"I am hopeful of making a comeback if I get enough support from senior players": Umar Akmal

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"I am hopeful of making a comeback if I get enough support from senior players": Umar Akmal

In an interview:

"I am hopeful of making a comeback. If I get enough support from people and senior players, I will be back in the national side. The question of fitness not being up to the mark arises when a batter's running between the wickets is not good or if he isn't able to field for all the overs."

"They should see ground fitness. You can confirm this with my coach. I have kept wickets for all overs and have been running the singles and doubles well too"

"If I am not meeting the required fitness standards, call me to the NHPC and give me an opportunity to work with the trainers. If they don't want to call me to the academy, then at least a trainer could provide me with a plan I would hire a personal trainer for myself then and work accordingly.

"Three weeks are enough to improve a player's fitness. My ground fitness is fine, but they have told me that my body isn't how they want it to be."

On keeping wickets for Central Punjab's second XI side, Akmal said, "Our head coach Imran Farhat had told me that I will need to keep the wickets for the second XI matches. Be it club cricket or the Pakistan team, I am always willing to do what the team needs from me."

Last edited:
14 years ago, Akmal’s “senior players” were the likes of YK and Shahid Afridi. Today his senior players are Rizwan and Shaheen. Between these years, Akmal didn’t grow at all.

Looks like Umar's showing some signs of willing to learn and improve. That's one encouraging thing. But I fear his time may have gone.

Looks like Umar's showing some signs of willing to learn and improve. That's one encouraging thing. But I fear his time may have gone.

Nothing like that. This is the usual PR put out by failing Pakistani cricketers. Don't fall for it.

What a joke

There are no senior players. He is the most senior from the current lot. What a sad state of affairs that the ones that came after him are his seniors and he still want to rely on them.

Also, he is still not ready to accept his fitness it bad. He is still stuck in the thought process that i can run between wickets and field so my fitness is good....

Bhai, you are an athelete, you earn money from it. To improve fitness, you dont need access to NCA. Going to NCA is your own pride and show off, now that you cant enter it hurts your ego and makes you come across just another domestic cricketer.

Thats like me saying i will only improve if i get to work in so and so office.

The guys mentality hasnt changed....

Its also poor stuff from domestic tteams that they are making unfit cricketers their wicket keepers now

This seems to be the last throw of the die for Umar - he wants to capitalize on the current spate of bad results for Pakistan and throw in his name.

Same signals coming from Amir.

They told him his body isn’t how they want it to be, whilst taking Azam Khan to England…lol.

Pakistan cricket can continue changing coaches, chief selectors, selection committee, chairmen etc and it won’t make a difference, the PCB will always be a laughing stock.

It is pathetic that Umar Akmal still walks into the side even years after he was dumped because Pakistan has still not found his replacement.

They told him his body isn’t how they want it to be, whilst taking Azam Khan to England…lol.

Pakistan cricket can continue changing coaches, chief selectors, selection committee, chairmen etc and it won’t make a difference, the PCB will always be a laughing stock.

Players like him make the national team a laughing stock

How hard is to sort out your fitness, stay away from controversies and pile on runs domestically and improve your game?

Hes become a joke a meme So sad to see

My ground fitness is fine, but they have told me that my body isn't how they want it to be."

Injuries are part and parcel of any sport but there is no excuse for not looking after yourself and maintaining your fitness levels.

In such cases there is only one person to blame and that is the player himself.

Any player in the current team who made his debut before him?
Who are the senior players is he talking about?

Score runs in the domestic and tons of them , you definitely will get noticed. Our t20 team can definitely use you but earn your spot with performance instead of media statements.

He is better than a lot of batters consider power-hitters.

With that being said, his Intl. career should very much be finished.

May be if he shows some performances in PSL next year, he can be seen in team sooner than later

What a joke

There are no senior players. He is the most senior from the current lot. What a sad state of affairs that the ones that came after him are his seniors and he still want to rely on them.

