, only to endure a difficult spell at Lancashire before reviving his career by joining Nottinghamshire in 2019.

He has been called into the England squad for the Test series against New Zealand, which starts on Wednesday.

"We've had a close eye on him and it's great to get him back into the fold," said England managing director Giles.

"I worked with him when I was coach at Lancashire and I was very impressed with how he goes about his work."

Opener Hameed played three matches in India in 2016, becoming the youngest man to appear in a Test for England in 19 years.

He averaged 43.80 with the bat but, after his tour was ended by a broken finger, his lack of form for Lancashire prevented an immediate return to international cricket.

The right-hander made only one first-class century in the following three years - averaging as little as 9.44 in the summer of 2018.

After he was released by Lancashire, he moved to Trent Bridge and began with a promising campaign in the truncated summer of 2020, averaging 38.85.

Hameed, now 24, as been in superb form in 2021, already making two hundreds and two half-centuries in the County Championship.

"He's a high quality young player," Giles told BBC Sport. "But as we see with some players, they come into the England system and it can shock them a little bit.

"Sometimes they can go back a bit, but he's shown the character that we know he's got and he's come back strong."

Hameed and Kent wicketkeeper Sam Billings were called into the squad after an injury to Ben Foakes, who slipped in the dressing room while playing for Surrey last week, resulting in a torn hamstring that will keep him out for three months.

As a result, Gloucestershire gloveman James Bracey, 23, is set to make his debut at in the first Test at Lord's.

"He was around us a lot last year and through the winter," Giles said of Bracey.

"He's impressed everyone, he's obviously done very well in county cricket so he may well get an opportunity.

"He's a very impressive young man and if he plays it will be a very exciting week for him as it is for any debutant."

BBC

Haseeb retains his place in the Test squad for the upcoming series against India.

Currently playing quite well for the County Select XI against India, any chance of him making an appearance in the series?

Hameed scored 112 for a county select XI in the practice match against the Indian tourists at Durham today. He's knocking hard on that door for a recall to the England test team.

Haseeb has been named in the 17 member squad for first two tests against India.He looks very solid batsman.Plays spin and pace with ease.

Calls for his inclusion in the 2nd Test are growing - surely can do better than some.

Worth a go.

Can't do much worse than some of the current picks.

Haseeb playing after a gap of 5 years. Featuring in 2nd test against India today

I wonder what's with his look j***kie look though. No cut, No shave. You have a beard only for religious reasons or long locks for a rockstar look ( Desi Rockstar!) but not both. Haven't seen this on an int cricketer since the 80s.

I wonder what's with his look j***kie look though. No cut, No shave. You have a beard only for religious reasons or long locks for a rockstar look ( Desi Rockstar!) but not both. Haven't seen this on an int cricketer since the 80s.
As they say each to their own.

Nobody has an issue these days if men blonde their hair and have a ponytail, then whats the big deal about Haseeb’s appearance.

As they say each to their own.

Nobody has an issue these days if men blonde their hair and have a ponytail, then whats the big deal about Haseeb’s appearance.

No big deal. Just an observation if there was a story behind it. Though of course he could maintain it better.

Tough for Haseeb, first ball duck

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Siraj takes 2 in 2 and it brings our captain to the crease.<br><br>Scorecard/Clips: <a href="https://t.co/GW3VJ3wfDv">https://t.co/GW3VJ3wfDv</a><br><br>&#55356;&#57332;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56418;&#56128;&#56421;&#56128;&#56430;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56447; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvIND?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvIND</a> &#55356;&#56814;&#55356;&#56819; | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedForRuth?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RedForRuth</a> <a href="https://t.co/Qeo8wjGrsC">pic.twitter.com/Qeo8wjGrsC</a></p>— England Cricket (@englandcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1426200938860081158?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was disappointed when he wasn't give a chance to come straight back into Englands side when he broke his finger.... as per normal unlike other players the asian had prove himself in county cricket again.

He deserves his chance, at one stage he was looking like the obvious replacement for Cook but 5 years have passed now. Hopefully he is given a proper run in the side to fail to or suceed....

I've never seen anyone get out to such a harmless delivery.

I feel for the guy though - that was all because of nerves. Feet didn't go anywhere and he looked like a deer caught in headlights!

Feel for the lad.

Hopefully he'll do well in the 2nd innings.

What an awful awful shot, look at the angle of the bat going towards mid on, feet no where, a shot you expect from a number 11.

no 11 shot.JPG

_119929057_haseeb_hameed_getty3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get the hype.

