ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (248/2) beat Bangladesh (245/9) comfortably by 8 wickets

They have changed it to red soil pitch it seems not to use the same pitch over and over. Will be good to bat on.

Whilst i understand MMH's emotions and accept some parts of it, but would like to ask him, whilst comparing to the other teams for ages and experience, can we also compare the trophy cabinets as well please?

Personally speaking now tired of cheering for BD being the underdog, when they have been at the top level for more than a couple of decades now.

Haturusinghe is the reason why
It is a bit naive to think that a nobody like Hatru has power to override a Bangladeshi legend like Shakib

Blame captain Shakib if the team are making stupid plans.

Rachin gets a faint edge to the keeper and Mustafizur strikes. And Bangladesh are in the game
That brings Wilson to the crease after 6 long months away due to injury, can BD take advantage?

1697202048584.png

This is scintillating stuff from Bangladesh. Kiwis under pressure.

You talk same rubbish every game when seniors perform. I normally don’t post in BD games, but there is a systematic racism against Bangladesh, which needs to be answered. Just for a note, against Australia, Indian performers were Kohli, KL, Jadeja & Ashwin…..

Every team depends on senior players - England’s best players are in mid to late 30s, same is for Australia. And, I explained it many times, you have read that also, but can’t resist taking chances - which is sick of you.

Read it once more & slowly - Shakib, Mushfique & Mahmudullah are still around after 16 years because they started career almost out of school for a emerging team - at 17/18. It’s not that they are carried at over age.

Stop poking finger every time when BD seniors perform - it’s not that we should expect our seniors to fail to keep your lousy mouth silent. This is one of the youngest squad in this WC - every bowler bat Shakib are in their early to mid/late 20s & only 3 of the squad is above 30. The day PP darling AFGs we’re blown by the younger lot, I didn’t see any comments from you - change this attitude to be respected.

Easy there. 16 years and if you they started at 17 years then they should be only 33 years old. They are not. They are all 36 plus meaning made debut at 20. RIght about the time most players make debut give or take 1 or 2 years. No not every team depend on seniors as much as Bangladesh. The result reflects that. Don't throw odd ball cases and try to make it a norm. Which Pakistan players from 2007 batch or 2011 batch still play for Pakistan? You can even add 2015 batch. Same goes for New zealand. It is an observation vast majority will agree with. Fan boy in you might be in denial to admit that. That's okay.

Look at Mushfiq convincing the bowler not to take the review. No uncertainty, clear judgement that taking the review will be wrong

That’s how your Keeper should be!

Whilst i understand MMH's emotions and accept some parts of it, but would like to ask him, whilst comparing to the other teams for ages and experience, can we also compare the trophy cabinets as well please?

Personally speaking now tired of cheering for BD being the underdog, when they have been at the top level for more than a couple of decades now.
I’m absolutely not emotional- I understand Cricket more than most here, definitely lot more than trolls coming to enjoy their two minutes glory in a cricket forum.

Trophy cabinet comes from overall quality - overall the team is not good enough. Besides, we have moved out of 1980s & 90s when every alternate month there were tournaments- these days there is only ICC events & Asia cup - it took Poms to win a WC 140 years, if you say so.

However, having trophy or not has absolutely nothing to do with the depth or seniors bailing out the team. This squad has 7 players who has played U19 cricket in last 6 years, bar Shakib entire bowling line up is new. They are shifting cricket from spin based darting to pace attack - you’ll see the impact; that doesn’t mean trophy cabinet is going to be full.

I don’t want to refer past games, but few weeks back a kid on debut blew Indian top order - bar Shakib players performing that win were Tanzim, Tawhid, Mehadi & Nasum - I bet trolls had never heard of the names before Asia cup.

NZ are 15-1 after 5 overs
Not an easy pitch to bat on, the ball is nipping around. Bangladesh need to take advantage of the conditions before the dew sets in

Chennai pitch has carry whenever they have red soil. This is the challenge guys :) They won't want to use the same pitch over and over as it will become more difficult to play as the tournament wears on. So they will play different pitches. There will be different challenges. So far Hyderabad and Delhi exhibited the same behavior in both matches and warm up matches. Won't be the same

Based on how pitch has turned out and how NZ have batted so far, I think 245 is defendable.

Pakistan have 2 matches on this pitch against SA and Afg even now I'm confused if you win the toss bat first or bowl?

