How Jay Shah neutered the Asia Cup concept and shot everyone in the foot

owenhcricket

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
This is my take on the Asia Cup and as a cricket fan first, it was an absolute disaster. Watching pundits outside of Asia making a laughing stock of a tournament which didn't even know where it's matches would be played, how many reserve day there would be and last minute changes of mind make the ICC seem a reward worthy professional outfit.

A lot of this points towards one man and one ideology: a hatred for Pakistan among large sections of the Indian population which has now found itself in position of immense power.

It also points towards on problem: a lack of loyalty and backbone by all cricketing boards, in particular Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, who in the past were helped greatly by the PCB.

In the end, it was us cricket fans, not just partisan glory hunters who suffered. Two Pakistan v India clashes were mired by bad weather, when the second match was eventually completed, a large section of the ground was mired in muck and if it was any other game, it would never have gone ahead, not in a million years.

The teams also suffered, with none but India knowing where the super 4 matches would take place, with Jay Shah changing his mind over the course of two emails just 17 minutes apart.

This culminated in the worst, least intriguing finale in any major tournament the sport has ever seen. For all of the PCB walking around with egg on their face, the Sri Lankan board ended up looking worse, their players also supposedly had a bust up and the BCCI draws even more ire outside of their own circle.

This was a tournament that benefited none other than the politics and extremist ideologies of certain people, the BCCIs stranglehold over Asian cricket and ultimately did not allow their own team to grow. We all know Siraj is not a great swing bowler and the hype that is building now, as it did before 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021, will come crashing down to a very real Earth when faced against the likes of England, Australia and new Zealand, especially if they have to bat first and then try and stop teams chasing under lights in India.

It's sad because this should have been an absolute celebrate of cricket, which could have been played in a country primed, both weather wise and prep wise, allowing for the spectacle of a true Pak v India and even for the odd upset.

Let us hope the world cup, already mired in corruption and incompetence goes ahead as a cricketing tournament and not a parade of fools.

Best to add a comment if you have one about what the author has said instead of smart one liners.

Asia Cup has definitely lost its prestige. I think it stopped being a proper event after 2012.

They now put Pakistan, India, and one associate every time (group stage). Why is that? Why not use a lottery system to select each group?

It became even more farcical when they added a reserve day for Pak-Ind and not for other games.

It should just be India Srilanka Pakistan Bangladesh and Afghanistan in a league type tournament facing each other twice before the final with the two teams leading the table

Only 1 game washed out in entire tournament.

3 very close matches - Ind v SL, Pak v SL, Ind v BD, SL v Afg.

Great pitches. Exciting cricket. Final was sold out.

Apart from reserve being added for Ind-Pak games, there wasn't any issue with the tournament once it started.

Only 1 game washed out in entire tournament.

3 very close matches - Ind v SL, Pak v SL, Ind v BD, SL v Afg.

Great pitches. Exciting cricket. Final was sold out.

Apart from reserve being added for Ind-Pak games, there wasn't any issue with the tournament once it started.

The host of the tournament playing their home game in a foreign land? That sound like a serious movie to you?

This seems like a desperate but a well articulated (credit where it's due) coping attempt by a rather passionate supporter who is still unable to digest his/her team's "misfortune" masked above what actually is just plain ineptitude...

Pakistan spent a good month and half in Sri Lanka just before the tournament and got acclimatised to the conditions by playing series' against two other Asian teams. And the fact that they still ended up with 2 defeats in 2 big games (one being a monumental thrashing) and a likely defeat in the other washed out game should ring quite a few alarm bells and a good amount of constrictive critisism..

Ofcourse, you could also cover your ears and scream "JAY SHAH BAD" at the top of your lungs too so it's all upto personal preference.

Was there a PCB representative on the dais during the Final presentation.

I don't recall.

This needs to be probed more. Was an invite rejected? And if there was no invite, a big fuss needs to be thrown because speaking from experience in India, Jay Shah's papa is a bully when there is no opposition and a little mouse when there is.

The host of the tournament playing their home game in a foreign land? That sound like a serious movie to you?

India did it in 2018.

Sri Lanka did in 2022..

No one put a gun to Zaka Ashraf's head to bring his countrymen to play in Sri Lanka. Pakistan and the other boards choose to have that sweet sweet Indian ad revenue.

What's that saying about 'having a cake and eat it too'?

India did it in 2018.

Sri Lanka did in 2022..

No one put a gun to Zaka Ashraf's head to bring his countrymen to play in Sri Lanka. Pakistan and the other boards choose to have that sweet sweet Indian ad revenue.

What's that saying about 'having a cake and eat it too'?

No one was shot in foot when 2018 and 2022 Asia cups had hosts playing all their games outside their country. But hosts playing 4 games in 2023 Asia Cup destroyed everything.

This seems like a desperate but a well articulated (credit where it's due) coping attempt by a rather passionate supporter who is still unable to digest his/her team's "misfortune" masked above what actually is just plain ineptitude...

