Horror movies worth watching

I agree about Event Horizon.

Very good film and scary in parts.

Another horror I liked was drag me to hell, I really liked the ending.

'The Others' with Nicole Kidman. I fell in love with her after watching that movie. Great actress, not sure what's happened to her in the last few years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'The Others' with Nicole Kidman. I fell in love with her after watching that movie. Great actress, not sure what's happened to her in the last few years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A thoroughly enjoyable fare , the twist in that movie is one of the best and right up there with The usual suspects .

Last edited:
Amityvillle horror, the shining, susperia, rec, 30 days of night, exorcist, poltergeist, child's play, children of corn, the omen,nightmare of elm street, the ju on (Japanese), interview with the vampire, dracula(Gary oldman)
Bollywood:
Raat
Phoonk
Darna mana hai
Gehraai
Mahal
Then offcourse veerana not so much for horror but I liked the girl jasmine

Might be catching Annabelle tonight

I agree about Event Horizon.

Very good film and scary in parts.

Another horror I liked was drag me to hell, I really liked the ending.

Where we're going we won't need eyes to see

This line creeped me the hell out.

RT and Metacritic are useless. If you went by RT, you will watch boring costume dramas all the time and ZERO horror movies. That said, it does seem like a shameless cash-in of a movie that was no great shakes itself. I might catch it if I get the time.

RT and Metacritic are useless. If you went by RT, you will watch boring costume dramas all the time and ZERO horror movies. That said, it does seem like a shameless cash-in of a movie that was no great shakes itself. I might catch it if I get the time.

That's why I wait on your reviews at times :p

Housebound from NZ has been receiving phenomenal reviews. Even bloody disgusting gave it a very positive review. A horror comedy. We have made quite a few good ones. Braindead, Bad Taste and The Frighteners all by Peter Jackson. Then there is Black Sheep.

Ouija is mainstream PG-13 horror. Not even gonna go close to that crap. The sad thing is it was a MASSIVE box office success. I guess Americans like their horror neutered.

Annabelle is better than expected. I would even say it's scarier than The Conjuring. However, The Conjuring was not scary and Annabelle is not very scary either. But there are a couple of genuinely creepy moments in it. The story is quite mediocre and cookie-cutter and just when the movie is getting good, it stops. The Conjuring had a lot of flaws(Derivative, not very scary) but Wan's direction helped cover up the flaws to a large extent.

The Babadook seems interesting. Have it on my computer and will watch it when I get the time.

Every episode of Supernatural is like a mild horror film.

The trailer seems amazing. I wasn't a big fan of the original but could this be one of the better remakes?

tumblr_nm38oeej0v1rp0vkjo1_250.gif

The Descent is a good horror, not many have mentioned this film.

Ouija is mainstream PG-13 horror. Not even gonna go close to that crap. The sad thing is it was a MASSIVE box office success. I guess Americans like their horror neutered.

Annabelle is better than expected. I would even say it's scarier than The Conjuring. However, The Conjuring was not scary and Annabelle is not very scary either. But there are a couple of genuinely creepy moments in it. The story is quite mediocre and cookie-cutter and just when the movie is getting good, it stops. The Conjuring had a lot of flaws(Derivative, not very scary) but Wan's direction helped cover up the flaws to a large extent.

The Babadook seems interesting. Have it on my computer and will watch it when I get the time.

Babadook was so boring, a waste of time.

The trailer seems amazing. I wasn't a big fan of the original but could this be one of the better remakes?

View attachment 55865

Parts of the trailer looked way too CGI heavy. Hopefully they don't go for that effect throughout. But i like how they show us what the girl would be seeing. Will definitely be checking this out.

Found it depressing more than scary.

It is overrated and not the best horror film of 2014.

I liked how the EXTREMELY annoying kid became surprisingly likeable and his dumb antics turned out to be more than useful. Also, I liked the lack of jump scares in the film.

Ultimately, my favourite thing was how it found a clever resolution to the story. Usually, it's either kill the monster or the monster is back for the sequel. It took a 3rd and frankly hilarious option.

It was not very scary but the acting was raw and direction showed a sense of maturity. The lead actress deserved an Oscar for her terrific acting.

The Sacrament, Housebound, Oculus, The Babadook, Dead Snow 2 are my top 5 horror films of 2014.

It is overrated and not the best horror film of 2014.

I liked how the EXTREMELY annoying kid became surprisingly likeable and his dumb antics turned out to be more than useful. Also, I liked the lack of jump scares in the film.