Just a decent county player; FC record attests to that.

Eng must b desperate to call in someone of his skill set n numbers…

Despite being dropped, Haseeb has a great chance to cement his place for the next Test.

I like the look of Hameed. He didn’t look intimidated even though the Indians didn’t really target him when he came out. Got dropped. Still.... Has an ease about him that’s attractive.

Haseen looks good though not exactly Root-esque . He hasn’t done so well against India till date but that’s not the right metric. Indian opening bowlers are world class who won’t let anyone debuting to settle down. He would do well in coming matches.

There is a general rule in the batting order.

You send your most solid or the best batsman at # 3 position.

How did Haseeb qualify to be sent at 3 is beyond me.

Deserves a few more chances - he's earned it with domestic performances and in the warm-up match. Such a pressure Test against this bowling attack, batting in such pressure situations was a big baptism by fire for his return, so can't judge him solely on this.

Haseen looks good though not exactly Root-esque . He hasn’t done so well against India till date but that’s not the right metric. Indian opening bowlers are world class who won’t let anyone debuting to settle down. He would do well in coming matches.

He played well against us in India. He needs more chances and support. Decent technique.

Seems all he needed was a slight promotion to an opening slot, not missing straight balls so much now. Obviously it also helps a tad if the opposition's been shot out for double figures.

Hameed looks clutch today. Am intrigued to see how he performs in this match and the next two as well.

Delighted for him after the horror comeback Test.

He's worked hard, put in a lot of effort and that's paying dividend.

His technique is so good and I think Imran Butt can learn from watching him.

Very good 50 from Hameed, apart from that final boundary.

He's looked very impressive and assured for the most part.

Hameed's probably assured of a spot on the Ashes squad with this half-century, assuming the tour goes ahead.

He should have been caught by Sharma in the slips from that edge that brought up his fifty, but he deserves a bit of luck.

His backfoot game looks super powerful

Any width on offer is getting banged recklessly

Was a little reluctant to drive in front foot though

A solid prospect in the making nevertheless

Nuts how folk write of a bloke after one knock then jump ship after a good performance

New kid opening the innings half day into Day 1 against Bumrah, Shami, Siraj and Ishant, and providing a 100+ opening stand including a personal 60*? Gots to appreciate!

Great performance. And we hope to see more of him. He has hints of Zaheer Abbas in that cut shot through point.

I like the look of Hameed. He didn’t look intimidated even though the Indians didn’t really target him when he came out. Got dropped. Still.... Has an ease about him that’s attractive.

When he walks around, he looks like a tailender - his body language and attitude. But there is style when he bats - something you usually don't associate with an England batsman :bell

Brilliant stuff from Haseeb - Inshallah a great future ahead of him.

Proud times for Asians - great to see such cricketers come out of the system.

Hameed looks like opener material. Gavaskar was mentioning about some flaws in his batting against pacers which he can work upon. Takes his eyes off the bouncer and shuffles forward

Brilliant stuff from Haseeb - Inshallah a great future ahead of him.

Proud times for Asians - great to see such cricketers come out of the system.

Alhamdullilah, was a gritty knock against some of the world's best bowlers. Wishing all the best and hope he permanently seals the English opening slot :moyo

HASEEB HAMEED speaking to Sky Cricket:

"There is so much you can learn from Rooty and - not only in this game but in the way he's been batting throughout the series. It has been of the highest class.

"The simplicity with which he plays is something that stands out for me; he's got so much time, which everyone looks for as a batsman but that's from years and years of practice.

"I'm very happy to have contributed in this innings in a more natural position, opening the innings - I felt more comfortable going into the innings."

HASEEB HAMEED speaking to Sky Cricket:

"There is so much you can learn from Rooty and - not only in this game but in the way he's been batting throughout the series. It has been of the highest class.

"The simplicity with which he plays is something that stands out for me; he's got so much time, which everyone looks for as a batsman but that's from years and years of practice.

"I'm very happy to have contributed in this innings in a more natural position, opening the innings - I felt more comfortable going into the innings."

Had a great chance to put a score on the board but went into his shell again.

[VIDEO/PICTURE] Was Virat Kohli justified in his complaint against Haseeb Hameed?

Hameed-Kohli-mark-grab.jpg

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/x7lhq3" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

The India tour of England has been a big test of the players' credentials with the bat and the ball, as well as their nerves. The three matches so far have produced roller-coaster of emotions. But while a number of players have been inconsistent, the umpiring in the series has been spot on so far. However, India skipper Virat Kohli got an opportunity to complain to the umpire seeing England opener Haseeb Hameed take his guard far away from his crease.