Easy there. 16 years and if you they started at 17 years then they should be only 33 years old. They are not. They are all 36 plus meaning made debut at 20. RIght about the time most players make debut give or take 1 or 2 years. No not every team depend on seniors as much as Bangladesh. The result reflects that. Don't throw odd ball cases and try to make it a norm. Which Pakistan players from 2007 batch or 2011 batch still play for Pakistan? You can even add 2015 batch. Same goes for New zealand. It is an observation vast majority will agree with. Fan boy in you might be in denial to admit that. That's okay.
You caught me - made a big mess of 17 vs 20. Since you asked for it - Mushi actually debuted in 2005, at 17…. you know 2007 for a reason.

I am not throwing odd balls with three players in mid 30s out of a squad of 15 with 7 coming from last 3 U19 WC…. 10 from last 5.

Why Amir & Sarfraz are not here PAK posters can explain better and from which batch Iftekhar comes from, he’ll be able to tell better.

Looks like it will be similar result after aus dropping kohli catch

Come on Bang bros, win this match and open this tournament.

@MMHS
Difficult - you see, defending 245 needs both - you need to keep RR down & attack as well to get wickets regularly, one partnership, game over.

Had the target been 275+, you could have done it one way. I think, it bound be a tight game, but unless Kiwis are 3 down by 50, I don’t see any hope. Once dew comes, spinners won’t be effective

Difficult - you see, defending 245 needs both - you need to keep RR down & attack as well to get wickets regularly, one partnership, game over.

Had the target been 275+, you could have done it one way. I think, it bound be a tight game, but unless Kiwis are 3 down by 50, I don’t see any hope. Once dew comes, spinners won’t be effective

Yes gonna be tough

But hoping against hope for a spirited effort here just for the sake of the World Cup.

Don’t wanna be in a situation the bottom 4 are playing no part in the cup

BD are definitely 30 short. If this was 245 on that previous Chepauk wicket, you could have defended. Here it's below par . And NZ are batting very well these days.

You caught me - made a big mess of 17 vs 20. Since you asked for it - Mushi actually debuted in 2005, at 17…. you know 2007 for a reason.

I am not throwing odd balls with three players in mid 30s out of a squad of 15 with 7 coming from last 3 U19 WC…. 10 from last 5. You are trying to salvage a silly post, because you didn’t notice someone started roaming around PP again - no worries, after world cup, the field will be open again for trolling.

You got exposed again by mentioning Pakistan here - why Amir & Sarfraz are not here PAK posters can explain better and from which batch Iftekhar comes from, he’ll be able to tell better.
Fact that you think this is "trolling" says it all about your post. Why would i troll Bangladesh team. It is something to do with why they never start remotely as favorites in any tournament. It is also one of the reason why BD is yet to win an Asia cup wher e only 4 main teams participate. Still their hope is to finish 5th or 6th along the way registering an odd win here and there. One of the reason is this. Heavily relying on players from the 2000s. If you have a different explanation feel free to offer instead of dragging other countries in your defense. Lot of them have done a lot better. SL has won so many Asia cups also reached more finals than India even with mostly high school kids.

If BD pull this off it will be well deserved win for BD fans, NZ bat deep btw

Swing is gone. THey needed to take 3 wickets before the swing is gone. Even then there is no guarantee. Ravindra's runs for NZ is a bonus. He became an accidental hit.

I’m absolutely not emotional- I understand Cricket more than most here, definitely lot more than trolls coming to enjoy their two minutes glory in a cricket forum.

Trophy cabinet comes from overall quality - overall the team is not good enough. Besides, we have moved out of 1980s & 90s when every alternate month there were tournaments- these days there is only ICC events & Asia cup - it took Poms to win a WC 140 years, if you say so.

However, having trophy or not has absolutely nothing to do with the depth or seniors bailing out the team. This squad has 7 players who has played U19 cricket in last 6 years, bar Shakib entire bowling line up is new. They are shifting cricket from spin based darting to pace attack - you’ll see the impact; that doesn’t mean trophy cabinet is going to be full.

I don’t want to refer past games, but few weeks back a kid on debut blew Indian top order - bar Shakib players performing that win were Tanzim, Tawhid, Mehadi & Nasum - I bet trolls had never heard of the names before Asia cup.
Taskin and Mustafiz have been around a few years. Taskin after 2015 disappeared a bit IMHO, but good to see him back. Tanzim the name sticks from U-19 team that won the WC, am I right there?