Ultimately, my favourite thing was how it found a clever resolution to the story. Usually, it's either kill the monster or the monster is back for the sequel. It took a 3rd and frankly hilarious option.

It was not very scary but the acting was raw and direction showed a sense of maturity. The lead actress deserved an Oscar for her terrific acting.

The Sacrament, Housebound, Oculus, The Babadook, Dead Snow 2 are my top 5 horror films of 2014.

I have only seen Babadook and Oculus from this list. Will check the rest out.

Seen the sacrament, housebound, oculus, the babadook. Just didn't get time to get around dead snow 2.

Housebound was similar to the pact.

Most of them are comedy horrors - The one to look out for is It Follows.

Not sure if it counts as horror but recently watched Sleep Tight and I Saw The Devil again.

The original is a classic. This is a PG rated remake. Will give this one a miss.
Appreciate the support for R-Rated horror man!

However the original was PG as well. Though that may have been due to Spielberg interfering with Hooper's vision who wanted a darker, grittier horror film.

They used real corpses in the original lol.

Poltergeist, Tremors , Childs Play , Evil dead , Exorcist, The conjuring, and specially those move which dont have stupid adult scene

In Bollywood : Purana Mandir , Veerana, Vastu Shastra, Phoonk, Bhool Bhulayyan( was more thriller than horror)

In Pakistan : if any one have seen the drama WOH and WOh Dobara its awesome

care to explain the ending?
From what I remember, she defeated the monster. Now she keeps it as a pet. Incredibly audacious ending. Tinge of humour in it too. Poor execution could have killed it but it worked out just fine.

Can be interpreted as she getting over her depression from the husband's death. It won't go away but she can control it now.

SINISTER2_OneSheet.jpg

The first one was great. Scary, suspenseful without too much gore. Liked the investigation scenes too.

2nd one seems more of the same and unfortunately, Bughuul seems to be overexposed. Derrickson who wrote and directed the first is back only as a writer. So hoping to see a good movie.

Here's the trailer:

Insidious chapter 3, Sinister 2 and Poltergeist. A lot to look forward to this year.

SINISTER2_OneSheet.jpg

The first one was great. Scary, suspenseful without too much gore. Liked the investigation scenes too.

2nd one seems more of the same and unfortunately, Bughuul seems to be overexposed. Derrickson who wrote and directed the first is back only as a writer. So hoping to see a good movie.

Here's the trailer:

Insidious chapter 3, Sinister 2 and Poltergeist. A lot to look forward to this year.

Amazing. Sinister was one of my favourite horror flicks.

It follows is getting rave reviews. When I saw the plot it seemed a rip off of Ring and one Missed call. But the reviews say it is a great horror movie

Ouija: Origin of Evil is the latest I saw.

It was a very good horror movie. enjoyed it.

recommend latest horror movies you have watched guys. really looking for good movies to watch.

Ouija: Origin of Evil is the latest I saw.

It was a very good horror movie. enjoyed it.

Watched half of it yesterday . would watch the rest today.

Also downloading autopsy of jane doe. Have heard good things about it.

recommend latest horror movies you have watched guys. really looking for good movies to watch.

I watched The veil recently. Was okay.

From bolly , phoonk 2 was scary.

Trailer for the new Alien looks very good [MENTION=95766]leatherface58[/MENTION]

Whats the scariest movie you have ever watched?

Hate scary movies, generally avoid them when possible due to many traumatic experiences.

I'd say either Aliens which I saw aged 6 and scarred me yet left me so curious about the franchise, or this film called The Ruins which totally freaked me out

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched The veil recently. Was okay.

From bolly , phoonk 2 was scary.

thanks. will check them out. usually I don't like Bollywood horror movies because they are mostly crap but I will check it out.

has anyone watched autopsy of jane doe ? don't you think movie is incomplete, we dont get to know what happened with jane doe and it doesn't make sense at all with incomplete ending.

thanks. will check them out. usually I don't like Bollywood horror movies because they are mostly crap but I will check it out.

Same here .prefer hollywood always. but phoonk 2 genuinely scared me for some reasons. I am not sure if u would want to see the first part of the movie because thats not scary but that might give u some context of the second one.

The veil however isnt much scary. It has jessica alba in it. One time watch i would say.

The autopsy of Jane doe has some hype around it.

Hate scary movies, generally avoid them when possible due to many traumatic experiences.