Pakistan spent a good month and half in Sri Lanka just before the tournament and got acclimatised to the conditions by playing series' against two other Asian teams. And the fact that they still ended up with 2 defeats in 2 big games (one being a monumental thrashing) and a likely defeat in the other washed out game should ring quite a few alarm bells and a good amount of constrictive critisism..

Ofcourse, you could also cover your ears and scream "JAY SHAH BAD" at the top of your lungs too so it's all upto personal preference.

you havent seen my other posts regarding the Asia Cup if you truly believe what you just said. I'm fully aware and even before the start of the tournament I mentioned Pakistan lacked a quality spinner. There was and is uncertainty about Fakhar as an opener.

But as I have also said, there is an overreaction to Pakistan's losses and that there is still a lot of very good in the side, Babar is still the best all format batter on the planet, Rizwan is still one of the best keeper bats (although I was down on him pre-tournament) and the pace trio is the best in the world, although Naseem will now be injured but Wasim Jr for example is still a good bowler and averaging 25 early in his career. Not to mention Imam as a consistent opener and Ifty as a pretty decent middle/lower middle order bat who will benefit from being at 5.

Also in your assessment to miss out the fact, that leading up to the second India match Pakistan had to jet between 4 different cities, not to mention the hours spent in coaches, travelling a total of 9 times (I think it was, you can check one of the other thread where me and other posters discussed this) in 11 days. That would knacker any team, let alone a team which had already been on the road for so long before the tournament.

And only the most ardent of Pakistan haters or Hindutva lovers would say the opposite of "Jay Shah Bad".

No one was shot in foot when 2018 and 2022 Asia cups had hosts playing all their games outside their country. But hosts playing 4 games in 2023 Asia Cup destroyed everything.

I think some people fail to engage their brains...the 2018 tournament was held in the UAE completely, with teams travelling less than an hour before reaching either of the two stadiums.

The exact same scenario, although Sharjah was used instead of Abu Dhabi, occurred in 2022. However, if you actually bothered learning before you typed, you'd know that Pakistan were shafted again in that tournament. The first issue was covid and then Pakistan were supposed to reserve rights of holding the tournament before the ACC unilaterally decided it would be a Sri Lanka tournament...which then moved to UAE because Sri Lanka stated they could not hold the tournament themselves.

In none of those scenarios did any team have to travel 9 times, in 11 days, travelling hundreds of miles for their matches, while being hosts and having plans change last minute.

If you think otherwise, please feel free to prove me wrong with facts.

To be completely honest, the Asia Cup was already dying in terms of prestige but Jay Shah ripped the bandaid off and exposed it for the farce it really is.

The future of cricket seems to me to be heading in a direction where the only relevant ODI games will be the World Cup. That may die too due to low attention spans and the rise of T20 as well as SENA countries not caring about the ODI World Cup nearly as much as we do on the subcontinent. T20 World Cup is also meaningless as purists will never accept T20s.

One day all we will have is T20 leagues around the world which make a lot of money and the only cricket people will actually care or feel pride about will be the prestigious test series like The Ashes.

Why shoot the messenger? Jay Shah was only following instructions from Indian govt.

I think some people fail to engage their brains...the 2018 tournament was held in the UAE completely, with teams travelling less than an hour before reaching either of the two stadiums.

The exact same scenario, although Sharjah was used instead of Abu Dhabi, occurred in 2022. However, if you actually bothered learning before you typed, you'd know that Pakistan were shafted again in that tournament. The first issue was covid and then Pakistan were supposed to reserve rights of holding the tournament before the ACC unilaterally decided it would be a Sri Lanka tournament...which then moved to UAE because Sri Lanka stated they could not hold the tournament themselves.

In none of those scenarios did any team have to travel 9 times, in 11 days, travelling hundreds of miles for their matches, while being hosts and having plans change last minute.

If you think otherwise, please feel free to prove me wrong with facts.

All those travel issues could have been avoided if PCB had agreed to play all matches in Sri Lanka just like 2018 and 2022 editions. Did BCCI try to schedule some of the non-Pakistan games in India in 2018?

PCB Eyes PKR 10 Billion from Asia Cup 2023, Nearing Total Revenue of All PSL Editions​

Star generated 400 cr INR ad revenue from Asia Cup

From cricketing pov
1. Indian team got good opportunity to test their first choice team before WC. They would be happy to progress of KL Rahul, Bumrah and Kishan. Gill got chance to perform in pressure game for first time in his career. Weakness in spin AR was exposed.
2. Sri Lanka has been performing well as a unit and have established themselves as strong team for WC.
3. Pakistan team managed to identify their weaknesses before WC.

Organizers would be happy in the end, not just because of revenue, but also because there was only 1 washout and ground staff did well to ensure most of the matches get maximum overs.

Also in your assessment to miss out the fact, that leading up to the second India match Pakistan had to jet between 4 different cities, not to mention the hours spent in coaches, travelling a total of 9 times (I think it was, you can check one of the other thread where me and other posters discussed this) in 11 days. That would knacker any team, let alone a team which had already been on the road for so long before the tournament.

