How the most vocal critics of Pakistan Cricket, Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim lost us two games directly in the World T20 2024

I've been a fan of this forum for ages, having created my profile over a decade ago. Like everyone here, I'm passionate about the cricket team. However, I've spent much of my 37 years living under the delusion that we are a powerful force in world cricket. Apart from the 90s or early 2000s, we've been good in clusters but never able to develop a cohesive unit.

From 2000-2001 under Moin Khan, transitioning to Waqar Younis' captaincy, we saw the 2003 World Cup fiasco. Between 2005-2007, up until the World Cup, we had a decent side, but the absence of key players (Akhtar and Asif) upset the balance. then from 2007- 2011, our squad wasn't special, but the trio spin attack of Ajmal, Afridi, and Hafeez, along with peak Umar Gul, was formidable. From that point, our ODI strategy of preserving wickets and attacking in the last 10 overs became outdated, especially in World Cups and it continued in the T20 tournaments too.

There was hope when Sarfaraz became captain and, with Mickey Arthur, rallied the team to win the 2017 Champions Trophy. They found form in the 2019 World Cup but were thwarted by rain and a poor start against the Windies. However, from 2019 to the 2022 T20 World Cup, Babar Azam and his team showed promise, notably beating India by 10 wickets. This momentum carried into the 2022 World Cup.

Despite winning most bilateral series, criticism against Babar and Rizwan's strike rates from ex-players started affecting the team. After losing the 2022 T20 final to England, Babar's confidence seemed to wane. The pressure and criticism have brought him down. The team now appears divided, with factions within the squad.

In the recent World Cup, the defeat against the USA wasn't just due to Haris Rauf's last over or Mohammad Amir's super over, but also Babar's slow start. His 9 runs off 23 deliveries set a poor tone. In the match against India, after bowling them out for 120, I knew we'd struggle if Babar and Rizwan didn't score early. Our conservative approach in the powerplay again cost us.

- Babar Azam should resign as captain to focus on his power and fitness.
- Mohammad Rizwan is likely to become the next captain.
- Shaheen Shah Afridi needs to be dropped; he's become too predictable without his extra pace.
- Haris Rauf should be a rotation player and play more first-class cricket to improve consistency.
- Mohammad Amir might retire after the World Cup or continue until the next Champions Trophy.
- Imad Wasim needs to improve his fitness.
- Naseem Shah is my favorite player; he genuinely cares about the team.
- Iftikhar Ahmed's place in the squad is puzzling.
- Shadab Khan needs to work on his bowling, possibly abroad.
- Azam Khan should reconsider his role in the team.
- Saim Ayub really needs to work on his game, been given lots of chances yet he keeps failing over and over again, i do believe he can comeback into the side.

the team needs a full detox and lots of faces must be replaced, so many passengers in the squad, no middle order and it continues to get worst.

We've all contributed to the team's downfall – ex-players, YouTubers, analysts, the cricket board, and management. It's time for a significant change in mindset and strategy to move forward.
Half of the squad needs to be dropped but there are no replacements available .They have not given enough chances to young players to phase the old ones,they keep on playing the seniors even after their worst performances. They have genuine spinner abrar in the squad but they played shadab probably the worst all rounder going around.
I have seen enough pak cricket, nothing is going to change, they will drop azam khan, ifti,usman.They will not any changes other than that.

Amir and Imad cost Pakistan a place in the Super Eight. As I correctly predicted before, their returns will prove to be nothing but a grand waste of time.

A complete waste of time.

Both will be remembered (respectively) for the worst Super Over in history & one of the worst innings in T20I history.

But but but but but but but but but Amir is mentally strong, experienced and keeps his cool under pressure. He is a must for the World Cup.

But but but but but but but but but Imad is mentally strong, intelligent and a greater reader of the game. He will be vital for Pakistan when it comes to chasing targets and he is a must for the World Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Amir was one of the better bowlers from Pakistan in this world T20. Shaheen was the most ineffective bowler. Rauf second most. Bowled the most dot balls for Pakistan

Screenshot-2024-06-15-110932.jpg

The fact remains that Babar is the ONLY captain in Pakistan history to beat India in a World Cup.
You just like to take a position opposite of every Pakistani.

