ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (248/2) beat Bangladesh (245/9) comfortably by 8 wickets

Kohli also pretend to be 33 when in reality he is much older. Rohit is old. Shami is apparently '33' ok sure.

A combo of experienced ans youth is needed to win the WC anyway.
Who cares about their ages. Even if they are 45 and they are able come up performances like the have been, what is the problem? is there any age limit. If Kohli, Rohit and Shame are 40 and still are among the best, my admiration for them will go up. This is not age limted cricket anymore

Lol at systematic racism. Trolling is not racism. BD should be ashamed to be comparing themselves to AFG. Afg is a war-torn country for decades. There hasn't been a stable government forever. Their players have never played against any major teams in front of their home crowd. There is no economy to speak about and there is not a big first-class scene to write about. They don't even play under their current government flag which considers cricket haram. Compared this to BD which has a stable government, professional first-class setup for decades, has played international cricket for decades, plays in front their home hysterical crowd regularly under doctored pitches, a supposed booming economy, and has a fairly successful T20 league. Compared AFG, BD is a heaven. Even Pak has struggled to play in front of their home crowd and have a struggling economy. So are SL.

With so many things going for them, where is the talent? Yes, India has Kholi, Jadeja, Ashwin (who by the way started in 2010s) and KL, who debuted around a decade later than your stars. But they also have Gill, Bumhra, Siraj, Pandya, Pant, who have all won matches on their own against really good teams.

People "poke finger" at BD because they have the most overrated cricketers ever. Arrogant, entitled and devil may care attitude when all they have for showing is coming second in asia cup. I was once very bullish on BD. Thought they will eclipse Pak. Even if you ignore the past and look only at the future and at their respective trajectory, BD will never reach Pak's abilities in our lifetime.
Couldn't have said better.

BD fans who are defending BD performances are missing the point. ODI is the only format where BD will be taken somewhat seriously by anyone. Even with that they usually end up in the lower end of the table, just finishing higher up than associates. This team has entitled superstars who have been playing from 15 years and supposedly their golden generation. They have absolutely nothing to show for in ODIs. I am completely ignoring other formats where they are nobodies apart on their pitches. If in your best format, with your golden generation, on the pitches favoring your type of play, on conditions similar to what you find in your country, the best you can do is may be couple of upsets, BD is a poor team.

I like the dogged spirit and tenacity of Kane like his brilliant century vs bazball team. But in ODIs he is boring as he'll. 59 strike rate?

I like the dogged spirit and tenacity of Kane like his brilliant century vs bazball team. But in ODIs he is boring as he'll. 59 strike rate?
Team requirements is primarily goal . He is playing well to adjust the condition for big match as they are winning this match easily.

I’m absolutely not emotional- I understand Cricket more than most here, definitely lot more than trolls coming to enjoy their two minutes glory in a cricket forum.

Trophy cabinet comes from overall quality - overall the team is not good enough. Besides, we have moved out of 1980s & 90s when every alternate month there were tournaments- these days there is only ICC events & Asia cup - it took Poms to win a WC 140 years, if you say so.

However, having trophy or not has absolutely nothing to do with the depth or seniors bailing out the team. This squad has 7 players who has played U19 cricket in last 6 years, bar Shakib entire bowling line up is new. They are shifting cricket from spin based darting to pace attack - you’ll see the impact; that doesn’t mean trophy cabinet is going to be full.

I don’t want to refer past games, but few weeks back a kid on debut blew Indian top order - bar Shakib players performing that win were Tanzim, Tawhid, Mehadi & Nasum - I bet trolls had never heard of the names before Asia cup.
Poms took 140 years? was there WCs in 1900s? did you forget they were finalists in 87 and 92? yes there was first class setup, so was in BD although not for such a long time. better team to compare to BD is SL. SL probably had a 1.5 decade or so early introduction to international cricket. they had won asia cups, and world cup in 20 years.