And only the most ardent of Pakistan haters or Hindutva lovers would say the opposite of "Jay Shah Bad".

Bro these are some of the lamest excuses I've ever heard for a defeat. No offence..

Indian team routinely travels from one corner of our vast country to the other with zero complaints. One day they're playing in Guwahati and the next game is at Kochi with a one day gap....you get the idea. It's part and parcel for a modern day cricketer to be "on the road" routinely thanks to packed schedule and franchise cricket. And the funny thing is there isn't even any jet lag (main factor for travel tiredness) between Lahore/ISL and Colombo.

Bro these are some of the lamest excuses I've ever heard for a defeat. No offence..

Indian team routinely travels from one corner of our vast country to the other with zero complaints. One day they're playing in Guwahati and the next game is at Kochi with a one day gap....you get the idea. It's part and parcel for a modern day cricketer to be "on the road" routinely thanks to packed schedule and franchise cricket. And the funny thing is there isn't even any jet lag (main factor for travel tiredness) between Lahore/ISL and Colombo.

Name me the last time India they played 4 games with 9 different travel arrangements which covered multiple different cities and countries.

I'll just start my stop clock...

you havent seen my other posts regarding the Asia Cup if you truly believe what you just said. I'm fully aware and even before the start of the tournament I mentioned Pakistan lacked a quality spinner. There was and is uncertainty about Fakhar as an opener.

But as I have also said, there is an overreaction to Pakistan's losses and that there is still a lot of very good in the side, Babar is still the best all format batter on the planet, Rizwan is still one of the best keeper bats (although I was down on him pre-tournament) and the pace trio is the best in the world, although Naseem will now be injured but Wasim Jr for example is still a good bowler and averaging 25 early in his career. Not to mention Imam as a consistent opener and Ifty as a pretty decent middle/lower middle order bat who will benefit from being at 5.

I had my doubts on Jay Shah but he has earned my respect by doing great favour to associates as the ACC President.

He brought back ACC Challenge tournaments, invited the EAP associates to play the U19 Asia Cup qualifiers. He also brought back ACC Emerging nation tournament for the Men's. He increased the no of team for the Asia Cup. The ACC Emerging tournament for the Women's was also started and Women's IPL was also started by him. He also rewarded the ground men of Colombo.

Now don't judge me or my politics. I don't come here for political discussions. Everything I stated in my post is about cricket.

There are a million things to hate on Jay Shah but this Asia Cup handling is definitely not one of them.

India was never going to play in Pakistan even if the BCCI head were Ghulam Nabi Azad or Rahul Gandhi.

No ACC member (including Pakistan) would have liked to go ahead with the tournament in Pakistan without India because of obviou$ rea$on$.

Now, tell me what else could have been done differently than what was done.

Jay Shah is a disgrace, first time someone this inept has got such a big position in Indian cricket, thanks to his father. He is damaging Indian cricket the most, and yes this tournament was poorly organised.

But why bring in Siraj? What does he have to do with Jay Shah? Or his swing bowling skills? Even that is factually wrong since he has been very good in his ODI career as well as in several tests overseas.

Name me the last time India they played 4 games with 9 different travel arrangements which covered multiple different cities and countries.

I'll just start my stop clock...

Oh bhai mere....how is it anyone's fault that Pakistan had to make start stop arrangements to play 4 games?

Did anyone force Pakistan to play a bilateral against Afghanistan in SL right before the tournament?

Did anyone force Pakistan to play 2 games in 2 different venues in Pakistan?

This reminds me of that meme where a guy is riding a bicycle and he places a stick in the front wheel and falls down .. :facepalm:

But why bring in Siraj? What does he have to do with Jay Shah? Or his swing bowling skills? Even that is factually wrong since he has been very good in his ODI career as well as in several tests overseas.

In case you haven't noticed it yet, Bhai jaan is coping big time... :inzi

Just look at that "wicket looked bad in our second innings" abomination of logic. Brain cell destroying stuff this..

PCB Eyes PKR 10 Billion from Asia Cup 2023, Nearing Total Revenue of All PSL Editions

From cricketing pov
1. Indian team got good opportunity to test their first choice team before WC. They would be happy to progress of KL Rahul, Bumrah and Kishan. Gill got chance to perform in pressure game for first time in his career. Weakness in spin AR was exposed.
2. Sri Lanka has been performing well as a unit and have established themselves as strong team for WC.

Organizers would be happy in the end, not just because of revenue, but also because there was only 1 washout and ground staff did well to ensure most of the matches get maximum overs.

If this is true, this is a good thing for PCB.

@MenInG

PCB Eyes PKR 10 Billion from Asia Cup 2023, Nearing Total Revenue of All PSL Editions​

From cricketing pov

fake article. do botehr to check dates/

Oh bhai mere....how is it anyone's fault that Pakistan had to make start stop arrangements to play 4 games?

Did anyone force Pakistan to play a bilateral against Afghanistan in SL right before the tournament?

