ICC CT : Warm-up : India [129/3] bt. New Zealand [189] by 45 runs (DLS Method)

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Current champions play first warm-up today

INDIA SQUAD R Ashwin, JJ Bumrah, S Dhawan, MS Dhoni†, RA Jadeja, KM Jadhav, KD Karthik, V Kohli*, B Kumar, Mohammed Shami, HH Pandya, AM Rahane, RG Sharma, UT Yadav, Yuvraj Singh

NEW ZEALAND SQUADCJ Anderson, TA Boult, NT Broom, C de Grandhomme, MJ Guptill, TWM Latham, MJ McClenaghan, AF Milne, JDS Neesham, JS Patel, L Ronchi†, MJ Santner, TG Southee, LRPL Taylor, KS Williamson*

Last edited:
Yuvraj is down with viral fever and Rohit Sharma is attending a family event in India.

So probably Dinesh Karthik will play ? He scored 2 centuries in 2 matches in last CT warm-ups :))

Last edited:
Toss: New Zealand win the toss and bat

India XI 12:10 (GMT)
Rahane, Dhawan, Karthik, Kohli*, Dhoni (wk), R Ashwin, Jadeja, K Jadhav, H Pandya, U Yadav, B Kumar

New Zealand XI 12:08 (GMT)
Ronchi (wk), Guptill, Williamson*, Broom, Anderson, Santner, de Grandhomme, Milne, Neesham, Southee, Boult

Middle order looking weaker than usual....

Ideally, you can't play Neesham, Anderson and CdG, they serve the same role and aren't reliable.

Last edited:
Broom shouldn't be in the squad, no idea how he made it.

Shami still doesn't look 100% to me. Should still be more than enough for Pakistan, but I am worried about the SA match.

Anderson at 5 and Santner at 6... Good luck winning a game with that.

Safe to say this NZ side won't be going far this tournament.

Expecting Aus, Eng, India and SA to progress.

Reckon it will be an Aus-Eng Final with Aus taking it out.

Bhuvi is bowling good.He can top the bowling charts in the tournament

Our spinners dont really need practice.Kohli should use all pace bowlers with full quota irrespective of result.This good lesson for pandya who has got good heart and will succed in this tounament.

Bhuvi Bumrah Shami Jaddu Ashwin. Tabahi macha denge. I just hope we get to bat first against Pakistan and hit their bowlers for runs for fun. If we are chasing it will again be some low 220-230 total which we'll win with 5-6 wickets remaining with Kohli finishing off the chase.

Bhuvi Bumrah Shami Jaddu Ashwin. Tabahi macha denge. I just hope we get to bat first against Pakistan and hit their bowlers for runs for fun. If we are chasing it will again be some low 220-230 total which we'll win with 5-6 wickets remaining with Kohli finishing off the chase.

Bhai asli match mein in 5 mein se 4 hi khalenge.Pandya hoga 5va bowler.

NZ top order was easy. Let's see how our trundlers go against the deadly Pakistani lower order. :amir

This is a flat track. Our bowlers bowled good and NZ middle order is weak for this practise match.

Yuvraj is down with viral fever and Rohit Sharma is attending a family event in India.

So probably Dinesh Karthik will play ? He scored 2 centuries in 2 matches in last CT warm-ups :))

Rohit was woeful in IPL. He needed to bat as much as possible in these 2 practice games. Instead he is not even in England?

Ashwin bowling leg breaks? Cricinfo says he has bowled 3 leg breaks today :warne

Indian bowlers have bowled really well today.I can see repeat of 2013 champions trophy

Shami's run up is not looking inspiring it seems he is not 100% fit.

The confidence of NZ batsmen has been shattered by Indian karismatic bowling.It will be good for us before our group stage game against NZ.

Safe to say this NZ side won't be going far this tournament.

Expecting Aus, Eng, India and SA to progress.

Reckon it will be an Aus-Eng Final with Aus taking it out.

Some Pakistani posters wont like your comment as you havent put their team's name in the semifinalists' list.

Huge selection headache for India.

Shami
BK
Bumrah
Yadav
Ashwin
Jaddu
Pandya

Only 5 get to play. All pacers are in tremendous form. Have doubts on shami's fitness. Both spinners in good form too.

Who will miss out?