As you say, this team has 7 players who have played U19. Even then apart from mustafizur and may be mirza none of them will even be very good players. There is not a single young player other team will want in their setup. there isn't a single player in the BD setup that the opposition would lose sleep over even in their best format ODI.

None of those you mention will end up being an ATG or a even great players. All of them will at most end up as good players, who are a dime a dozen in international cricket. Tell me one player who you think will be future ATG whom team and fans can look up to? one bowler who will keep the opposition batsmen scared and up all night? one batsman who will be feared by opposition team? one player who will be an inspiration to players from other countries or even BD fans? none i can see in the current setup. And the Asian game matches i watched didn't show up anyone.

When is spin going to start taking effect in this World Cup?

Keep building dots

Door will open
nah.. unless they take wicket of Kane, they will not win. He can stay and play slowly and hold up one end. Others can play run a ball innings from the other end. That is enough to win the match. BD needs to get at least two wickets including that of Kane to make any dent. Otherwise, NZ will reach there in third gear as always with Kane in the middle.

Team requirements is primarily goal . He is playing well to adjust the condition for big match as they are winning this match easily.
That is the trade off. Stability. He has this defense first mentality. He never gives away his wicket easily.

Come on Bang bros, win this match and open this tournament.

@MMHS
haha.. Pakistan Australia and England will want to see India, NZ and SA lose atleast a game in the next few matches. that way it will open up the tournament and make their jobs easier. Otherwise all teams will beat the minnows AFG, NED, SL and BD and it all comes down to winning couple of matches against title contenders to qualify for semis

Slight edge to NZ but ball starting to do something. Perhaps scoring will become more difficult now

Need to put foot down soon and push for NRR.

Get to 190 and then Mitchell goes for it,

So far venues where it's easier batting second are Ahmedabad, Hyderabad and chennai

Have to say this is one seriously boring and dull world cup other than Chennai,Lucknow the pitches have nothing in it for the bowlers. Just pile up the runs and put other team under pressure

So many games played not even a single close match. And this wc format is crap too

NZ won two tosses , decided to bowl in both and won easily. Joke tournament like 2021 T20 WC in Dubai

Kohli baiters should be criticising their captain's snail innings, but here they are praising him...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kohli baiters should be criticising their captain's snail innings, but here they are praising him... Hypocrites...
There's a reason why Kane's still captain while Kohli got booted via phone call.

There's a reason why Kane's still captain while Kohli got booted via phone call.
Yupp , coz you dont have better candidates mate. Call out Kane's innings for what it was- a selfish snail paced snooze fest, ultimately screwing his own teams NRR...

But then that would require cojones, not be expected from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yupp , coz you dont have better candidates mate. Dont be a hypocrite, call out Kane's innings for what it was- a selfish snail paced snooze fest, ultimately screwing his own teams NRR...

But then that would require cojones, not be expected from you.
Kane's first match back from injury and it's his role to play like this and let the others focus on scoring quick runs.

Actually know what you're talking about before posting.

done and dusted. BD in its default form. I suspect their best chance is against NED and SL. apart from that i don't see them winning anything else. BD and SL match would be a cracker. If Delhi pitch stays as batting friendly as we have seen, BD will be blown away there too. Otherwise, they may eek out a win against SL there. Only minnow who may spring some upset against top teams would be SL if they get their bowling under control.

New Zealand in their first 3 matches of the World Cup:
2015 - W, W, W.
2019 - W, W, W.
2023 - W, W, W.

2015 - W, W, W.
2019 - W, W, W.
2023 - W, W, W.
they have to still play against four more top teams. lets see how they fair. i suspect they may lose against, Aus, SA and one of India/Pak. They still should be comfortably making it to Semis due to their very good NRR

NZ won two tosses , decided to bowl in both and won easily. Joke tournament like 2021 T20 WC in Dubai

Oh please!! Kindly do not compare this to that farce of a tournament.