This reminds me of that meme where a guy is riding a bicycle and he places a stick in the front wheel and falls down .. :facepalm:
Asia cup should had taken place in Pakistan.

You cannot defend it being played somwhere else, as it should had been held in Pakistan and Pakistan had no issue having it played there. Issue was India and ACC President. The ACC president is required to act neutral and not be a govt tool. If you admit that Jay Shah is follow what hte BJP govt tells him than that means there is conflict of interest and Jay Shah is not capable of running an organization neutrally.

Pakistan would had made more money as every game would had sold out here. Pak India was not even sold out in Sri Lanka

Last edited by a moderator:
Asia cup should had taken place in Pakistan.

You cannot defend it being played somwhere else, as it should had been held in Pakistan and Pakistan had no issue having it played there. Issue was India and ACC President. The ACC president is required to act neutral and not be a govt tool. If you admit that Jay Shah is follow what hte BJP govt tells him than that means there is conflict of interest and Jay Shah is not capable of running an organization neutrally.

Pakistan would had made more money as every game would had sold out here. Pak India was not even sold out in Sri Lanka

Classy...

Why couldn't PCB convince the other ACC members to go ahead with the tournament in Pakistan without India? ACC presiden takes decisions only after consulting all the member boards. It's called a council for a reason...

The more rubbish like this Indian cricket board pulls the less interest remain in cricket. The way Indian board dictate their hegemony over cricket as if they only want Indians to play and watch.

People in NA, particularly Pakistani origin are barely taking any interest in cricket unless it is Pak vs India and that is not at the level it used to be because BCB acting like rotten child who wants to play with among themselves only.

NA audience have plenty of other sports to enjoy.

Classy...

Why couldn't PCB convince the other ACC members to go ahead with the tournament in Pakistan without India? ACC presiden takes decisions only after consulting all the member boards. It's called a council for a reason...
lol, I bet everyone in Indian believe in that.

Classy...

stop being ignorant.

ACC gives hosting rights, once you get hosting rights you host it. Convincing is done when bidding for hosting rights. If you had follow how sports hosting is done you would know.

After you have hosting rights you dont convince. Before saying its called a council for a reason, its better to actually have some knowledge how hosting is done before writing dumb stuff here.

ACC President wasn't neutral and played politics simple. Pakistan had hosted many international series, so they had no issue in hosting. ACC President being Indian played politics and would had tried to sabotage the whole tournament if Pakistan continued with hosting it in Pakistan.

It doesn't help that the WC is a couple weeks away with the rest of the bigger boys.

This Asia Cup was all about final touches & preparation.

The more crap like this Indian cricket board pulls the less interest remain in cricket. The way Indian board dictate their hegemony over cricket as if they only want Indians to play and watch.

People in NA, particularly Pakistani origin are barely taking any interest in cricket unless it is Pak vs India and that is not at the level it used to be because BCB acting like rotten child who wants to play with among themselves only.

NA audience have plenty of other sports to enjoy.
it's BCCI, not BCB

BCCI are giving chances to everyone, from Aus & Eng to BD & Ire.

NA Pakistanis only caring for India vs Pakistan is fault of PCB/PCT.

These are all excuses really. The fact is Pakistani fans are not able to come to terms that their team has been beaten fair & square. Hence you will see the fixing allegations, blaming Jay Shah and how their team was not well rested etc.

India travelled straight to Dubai from UK to play 2018 Asia cup. They were in UK for 2.5 months and travelled straight to the deserts of middle east and won the tournament unhinged. Srilanka also played the last Asia cup away from home and won.

As far as 'Playing some games in Pakistan and some in SL', whose idea was that? It was Najam Sethi who proposed this hybrid model and put his team under the bus. How is Jay Shah responsible for it? Indian team was NEVER going to travel Pakistan. They will not travel Pakistan during 2025 CT as well. There is absolutely nothing Jay Shah or BCCI can do about it. These decisions are made by someone way above his pay grade.

Pakistan had following options -

A) Play the entire Asia cup in Pakistan without India (that would have hurt the pockets of PCB)
B) Play the entire Asia cup in 3rd country (that would have hurt the ego of PCB)
C) Play the hybrid model (meaning more travel for team)

PCB choose the 3rd option and everyone agreed to it.

Not many in India likes Jay Shah, including me but Pakistan team travel schedules are not on him. It was due to desperate PCBs short sightedness.

stop being ignorant.

ACC gives hosting rights, once you get hosting rights you host it. Convincing is done when bidding for hosting rights. If you had follow how sports hosting is done you would know.

After you have hosting rights you dont convince. Before saying its called a council for a reason, its better to actually have some knowledge how hosting is done before writing dumb stuff here.

ACC President wasn't neutral and played politics simple. Pakistan had hosted many international series, so they had no issue in hosting. ACC President being Indian played politics and would had tried to sabotage the whole tournament if Pakistan continued with hosting it in Pakistan.

Hosting rights doesn't mean you are entitled to have all the teams playing in your backyard. It's just a token for the boards to organise a tournament and get lion's share of the revenues generated.