Also, he is still not ready to accept his fitness it bad. He is still stuck in the thought process that i can run between wickets and field so my fitness is good....

Bhai, you are an athelete, you earn money from it. To improve fitness, you dont need access to NCA. Going to NCA is your own pride and show off, now that you cant enter it hurts your ego and makes you come across just another domestic cricketer.

Thats like me saying i will only improve if i get to work in so and so office.

The guys mentality hasnt changed....

Its also poor stuff from domestic tteams that they are making unfit cricketers their wicket keepers now

Every player in domestic should be going throw tests to see how thier fitness is and if they don't maintain it then they should get a domestic contract.

Funny thing is that his head coach is Imran Farhat. Is this the same Imran Farhat that tormented us all those years or is this someone different

The problem is that players who are not fit enough are still selected in domestic cricket.

The rules should be that if you fail the fitness then you should not be picked until such a time that you pass the test.

You only have to watch domestic cricket to see that some of the players would struggle to make an over 40s team.

If Akmal is scoring runs then I don't see any reason for him not to hope of a comeback. Misbah returned to the side at the age of 33 and we all know what he did after that.

So the door should never be closed for anyone. Yes, if he can work on his fitness and score runs, then surely he must be looked at because Pakistan's middle order is very very fragile and atm it is wide open.

If Akmal is scoring runs then I don't see any reason for him not to hope of a comeback. Misbah returned to the side at the age of 33 and we all know what he did after that.

So the door should never be closed for anyone. Yes, if he can work on his fitness and score runs, then surely he must be looked at because Pakistan's middle order is very very fragile and atm it is wide open.

I think he can get to a basic level of fitness, IF theoretically he was going to Oz. It was never *just* that though, was it. It was a repeated pattern of self destructive behaviour that did for Umar. He’s still, on talent alone, the best middle order bat in the country. But his effect on the dressing room and team camaraderie, a vital intangible, may be detrimental.

Still wants to be cuddled. No wonder he's in this position.

Looking for a Doctors opinion, can epilepsy medication result in weight gain? Umar Akmal is known to suffer from epilepsy.

Players like him make the national team a laughing stock

How hard is to sort out your fitness, stay away from controversies and pile on runs domestically and improve your game?

Hes become a joke a meme So sad to see

How, because of his fitness? How’s his fitness any different to Sharma and Pant?

What controversies?

How, because of his fitness? How’s his fitness any different to Sharma and Pant?

What controversies?

He is probably a much better boundary rider than Khushdil and Shan. I never saw him drop any catches on the boundary

No one sees Umar as a test cricketer anymore. His shot selection is evidence of that. When you have bad fitness on top discourages people from thinking you can last over 5 days. His average is not bad in domestic, but there are players with higher averages, and younger than him.

In limited overs he has to dominate to earn a callback. The best place is PSL, or other domestic leagues around the world. He hasn’t done that, he’s done one good innings but it’s not enough. He will probably get his chance again to do this.

Umar Akmal has had enough chances and is the age that you can not pick him on talent anymore. The Umar Akmal of past with fitness on the whole wasn’t good enough for international cricket except for the beginning of his career in 2008/09. Now he doesn’t have fitness anymore, if he hasn’t improved he will naturally be a worse player than he was before which already wasn’t good enough. He’s got to show in some capacity he has improved, all we know for sure right now is there is one thing that has got worse, his fitness.

It’s still in his hands really though, perform in PSL and I think he’ll earn a call up regardless.

Wasn't picked to play in the National T20 Cup and has been playing 2nd XI tournaments and not exactly doing great in those either.

32 years old now - I think Umar will just have to stick to a few years of domestic cricket in future.

Having made his debut in 2009, think he is one of the most senior professionals around the circuit now.

Most teams would still be scared if he walks in the middle than the Ifthakars and Asif Ali’s of the world. Ifthikar is not that bad though. Apart from the age jokes, looks like a solid utility t20
Cricketer.

