ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (172/5) deliver a telling blow to Pakistan's semi-finals chances with a 5-wicket win over Sri Lanka (171)

NZ won't make the same mistake of playing 3 spinners in Bangalore.

They will definitely play at least 3 seam options and leave out Sodhi. Maybe even a 4th seamer in Jamieson who can exploit the bounce this track can offer at times.
You’re also in the same city right?

Did it rain yesterday.

This ground can dry immediately. That's not a concern at all with the Sub Air drainage system we have.

The only concern is if there is rain throughout the day.

I see. But if it’s heavy rain pockets of mud may form no? Regardless of the drainage system.

Well anyways from the forecast it looks like there will be play after 4pm.

You’re also in the same city right?

Did it rain yesterday.
According to a news reporter it was dry most of the day yesterday. Rain is predicted today but it's in the afternoon. Weather is changing too much can't predict it

I see. But if it’s heavy rain pockets of mud may form no? Regardless of the drainage system.

Well anyways from the forecast it looks like there will be play after 4pm.
Even that can be addressed pretty quickly as far as I can tell.

qudrat ka nizam will be in action today

Everyone wants it in action, however there definitely will be play today according to the forecast. Reduced overs.

But yeah SL can end up winning too. 🤣🤣

Everyone wants it in action, however there definitely will be play today according to the forecast. Reduced overs.

But yeah SL can end up winning too. 🤣🤣
if somehow game happens and Sl win
then we are destined to win the wc

Forecast is for rain to stop by 4:00 local time.
Would be a shortened game most likely

Just hope that the rain doesn't stop at all or comes back after stopping

Would be a massive heartbreak if we go out on NRR again

Light drizzles. Not heavy rain. But Chinnaswamy can drain water at a rate of 10,000 litres per minute .

No matter how much it has rained overnight , the ground can be prepared in an hour or so .
How frequent were the light drizzles yesterday?

And just your prediction, do you think we would get a shortened game today or not?

How frequent were the light drizzles yesterday?

And just your prediction, do you think we would get a shortened game today or not?
Think the drizzles were localised and it was more in my part of town. Not sure. It's pretty common here for one side of the city to enjoy bright sunshine and the other to have rains. .

I think we will have a shortened game. But it's certainly looking gloomier than on the morning of NZ vs PAK

It's predicting 90-100% rain from 10 am until 4pm before it was 40 -60%
I am a bangalorean , Cloudy weather more than anything we saw in a month ..Rain is most probably but if match happens as drainage system is good one ball will swing and seam in this conditions..On other hand Bangalore we have seen weather like this and still no rain for days .. Yesterday we had rain but shortened match was possible if it was a match day ..

For all world cups there should be reserve days imo

We are almost in 2024, rain washing a game is silly in this gen.
For group matches, it doesn't make sense and would be a logistical nightmare

people who turned up to the stadium on the first day will most likely have commitments on the second day

Plus broadcasters need to know what to show beforehand. Thay would have the slot on the second day already reserved for something else

We should thank the ICC for putting in a reserve day in knockouts. In knockouts, it makes sense

We don't really need rain in first half. One team can bat 50 overs. Even other than can bat 15 overs. Just need good 3 hr rain spell after that till cut off time thats it.

Sri Lanka batting 2nd, A DLS target and 1 hour of Kusal Mendis going loco.

Strap in boys. Gonna be wild.

For all world cups there should be reserve days imo

We are almost in 2024, rain washing a game is silly in this gen.
10 team world cup already reaching 2 months and you want to further extend it? the best thing was to have 2 games a day to make it short. A 32 team fifa world cup is shroter than cricket world cup

10 team world cup already reaching 2 months and you want to further extend it? the best thing was to have 2 games a day to make it short. A 32 team fifa world cup is shroter than cricket world cup
Football is max 3 hrs game with additional time included.
You can have 3-4 games in a day.

Odi is almost a full day.

T20 wc can be conducted with more games in a day.

Chinnaswamy Stadium WORLD CUP CRICKET MATCH : WEATHER FORECAST: THURSDAY :9-Nov-2023

Update No 5:So we are finally on the match day :) Bangalore has woken up to a cloudy and breezy morning.There is 75% probability for showers in #Bangalore today. Expecting widespread light to moderate showers in the range of 5mm to 35mm between 2.00 PM to 9.00 PM.

More elaborate discussion:

The status of rainfall in the ground for the last 5 days
Nov4: Ground got moderate showers of ~25mm
Nov5: Dry day
Nov6: Ground got heavy showers of ~ 60mm
Nov7: Ground got moderate showers of ~20mm
Nov8: Drizzled for few minutes

Nov9: ?The winds have picked up overnight and appear to be at ~10-12 knots at steering altitude. This would ideally not allow any TS or Rainbands to stay put for long.

Note: There is possibility for few overs to be lost [4-6 overs]. Would be surprised if the match is abandoned or more than 10 overs are lost.

Continuous rain expected according to google, doesn't look like there will be a result today.

Washout will do favour to both SL and pakistan. NZ will ve very unlucky if it washout happens

Washout will do favour to both SL and pakistan. NZ will ve very unlucky if it washout happens
even with rain today, Pakistan and Afghanistan are not guaranteed a win in their last matches and NZ are still more likely to be 4th semi finalist.

even with rain today, Pakistan and Afghanistan are not guaranteed a win in their last matches and NZ are still more likely to be 4th semi finalist.
loll if its a washout pak will give 200 percent in defeating england

Nz are not unlucky they just have beaten Weaker teams and lost their games against India Australia South africa pakistan

I trust Jay Shah to turn on the sprinkler system if the rain stops.