Rest of your post is just the usual blanket statements with the expected keywords (sabotage, politics bla bla)... If they had actually done that, PCB would never even get the hosting rights in the first place.

The decision to make Pak team travel as well have a reserved day for only the Pak-India match was taken by PCB keeping their economic interests in mind. So if anything, blame PCB for mismanagement and then ultimately boycotting the final when things didn’t go their way.

Hosting rights doesn't mean you are entitled to have all the teams playing in your backyard. It's just a token for the boards to organise a tournament and get lion's share of the revenues generated.

Rest of your post is just the usual blanket statements with the expected keywords (sabotage, politics bla bla)... If they had actually done that, PCB would never even get the hosting rights in the first place.
like i said before you dont know what hosting rights are, and how bidding for hosting rights is done. Just saying ider ke and uder ke batay.

Once someone is given hosting rights, investment gets done on those places. Proper sports organizations dont end up taking those away.

it's BCCI, not BCB

BCCI are giving chances to everyone, from Aus & Eng to BD & Ire.

NA Pakistanis only caring for India vs Pakistan is fault of PCB/PCT.
Thanks for the correction.

Yup, it sure it is, PCB refusing to stand up against BCCI.

The decision to make Pak team travel as well have a reserved day for only the Pak-India match was taken by PCB keeping their economic interests in mind. So if anything, blame PCB for mismanagement and then ultimately boycotting the final when things didn’t go their way.
Decision was forced on PCB. They had no choice.

But, agree, PCB should've grown some and boycott Asia cup and World Cup, probably would have lost millions but would have gained respect and more fans, for the long term it would have been beneficial.

like i said before you dont know what hosting rights are, and how bidding for hosting rights is done. Just saying ider ke and uder ke batay.

Once someone is given hosting rights, investment gets done on those places. Proper sports organizations dont end up taking those away.

Noone took PCB's hosting rights away. They're still going to get the biggest share of the revenues from this edition.

And lol at investments...you don't know jack shizz..this is not Olympics ...calm down.

Najam Sethi was the one who proposed the Hybrid model and was boasting about it. There were plenty of his supporters like @Sher Khan who were celebrating it as success.
Off course he did, he had choice and he chose an easy one, should've rather refused to play WCUP in India and Asia cup outside of Pakistan.

Off course he did, he had choice and he chose an easy one, should've rather refused to play WCUP in India and Asia cup outside of Pakistan.
Najam Sethi might have known that he was going to be ousted so he decided to take the easy option. PCB chairman should be allowed to complete their tenure then they would have some accountability.

You're being either naive or dishonest....obviously Pakistan were forced, Jay Shah made a unilateral decision that the Asia Cup would not take place in Pakistan. It was a domino effect from there on. You can deny it all you like, maybe one day Jay Shah will throw you a couple of rupees.

You're being either naive or dishonest....obviously Pakistan were forced, Jay Shah made a unilateral decision that the Asia Cup would not take place in Pakistan. It was a domino effect from there on. You can deny it all you like, maybe one day Jay Shah will throw you a couple of rupees.
Obviously, jay shah has made such an arrangement that we are left with no choice but to play in SL. One day we are in Pakistan, Next day we are in Sri Lanka. Not even 1 city, road travel to different venues. whatever the luxury is but to travel this frequently is bad.

Nowadays Asia cup is just a preparing tournament for ODI & T20 WC..

This is my take on the Asia Cup and as a cricket fan first, it was an absolute disaster. Watching pundits outside of Asia making a laughing stock of a tournament which didn't even know where it's matches would be played, how many reserve day there would be and last minute changes of mind make the ICC seem a reward worthy professional outfit.

A lot of this points towards one man and one ideology: a hatred for Pakistan among large sections of the Indian population which has now found itself in position of immense power.

It also points towards on problem: a lack of loyalty and backbone by all cricketing boards, in particular Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, who in the past were helped greatly by the PCB.

In the end, it was us cricket fans, not just partisan glory hunters who suffered. Two Pakistan v India clashes were mired by bad weather, when the second match was eventually completed, a large section of the ground was mired in muck and if it was any other game, it would never have gone ahead, not in a million years.

The teams also suffered, with none but India knowing where the super 4 matches would take place, with Jay Shah changing his mind over the course of two emails just 17 minutes apart.

This culminated in the worst, least intriguing finale in any major tournament the sport has ever seen. For all of the PCB walking around with egg on their face, the Sri Lankan board ended up looking worse, their players also supposedly had a bust up and the BCCI draws even more ire outside of their own circle.

This was a tournament that benefited none other than the politics and extremist ideologies of certain people, the BCCIs stranglehold over Asian cricket and ultimately did not allow their own team to grow. We all know Siraj is not a great swing bowler and the hype that is building now, as it did before 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021, will come crashing down to a very real Earth when faced against the likes of England, Australia and new Zealand, especially if they have to bat first and then try and stop teams chasing under lights in India.