Will never get picked sethi damned him when he let out his medical that umar suffers from epilepsy and needs psychiatric treatment

No pcb chairman or selector will risk selecting him same way abid ali is never coming back

As usual akmal not making any sense. He struggled in 2nd 11 cricket. No thanks let’s not talk about his fitness and his past.

Kamraan Akmal is to blame for his ruined career. Unlike Kamraan he actually had the talent to succeed at the highest level but the precedent his brother set of being the worst batsman to ever play consistently for Pakistan to go along with his atrocious keeping, rubbish fitness and stinking attitude was the example Umar had.

Wait this guy still thinks he can play international cricket when he's struggling to perform for the 2nd elevens in domestic?! Talk about deluded!

can't be any worse than the rest currently playing

that being said
if he isn't performing in domestic
he shouldn't be playing

he is a waste of talent
mistreated by misbah and a few other higher up, and himself mainly too.

Akmal/Maqsood/Sohail

3 names that were meant to do something but fizzled away

"I am hopeful of making a comeback. If I get enough support from people and senior players”

The sad part is that these seniors were his juniors.

His inconsistent performances and poor attitude aside, his loyalty to his brothers also derailed his career.

Between 2012-2014, Pakistan did not have an established keeper. Kamran was out of favor, Sarfraz was very poor and Adnan a borderline tail-ender.

Umar had plenty of opportunities to cement himself as a regular keeper and cement his place in the side but he was always reluctant because he wanted to keep the door open for his brothers.

can't be any worse than the rest currently playing

that being said
if he isn't performing in domestic
he shouldn't be playing

he is a waste of talent
mistreated by misbah and a few other higher up, and himself mainly too.

Akmal/Maqsood/Sohail

3 names that were meant to do something but fizzled away

This is it in essence, not being part of Misbah's clique hurt him badly as well as his own shenanigans.

Looking for a Doctors opinion, can epilepsy medication result in weight gain? Umar Akmal is known to suffer from epilepsy.

Not a doctor but a pharmacist so see antiepileptics dispensed all the time. Depends what he's taking, but sodium valproate and carbamazepine are the ones most likely to cause weight gain.

However with proper exercise and nutrition, that can be managed.

Umar Akmal should rely on performances not seniors doing him a favour. Last season he averaged 11, 19 and 20 in QEA, Pakistan Cup and National T20 respectively so that should give him some clue why he's sitting on bench.

More from Umar Akmal on National T20 Cup:

"I was told to play a first few matches in second XI and then I will be promoted to first XI. The whole tournament passed away and no one approached me"

"When the half tournament was over and we went to Multan for the second phase, I contacted Nadeem Bhai, Razzaq Bhai and our chief selector Mohammad Wasim. I got no response from them".

"I wanted to play in the first XI tournament. I could have performed and prove myself to make my case stronger, especially for PSL selection"

More from Umar Akmal on National T20 Cup:

"I was told to play a first few matches in second XI and then I will be promoted to first XI. The whole tournament passed away and no one approached me"

"When the half tournament was over and we went to Multan for the second phase, I contacted Nadeem Bhai, Razzaq Bhai and our chief selector Mohammad Wasim. I got no response from them".

"I wanted to play in the first XI tournament. I could have performed and prove myself to make my case stronger, especially for PSL selection"

Corrupt PCB

How is he not better than Haider Ali in this form?

"I am hopeful of making a comeback. If I get enough support from people and senior players”

His inconsistent performances and poor attitude aside, his loyalty to his brothers also derailed his career.

Between 2012-2014, Pakistan did not have an established keeper. Kamran was out of favor, Sarfraz was very poor and Adnan a borderline tail-ender.

Umar had plenty of opportunities to cement himself as a regular keeper and cement his place in the side but he was always reluctant because he wanted to keep the door open for his brothers.

Maybe they threatened him?