11 games so far in which 6 chasing teams won and 5 teams won by defending. Just yesterday South Africa defended the total after losing the toss. No where close to the joke that was Dubai 2021.

Have to say this is one seriously boring and dull world cup other than Chennai,Lucknow the pitches have nothing in it for the bowlers. Just pile up the runs and put other team under pressure
You have not even seen the real pattas yet . Wankhede, Bengaluru.

Oh please!! Kindly do not compare this to that farce of a tournament.

11 games so far in which 6 chasing teams won and 5 teams won by defending. Just yesterday South Africa defended the total after losing the toss. No where close to the joke that was Dubai 2021.
I mentioned the venues where it's been much easier batting second in this thread.
Ahmedabad is one of them.
WC final will be decided by toss I am very confident. Team that wins the toss will bowl first and win the Cup.

Kane's first match back from injury and it's his role to play like this and let the others focus on scoring quick runs.

There's so many other talented batsmen in NZ. There is no way kane deserves to be in the nz team - just my opinion. I absolutely loved McCollum's captaincy and in 2015 wanted nz to win even though I am a massive aussie fan just for Mccullum! He had 2 and 3 even 3 slips for the initial power play and very attacking unlike Kane.. kane should just stick to tests

2015 - W, W, W.
2019 - W, W, W.
2023 - W, W, W.
2015 was their best chance but they just beaten by a Mitchell starc special. They wont win a WC final just bcos they are a safety first defensive team except 2015. I. 2019 sf and final- they had the option to kill the game completely in the first half but they tuk tuked to 240 where they could have gotten 265-270 or more. Even 1982 they were aggressive in league stage due to Martin Crowe and john Wright messed up the sf with his defensive captaincy. That was an exciting team with Crowe in charge but too many dibbly dobblers who got found out on the big stage.. but Crowe injury was the turning point

New Zealand have secured a third win in as many starts to begin their Cricket World Cup 2023 campaign, though it's come at a price with Kane Williamson retiring hurt with an apparent thumb injury.

The Kiwis made light work of chasing down Bangladesh's 245 in Chennai, winning by eight wickets, though the victory was soured when the skipper was forced to retire hurt on 78.

Williamson looked ginger running between the wickets throughout the innings, though was hurt after an infield throw struck his left hand while completing a run.

Bangladesh too are awaiting news on their captain, with Shakib Al Hasan injuring his left quad. The skipper has left for scans and is in doubt for their meeting with India on 19 October.

Match 11: Bangladesh 245/9 (50 overs) defeated by New Zealand 248/2 (42.5)

Despite the early loss of Rachin Ravindra, New Zealand looked a cut above in the chase, beginning with an 80-run partnership between Devon Conway and the returning skipper, who replaced Will Young.

Conway fell lbw to Shakib for 45, though it did little to slow down the Black Caps, as the dependable Daryl Mitchell joined Williamson in the middle.

The No.4 showed calm throughout his knock, almost belying the speed he travelled in the knock, hitting six fours and four sixes in his knock of 89* from just 67 balls. Glenn Phillips' 16* (11) ensured a flying finish to juice the net run rate, though his participation in the innings only came about by his skipper walking off with his injury.

Williamson tried to carry on after the incident, though made his way off the field after a second consultation with the team doctor. It remains unclear how serious the injury is, though his gingerly nature running between the wickets is also a cause for concern.

Earlier, New Zealand kept Bangladesh to 245, pulling ahead in the middle of Bangladesh's innings, as Shakib Al Hasan's side were held at bay through a strong collective bowling effort.

Lockie Ferguson (3/49) and Mitchell Santner (1/31) were excellent at wrestling control, as Bangladesh crumbled from 152/4 to 180/7, with Ferguson eventually crowned Player of the Match. It was Trent Boult to capitalise on the smart work of his teammates for the seventh wicket of the innings, bowling a knuckle slower ball to dismiss Towhid Hridoy for 13. It was Boult's 200th wicket of his ODI career.