If thats all Babar will be remembered for, that’s still lower than Joginder Sharma (Police officer now), having bigger fame for the last over win of the tournament.

If thats all Babar will be remembered for, that’s still lower than Joginder Sharma (Police officer now), having bigger fame for the last over win of the tournament.
Babar will be remembered as arguably the greatest all-format Pakistani batsman.

He doesn’t need the validation of random PPers. God Has given him this status.

It’s called wannabe contrarian syndrome. Gets boring.

If the whole forum was “Babar is king” then he’ll have a vendetta against Babar too.

Yada yada ya

Yawn yawn

Amir proved who the best bowler in Pakistan currently is.

Prove me wrong. Name me one pak bowler in the tournament who bowled better than Amir - this will be interesting if you understand what I mean.

Prove me wrong. Name me one pak bowler in the tournament who bowled better than Amir - this will be interesting if you understand what I mean.
None of that changes the fact that Amir bowled the worst Super Over in history and no one of the other pacers would have bowled 3 wides and conceded 19 runs.

Amir humiliated himself and his supporters who waxed lyrical about his mentality, experience and so-called ability to rise to the occasion under pressure. All of that proved to be a joke when he was trusted with the Super Over.

I hope he and his fans can enjoy the MOM vs Canada after he killed off Pakistan’s chances of getting past the group stage.

Name one Pakistani batsman better than Babar.

None of that changes the fact that Amir bowled the worst Super Over in history and no one of the other pacers would have bowled 3 wides and conceded 19 runs.

Amir humiliated himself and his supporters who waxed lyrical about his mentality, experience and so-called ability to rise to the occasion under pressure. All of that proved to be a joke when he was trusted with the Super Over.

I hope he and his fans can enjoy the MOM vs Canada after he killed off Pakistan’s chances of getting past the group stage.
We’re not going in circles son. Try harder

Babar will be remembered as arguably the greatest all-format Pakistani batsman.

He doesn’t need the validation of random PPers. God Has given him this status.
No he won't, mate...he will be known as a bottler who was appointed Kuptaan twice, only to fail again in a more humiliating fashion...it is a shame as that match against the Kiwis in the 2019 World Cup where he steered us home (alongside Haris) on a very tricky pitch, I was like, we finally have that gun batsman that we have been looking for...then again, beating India by 10 wickets in a World Cup...but it proved to be a false dawn...maybe if he never been appointed Kuptaan it might have been a different story...though even when he went down under as player only, he was outscored by the likes of Shaan Masood...

No he won't, mate...he will be known as a bottler who was appointed Kuptaan twice, only to fail again in a more humiliating fashion...it is a shame as that match against the Kiwis in the 2019 World Cup where he steered us home (alongside Haris) on a very tricky pitch, I was like, we finally have that gun batsman that we have been looking for...then again, beating India by 10 wickets in a World Cup...but it proved to be a false dawn...maybe if he never been appointed Kuptaan it might have been a different story...though even when he went down under as player only, he was outscored by the likes of Shaan Masood...
Even with all the issues Babar has still performed better than most Pakistani batsmen in the World Cup and he would at least get another shot. Inzamam (bar one innings), yousuf and Younis Kham all failed big time in the World Cups.

Even with all the issues Babar has still performed better than most Pakistani batsmen in the World Cup and he would at least get another shot. Inzamam (bar own innings), yousuf and Younis Kham all failed big time in the World Cups.
Younis Khan led us to the 2009 T20 World Cup (I was present at Lords)...Inzy of course made his name in our first ever World Cup win..btw I am not saying Babar should be removed from the team...he just isn't a leader of men but I am afraid that his ego has gotten the better of him...

Also, while not the World Cups, I have been going to watch Pakistan play in the UK since the 90s and have seen the names mentioned above score centuries (I was there in the ground when both MoYo and YK scored their double centuries). I have yet to see Babar emulate them with such a feat on foreign soil....