To me below are a lock
BK
Bumrah
Jaddu

Should Ashwin be dropped for pandya? Mighty tough.

I would play both Ashwin and Umesh/Shami.

Looks like upcoming mega clash between India and pak is going to be quite boring. India's bowling will be too much for Pakistan to handle.

Exactly, I am surprised that not many seem concerned about it. His fitness seems 60-70% at best.

Half fit Shami is causing damage to NZ.I think he deliberately not putting his 100 percent here,rightly so.In main CT we can see full of him.

Exactly, I am surprised that not many seem concerned about it. His fitness seems 60-70% at best.

It has to be seen if he plays against Pakistan or not umesh is looking threatening bumrah is good and bhuvi has bowled beautifully too.
India's bowling is looking threatening even if they don't play shami who I feel was best Asian bowler till 2015 world cup.

Quality bowling performance from India. I think there bowling is stronger than there batting for once.

Surprise choice to bat first, probably Kiwi's wanted to test themselves, batting first in a day game. But, must appreciate Indian pacers - each of them actually bowled a bit slower than their peak to utilize the condition. Shami might not last the entire tournament if India makes it to KOs, while Ashwin shouldn't start on 4th June.

Since watching cricket from 2011, the Indian bowling attack remains to be one of the best in the world, simply world class. All the talk of it consisting of trundlers was actually a big lie, always felt they threatened any batsman that came their way.

Look at the confidence in this tiger.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

All the hate aside, it's a joy to watch these Indian batsmen bat.. so much freedom and so much expressive when they bat.

Lovely bowling by Shami Ma sha Allah

Dhawan is a liability. Would have batted at same pace even if we were chasing 350.

Lol. Our batting is Kohli or bust. Why did we even select someone like Dinesh Karthik? This is gonna be a painful tournament for us I think :(

50 for :kohli

It's drizzling n cloudy but still it's just 190 to get and our batters are making it look like a mountain :(

Karthik should not be anywhere near the final eleven.

Dhawan and Rahane carrying over their pathetic IPL form to CT.

Kartik is a mental midget. In spite of all the talent he simply gets overwhelmed at the highest level.

Everyone in India other than the selectors know karthik should be no where near the team.

Lol. Our batting is Kohli or bust. Why did we even select someone like Dinesh Karthik? This is gonna be a painful tournament for us I think :(

KL is also good but of course, he is injured. Hopefully Kedar can maintain his form from the England series so that we have at least 2 batsmen.

As expected, kohli is yet again bringing out his best in an ICC tournament. Beware all the opponents.

Weird one for NZ. Too many ARs. Still good bowling by India - more disciplined than threatening. Kohli-reliant though. Bowling looks better than batting.

Everyone in India other than the selectors know karthik should be no where near the team.

Chalo atleast you guys also get a taste of the chalice we have been drinking from since the dawn of time :afridi

Everyone in India than the selectors know karthik should be no where near the team.

Sorry, everybody in India doesn't know that. He has had an excellent ranji season this year where he scored at an average of 55.

He was also the highest run scorer in the recently finished VH trophy. Selectors r just respecting his good domestic form. If players don't get picked based on good first class performance than what's the point of having them in the first place.

Indian batsmen had a satisfying day in the middle today. The bowlers and fielders were impressive. It was good to see Kohli batting with fluency. It is the other batsmen who too will need to fire if India have to do well in the tournament.

Chalo atleast you guys also get a taste of the chalice we have been drinking from since the dawn of time :afridi

Our selections have always been dodgy. We even selected Stuart binny to play test cricket not too long ago.

I have lost count of the times that Dinesh Karthik came back to the Indian team only to fail to grab the opportunity, typically getting dismissed for a duck. The inaugural T20 championship in 2007 is still fresh in my memory when he replaced a white hot Yuvraj Singh (injured) in the playing XI against South Africa only to get dismissed for a duck.

LOL.. New Zealand were all bowled out for 184 in a warmup match with 12 overs to spare. Does anyone know WHY they are ranked #4 in ODIs? Any for what reason they are ranked #1 in T20Is? There's absolutely NO remarkable performance to back this up... This just does to show how the ICC team rankings are massively flawed. I wouldn't be suprised if NZ managed to loose against Bangladesh. But somehow they will retain their #4 ranking—maybe even advance up a few a spots despite loosing and loosing.