Mahmudullah Riyad's efforts to piece together the backend of the innings went largely in vain, though was helped by the tail with 56 runs in the final 10 overs.

Bangladesh's innings began in the worst possible fashion, losing birthday boy Litton Das off the first ball.

Despite performing exceptionally in the last game, the right-hander tried to make a statement, though ended up finding Matt Henry on the boundary off the bowling of Boult. All-rounder Mehidy Hasan Miraz helped calm the nerves with some intent-driven batting along with Tanzid Hasan, though Lockie Ferguson put the Kiwis ahead when he dismised Tanzid for 16.

Ferguson had his second when he claimed Mehidy Hasan Miraz, and in the next over, Najmul Hossain Shanto fell to Glenn Phillips for seven.

The Tigers then looked to their veterans, Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim, for answers. The duo got Bangladesh innings back on track with a fighting stand. Mushfiqur took the lead, batting at a brisk pace while also rotating the strike, as Bangladesh reached 100 in the 21st over.

After the mid-innings mark, Shakib and Mushfiqur continued the repair job with aplomb. After a slow start, Shakib too got into the act. He hit a four and a six off Rachin Ravindra in the 29th over. He followed this with a six against Ferguson in the next over. However, his aggressive act got the better of him off the very next ball.

Ferguson bounced the skipper and Shakib's pull was a top-edged, which floated up and was eventually taken by the keeper Tom Latham

Mushfiqur's fighting knock of 66, which comprised of six fours and two sixes, finally came to an end in the 36th over when he was outfoxed by a slower one from Matt Henry.

Source: ICC

Lol at systematic racism. Trolling is not racism. BD should be ashamed to be comparing themselves to AFG. Afg is a war-torn country for decades. There hasn't been a stable government forever. Their players have never played against any major teams in front of their home crowd. There is no economy to speak about and there is not a big first-class scene to write about. They don't even play under their current government flag which considers cricket haram. Compared this to BD which has a stable government, professional first-class setup for decades, has played international cricket for decades, plays in front their home hysterical crowd regularly under doctored pitches, a supposed booming economy, and has a fairly successful T20 league. Compared AFG, BD is a heaven. Even Pak has struggled to play in front of their home crowd and have a struggling economy. So are SL.

With so many things going for them, where is the talent? Yes, India has Kholi, Jadeja, Ashwin (who by the way started in 2010s) and KL, who debuted around a decade later than your stars. But they also have Gill, Bumhra, Siraj, Pandya, Pant, who have all won matches on their own against really good teams.

People "poke finger" at BD because they have the most overrated cricketers ever. Arrogant, entitled and devil may care attitude when all they have for showing is coming second in asia cup. I was once very bullish on BD. Thought they will eclipse Pak. Even if you ignore the past and look only at the future and at their respective trajectory, BD will never reach Pak's abilities in our lifetime.
As usual, got your chance ….

This is not a competition with AFGs therefore I really don’t want to bring them here - they are doing well, wish them better luck.

Having said that, you have absolutely no clue of what worked for AFGs. War torn & political instability was actually the key for AFGs cricket rise. Cricket is a very traditional game, played by few teams, mostly former British colonies- without infrastructure or domestic system it’s not possible to develop the game. This is where Afghan war came to their cricket - most of their first generation players actually learned their cricket in PAK, then moved back to Afghanistan. Besides they grew cricket during the time when T20 boomed - their players got the exposure in different leagues. Still, most of their top players are from old bunch.

As you said “trolling isn’t racism” - indeed - that’s why trolls need to be marked. It’s a game thread to discuss the game, and I don’t know why mods allow trolling here when at the starting post clearly the rules are written.

Anyway, no you are lying, not lying rather spreading uncalled for hate - no BD cricketer “overrate”, them, and they are one of the most humble cricketers around, let alone being arrogant. There are odd bad apples in every team.