As for an all format giant, even his biggest fanboy that is Michael Vaugh was saying after watching his fall from grace that he would not start in the playing 11 for any of big T20 teams that is Australia, India or England....

Younis Khan led us to the 2009 T20 World Cup (I was present at Lords)...Inzy of course made his name in our first ever World Cup win..btw I am not saying Babar should be removed from the team...he just isn't a leader of men but I am afraid that his ego has gotten the better of him...

Also, while not the World Cups, I have been going to watch Pakistan play in the UK since the 90s and have seen the names mentioned above score centuries (I was there in the ground when both MoYo and YK scored their double centuries). I have yet to see Babar emulate them with such a feat on foreign soil....

As for an all format giant, even his biggest fanboy that is Michael Vaugh was saying after watching his fall from grace that he would not start in the playing 11 for any of big T20 teams that is Australia, India or England....
It must be a great feeling witnessing that! I was talking about ODI World Cups. Inzi had such significant failures since 1992 that it's unbelievable. The 1996, 1999, 2003, and 2007 World Cups were all disappointments. Yousuf and Younis Khan failed in the 2003, 2007, and (in Younis Khan's case) the 2011 World Cups.

Yousuf was easily the best Test batsman Pakistan has produced since the late '80s (though Saeed Anwar might have surpassed him had he remained fit). However, it took Yousuf some time to get into his stride. If you compare Yousuf and Babar Azam side by side at the same point in their careers, you won't see a significant difference. Yousuf's average was slightly higher with two more centuries, but his averages in England and Australia were 21 and 35, respectively. The double hundreds you are referring to came later in his career.

Of course, this doesn’t mean Babar Azam’s career will follow the same trajectory; it only means that scoring overseas isn't easy and Babar is not that far off from where the greats of Pakistan were. I do believe Yousuf is superior to Babar in terms of technique, and given how little Test cricket Pakistan plays, I don't think Babar will surpass Yousuf.

I’m not comparing him to Kohli or Viv Richards or Sachin. The bar is not that high for Pakistani batsmen & it is not like other Pakistani batsmen have uprooted trees in tournaments.

I mean, Inzamam was a failure in every World Cup after 1992, the likes of Yousuf hardly performed in any World Cups & Younis was very average in Limited Overs.

Babar falls behind the likes of Miandad right now for sure, but he is already a Pakistan batting great even though he has 6-7 years of cricket left & and he has all the time in the world to eclipse Miandad.

People are going overboard with their criticism. You can have a problem with his captaincy & squad selection, but that doesn’t change the fact that he is a premium batsman.

I wouldn't care too much about what Vaughan says. He was a bang average batsman and a bang average commentator/analyst who is mostly wrong & also tries to stir the pot too much & troll.

Babar is a much better batsman than he could have ever hoped to be & he doesn’t need his validation.

Validation of former batting greats is important for sure. Babar needs to listen if the likes of Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Sangakkara, Gavaskar etc. say something, but Vaughan is a nobody.

Amir was terrific against Canada. He was our best bowler in that game for sure.

He bowled with real pace and venom.

Their taxi drivers and shop keeper batsmen were really hopping around.

It's a shame that he lost the plot against the software devs of the US team.

It was the batter's fault that we lost 2 games in a row that should have been won easily. Bowlers dod their job 90% of time leaving that super over apart obviously. AMir should have done better there but there is no doubt, he bowled much better than others overall.

Imad and iffi lost us the India game and that is reality. Those who don't want to accept it have no idea about cricket

Once in a while, associate nations do cause upsets, and that's fine. Loosing to an association nation can happen to any of the big teams on a bad day. Problem isn't that for Pakistan. Problem is Pakistan lost to Ireland and then after a couple of matches, lost to US again (in between two matches to England). If a team is going to loose 4-5 matches in a row and two of those against minnows, then it's a serious issue and not just bad luck.

Amir was terrific against Canada. He was our best bowler in that game for sure.

He bowled with real pace and venom.

Their taxi drivers and shop keeper batsmen were really hopping around.

