"I am proud to be mentioned in the same breath as the great Sachin Tendulkar" : Asad Shafiq

Comparisons with greats, whether it be with Sachin or anyone else, never do any young cricketer any good.

What an innings he’s playing here. Stopped following the score after Pakistan went 5 down because I thought they had no chance but now this.......

There will only ever be one Teenda. Dont think Shafiq has even one MOM award which is proof of his lack of impact in games
He got mom in Australia, Brisbane (based on 4th innings century)

Problem with him is CONSISTENCY, he is capable of producing once in a while great knock.

A few shots he played today reminded me of the great Sachin Tendulkar. But yea that is where it ends as well. He needs to produce more for the team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Asad Shafiq 140 off 110 balls (14x4s, 3x6s) as Karachi Region Whites beat Rawalpindi Region by 7 wickets in the National One-Day Cup (Regions) <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/957242732552040448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Scored 145 off 116 balls in a huge partnership with Khurram Manzoor. He hit 1 maximum as well as 21 fours.

I hope he can take this form into the next test series. Like him as a player but his inconsistent performances make it difficult to defend him.

I really wish Shafiq finds his form again be he is a very good middle/lower order batsman. Has anyone in tests scored more runs or centuries than him at 6?

If he can rediscover his form and start scoring again, it will be a real boost to a new, inexperienced middle order.

He did try to model his technique a bit like Tendulkar but you can copy the master, not become him.

Mickey Arthur's praise is the kiss of death for a player's career it seems

Looks in great control today.
Has played really well against in swinging deliveries which was a problem for him last time.

Boy it's time to get your name on Lord’s Honours Board which Tendulkar couldn't do in his 24 year int cricket, he has already surpassed Tendulkar's highest score of 37 at Lord's

Had to double check there wasn't a mistake in the thread title, can't believe this comparison was made in all seriousness.

This should be the end IMO.

A below average career.

Career best knock: - Brisbane 2016

Asad's record since this interview:

9sgZrot.png

:salute

Looked quite good today. Impressed Mr.Michael aswell.

Got out to an excellent delivery.

The way he’s going he’ll soon be mentioned, as a cricketer, in the same breath as Anjali Tendulkar.

He's in the list of top 10 scorers for Pakistan in tests has the worst average maybe they want him in the top 3 with a 35 average so he's called the mediocre Tendulkar.

Mickey should bite his ear off in the dressing room today.

Mickey Arthur's praise is the kiss of death for a player's career it seems

It all went downhill from the day Shafiq was compared to sachin lol

He looks like such an accomplished batsman <B>but just like Kohli in Tests, <B> he maybe is not mentally built for ODIs? Hope I am proven wrong.

That has changed so much and how!
The issue with Asad has been consistency. One day he seems like a million dollars, and another day a pauper. He has a good technique for most part, but loose shots are not too far and he needs to be mentally stronger to leave outside off in Tests.

Mickey Arthur and his comparisons. LOL

Statements like this shouldn't affect experienced players.

Asad looks like a rabbit in headlights these days.

Nervous, unsure and timid.

Babar has shades of mid-generation Tendulkar.

Shafiq is far, far from it.

NO.....Sachin Tendulkar should feel proud that his name is being taken with Asad Shafiq's in the same breath. :srt :shafiq

Tendulkar hasn’t even scored a single day-night century. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Happy birthday to Pakistan’s Asad Shafiq 🎂<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DidYouKnow?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DidYouKnow</a> he was the first batsman to score two day-night Test centuries? <a href="https://t.co/WpJUQ22xBX">pic.twitter.com/WpJUQ22xBX</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1354640845576802305?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
I wish not to be reminded of this man for a long time :facepalm

That uncomfortable moment when you try to present a crow as a peocock and the audience is aware of it.....

Babar Azam is the closest batsman ever to Tendulkar after Bradman and Taibu.

If Mohammad Kaif had a lengthy test career, it would have been similar to Asad Shafiq's.

Happy birthday to him btw!

Still a better player to watch than Azhar Ali. Both have failed to show up when it mattered most.

Veteran Pakistan middle-order batsman Asad Shafiq has revealed that he is working on his batting technique to improve his skills.

The right-hander was dropped from the national Test squad due to dip in form after the tour of England in 2020.

Talking to the Pakistan Cricket Board podcast, the 35-year-old said that he is working on batting flaws identified by legendary batsman Mohammad Yousuf.

“I am working with Mohammad Yousuf since the day I joined the camp,” said Shafiq. “In the first couple of days, I practiced both indoor, outdoor and played practice matches as well. The good thing about the National High-Performance Center is that even we are doing batting practice in nets, they are recorded.

“That helps us improve and identify our own mistakes. He [Yousuf] has identified a few things and we have agreed on some points that there is a room for improvement in my batting technique.”

Moreover, he termed the four-week camp a great opportunity to prepare for the upcoming domestic season.

“Back in Karachi due to Covid-19, we were unable to do practice,” he said. “I was training but couldn’t do batting practice. So, it was a great opportunity for me and everyone else. I am hoping to improve as much as I can and overcome the issues I am facing. I will try to implement these in the upcoming domestic season and become a batter batsman.”

Shafiq has represented Pakistan in 77 Tests, 60 ODIs and 10 T20Is where he has managed to score 6,188 runs, which included 12 centuries and 36 half-centuries.

https://www.samaa.tv/sports/cricket...with-better-performances-in-domestic-cricket/

Always living under the shadows of others. Sad that he never really stepped up as a leader even after all these years and the experience that he acquired.

It simply came down to his personality. You can be as gifted as anyone else in terms of skills but if you such a soft/meek personality, you'll never make your mark in a competitive sport.

The guy is 35 years old. England moved on from KP and Ian Bell when they were 33. Pakistan should move on as well now.