Where which team or country reach, let’s leave that for future. If you had put your hopes on BD to eclipse PAK in cricket - that’s your stupidity, you shouldn’t come here to troll for that.

In this WC, there will be one winner, that doesn’t mean other teams haven’t come to play cricket, neither their fan can’t enjoy cricket.

I am too busy these days to be blogging around, but I’ll stick here till WC. My post was for a completely different context - if you are to troll here for a solace of your stupidity by shifting goal post, it doesn’t make you smart.

Now I’m an ENG fan - if they win the WC, at least I’ll be able to say that we did better than World Champs against Kiwis🤪

As usual, got your chance ….

This is not a competition with AFGs therefore I really don’t want to bring them here - they are doing well, wish them better luck.

Having said that, you have absolutely no clue of what worked for AFGs. War torn & political instability was actually the key for AFGs cricket rise. Cricket is a very traditional game, played by few teams, mostly former British colonies- without infrastructure or domestic system it’s not possible to develop the game. This is where Afghan war came to their cricket - most of their first generation players actually learned their cricket in PAK, then moved back to Afghanistan. Besides they grew cricket during the time when T20 boomed - their players got the exposure in different leagues. Still, most of their top players are from old bunch.

As you said “trolling isn’t racism” - indeed - that’s why trolls need to be marked. It’s a game thread to discuss the game, and I don’t know why mods allow trolling here when at the starting post clearly the rules are written.

Anyway, no you are lying, not lying rather spreading uncalled for hate - no BD cricketer “overrate”, them, and they are one of the most humble cricketers around, let alone being arrogant. There are odd bad apples in every team.

Where which team or country reach, let’s leave that for future. If you had put your hopes on BD to eclipse PAK in cricket - that’s your stupidity, you shouldn’t come here to troll for that.

In this WC, there will be one winner, that doesn’t mean other teams haven’t come to play cricket, neither their fan can’t enjoy cricket.

I am too busy these days to be blogging around, but I’ll stick here till WC. My post was for a completely different context - if you are to troll here for a solace of your stupidity by shifting goal post, it doesn’t make you smart.
not sure what you mean getting your chance. if it means commenting about BD in a thread where they are losing, belive me we will lot of such opportunities in the future.

Regarding AFG, i did not bring them. You did. Whatever reasons you give by writing novels, won't take out the fact that BD cannot compare itself to a war-torn country and feel good itself. BD has sold itself as some kind of tiger everywhere, in cricket, in economic development, etc. None of their results warrant that.

would you care to tell me where and what i am lying? what uncalled hate are we spreading? did i say BD should not be playing cricket or anything? i said they are poor team and extremely overrated compared to what their fans like you write novels about. I have met few BD players including Sakib, Mushi and Tamim and except Tamim they are all extremely entitled and act as of they are work conquerors. for that kidn of attitude and talk we expect some output. Not sure how that is hate.

where there are not points to debate or write novels about your go on your rant about trolling, shifting goal post or accusing others of racism. current BD team will amount to nothing. May be in future there will be more humble cricketers with some skills who will win something worthwhile and win hearts. Hopefully by that time their fans will also mature and hold their superstars accountable.

they have to still play against four more top teams. lets see how they fair. i suspect they may lose against, Aus, SA and one of India/Pak. They still should be comfortably making it to Semis due to their very good NRR
They have mental blocks against Pak & Aus in wc. Even though this time they look far better whereas those two are struggling, but they may still bottle it. They lost many matches to these two while being in better form.

