ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (172/5) deliver a telling blow to Pakistan's semi-finals chances with a 5-wicket win over Sri Lanka (171)

All 15 players of NZ are fit and available for selection today.

They won't be forced to play 4 spinners today

Bright blue skies with white clouds

Lol, you messing with him?

Otherwise where do you live? I live right next to Ulsoor lake (10 minutes from Chinnaswamy)and it's cloudy here but not as dark as it was in the morning.

Edit: Just as typed this, sun peeked thru.

To be conpletly fair guys, if we hope for rain, then we play spoilt sport.

Every game played for fair and just. If anything NZ got unlucky against us, for the full game not being played.

Just hope for the best, and whatever outcome happens we're good with it.

If this 400 game happened to us, Pakistan would be crying on media saying had it not rained we would have crushed our opposition.

So let it play out fam.

Lol, you messing with him?

Otherwise where do you live? I live right next to Ulsoor lake (10 minutes from Chinnaswamy)and it's cloudy here but not as dark as it was in the morning.

Edit: Just as typed this, sun peeked thru.
Near HAL Helicopter factory. It's bright here. There are random bursts of clouds passing by. But the overcast morning is over.

We might get rain in the evening.

Also, it was bright even in the broadcast a while ago but now it's a bit gloomy , lol

New Zealand won the toss and chose to field first.

TEAMS:
New Zealand (Playing XI):
Devon Conway, Rachin Ravindra, Kane Williamson(c), Daryl Mitchell, Mark Chapman, Glenn Phillips, Mitchell Santner, Tom Latham(w), Tim Southee, Trent Boult, Lockie Ferguson

Sri Lanka (Playing XI): Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis(w/c), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Angelo Mathews, Dhananjaya de Silva, Chamika Karunaratne, Maheesh Theekshana, Dushmantha Chameera, Dilshan Madushanka

good toss to lose Sl will enjoy batting conditions hope they have played kusal parrera and go full on attack mode
Overcast conditions and pitch has little bit mosture so bowling first is right decision. Boult and southee can finish this match in PP itself by taking 4-5 wickets .

The broadcast showed why this is the best batting track in the country.

The ball barely loses any pace off the surface and slides on with even bounce .

And the altitude allows the ball to travel .

Nothing to do with dimensions.

With same dimensions, on a track that offered extra bounce , England collapsed to 160.

If NZ chase in 45 overs then Pakistan should win by 160 runs or chase in 23 overs .
If NZ chase in 40 overs then Pakistan should win by 193 or Chase in 19 overs

Without agreeing or disagreeing, I’m interested in what the NZ thinking was behind the decision to bat first.

Exploit early overcast skies while bowling, have the chase in hand when batting?

Or are the Unzuds a wee bit nervous given what happened with Pakistan? :)

swing

Without agreeing or disagreeing, I’m interested in what the NZ thinking was behind the decision to bat first.

Exploit early overcast skies while bowling, have the chase in hand when batting?

swing
50 all out twice in the last month.

swing
Isn’t NZ bowling first here?

I don't think this is like NZ vs PAK Bangalore pitch. That was probably the fastest pitch of the tournament and the bounce was even .

This might be a bit more spongy bounce pitch.

Seems bright and sunny

Congratulations NZ and bye bye Pak. Hope you fare well in the semis

Smart move by NZ to chase here. Means they can boost their NRR easier this way

Latham Dropped parerra but takes Nissanka's catch,,,what an over this is from southee

I don't think this is like NZ vs PAK Bangalore pitch. That was probably the fastest pitch of the tournament and the bounce was even .

This might be a bit more spongy bounce pitch.
i keep confusing bangalore and bengaluru.

How far are these two cities or stats from each other?

Haha. This like the ENG vs SL pitch not NZ vs PAK. Look at that bounce.

260 will be a good score here and this will get better under lights usually :ashwin

Awful start by Lankans.

Expecting this team to beat NZ is far fetched.

Only rain can save pak’s chances, here.

just tuned in - enough motivation for both teams, game should be a cracking game.
Howz the weather so far? Knowing banglore what is now doesnt matter much when it might start raining in an hours time.
but i feel if rains are less, it will be a shortened match
How would that sit with pak chances on the nrr? firstly how much to pak need beat eng by for qualifying?

Kusal gotta play an innings like the one in South Africa impact wise. This pitch is bread and butter for him.

yes they are true when you can't win matches you shouldn't advance to the semi-finals

I mean that's kind of obvious isn't it? No team is advancing to the semi-finals without winning the required number of matches and getting the points that puts them in the top 4.

What kind of a statement is that?

One wicket down, 99.9% of the game left and it is game over?

No, he means because it isn't raining it's over for Pakistan. Doesn't matter how much of the game is left or how many wickets are down. Once the game went ahead, Pakistan had no chance. NZ will not lose to Sri Lanka

Forecast says it will start to rain in 50th over of SRL innings and will continue for 6 hours

Not sure. But this pitch was meant to help SL just like in the previous match against ENG. They'll get beaten out of sight on a flat pitch .

Unfortunately, unlike ENG, NZ chose to chase.

This would have been 2 down if not for Latham dropping a sitter.
Appreciate the help from ICC.

ICC and BCCI will do everything they can to get SL over the line here, maybe even the emergency sprinklers will go off too.

Maybe Jay Shah will hit a chair shot on Williamson.

A Pak v Ind semi in India is too good of a cash cow.

Back