Hum Jit ke v Har gai :(
Never felt so bad after wining a match lol
No match practice for our batsmen :(

LOL.. New Zealand were all bowled out for 184 in a warmup match with 12 overs to spare. Does anyone know WHY they are ranked #4 in ODIs? Any for what reason they are ranked #1 in T20Is? There's absolutely NO remarkable performance to back this up... This just does to show how the ICC team rankings are massively flawed. I wouldn't be suprised if NZ managed to loose against Bangladesh. But somehow they will retain their #4 ranking—maybe even advance up a few a spots despite loosing and loosing.

LOL. I hope u do follow cricket regularly, right? Why I'm asking this is because this post of urs makes absolutely no sense to me.

Newzealand has an win loss ratio of 1.655 in last 3 years in limuted overs Cricket which is only behind Australia, Southafrica and India. They have won almost 60% of their matches they played in last 3 years and most of these matches were against top sides. There's a reason why they r no 4 ranked odi team, OK?

Chill. It's a warm up

In a span of one match, Pakistan have become the batting powerhouse and India in bowling. Looking forward to the clash of the giants.

India dominated the proceedings in its first ICC Champions Trophy 2017 warm-up game against New Zealand at The Oval in London on Sunday (May 28). Racing towards a target of 190 after the bowlers sent New Zealand packing for 189 in 38.4 overs, India had reached 129 for 3 in 26 overs when the rain came down, forcing the match to be abandoned. India was declared winner by 45 runs on the DLS method.

Virat Kohli and Shikhar Dhawan made short work of the chase, keeping India on track for victory before the rain arrived.

The New Zealand bowlers did get decent purchase off the pitch under the overcast conditions, but after Ajinkya Rahane's exit, effected by a Tim Southee bouncer that he pulled to Trent Boult at long-leg, Kohli and Dhawan took over with a solid second-wicket stand of 68 off 85 deliveries.

The duo got some much-needed batting practice in English conditions, rotating the strike regularly and sending the occasional bad balls to the fence. Dhawan hit 40 off 59 before smacking Jimmy Neesham straight to Corey Anderson at mid-wicket.

Dinesh Karthik, was a late replacement in the squad for the injured Manish Pandey and only playing because Yuvraj Singh was unwell, came out at No. 4 but was dismissed for nought after facing nine deliveries. He holed out to Mitchell Santner at mid-wicket off Boult's bowling, bringing Mahendra Singh Dhoni to the middle, much to the delight of a sizeable Sunday crowd.

Dhoni entertained with an unbeaten 17 off 21 deliveries, which included two fours and a flat six over point that was tipped over the rope by Colin de Grandhomme. Soon after Kohli reached his half-century, the heavens opened up, and the umpires had to take the players off the field. No further play was possible under the conditions, and India stormed home by the DL method.

Earlier, Kane Williamson won the toss and chose to bat, wanting his side to make first use of what he believed would be a decent strip to rack up runs on. The first two overs yielded 20 runs, and just when it looked like the New Zealand captain's decision was vindicated, India’s bowlers struck. Mohammed Shami sent Martin Guptill (9) back, surprising him with a sharp lifter which he drove straight to Bhuvneshwar Kumar at mid-off.

Luke Ronchi continued to attack, but Williamson (8) didn't look too comfortable during his 15-ball stay in the middle. His struggle was put to an end by Shami, who returned in the ninth over to strike twice, removing Williamson and the in-form Neil Broom (0) off successive deliveries.

Anderson (13) and Santner (12) lent brief support to Ronchi, but Bhuvneshwar joined the party to reduce New Zealand to 86 for 4 by the 15th over.

Ronchi's lone-ranger effort of 66, off 63 deliveries with six boundaries and two sixes, ended in the the 21st over when Ravindra Jadeja went past his defence to snap his short association with de Grandhomme.

Jimmy Neesham, batting at No. 8, chipped in with an unbeaten 46 off 47 balls, but could only helplessly watch as Bhuvneshwar (3 for 28) cleaned up the tail and round off a fantastic bowling performance by India.

India will play Bangladesh at the same venue on Tuesday in its final warm-up game while New Zealand takes on Sri Lanka in Birmingham the following day.

Back