It's sad because this should have been an absolute celebrate of cricket, which could have been played in a country primed, both weather wise and prep wise, allowing for the spectacle of a true Pak v India and even for the odd upset.

Let us hope the world cup, already mired in corruption and incompetence goes ahead as a cricketing tournament and not a parade of fools.
Its a meaningless tournament that Virat Kohli SKIPPED in 2018 citing workload management. Would he ever skip the World Cup or IPL due to workload Management?

And why do you make it sound like it would have been a tournament to remember for ages if held in Pakistan?
Did you look at the hot and humid weather in Pakistan? All teams would have ended up injuring their players had more matches been held in Pakistan

Plus if you are going to lock up entire cities so that a cricket match can take place then I am sorry its better if cricket is moved to a neutral venue. Even Syria can hold sporting matches the way Pakistan does.

Cricket is a SMALL part of life. There are multiple other things much more important which are are disrupted whenever a cricket match takes place in Pakistan

Its a meaningless tournament that Virat Kohli SKIPPED in 2018 citing workload management. Would he ever skip the World Cup or IPL due to workload Management?

And why do you make it sound like it would have been a tournament to remember for ages if held in Pakistan?
Did you look at the hot and humid weather in Pakistan? All teams would have ended up injuring their players had more matches been held in Pakistan

Plus if you are going to lock up entire cities so that a cricket match can take place then I am sorry its better if cricket is moved to a neutral venue. Even Syria can hold sporting matches the way Pakistan does.

Cricket is a SMALL part of life. There are multiple other things much more important which are are disrupted whenever a cricket match takes place in Pakistan
1. Just because you dont understand the impact of the Asia cup, thus it is meaningless for you. But for Pakistan it was not. If Pakistan hosted the Asia Cup in Pakistan it would had shown to ICC that they can host a tournament, thus making the Champions trophy to be easily hosted in the country.

There are alot of stake holders involved that wanna smoothen the process. By experimenting with this tournament, by the time we would host the champions trophy, we would know what problems and issues that we should solve when hosting a tournament.

2. Weather in Pakistan by september gets a bit cooler. It wasn't that hot, the weather was normal in Rawalpidi and Lahore during the dates Asia Cup was held. Only Multan was hot.

3. Never has an entire city been locked for a cricket series or tournament. Pindi has held many series, it has never been locked. Dont know where you got this false information from. When the team travels, only that route is closed for 15 mins till the team passes. THe only place that is cordoned off is the area around the stadium. Not the whole city. So plz dont spread lies here

4. Sorry, but cricket does not disrupt anything. Infact it brings more revenue and helps our players.
When an international tea comes to Pakistan, they need net bowlers. Our local clubs supply the net bowlers. THis is a big learning curve for those bowlers as they get to practice with international players.

More sponsors are availed when teams come, more ad shoots.

1. Just because you dont understand the impact of the Asia cup, thus it is meaningless for you. But for Pakistan it was not. If Pakistan hosted the Asia Cup in Pakistan it would had shown to ICC that they can host a tournament, thus making the Champions trophy to be easily hosted in the country.

There are alot of stake holders involved that wanna smoothen the process. By experimenting with this tournament, by the time we would host the champions trophy, we would know what problems and issues that we should solve when hosting a tournament.

2. Weather in Pakistan by september gets a bit cooler. It wasn't that hot, the weather was normal in Rawalpidi and Lahore during the dates Asia Cup was held. Only Multan was hot.

3. Never has an entire city been locked for a cricket series or tournament. Pindi has held many series, it has never been locked. Dont know where you got this false information from. When the team travels, only that route is closed for 15 mins till the team passes. THe only place that is cordoned off is the area around the stadium. Not the whole city. So plz dont spread lies here

4. Sorry, but cricket does not disrupt anything. Infact it brings more revenue and helps our players.
When an international tea comes to Pakistan, they need net bowlers. Our local clubs supply the net bowlers. THis is a big learning curve for those bowlers as they get to practice with international players.

More sponsors are availed when teams come, more ad shoots.
Majority of what you have written is factually incorrect

1) India would not be coming for the Champions Trophy so it will be held at a neutral venue or in a hybrid model.
4 teams visited Pakistan during the Asia Cup- the same amount that will visit for the Champions Trophy in a hybrid model. So I don't see how Asia Cup in a hybrid model affected anything.
You want to know the problems? The floodlights dont work and match has to be delayed by 15-20 minutes because of that. Cant even get the basics right and "want to know what problems may arise during the Champions Trophy" lol

2- It was really really hot in Lahore as well especially during the first innings of the matches. A lot of players would go down due to cramps and the innings took forever to finish as players would have long drink breaks in-between overs. Were you even watching the matches?

3- When Australia visited in 2022, whole cities were shut down. Even mobile services were disrupted during match day.
When you block roads as some "foreign" cricketers are passing, you stop ambulances and what not. But the value of human dignity and life cannot be found in Pakistanis anymore so there is no point debating this with you.