Last edited:
The likes of him, Shehzad, Amir, etc... need to stay as far as possible from the dressing room.

Apart from their crap performances and poor fitness levels, these guys are toxic individuals capable of ruining the team with the groupings they will create within the team.

It indeed is a miracle how Babar managed to distance himself from his unprofesionnal and toxic cousins and become the cricketer he is today.

As far as Umar is concerned, he probably played way too many games than he deserved. The PCB took a lot of time to realise that this man is still a child in his head, and he is not changing anytime soon.

He got his chances, in fact way too many chances just because the media and fans were in awe of his supposed "talent".

I hope we have seen the last of him in a Pakistan jersey. He has only himself to blame for this situation.

Not the PCB, not Misbah, not his brothers, only him.

Sharjeel and Azam - both are liabilities in the field.

Unless they are scoring 100 in every game they play, the danger of these 2 costing us a tight game because they cant cover the ground is too much of a risk.

Corrupt PCB

How is he not better than Haider Ali in this form?

What form?
In 6 games in the second XI national t20, he scored a total of 89 runs, with a highest score of 32. All of this at a s/r of 107. Again, this is in the 2nd XI competition. How is he better than Haider Ali in this form?

What form?
In 6 games in the second XI national t20, he scored a total of 89 runs, with a highest score of 32. All of this at a s/r of 107. Again, this is in the 2nd XI competition. How is he better than Haider Ali in this form?

Haider Ali is not better than him

Now
Or ever.

Haider Ali is not better than him

Now
Or ever.

Its 2022 Umar Akmal is playing 2nd XI domestic competition and failing

Says everying about how good he is

Its 2022 Umar Akmal is playing 2nd XI domestic competition and failing

Says everying about how good he is

He is still better than Haider Ali and Shan Masood

Says everything about the direction taken by the PCB

He is still better than Haider Ali and Shan Masood

Says everything about the direction taken by the PCB

Based on what fact? What he did 12 years ago?

This ship has long sailed Best you accept it n move on

Waste of time.
and coach?
Waste of time before him.

Spot on with last paragraph. The idiot played politics and paid a heavy price

What a shame, he was definitely very very talented but his attitude just stinks and continues to stink. You're visibly obese, as harsh as it sounds there's no point being in denial and face the reality. Hard work pays off

Sharjeel and Azam - both are liabilities in the field.

Unless they are scoring 100 in every game they play, the danger of these 2 costing us a tight game because they cant cover the ground is too much of a risk.

Isn't Azam Khan playing as a keeper in the CPL

He has been poor in 2nd XI NT20 Cup. Not surprised, they didn't call him into the 1st XI.

This seems to be the last throw of the die for Umar - he wants to capitalize on the current spate of bad results for Pakistan and throw in his name.

Same signals coming from Amir.
Umar Akmal and Mohammed Amir are still far far superior to the batsmen and bowlers except 3-4 of them in the present Pakistan team.

Umar Akmal and Mohammed Amir are still far far superior to the batsmen and bowlers except 3-4 of them in the present Pakistan team.

No they are not. The guys in the team are not good but to suggest UA, who can't even get into a provincial team is better is absolute nonsense. Amir retired because he wanted to be an automatic choice and he is simply not good enough. He isn't better than any of the guys that played

If only these guys could perform as often as they run their mouth.

Your bat has to do the talking. He has not set domestic cricket on fire.

Are there any recent physical pictures of this guy? How's he looking?

I'd be surprised if he was presenting like anything other than Sharjeel's twin and that's with knowing nothing about him since his comeback.

Umar is just telling us he's still around. He missed the train big time now it's too late. Talent without discipline is nothing at all.

The sheer audacity of him having such wet dreams should give you a slight indication of his IQ and mental caliber.

He needs to see a good psychiatrist, IMO.

Treated like a slogger, when he was easily the best white ball player and made to play at 6.