I feel like despite these improvements he's made, his time has come and gone for a recall. Taking him out of the Pakistan side was probably a really good decision considering his form.

I feel like despite these improvements he's made, his time has come and gone for a recall. Taking him out of the Pakistan side was probably a really good decision considering his form.

Technically speaking, Shafiq was performing better than Azhar. That England tour really ended his career despite him hitting quite a few fifties when compared with Azhar.

Actually, looking at the stats now, Asad outperformed Azhar in 2018 and 2019, but would have also outperformed Azhar in 2020 if you remove Azhar's 141 against England.

I agree that he didn't step up post Misbah-Younis retirement, but generally speaking I think he was axed unfairly, especially since Azhar was not given the same treatment.

If he solidifies his technique, it could put him back in the radar, but it's unlikely.

It may be an unpopular opinion but if Shafiq batted higher up the order when he was younger, he could have been a spectacular batsman by now.

“I am working with Mohammad Yousuf since the day I joined the camp,” said Shafiq. “In the first couple of days, I practiced both indoor, outdoor and played practice matches as well. The good thing about the National High-Performance Center is that even we are doing batting practice in nets, they are recorded.

“That helps us improve and identify our own mistakes. He [Yousuf] has identified a few things and we have agreed on some points that there is a room for improvement in my batting technique.”

This self-assessment has come a few years too late I'm afraid.

This self-assessment has come a few years too late I'm afraid.

Exactly my thoughts. Why wasn’t this done earlier on his career? Why do our players wait until hitting rock bottom to begin self assessing and refining?

It looks like our players don’t believe in continuous self improvement.

Veteran Pakistan middle-order batsman Asad Shafiq has revealed that he is working on his batting technique to improve his skills.

The right-hander was dropped from the national Test squad due to dip in form after the tour of England in 2020.

Talking to the Pakistan Cricket Board podcast, the 35-year-old said that he is working on batting flaws identified by legendary batsman Mohammad Yousuf.

Moreover, he termed the four-week camp a great opportunity to prepare for the upcoming domestic season.

“Back in Karachi due to Covid-19, we were unable to do practice,” he said. “I was training but couldn’t do batting practice. So, it was a great opportunity for me and everyone else. I am hoping to improve as much as I can and overcome the issues I am facing. I will try to implement these in the upcoming domestic season and become a batter batsman.”

Shafiq has represented Pakistan in 77 Tests, 60 ODIs and 10 T20Is where he has managed to score 6,188 runs, which included 12 centuries and 36 half-centuries.

https://www.samaa.tv/sports/cricket...with-better-performances-in-domestic-cricket/

Oh please God, I dont want to see him making a comeback in Pakistan colours.

Exactly my thoughts. Why wasn’t this done earlier on his career? Why do our players wait until hitting rock bottom to begin self assessing and refining?

It looks like our players don’t believe in continuous self improvement.

Same thing happened with Sarfaraz. Sometimes the fear of being dropped is better.

Technically speaking, Shafiq was performing better than Azhar. That England tour really ended his career despite him hitting quite a few fifties when compared with Azhar.

Actually, looking at the stats now, Asad outperformed Azhar in 2018 and 2019, but would have also outperformed Azhar in 2020 if you remove Azhar's 141 against England.

I agree that he didn't step up post Misbah-Younis retirement, but generally speaking I think he was axed unfairly, especially since Azhar was not given the same treatment.

If he solidifies his technique, it could put him back in the radar, but it's unlikely.

It may be an unpopular opinion but if Shafiq batted higher up the order when he was younger, he could have been a spectacular batsman by now.

I agree, If Shafiq batted up the order, he could have been bettered and I agree that Azhar should have also been axed.

I remember seeing Shafiq batting for Pakistan in the 2010 ODI's against England and I genuinely thought he looked really good and thought Pakistan have got a opener or potential at No.3.

His technique is solid but the areas he needed to work should have happened earlier and I get it, its hard to bat ahead of Misbah & Younis in the order and playing in the UAE didn't exactly help either.

I really am curious to know how Asad rates his test career. Is he satisfied with what he has achieved? At least he can't complain about not getting enough and consistent chances, which is our player' go-to excuse for anything and everything.

I think he was happier batting at 6 with Azhar, YK and Misbah above him.

When YK and Misbah retired, that really turned the heat on him and expectations increased.

Micky Arthur shld be banned bcz of this comment... this Joker Asad was the worst player ever to play these manny matches .... seriously shocker by micky

I would take him as an opener over Butt and Abid.

If he can sustain his usual 35-40 average while opening, it will work out very nicely.

If he can sustain his usual 35-40 average while opening, it will work out very nicely.

Pakistani selectors/coaches don't have the vision to think outside the box. If they did they could utilize a number of not so great middle-order/top-order batsmen as makeshift openers.

Pakistani selectors/coaches don't have the vision to think outside the box. If they did they could utilize a number of not so great middle-order/top-order batsmen as makeshift openers.

Although Shafiq wouldn't be one of them. I had to check I was reading the thread title right when I saw it.

Shafiq usually struggles to bat above number 6. He would be a very poor choice as an opener.

If we are really setting a benchmark of 35 average, then there are plenty of options.

Shafiq played the whole season and did nothing, at this stage he should be thinking about getting into coaching and not working with the coaches to work on his flaws. He is mentally not strong enough to be the main batsman of our team.

Shafiq usually struggles to bat above number 6. He would be a very poor choice as an opener.

If we are really setting a benchmark of 35 average, then there are plenty of options.

Number 6 batsmen are usually expected to be adept at taking on the second new ball. And anyone who does well in that spot is usually good at negotiating the second new ball therefore, Shafiq is a reasonably good choice for opener, especially considering the dire state of Pakistan's current test openers.

Back