ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (288/6) deliver a 149-run thrashing to Afghanistan (139) in Match 16

Things have not gone according to plan for Afghans. Drooped shoulders since those dropped catches

After 19 overs, New Zealand have scored 105 runs for the loss of 1 wickets. Building a solid partnership here to set up a big total.

Did Afghanistan learn nothing from the last two upsets of this tournament? For a side like theirs, on a good day they can defend even 220 against the best batting side. But they can never handle scorecard pressure, NZ should get 350 from here.

Too little, too late. To justify their toss decision they should have got 3-4 wickets in first 10.

Praying for a choke by NZ, I want to see a competitive game.

Rachin is gone. Clean bowled by Azmatullah. New Zealand is 2 wickets down now. 109/2

Will Young is gone. what a stunning catch by Ikram. New Zealand has lost 2 wickets in the same over. 110/3 now.

What a collapse!

First Pakistan, then South Africa, now New Zealand collapsing!

Did Afghanistan learn nothing from the last two upsets of this tournament? For a side like theirs, on a good day they can defend even 220 against the best batting side. But they can never handle scorecard pressure, NZ should get 350 from here.
350 lol was never ON. this is Chennai

The Chennai wicket is exactly what Satan ordered for a team like Pakistan . It is all about batting and bowling in the middle overs here . The match gets decided there

Afghan win here will open this World Cup wide open giving Australia a historic chance to sneak through the semi. India’s cup to lose still but Afghanistan very capable of beating New Zealand and Pakistan. A win here for Afghanistan will match Kenya’s upset of the West Indies in the 1996 World Cup or Bangladesh’s trashing of Pakistan in 1999 WC.

Looks like another upset loading . Will finish work and head to the stadium to cheer for the Afghans

NZ getting exposed after a fake dominant win over a poor England.

The real powerhouse Afghan showing their strength again. :yk2

After the fall of Daryl Mitchell, I can see that New Zealand will be bundled out soon. 120/4 after 25 overs is not very encouraging to see.

latham is their best player of spin. they should bring a pacer back for him.

that is awesome dude. have fun. take some pics if you can.
must be hot there.
Well as a long term Chennai resident , I can tell you Chennai is not the hottest place in India . Its fun to see Northies complain about Chennai weather , as if they come from Switzerland :)

142/4 after 31 overs for New Zealand. Not good going for them. Need to score quickly here. Afghanistan still has 12 13 overs of spin left and is is not gonna be easy to score against them.

NZ is clearly not shooting for moon and ending up in a collapse. Strategically generally NZ is cut above other SENA teams. Let us see how it pans out. I think it will be hard chasing 250 regardless of whether it is under lights or not

Very low risk cricket by Latham. He is a good player against spin. They have recognized something on the pitch. Otherwise they won't be going like this.

This is possibly the best spin bowling unit i must say suitable for these conditions. As the tournament progresses they will get stronger.

Well as a long term Chennai resident , I can tell you Chennai is not the hottest place in India . Its fun to see Northies complain about Chennai weather , as if they come from Switzerland :)
what places are hotter? vizag i am told is hot

After watching ENgland they probably don't want a similar collapse. Also Afghans hardly give anything.
true. given india is better than all teams at playing spin, wonder if they would struggle vs afghans too. i am worried about afghans tbh. they have had several close games vs us.

Watson is correct. Before chennai games you always have to hydrate yourself. Even a day before in order to get best out of you physical performancewise. Humidity mkes the heat worse than it is.

true. given india is better than all teams at playing spin, wonder if they would struggle vs afghans too. i am worried about afghans tbh. they have had several close games vs us.

India? India already beat them right? You have to positive feet movement. If someone bats like England (camping on the backfoot) you are in trouble. Root like a scared kitten went on the backfoot to a ball he had to come forward.

India? India already beat them right? You have to positive feet movement. If someone bats like England (camping on the backfoot) you are in trouble. Root like a scared kitten went on the backfoot to a ball he had to come forward.
sorry i meant in turning pitches is what i meant. would india struggle?

Such a stupid decision by afg to bowl. Their strength is defending targets with the spinners. They are not not chasing anything above 230. Nz is well on track for a 270 here. Such a dumb call by afg. And how can you bench noor ahmed ?

rashid khan not happy with the decision. joel is a poor umpire

If i remember right this analysis was done by Bishop before. And also Damien fleming too i think. The release point of Naveen and Bumrah are farther than any other bowlers. Bumrah has higher speed. 135 k from Bumrah will appear quicker than 135k from Cummins or Shaheen.

Back