4- What is this obsession with net bowlers bowling to 'foreign cricketers'
When Babar and co are in Pakistan, these net bowlers can ball to them. Babar is the best all format batsman in the world, why this obsession with foreigners?
With the pathetic state of the economy, do you really think sponsors are interested anymore? Majority of the population cant even put food on the table, and sponsors know that. Multinationals are leaving Pakistan at an alarming rate, bas BOOM BOOM BUBBLE GUM hi rah jaye gei as the population would be able to afford only that. Unn sai kara lena ad shoots.

Finally, PCB only pays for the food of the THOUSANDS OF POLICE employed at the safety of the foreign teams that visit. Police are getting salary from the tax money of the public.

So directly, I am sponsoring foreign team's security and I also have to face jams and what not because of them. Kya baat hai

Majority of what you have written is factually incorrect

1) India would not be coming for the Champions Trophy so it will be held at a neutral venue or in a hybrid model.
4 teams visited Pakistan during the Asia Cup- the same amount that will visit for the Champions Trophy in a hybrid model. So I don't see how Asia Cup in a hybrid model affected anything.
You want to know the problems? The floodlights dont work and match has to be delayed by 15-20 minutes because of that. Cant even get the basics right and "want to know what problems may arise during the Champions Trophy" lol

2- It was really really hot in Lahore as well especially during the first innings of the matches. A lot of players would go down due to cramps and the innings took forever to finish as players would have long drink breaks in-between overs. Were you even watching the matches?

3- When Australia visited in 2022, whole cities were shut down. Even mobile services were disrupted during match day.
When you block roads as some "foreign" cricketers are passing, you stop ambulances and what not. But the value of human dignity and life cannot be found in Pakistanis anymore so there is no point debating this with you.

4- What is this obsession with net bowlers bowling to 'foreign cricketers'
When Babar and co are in Pakistan, these net bowlers can ball to them. Babar is the best all format batsman in the world, why this obsession with foreigners?
With the pathetic state of the economy, do you really think sponsors are interested anymore? Majority of the population cant even put food on the table, and sponsors know that. Multinationals are leaving Pakistan at an alarming rate, bas BOOM BOOM BUBBLE GUM hi rah jaye gei as the population would be able to afford only that. Unn sai kara lena ad shoots.

Finally, PCB only pays for the food of the THOUSANDS OF POLICE employed at the safety of the foreign teams that visit. Police are getting salary from the tax money of the public.

So directly, I am sponsoring foreign team's security and I also have to face jams and what not because of them. Kya baat hai
1. Champions trophy is an ICC event.
nice try about whining about the flood light, technical difficulties happen eveyrwhere in the world. If you want to have a discussion, be mature and come up with something concrete, rather than whine about floodlight issue.
If you have ever been to a cricekt match in Pakistan, they have a generator in standby at all times.

2. I dont need to watch the match, i live in the country. I know the weather conditions here. It was only hot in Multan, the rest of the cities of Pakistan have a better weather during september.

3. Plz stop spreading lies here. The whole city was never locked down. Mobile services were not dsitrupted thats anow lie. No ambulances were stopped. Another lie.

I was travelling everyday when Australia team came to Pakistan and I went to the stadium.

When the team passed by on the road, only a 15 min road block was implemented. Infact, the timings and routes of the road blocks were shared daily everday.

Mobile services were only low near the stadium, but they were not blocked. I was using my mobile while entering the stadium and inside the stadium. I remember making calls that day.

Nice try in spreading lies here, seems like you are not from Pakistan and made up a fake profile just to troll and lie around.

4. It seems like you have not played club cricket, and dont know how the club structure works.

Club bowlers get practise and recognition when they bowl to international cricketers. When you have a whole tournament, that means the services of more club bowlers are required. You are just being ignorant on purpose by making childish post that oh babar ko ball karwa dou.
These club bowlers get recognition through such practises, by not having cricket tournament in Pakistan, the future of many club cricketers got destroyed in this process.

Umm when your economy is in bad state, than how do you recover? Do you know about basic economics, or just good at making childish posts? You provide more economic oppurtunity. Having a cricket tournament creates more economic oppurtunity. More businesses are engaged, sponsors decide to show up and sponsor more events. There are multiple stakeholders involved.

You are making fun of BoomBoom bubble gum, but these companies have a big market, they tap into the rural areas and wont be seen in urban markets.

Again, better to have such knowledge about things before commenting.

As for Police salary. another naive point. Police Salary is fixed. THey dont get hired by PCB seperatly. They get paid what are they are already getting paid by the Govt of Pakistan. They dont get extra money. Also, complain about taxes when you file your income tax and pay extra taxes on income tax. The income tax slabs are very low to even cry about them on the forum. You can earn lakh ruppees per month, yet you dont have to pay income tax in Pakistan. Filing tax is not same as paying tax.

1. Champions trophy is an ICC event.
nice try about whining about the flood light, technical difficulties happen eveyrwhere in the world. If you want to have a discussion, be mature and come up with something concrete, rather than whine about floodlight issue.
If you have ever been to a cricekt match in Pakistan, they have a generator in standby at all times.