I think what's holding back BD is what ailed India in it's 80's (expect 83 and 85), what I call the "midget" mindset.

England you could argue they had never paid attention to their white ball set up, but post 2015 the shift and the result was visible- they have redefined ODI batting.

Always thought ODIs are BD's strong suit than the other two and in sub continental conditions they should'nt just be punching above their weight, but actually be a dark horse to win the race.

As I have said before NZ is better off having tom Latham as captain . Kane has started his tuk tuk batting and he says pads and covers if he stays long ro run a a ball. If he's out early he puts so much pressure on the team. Cant fathom that played t20 2021 & 2022 WCs- such a liability there

Taskin's line and length has been poor. Unless BD keep it very tight and hold on to every chance , they are losing comfortably.

Taskin's line and length has been poor. Unless BD keep it very tight and hold on to every chance , they are losing comfortably.
Match is already lost. It’s how much by and within what many overs. Hoping they lose as late as possible!

Match is already lost. It’s how much by and within what many overs. Hoping they lose as late as possible!
BD won't miss semis for NRR. You need 6 wins first . I don't see 6 wins for BD tbh. Not the way they are playing right now.

BD won't miss semis for NRR. You need 6 wins first . I don't see 6 wins for BD tbh. Not the way they are playing right now.
Its basically 6 teams vying for 4 spots. Bang afg sl neth - are not going to make it anyways...but they can upset the bigger teams and mess up their qualification scenarios

Another half-chance squandered by BD. Conway and Williamson have both beend dropped now

1697206480646.png

Its basically 6 teams vying for 4 spots. Bang afg sl neth - are not going to make it anyways...but they can upset the bigger teams and mess up their qualification scenarios
Yeah but they need to try to win for that. Not true to avoid losing by big margin.

NZ can win this in singles. BD need to keep 6 in the circle and get their spinners to bowl slow and flight the ball. They may get hit but it will create chances .

They can't win by choking NZ . That won't happen without scoreboard pressure and a gripping surface.

Kanes 2019 WC strike rate was 75. Almost every single match bar a couple in the backend happened on roads. Still his SR was low. Kane is a curse and also a boon at the same time. He provides solidity in return. Will be reliable in mid level chases.

I normally don’t post in BD games, but there is a systematic racism against Bangladesh, which needs to be answered. Just for a note, against Australia, Indian performers were Kohli, KL, Jadeja & Ashwin…..

Every team depends on senior players - England’s best players are in mid to late 30s, same is for Australia.

Shakib, Mushfique & Mahmudullah are still around after 16 years because they started career almost out of school for a emerging team - at 17/18. It’s not that they are carried at over age.

Stop poking finger every time when BD seniors perform - This is one of the youngest squad in this WC - every bowler bat Shakib are in their early to mid/late 20s & only 3 of the squad is above 30. The day PP darling AFGs we’re blown by the younger lot, I didn’t see any comments
Lol at systematic racism. Trolling is not racism. BD should be ashamed to be comparing themselves to AFG. Afg is a war-torn country for decades. There hasn't been a stable government forever. Their players have never played against any major teams in front of their home crowd. There is no economy to speak about and there is not a big first-class scene to write about. They don't even play under their current government flag which considers cricket haram. Compared this to BD which has a stable government, professional first-class setup for decades, has played international cricket for decades, plays in front their home hysterical crowd regularly under doctored pitches, a supposed booming economy, and has a fairly successful T20 league. Compared AFG, BD is a heaven. Even Pak has struggled to play in front of their home crowd and have a struggling economy. So are SL.

With so many things going for them, where is the talent? Yes, India has Kholi, Jadeja, Ashwin (who by the way started in 2010s) and KL, who debuted around a decade later than your stars. But they also have Gill, Bumhra, Siraj, Pandya, Pant, who have all won matches on their own against really good teams.

People "poke finger" at BD because they have the most overrated cricketers ever. Arrogant, entitled and devil may care attitude when all they have for showing is coming second in asia cup. I was once very bullish on BD. Thought they will eclipse Pak. Even if you ignore the past and look only at the future and at their respective trajectory, BD will never reach Pak's abilities in our lifetime.

Back