It's a shame that he lost the plot against the software devs of the US team.
Wasn’t too shabby vs India aswell eh? But inconvenient for your to mention it because it goes against the narrative

Imad Wasim Speaking during the Pakistan vs Ireland pre-match presser:

"I let down because usually when I go in this situation, I am very calm and finish the job. And this was my job to finish which I couldn't do. I will regret this and I still regret it. But this is life. Sometimes you make mistakes. But life is like that, sometimes you make mistakes. So, you can say that this was a phase in my life that I unfortunately could not achieve. I will regret it, but my execution was not good."

Wasn’t too shabby vs India aswell eh? But inconvenient for your to mention it because it goes against the narrative
Even you wouldn’t have been too shabby on the NY pitch.

Amir’s World Cup & his comeback will be remembered for the worst Super Over in history.

No narrative lol I just showed you what game he was the best in.

Naseem outbowled him against India and Haris too ( backed up by CI impact ratings).

So really his world cup is.

1. Complete and utter flop in a crunch situation against US.
2. 'Wasn't too shabby ' against India
3. Amazing against Canadian part timers.

Its overall poor to average at best.

Maybe he can take 5 against Ireland to make you happy. I guess suddenly performances against minnows will start to count.....

And yes he has been better than Shaheen.

Imad Wasim Speaking during the Pakistan vs Ireland pre-match presser:

"I let down because usually when I go in this situation, I am very calm and finish the job. And this was my job to finish which I couldn't do. I will regret this and I still regret it. But this is life. Sometimes you make mistakes. But life is like that, sometimes you make mistakes. So, you can say that this was a phase in my life that I unfortunately could not achieve. I will regret it, but my execution was not good."
You didn’t even try mate, your attitude stunk throughout your innings, you didn’t even try to improvise, you just tried the same shot over and over and failed!

It was the batter's fault that we lost 2 games in a row that should have been won easily. Bowlers dod their job 90% of time leaving that super over apart obviously. AMir should have done better there but there is no doubt, he bowled much better than others overall.

Imad and iffi lost us the India game and that is reality. Those who don't want to accept it have no idea about cricket
Why Imad and Iffi?

When you're chasing 120 off 120 balls, what were the openers doing in the powerplay? Sleeping?

Other teams are chasing 40 in 3 overs, but the best openers, Rizwan and Babar, took it to the 17th over for Imad to finish. 🤣

These type of people pray for pakistan lose so they could make post upon post to say

"I'm a cricket genius I told you so amir and imad are rubbish"

I love the tears of Amir and Imad fans. They can’t accept the fact that their saviors were humiliated & will clutch at every straw in sight to shift the blame.

We all know what they would have said had Hassan Ali bowled the 19 runs Super Over vs USA and Nawaz had played the innings vs India that Imad did.

They spent 3 months propagating the propaganda the Amir and Imad are mentally strong match winners who will uplift the team in the World Cup, only for them to lose two matches for Pakistan that led to their elimination. :klopp

These type of people pray for pakistan lose so they could make post upon post to say

"I'm a cricket genius I told you so amir and imad are rubbish"
I am no different to these type of people. I admit I want Pakistan to lose every time I see a team sheet with Babar and Rizwan opening

I just can’t pretend to want them to win.

No. They must lose. They must be humiliated

I am no different to these type of people. I admit I want Pakistan to lose every time I see a team sheet with Babar and Rizwan opening

I just can’t pretend to want them to win.

No. They must lose. They must be humiliated
Yes but we aren't pretending to be well wishers now.

We outright admitted to s boycott as soon as Misbah came back as coach, Babar became captain and rizwan is the secret face of the company

Yes but we aren't pretending to be well wishers now.

We outright admitted to s boycott as soon as Misbah came back as coach, Babar became captain and rizwan is the secret face of the company
Tbh, I tried to support it for a bit…just wasn’t possible from within. Can’t help it anymore.

I like Pakistan’s bowlers. I want their lower middle order to do well because they have a thankless job considering the top order does them no favours

Apart from that, sorry mate you do not deserve to win when you outright neglect the need to adapt

The best thing that has happened for Pakistan cricket in this World Cup was that the myths & exaggerations surrounding Amir & Imad have been exposed.

Back