2. I dont need to watch the match, i live in the country. I know the weather conditions here. It was only hot in Multan, the rest of the cities of Pakistan have a better weather during september.

3. Plz stop spreading lies here. The whole city was never locked down. Mobile services were not dsitrupted thats anow lie. No ambulances were stopped. Another lie.

I was travelling everyday when Australia team came to Pakistan and I went to the stadium.

When the team passed by on the road, only a 15 min road block was implemented. Infact, the timings and routes of the road blocks were shared daily everday.

Mobile services were only low near the stadium, but they were not blocked. I was using my mobile while entering the stadium and inside the stadium. I remember making calls that day.

Nice try in spreading lies here, seems like you are not from Pakistan and made up a fake profile just to troll and lie around.

4. It seems like you have not played club cricket, and dont know how the club structure works.

Club bowlers get practise and recognition when they bowl to international cricketers. When you have a whole tournament, that means the services of more club bowlers are required. You are just being ignorant on purpose by making childish post that oh babar ko ball karwa dou.
These club bowlers get recognition through such practises, by not having cricket tournament in Pakistan, the future of many club cricketers got destroyed in this process.

Umm when your economy is in bad state, than how do you recover? Do you know about basic economics, or just good at making childish posts? You provide more economic oppurtunity. Having a cricket tournament creates more economic oppurtunity. More businesses are engaged, sponsors decide to show up and sponsor more events. There are multiple stakeholders involved.

You are making fun of BoomBoom bubble gum, but these companies have a big market, they tap into the rural areas and wont be seen in urban markets.

Again, better to have such knowledge about things before commenting.

As for Police salary. another naive point. Police Salary is fixed. THey dont get hired by PCB seperatly. They get paid what are they are already getting paid by the Govt of Pakistan. They dont get extra money. Also, complain about taxes when you file your income tax and pay extra taxes on income tax. The income tax slabs are very low to even cry about them on the forum. You can earn lakh ruppees per month, yet you dont have to pay income tax in Pakistan. Filing tax is not same as paying tax.
Logic has left the debate, and so would I

I am more Pakistani than you would ever be. If I was not, why would I be here? Do you think foreign people have time to waste on a Pakistani cricket forum? Lol

Pakistani fans still cant accept their team somhow finished bottom of the table.

Since it was best in the world, obviously ANY EXCUSE is better than "we are not good enough".

Hence the eulogies, tragedies and critiques of how Jay Shah somehow made a top team finisn bottom.

Nowadays Asia cup is just a preparing tournament for ODI & T20 WC..
India and SL got good batting and bowling practice in live game scenarios this Asia cup. These were probably the only 2 teams which treated Asia cup a dress rehearsal practice for their teams.
Pakistan came to win...and fans thought this was a dress rehearsal where they would see their "best bowling attack" decimate opposition and to be fair they did destroy Nepal, BD and Afg.

"Its a meaningless tournament that Virat Kohli SKIPPED in 2018 citing workload management. Would he ever skip the World Cup or IPL due to workload Management?" I didn't say the 2018 tournament was important...the 2023 tournament was as it was used as prep for the ODI CWC by all major Asian sides.

And why do you make it sound like it would have been a tournament to remember for ages if held in Pakistan? Where did I say that? But Pakistan v India would have been a much bigger spectacle in Lahore than in Colombo.

Plus if you are going to lock up entire cities so that a cricket match can take place then I am sorry its better if cricket is moved to a neutral venue. Even Syria can hold sporting matches the way Pakistan does. Literally the exact same thing happens in India, hence why a number of states could not guarantee security to the teams if some matches were played back to back. It's LITERALLY what Hyderabad stated :facepalm

Strawman much?

"Its a meaningless tournament that Virat Kohli SKIPPED in 2018 citing workload management. Would he ever skip the World Cup or IPL due to workload Management?" I didn't say the 2018 tournament was important...the 2023 tournament was as it was used as prep for the ODI CWC by all major Asian sides.

And why do you make it sound like it would have been a tournament to remember for ages if held in Pakistan? Where did I say that? But Pakistan v India would have been a much bigger spectacle in Lahore than in Colombo.

Plus if you are going to lock up entire cities so that a cricket match can take place then I am sorry its better if cricket is moved to a neutral venue. Even Syria can hold sporting matches the way Pakistan does. Literally the exact same thing happens in India, hence why a number of states could not guarantee security to the teams if some matches were played back to back. It's LITERALLY what Hyderabad stated :facepalm

Strawman much?
Then with the same logic, WORLD CUP WARM UP MATCHES WHICH WOULDN'T EVEN BE TELEVISED LIVE are also very very important.

Please get one thing in your head, India is not coming to Pakistan. When a 3 time Prime Minister admits that Mumbai attacks were carried out by Pakistan, you expect them to come to your country to play a cricket match?

Please. In India, whole cities are not locked up before a cricket match. Plus, all relevant states are getting to host matches. Unlike Pakistan, where 2 out of 4 provinces cant even comprehend hosting an international match

Back