India struck early on Day 1 of the 4th Test against England at the Oval, with Jasprit Bumrah removing openers Rory Burns and Haseeb Hameed for 5 and 0 respectively. However, before his dismissal, Haseeb was found to be taking the guard quite ahead of the crease. Seeing him do this, Kohli went up to the umpire and brought it to his notice.

As per the laws of the game, the batsman is not allowed to take guard close to the protected area which is 5ft from the crease as frequent encroachment is possible. Seeing Hameed take his guard, Kohli had to bring that to the umpire's notice. It has to be noted that even Indian wicket-keeper batsman Rishabh Pant had been asked to change his stance in the last match by the umpires for similar reasons.

As per Law 41 – Unfair play, the striker cannot mark the guard or take a stance in the protected area or so close to the protected area that frequent encroachment is inevitable.

Kohli had a discussion with the umpire about Hameed's act. The England opener, however, didn't last long in the middle as he was sent packing by Jasprit Bumrah for a 12-ball duck.

At the Headingley Test, Pant was asked to change his stance as his front foot was coming into the danger area. At one of the press conferences, the wicket-keeper batsman had even shed light on the matter saying, “Because I was standing outside the crease and my front-foot was coming into the danger area, so he (the umpire) told me that you can’t stand there”.

As for the match, the game remains relatively even, thanks to Shardul Thakur's blitzkrieg with the bat. The part-time batsman scored a quick-fire fifty to help India put 191 runs on the board. At stumps on Day 1, England sit at 53/3.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...from-crease-leaves-virat-kohli-bemused/807155

Last edited:
Yes. Even before Kohli complained, Mike Artherton highlighted this in sky sports commentary.

Yes. Even before Kohli complained, Mike Artherton highlighted this in sky sports commentary.

He noted that it was unusual, not that he was wrong for doing it. His mark was just outside the protected area therefore he's fine.

Last edited:
Related and for comparison's sake:

==

LEEDS: The legendary Sunil Gavaskar is baffled as to why the English umpires objected to Rishabh Pant's stance of standing outside the crease during the ongoing third Test against England as he feels that rules doesn't prevent him from doing so.

After the end of the first day's play at Headingley, the swashbuckling wicketkeeper said he had to change his stance after being told by the umpire as batting outside the crease to negate swing formed footmarks in the pitch's danger area.

But Gavaskar said footmarks don't determine a batsman's stance.

"I was wondering why was he told to change his stance, if that is true. I only read it. Batsman can stand anywhere, even on the middle of the pitch and what when the batsman goes down the track against the spinners (footmarks can form even then)," Gavaskar said while commentating on the third day of the match.

His fellow commentator and former India player Sanjay Manjrekar called it "ridiculous".

Pant spoke about this after India were bowled out for 78 on the opening day of the match.

"Because I was standing outside the crease and my front-foot was coming into the danger area, so he (the umpire) told me that you can't stand there," Pant had said during the virtual post-day press conference on Wednesday.

"So, I have (had) to change my stance, but as a cricketer, I don't have to think too much about that, because it's everyone who is going to do that, umpires are going to say the same thing. I didn't do that the next ball and you move on."

The decision by the two English umpires once again that whether it's time that ICC reverts back to its two neutral on-field umpires for Test matches which has been stopped due to travel restrictions in the post COVID-19 world.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...his-stance-by-umpire/articleshow/85689299.cms

Hameed reaches his 2nd fifty in as many matches in the 4th Test vs India.

Hameed reaches his 2nd fifty in as many matches in the 4th Test vs India.

Unplayable?

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/zlk3nv" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Unplayable?

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/zlk3nv" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Not a fan of this technique / stance when bowlers go around the wicket. You are allowed to open your shoulders in such circumstances.

Not unplayable, but he crafted a solid innings of 62 under pressure in the 4th innings. No blame attached and England have a couple of useful openers here. Two partnerships of 100 in the series.

Played well today and last evening, but ultimately he needs to try and convert these starts into a test hundred. It will come with time.

He plays everything inside the line of the ball… hence why he gets bowled so frequently. I always feel he’s never behind the line of the ball. If he can fix this, I think he’s a way better option than sibley and burns who are very limited in their techniques

He may not have converted but he has contributed to giving England uncharacteristically good starts since he's come in. He deserves to be persisted with.

Back