2015 was their best chance but they just beaten by a Mitchell starc special. They wont win a WC final just bcos they are a safety first defensive team except 2015. I. 2019 sf and final- they had the option to kill the game completely in the first half but they tuk tuked to 240 where they could have gotten 265-270 or more. Even 1982 they were aggressive in league stage due to Martin Crowe and john Wright messed up the sf with his defensive captaincy. That was an exciting team with Crowe in charge but too many dibbly dobblers who got found out on the big stage.. but Crowe injury was the turning point
They overachieved in 92,99, way way over in 11 & then also in 19. They played like rockstars in 15 but ultimately Aussies were always gonna this, because they are... Aussies. They underachieved in 03 & 07. Should have played at least semi in the former & final in the latter. They did evenly according to their strength in 96. You are right about Crowe's injury, because only he knew how to use that jobber bowling attack properly. No other captain including Imran & Gooch could have gone this far with that farce of attack. Once he was gone, John Wright, Ian Smith or whoever else they would try had no clue how to close the match with literally zero match winning bowlers. When Danny Morison is your main strike bowler then reaching to semifinal that also almost unbeaten was an achievement in itself.

Oh I know what I am talking about, applying the same yardsticks to Kane that you apply to Kohli... appears you dont likwe it when shoes on the other foot?

Perhaps dont dish it if you cant take it.....

Kanes innings by modern standards was snail paced and rightly deserves a lot of stick. If he isnt fit, WC isnt the place to make a comeback from injury, unless offcourse NZ are content with forever being the bridesmaid never the bride.

Oh I know what I am talking about, applying the same yardsticks to Kane that you apply to Kohli... appears you dont likwe it when shoes on the other foot?

Kanes innings by modern standards was snail paced and rightly deserves a lot of stick. If he isnt fit, WC isnt the place to make a comeback from injury, unless offcourse NZ are content with forever being the bridesmaid never the bride.
Difference is Kiwis actually like Kane and support him 100%. Unlike a certain choker from Delhi who is trolled by half his country for being a serial choker and loser.

I have read somewhere Williamson injured in today match . Is this true? If so then how serious is the injury?

Difference is Kiwis actually like Kane and support him 100%. Unlike a certain choker from Delhi who is trolled by half his country for being a serial choker and loser.
He has won a World Cup and CT .so don't know what are you talking man . before he hang boot he is going to win another world cup so enjoy the world cup .

There's so many other talented batsmen in NZ. There is no way kane deserves to be in the nz team - just my opinion. I absolutely loved McCollum's captaincy and in 2015 wanted nz to win even though I am a massive aussie fan just for Mccullum! He had 2 and 3 even 3 slips for the initial power play and very attacking unlike Kane.. kane should just stick to tests
Complete nonsense . Kane is a world class batsman and a better odi batsman than Mccullum ever was. Also a significantly better captain than McCullum. McCullum was too one dimensional and his team wouldn't rise like kane's has away from home .

Anyone saying kane didn't play well yesterday just does not understand odi cricket. He was famtastic.. and he was player of the tourny at last cwc. NZ would not have made semis without him .

I think you should stick to 1 over cricket or highlights if you think bmac was better.

India is the bridesmaid... we hammered india in the test championship too.
Kohli is a choker in big events and knockouts.
Dont count 2011 - he hardly contributed.

Complete nonsense . Kane is a world class batsman and a better odi batsman than Mccullum ever was. Also a significantly better captain than McCullum. McCullum was too one dimensional and his team wouldn't rise like kane's has away from home .

Anyone saying kane didn't play well yesterday just does not understand odi cricket. He was famtastic.. and he was player of the tourny at last cwc. NZ would not have made semis without him .

I think you should stick to 1 over cricket or highlights if you think bmac was better.
We can agree to disagree. This is the Kane of the last 3-4 years or so not before that . He made a snail paced 30 in 55 balls in the 2019 final. in 2019 sf 65 of 95 and 10 of 30 in the 2015 final and hampered both the finals In T2o WC in 2021 he made 5 of 10 ; and in 2022 WC sf he made 45 of 45 - not good enough for T20 . Numbers dont tell the whole story. Its about the impact and SR as well. He is like the post 2015 MS Dhoni who impacted the teams with his low SR and put enormous pressure on his teamamtes. Problem is both are titans in their countries and so people hesitate to criticise them. Simon Doull was the only who openly criticised in his commentary.