Made a plea to be given his chance in the middle order, but did not happen.

Now, Pak are in a desperate, dire need of a quick scoring batsman in the middle overs.

Karma can be a......

Posters here are acting as if we have a solid middle order lol…literally anyone could walk into this team.

Posters here are acting as if we have a solid middle order lol…literally anyone could walk into this team.

We don’t have solid middle order. But the thing is , that chacha, asif and Khushdil atleast were performing in domestic so they got their chance. Umar Akmal can not even perform in the 2nd XI in domestic, that man is washed and shouldnt be near Pakistan team ever.

We don’t have solid middle order. But the thing is , that chacha, asif and Khushdil atleast were performing in domestic so they got their chance. Umar Akmal can not even perform in the 2nd XI in domestic, that man is washed and shouldnt be near Pakistan team ever.

Cool, so you’re saying that you have to perform in domestic cricket before you get selected for Pakistan.

What did Azam Khan do that saw him getting picked for the England tour?

Treated like a slogger, when he was easily the best white ball player and made to play at 6.

Made a plea to be given his chance in the middle order, but did not happen.

Now, Pak are in a desperate, dire need of a quick scoring batsman in the middle overs.

Karma can be a......

You mean the guy who now is more wide than tall is going to "magically" bring about a middle order revolution.

Might as well call up Kamran to open also.

Umar Akmal is officially 32 (I am not sure if this is his real age).

So, he can technically still make a comeback; just like Fawad Alam.

Umar Akmal is officially 32 (I am not sure if this is his real age).

So, he can technically still make a comeback; just like Fawad Alam.

Don't compare the chubby obese fixer to fawad alam, the latter had a decade of domestic performances to merit a comeback.

Umar Akmal in comparison is struggling in the second eleven competition right now. He was a flop in the USA league as well.

I feel for him.

He should have been sent in earlier than Hafeez and Iftikhar but seems that the seniors society in QG taking care of Umar.

Totally Agreed . They dropped him most of the time and then sent him at 7 for most of the games except this one where he came at 6. At least give him a go

Yes, Umer Akmal was wasted and denied his chances. Kept on the bench and then when he played, they played him too low. He looked good in his little stays, could have made a bigger impact.

Somehow I feel PSL franchisee are not serious about winning, I have seen a lot of casual stuff.

Still a better ball striker than Iftikhar, Asif, Nawaz and Khushdil

He should be in Pakistan’s team if those boys are

None of Asif, Nawaz, Khushdil will ever be selected again for Pakistan. Iftimania is standing on thin ice following his PSL failure this year.

Umar Akmal was done and dusted long time ago. He will only get into my good books by playing a full domestic season and scoring tons of runs. He should play in the second XI if thats the spot he gets. No excuses.

He’s a better powerplay batsman than most he can hit over the top against the fast bowlers but he won’t be selected as a few young batsmen will be tried out it looks like.

It's astonishing how such a talent got wasted! Not Babar, this guy was the true wonder boy, the next big thing. Things would have been massively different if he was born in Ind/Eng/Aus. He would have been properly groomed, disciplined, educated & most importantly allowed to play with natural aggression instead of getting restrained by typical 90's mentality.

I hope common sense prevails and Iftikhar is dropped for good. Asif Ali can't be accommodated merely for facing 10-12 deliveries.

Khushdil shouldn't be playing in the PSL let alone for Pakistan.

We do need Nawaz but he should be played as a spin bowling all-rounder.

Imad on the other hand should be selected as a lower middle order batsman but I have a horrible feeling that Babar will do everything in his power to exclude if he remains as captain. This is one of the very reasons why he needs to be axed from the side.

8 sixes in 51 balls, and he was 100% playing for the team wherever asked to bat

Guy is still good enough for Pakistan. Nothing wrong with having him as you number 6-7 keeper batsman

How can you have UA playing for Pak again? At best he is a 10 ball inning player. He is unfit and cant even run.

Back