ICC Cricket World Cup 2023: England (364/9) beat Bangladesh (227 all out) by 137 runs

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1696868616127.jpeg

Although England and Bangladesh had contrasting opening encounters in the Cricket World Cup, both teams are aware that there is a long journey ahead in this tournament.

Bangladesh is looking for an enhanced performance in their batting department. They faced some early difficulties against Afghanistan, but a 97-run partnership between Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Najmul Hossain Shanto guided them to a six-wicket victory.

England, on the other hand, is aiming for an improved all-around performance. The uncertainty surrounding Ben Stokes' availability may force them to maintain the same batting lineup. It will be crucial for the playing XI to provide a stronger start compared to their previous match against New Zealand.

When: October 10, 2023, 10:30 AM IST

Where: HPCA stadium, Dharamsala

Teams

England:

Ben Stokes has received throwdowns over the past two days and faced local spinners on Monday, but his fitness and comfort level in both instances have not been optimal. Jos Buttler has indicated that Stokes is likely to miss the Bangladesh game. Consequently, Harry Brook, who was the first to bat in the nets on the eve of the game, is expected to retain his place in the lineup.

In terms of tactics and strategy, Liam Livingstone has emphasized that England will stick to their aggressive white-ball approach following their loss in the World Cup opener. Dawid Malan, Jos Buttler, and Moeen Ali were actively practicing attacking shots against the local spinners during their net sessions on Monday. Anticipate a proactive batting approach from England's batsmen as they take on Shakib and the rest of the Bangladesh bowling attack.

Bangladesh:

With expectations of another spin-friendly pitch, Bangladesh might consider the inclusion of a third spinner, such as Nasum Ahmed or Mahedi Hasan, in place of Mahmudullah. This move would provide them with a genuine sixth bowling option to counter England's strong batting lineup effectively.

In terms of tactics and strategy, there could be an early bowling shift for Mehidy Hasan Miraz to contain left-handed opener Dawid Malan, against whom he has a favorable track record in this format. Bangladesh's game plan will heavily rely on their spinners to put pressure on England during the middle overs. However, they will also need their fast bowlers to perform well at both the start and the end of the innings. Fortunately, Bangladesh has capable options in this regard, with Shoriful Islam boasting an impressive average of 11.88 in the first PowerPlay (1-10 overs) this year, and Taskin Ahmed and Mustafizur Rahman being proficient at bowling during the death overs (41-50 overs), with averages of 12.14 and 14.08, respectively.

Squads:

England Squad: Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Jos Buttler(w/c), Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Ben Stokes, Gus Atkinson, David Willey, Reece Topley

Bangladesh Squad: Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Najmul Hossain Shanto, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Towhid Hridoy, Mahmudullah, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Mustafizur Rahman, Mahedi Hasan, Nasum Ahmed, Hasan Mahmud, Tanzim Hasan Sakib

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

If England lose this match, which is possible, they are in big trouble even though there is a long way to go in this tournament.

A shock result maybe?

Bangladesh have upset England in 2 different World Cups IIRC, not to be taken lightly especially by England.

If England lose this match, which is possible, they are in big trouble even though there is a long way to go in this tournament.

A shock result maybe?
There are many problems in batting department for BD, mushi need to step up and support shakib.
Tanzid looking decent.
England will hit back very hard after NZ defeat. They will surely send message to all big teams.

A win here for BD would be magnificent. But, England are obviously the red hot favorites.

wicket is very slow in dharamsala, bangladesh will get full advantage of it.

It wont be easy to chase down any score around 250.

Few things in favor of Bangladesh

1) Have played the previous match on same ground.
2) Pitch is on the slower side helping spinners.
3) England might start strong in batting but they will find difficulty in middle overs as ball gets softer.
4) Outfield is rough so English players will be hesitant which would mean that fielding might not be a major difference.
5) England might be without Stokes which disturbs their balance.

Things Bangladesh need to be mindful of:
1) Do not throw wickets and starts.
2) Target some bowlers and be careful with some. England bowling will provide chances to hit and score runs.
3) Play with confidence and self belief that they can win the game.

I have a good feeling that if Bangladesh turns up they can cause an upset and become one of the contenders for Top 4.

If Bangladesh bowls first, they actually have a decent chance.
No, chasing would be more difficult there because pitch will get rough and slow by the time and will offer more turm and uneven bounce too, so i think batting first would be a wise decision.

England will lose

They probably gonna be the biggest flop this WC

No, chasing would be more difficult there because pitch will get rough and slow by the time and will offer more turm and uneven bounce too, so i think batting first would be a wise decision.
Not true. Spin and swing work better upfront at Dharamsala. 4 out of last 5 games were won chasing.

England will lose

Their bazball style cricket may prove disastorous in tomorrow's game against BD, since the pitch doesn't favor early hitting. Players will need to be extra caution when playing any shots.