I'd say either Aliens which I saw aged 6 and scarred me yet left me so curious about the franchise, or this film called The Ruins which totally freaked me out

Dudeee, i start watching scary movies at 11:30 pm sharp. Alone. Just for the thrills. The effect of it has reached a point where I dont get scared by any horror movies even at night Haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Trailer for the new Alien looks very good [MENTION=95766]leatherface58[/MENTION]

I don't watch trailers any more because they either give too much away or they are totally misleading. Prometheus was not a bad movie although it pulled it's punches when it should have gone for the throat. That being said, Ridley has got his mojo back after the Martian and is sure to make another good movie.

Dudeee, i start watching scary movies at 11:30 pm sharp. Alone. Just for the thrills. The effect of it has reached a point where I dont get scared by any horror movies even at night Haha

I watched Rec at 3 in the night and nearly bit my fingers off. Amazing movie although the sequels kept getting worse.

The first paranormal activity and the exorcism of emily rose, although I've not watched any recently. Have there been any decent horror movies in 2016? I think I was supposed to see a few which had good reviews but can't remember which ones. I did watch 10 cloverfield lane, I quiet liked it but was more of a sci fi thriller with horror elements

Just saw the trailer and I am not convinced at all.

I don't think it will even come close to the original 1979 classic nor will it beat the 1986 action packed sequel.

From the trailer it looks like a mixture of the first two films but with modern special effects.

Since Ridley is directing it I will still give it a glimmer of hope that it might still be decent at best but nothing more than that.

I don't watch trailers any more because they either give too much away or they are totally misleading. Prometheus was not a bad movie although it pulled it's punches when it should have gone for the throat. That being said, Ridley has got his mojo back after the Martian and is sure to make another good movie.

Correct I'm the same, but my brother casted it on my living room tv so didnt have a choice haha.

Basically shows two characters getting killed off

I liked the Zee horror show as a kid. "The Omen" with Gregory Peck , "Race with the Devil" and old "Dracula" movies are great as well.

The first paranormal activity and the exorcism of emily rose, although I've not watched any recently. Have there been any decent horror movies in 2016? I think I was supposed to see a few which had good reviews but can't remember which ones. I did watch 10 cloverfield lane, I quiet liked it but was more of a sci fi thriller with horror elements

Exorcism of emily rose is very over rated imo. Didnt find anything scary about it.

Last night i watched ouija the origin of evil.
Absolute disappointment. They dont make scary movies anymore it seems. Just some useless special effects and out of the blue screams.

I liked the Zee horror show as a kid. "The Omen" with Gregory Peck , "Race with the Devil" and old "Dracula" movies are great as well.

Zee horror show and Aahat all episodes are on youtube. Has not aged well though

Most of the Horror movies today tend to overdose on atleast one of the horror movie tropes, just to please the instant gratification generation - be it Excessive Gore, Shaky camera work, Overdone CGI and worst of all - awkward silence followed by things jumping out from somewhere ... :doh

The great horror movies of the past never seemed to try too much to scare you . They just let the tension build up and take its course.. The scares never seemed rushed like today . Which is why many of those movies hold up so well even now.

Here are my favorite 5 horror movies (no particular order except number 1).. many of these I watched when I was a kid(my uncle owned a DVD store ) , but still enjoy even after I grew up .

1. The Omen (1976)
Absolute classic ! Was too scared to see it as a child. Saw it with friends last year for the 1st time .

Fantastic music. Terrific buildup ! Some incredible scary moments achieved by genius film-making. . No CGI, no Jerky cam and no excess gore even !. Many of the scenes feel so real and plausible, which is what made it so great . Shows what talented filmmakers could accomplish .. Still holds up after 40 years.

Top moments :
~The child going to church (so realistic. No CGI Satan or anything . Just a child screaming . )
~The beheading by glass scene (Absolute treasure! Pure cinematic genius )
~The Cemetery scene with the rottweilers !(Absolutely scary ,even in 2016)
~The mothers death, the nanny death and so on..

2. Alien (1979)
Greatest monster movie ever ! The posters and tagline alone send chills down your spine http://www.blankmaninc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alien-movie-poster-1979.jpg.

Music ,visuals everything just pulls you to such a terrifying place . The emptyness of the planet they explore is really scary.

I have seen many adults unable to sit through even a full hour of the movie out of tension. Such is the buildup.! The monster appears pretty late in the movie. But it is the anticipation that kills you . Watching it as an Adult many years later I found the sexual undertones and the rape/genitalia allusions of the movie pretty terrifying too . Ridley Scott was truly a master filmmaker.