And am not an armchair critic. We play weekend club league cricket - would never take a stat padder like Kane in my team . And any stat padders bat at 7 or 8 LOL ! The game has changed thats what I am saying . No role for anchors anymore . NZ will never win a white ball trophy with Kae at the helm or in the team now. And it's OK if our opinions differ !

India is the bridesmaid... we hammered india in the test championship too.
Kohli is a choker in big events and knockouts.
Dont count 2011 - he hardly contributed.
One thing though . Whats really really admirable is that NZ for its population puts out such a good team relatively. The entire pop of NZ is less than any single IPL team home city. That is truly truly remarkable especially when cricket is not even their primary game(y). Teams like Bang should be doing way way better with the player pool and passionate cricket following that they have..

We can agree to disagree. This is the Kane of the last 3-4 years or so not before that . He made a snail paced 30 in 55 balls in the 2019 final. in 2019 sf 65 of 95 and 10 of 30 in the 2015 final and hampered both the finals In T2o WC in 2021 he made 5 of 10 ; and in 2022 WC sf he made 45 of 45 - not good enough for T20 . Numbers dont tell the whole story. Its about the impact and SR as well. He is like the post 2015 MS Dhoni who impacted the teams with his low SR and put enormous pressure on his teamamtes. Problem is both are titans in their countries and so people hesitate to criticise them. Simon Doull was the only who openly criticised in his commentary.

And am not an armchair critic. We play weekend club league cricket - would never take a stat padder like Kane in my team . And any stat padders bat at 7 or 8 LOL ! The game has changed thats what I am saying . No role for anchors anymore . NZ will never win a white ball trophy with Kae at the helm or in the team now. And it's OK if our opinions differ !

Again it's about context - his innings on that pitch in the final was fine. Without a innings like that NZ would have got 150 and we wouldn't have witnessed the best game in odi history.

Better than McCullum approach In 2015 wc final.

Kane is the 2nd best odi batsman in nz currently behind conway.

There is absolutely a role for an anchor in 50 over esp in world cups.

Also there is no way nz win the 2019 if without kane. So I dont know how you are bringing that brilliant innings as criticism. On the same pitch kohli and Rohit got 1

Also stat padded is more someone who tries to pad ttheir strike rate rather than batting for the team and situation like kane does

Since a detailed discussion is going on here just wanted to put my two cents regarding Nz batting line up. Specially their odi history & overall legacy. From fair few amount of cricket that I have seen there are lot of names I would keep ahead of Kane Williamson as top 10 Odi batsmen :

Martin Crowe
Nathan Astle
Roger Twose
Chris Cairns
Ross Taylor
Stephen Fleming
Brendon Mccullum
Martin Guptill
Kane Williamson
Craig Mcmillan

Basically that's how I rate them as of now, Kane can go up if he does something outrageous or extraordinary in this wc. However I don't expect him to do that since he is not the type, always been a steady eddie. Suddenly at 33/34, after almost 14 years he is not going to radically change his approach. So the order will remain unchanged. All the men above I believe were more impactful & capable of playing clutch knocks against superior attacks than him. Conway has done great so far, but it's just too early, he needs to play more. It's for the same reason I didn't put the wild Jesse on the list. Man what a waste of talent he was! Had sheer ability to murder any bowler if he was on mood. Put Cairns on the list despite him being an all-rounder, because he played some of the most famous odi knocks of Nz history in pre t20i era. He was a damn fine enforcer as a bowler, but will always remain famous due to his incredible batting prowess. Styris missed out, but I acknowledge the man was underrated & was an integral part from his era.
This list will certainly not go well with any of the "fab 4" fan or contemporary Nz fan who are accustomed to idolize Kane as their GOAT but difference of opinions is what makes PP so great & popular.

Back