This is a seam friendly pitch. Spin comes in to play by the looks of it. I can see an upset. Those of you who are betting fans may like this one if the odds are good.

Their bazball style cricket may prove disastorous in tomorrow's game against BD, since the pitch doesn't favor early hitting. Players will need to be extra caution when playing any shots.
Problem is pitches and conditions in India are too varied to keep playing one style. Gotta keep adapting. They had a shocker in Ahmedabad

England will lose

Naw doubt it, They'll beat bangaldesh lol. They won't be a flop, but they aren't Strongest then the rest of SENA this time around.

The problem with Bangladesh is that their seam attack will get destroyed and their batsman have really bad discipline

LOL no. Obviously there is no guarantee, but swing is more likely upfront. It is better to chase. It's a good track. Don't go by firsr match. That was below average performance by Afghans

Will there be a match between Bangladesh vs England today considering the fact there was good amount of rain overnight. And obviously the field wasn’t good before the rain so it would be more bad after this rain. I don’t want a t20 match rather I will prefer a full match where Bd would have a chance but definitely no chance in shorter lengths match.

Bangladesh won the toss and chose to bowl first.

Teams:

Bangladesh
(Playing XI): Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das, Najmul Hossain Shanto, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Towhid Hridoy, Mahedi Hasan, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Mustafizur Rahman

England (Playing XI): Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Jos Buttler(w/c), Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Reece Topley

Dharamshala is not exactly the place where Bang would have liked to face England.
Woakes and Topley can come in handy here in the early overs, I still think that this is gonna be a good match, if it doesnt swing early on then England doesn't have much in their bowling and Bangladesh can think about 300

Saw a Bangladesh player already choose not to dive for a 4 he could have stopped. They should have moved to a better taken care of ground than this.

Great bowling by Mustafizur.. not much swing but very very good line and length right now.

What a decision by the umpire 🫡🫡 salute him.
Even watching here on television, it was looking clear out.
Absolute Masterclass by Ahsan Raza.

If they don’t get a wicket in the next 5 overs, these two will rack up hundreds.

Bangladesh needs to get rid of these 2 openers or may be Malan to be honest, He is looking dangerous.

After 10 overs, England is 61/0. The English openers are looking very comfortable out there.

England will go past 400 today. The spinners not getting any assistance from this phatta flat road with volcanic outfield

England starting to look dangerous.. Malan in particular looks like he wants a big one

Bangladesh's bowlers were unable to pick any wickets in 15 overs. England is 98/0. Dawid Malan scored a brilliant 50 and is looking comfortable like he will get triple figures as well.

6 bowlers have been used already. Why the 8th over was given to Mahedy Hasan? Is he really that good? Why did not Shakib try himself or Miraz? but then he brought himself and Miraz for the 9th and 10th
Should have brought himself in the 7th over.

Shakib has got the breakthrough. Bairstow is gone for 52. England is 115/1.

Last edited:
22 overs 140/1 is a solid foundation to get 360 370 runs. Bangladesh need to get few wickets of they want to stay in this match.

Pathetic from these drama queen batsmen by moving out of the way delivery stride - be a man root

Once sakib is done it’s free for all buffet for England. He is the only one holding them at bay and has only three overs left

I would reschedule this match and declare this ground unfit to hold any more matches in this world cup.

England is gonna score around 370 .great plateform is set up for their power hitter for strong finish

Dawid Malan is on his way to score a big one here. He is looking smooth bro.

Earlier the misfield that went for 4, was not the fielders fault as he slipped because of poor outfield and then Mustafizur's foot got stuck just before Root pulled out
I think the fiz potential injury was due to root pulling away last second. But yes, the outfield is a joke

I think the fiz potential injury was due to root pulling away last second. But yes, the outfield is a joke
That's exactly what I thought earlier, but then the replays showed something totally different. Watch the replay again

After 28 overs, England is in a solid position having a score of 177/1.

Good work by root by breaking the shackles after a few quiet overs. That’s the type of change of gears “accumulators” need

The highest score on this ground is 330 by India. Poms well on course to surpass that score.

If Joe Root is playing like this I think is on… imagine what Buttler could come in and do.

Dawid Malan is the Fastest to six ODI hundreds by innings taken. Took just 23 innings for him to reach this feat. What an absolutely brilliant innings from him today and he is not yet finished.

I was wrong about the pitch lol. Is this seam or spin friendly. Thrashing.

50 up for Root from 44
I reckon he will step on the gas now

1696923511776.png

I want to see Joe Root get out so we can watch Buttler try to hit the fastest 100 ever

A win here for BD would be magnificent. But, England are obviously the red hot favorites.
This pitch seems flat ?

On turning pitches I back BD to smash England. Even on seaming tracks it will be close.

On flat pitches is where flat track bully England excels.

Now England is looking for 400+ finish . Malan also can score first double hundred of the world cup 2023

Back