Top Scary Moment
: The chest-buster scene (Often voted one of the scariest moments in cinema history )

3. The Fly (1986)

Incredibly disturbing movie. The film tells of an eccentric scientist who, after one of his experiments goes wrong, slowly turns into a fly-hybrid creature.

Jeff goldblum gives a great performance. Effects are great. A really unique type of horror movie.

Top Scary moment :
~Veronica's nightmare about her child (Made me puke as a kid)
~The transformation scene.

4. The Exorcist (1973):
Another classic . The most beautiful and perhaps chilling theme music in a horror movie ever!(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvu87kNi8I)
Often hyped up as one of the greatest horror films (well deserved though).

Might not feel that scary to the present generation who are overexposed to repetitions of the same kind of horror seen in this film.

But this movie was pioneering . A colossal box office smash. I have heard stories of people in India travelling hours and hours to catch a screening of this film ! That too back in '73.

Undoubtedly the most influential & discussed horror film of all time..

To Scary moment:
EVERY scene with the possessed child is super scary .

5. The Evil Dead (1981) & Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (1987)
Have to take them both together. The third one was more "Aliens" to these "Alien" films.

Masterpieces ! Sam Raimi created a Low Budget amalgamation of horror , gore and pure slapstick comedy. The most inventive & groundbreaking horror movies of their time.
You have to read up some of the techniques that were used to accomplish this movie to truly appreciate Raimi's genius.

Also gave birth to the most celebrated horror movie hero in "ASH WILLIAMS".

Most people brush off these movies as comedy films now because of the cheap effects and overall silliness in some scenes. But I haven't heard a horror movie talked about in such bated breath as a child in the 90's as these two. The explicit content and extreme gore would have surely played a part . And the scares were genuinely scary back then !!

The new Ash Vs Evil dead TV series carry on the spirit of these classics, much better than the stupid remake did. !

Top Scary Moment :
~ Tree rape scene (most controversial)
~Ash loosing his hand.
~The 1st person view of Evil moving through the jungle.

Honourable mentions :

Jaws (1975) :

Spielberg's masterpiece . Show's how much you can scare without actually showing the monster at all !!

Psycho(1960) :

Hitchcocks greatest. Not that scary to see now. But the Black & White visuals and the acting really make it uniquely scary . The shower scene pretty much gives the Chest-Buster from aliens a run for its money !

The Birds(1963):

Another Hitchcock classic ! Very interesting premise. Who would think birds could be this scary !!

Jurassic Park(1993) :
Might seem a silly choice, but good scares need not come from custom built Horror films. Saw this movie at a movie theater in 1999 as a 7 year old (whole school was there). Has some scares right from the beginning ("Where's the goat ") . But not a single soul in the theatre didnt feel terrified through the Raptor scene in the Kitchen, toward the end !!.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Snakes on a plane.

Exorcism of emily rose is very over rated imo. Didnt find anything scary about it.

Last night i watched ouija the origin of evil.
Absolute disappointment. They dont make scary movies anymore it seems. Just some useless special effects and out of the blue screams.

It's not overated, generally no one rates it :)) The narrative wasn't all that but I found it a little scary when it came on telly.

Yeah totally agree, am going to try and find the best ones which were released in 2016 to see what they are like but rarely do they give you frights in comparison to past releases. Conjuring seems to be one of the movies which is rated, have seen the first but can't remember what it was like; will be watching part 1 and 2

Can't believe no one has mentioned Snakes on a plane.

Haven't seen it . But have read about it being a very underrated horror film. People are just turned off by the silly name. Another one of Sam Jackson's horror flicks is Deep blue Sea.

Nice comedy movie u mentioned.

Feeling scared is a deeply personal POV bro. I have come across many people who think of "Evil Dead" as comedy movies. While "The Mummy" which is a pretty funny movie now, scared the crap out of me as a child. !:O

Feeling scared is a deeply personal POV bro. I have come across many people who think of "Evil Dead" as comedy movies. While "The Mummy" which is a pretty funny movie now, scared the crap out of me as a child. !:O

Haha i know. Was just joking.

Been a while a movie scared me.

Haha i know. Was just joking.

Been a while a movie scared me.

If you have a really strong appetite for violence then try Cannibal Holocaust (1980) . Its an Italian cannibal exploitation horror film directed by Ruggero Deodato.

The most disturbing movie I've seen by a mile. Its a neo-realistic film. The entire movie is presented as seen through the cameraman's POV alone. It seems more documentary than film . That's the scary part !

It's not a movie that gives you random scares. But the way the story progresses & the some of the scenes really chill you to the spine ..

Back