NZ has no chance today. :saqi
They wanted Ind vs Pak final in that Modi stadium. Too bad that's not going to happen anyway

I would like the match to be played.

Everyone should get a fair chance at choosing their destiny even if it means NZ winning.

Wouldnt it be terrible if it rains Pak vs England?

Must think good of others and good will come to you.

Rest is the efforts of Pakistan in their own Quarter Final to try to get a win.

No rain in Bangalore now; some showers are expected at toss time, resulting in a delayed start. Weather is expected to clear in the evening, making a 25 to 30 overs side match very much possible

I don’t know if this has been talked about before but it annoys me to an end that Pakistan doesn’t seem to watch their NRR until it’s too late.

When Pakistan didn’t make the semis in 2019, sarfaraz said that they paid the price for losing badly and going out on NRR and they need to do better next time.

This time round, I can think of two matches where they lost the plot. With AUS when it became obvious they couldn’t win the game, they had no plan to try and play out their 50 overs. Same for their match against SA, they could have played out the 50 overs, and who knows they might have even won the game.

Even with BD, when it became obvious they could win at a canter, they took 4 overs more than necessary. In the context of things, those 4 overs could have greatly helped the NRR

Everyone should get a fair chance at choosing their destiny even if it means NZ winning.

Yes, but the plants need water in Bengaluru too.

Did you think the same way when Pakistan got knocked out due to rain and NRR in 2019? From what i remember NZland were the beneficiaries. Its time they return the favour.

Lol looking at the intensity levels in this thread I seriously keep forgetting Pakistan isn’t playing in this game.

The rain is expected in late afternoon I believe. Don't know if it's raining currently in the stadium.

I think we will have a shortened game.

According to Google, there's supposed to be 90% chances of rain right about now. Not a single drop at my place though it is weird and murky.

Bangalore weather in a nutshell. 10 times more fickle and capricious than PAK team in ICC tournaments.

The disrespect being shown to Sri Lanka is so funny.

Neutrals are all thinking if the match happens, then Sri Lanka will just roll over and lose.

The disrespect being shown to Sri Lanka is so funny.

Neutrals are all thinking if the match happens, then Sri Lanka will just roll over and lose.

Fair point. After all the rain dances, would be dead funny if SL turn up to hammer the living daylights out of NZ in a full game.

Fair point. After all the rain dances, would be dead funny if SL turn up to hammer the living daylights out of NZ in a full game.
If this was slated to be a full game, I doubt Lankans would have had to endure such embarrassment.

Literally every other post on this match is about rain vs New Zealand. New Zealand bowling attack has been minnow level since their last win, they have been smashed to all corners by India, Australia, South Africa and Pakistan.

If this was slated to be a full game, I doubt Lankans would have had to endure such embarrassment.

Literally every other post on this match is about rain vs New Zealand. New Zealand bowling attack has been minnow level since their last win, they have been smashed to all corners by India, Australia, South Africa and Pakistan.
NZ bat first in bengluru against SL attack? 420 on cards?

I think Mathews has to take the new ball. He has been bowling so with the newish ball. It will be overcast conditions, New Zealand will be looking to attack from the get go. Provides a good opportunity to get a wicket or two early on.

Washout seems a bit impossible atm considering the weather updates. Sri Lanka has CT 2025 qualifications at stake whereas NZ has to qualify for Semis. A lot of interest in this game for Pakistani fans as well, hoping for the best here for Pakistan.

SL will be determined to win this match for their own sake as CT qualification is on the line here, if they lose here they may bow out of the CT and Bangladesh qualify ahead of them. And SL is very much capable of defeating teams like they defeated England already.

What if SL wins by 180runs or SL chases in 28 overs, then equation should they win against Eng or just lose by a barest of margin

What if SL wins by 180runs or SL chases in 28 overs, then equation should they win against Eng or just lose by a barest of margin
If NZ lose here by a decent margin and their NRR falls below Pakistan then all Pakistan will need is a respectable defeat in the match against England, not even a Victory.

But in that case Afghanistan should also lose to SA..

If NZ lose here by a decent margin and their NRR falls below Pakistan then all Pakistan will need is a respectable defeat in the match against England, not even a Victory.

But in that case Afghanistan should also lose to SA..
Hopefully Mendis to score a 120 ball 170

Kane Williamson having a knock in the middle ahead of the big clash versus Sri Lanka. Seems like toss will take place on time.

Williamson hinted that fit-again Fergusson could be back in the XI. That would be a big boost for the side’s chances of making the semis.

I have a feeling, it will be a close game. It will be full 50 overs. Sl should give their all. End on a high.

If SL wins today, I will definitely feel that the games are fixed, there is no way NZ should lose to SL

I stopped trusting rain forecasts when

1) Pakistan- India match had a 100% rain forecast in Melbourne but we got a full match

2) during the Asia Cup this year, literally all matches had a 80-90% rain forecast. But Pak- SL and then The final happened without any rain

Its useless expecting rain seeing forecasts.

Back