India [204/4] beat New Zealand [203/5] by 6 wickets in the first T20I to take 1-0 series lead

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
New Zealand have won eight of the 11 head-to-head T20I contests against India. In a World Cup year, Virat Kohli's men will be keen to build on their recent form to address those numbers.

Overview:

New Zealand v India, 1st T20I
Eden Park, Auckland
Friday, 24 January; 07:50pm local, 06.50am GMT

Because of Shikhar Dhawan's shoulder injury, KL Rahul will likely retain his opener's slot in the format, this time with Rohit Sharma. While Shreyas Iyer has consolidated his position in the middle order, the series presents another opportunity for Rishabh Pant to establish himself in the set-up. The management could be tempted to test 'keeper-batsman Sanju Samson and young Prithvi Shaw too, both of whom showed signs of good form while playing for India A in the 50-over series in New Zealand.

The abundance of options in the bowling department could result in rotation throughout the series, while the seam-friendly conditions might just see Shivam Dube edge Washington Sundar for the second all-rounder's spot.

As for the hosts, the tour to Australia was a forgettable one, where they were swept 3-0 in Tests. However, a blend of youth and experience makes them a formidable T20I outfit, especially in their home conditions. The team will be bolstered by the return of Kane Williamson, who will take the field in limited overs internationals for the first time since the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019 final at Lord's.

The fact that both teams are evenly matched and close on the MRF Tyres ICC T20I Team Rankings, along with memories of their last international meeting – the World Cup semi-final finish in Manchester – promises to make the five-match series an exciting affair.

Remember the last time

With a win each in the first two games of the three-match series, the two teams headed to Hamilton for the decider, which turned out to be a high-scoring thriller. New Zealand, powered by Colin Munro's 72 and some useful contributions from skipper Williamson (27), 'keeper-batsman Tim Seifert (43) and Colin de Grandhomme (30), posted 212/4 in the first innings after being put in.

India lost Dhawan early in the chase, but Rohit, the stand-in skipper, played the anchor's role to keep the visitors in hunt, getting able support from Vijay Shankar (43), Pant (28) and Hardik Pandya (21). However, all-rounder Daryl Mitchell and paceman Scott Kuggeleijn struck some crucial blows to reduce India to 145/6, leaving another 68 to get off the final 28 balls. Dinesh Karthik and Krunal Pandya got them close, but Tim Southee defended 15 in the final over, helping his side to a narrow four-run win.

What they said

Virat Kohli, India captain: "Honestly, even if you want to think of revenge, these guys are so nice, you can't get into that zone. We get along really well with all these guys and it's all about just being competitive on the field. One thing that I have done is I just focus on what I can do for the team and the vision that needs to be there to take the team forward."

Tim Southee, New Zealand vice-captain: "We had a big chunk of Test cricket and the guys that were in Australia are reasonably experienced guys … they've had tough tours before and they've bounced back and the reason why they've played for a long period of time is they've been able to get through those ups and downs. It's about making that adjustment. What's gone is gone and it was very disappointing, the guys would have learnt from it, and now we've got to look forward to the Indian series."

Conditions

The weather is expected to be largely clear with moderate breeze. A flat batting surface, aided by the small ground dimensions, makes Auckland a paradise for batsmen and a minefield for bowlers. The last T20I played at Eden Park saw 292 runs being scored in a mere 22 overs across two innings of a rain-curtailed game, before a Super Over decided the outcome of yet another New Zealand-England decider.

New Zealand Squad:

Martin Guptill, Colin Munro, Kane Williamson, Tim Seifert, Ross Taylor, Colin de Grandhomme, Daryl Mitchell, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ish Sodhi, Blair Tickner, Scott Kuggeleijn, Hamish Bennett

India Squad:

Virat Kohli (c), Rishabh Pant (wk), Rohit Sharma, Lokesh Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Washington Sundar, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal, Sanju Samson, Mohammed Shami, Navdeep Saini, Kuldeep Yadav, Shivam Dube

Teams:

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma, Lokesh Rahul(w), Virat Kohli(c), Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal, Mohammed Shami

New Zealand (Playing XI): Martin Guptill, Colin Munro, Kane Williamson(c), Tim Seifert(w), Ross Taylor, Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ish Sodhi, Blair Tickner, Hamish Bennett

What an awful team selection ! :))

Shardul, Manish, Jadeja and Chahal should be nowhere near the T20 team.

This is the reason why Kohli will never win an ICC tournament,every match he changes the squad and didn't back the players

India have won the toss and have opted to field

Teams:

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma, Lokesh Rahul(w), Virat Kohli(c), Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal, Mohammed Shami

New Zealand (Playing XI): Martin Guptill, Colin Munro, Kane Williamson(c), Tim Seifert(w), Ross Taylor, Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ish Sodhi, Blair Tickner, Hamish Bennett

Glad you took the red pill.

:sa

Jokes and sarcasm aside the thing that I don't understand is a guy who can methodically build an innings bit by bit and execute chases with surgical precision most definitely be smarter than average. How does he messes up the selection time and time again is just beyond me

Why Thakur selected again & again .I won't be surprised if he selected in test squad as injured Ishant place

NZ 21/0 (2.3) CRR: 8.4

Okish start from NZ.

Thakur's display really reinforces a saying, play stupid games win stupid prizes. Another brilliant captaincy display from kohli.

Why do we even bother with this Thakur guy?

Kohli has to be dumbest ever captain...

NZ 50/0 (4.5) CRR: 10.34
India opt to bowl

This is pretty strong showing so far

So Saini was dropped to accommodate this trundler?

Kohli has really devalued India cap...

I m happy that even if we lose ,Shardul is being exposed and also Kohli’s selection.There should be a limit to stubbornness.

Why do we even bother with this Thakur guy?

Kohli has to be dumbest ever captain...

I still remember when WestIndies test series was there in 2018 where Siraj should be selected instead this guy gets selected and bowls 2 overs then gets injured.

Last edited:
I duno we dont have a very strong bowling lineup today. Anything chasable on Eden Park.
You'll win with whatever total you guys set us for us to chase...We've a grand total of 3ish batsmen in our batting lineup...

Eden Park does have that wierd one normal sized boundary that a smart spinner can use to their advantage.

Bold prediction: NZ won't score over 160 and we are winning it comfortably.

*Time to log off and lurk in the shadows lol. ��

Where is Krunal Pandya?,he was doing decent with the ball and got 3 mom outside Asia.

They are trying to identify some spots for the world T20. Hope Thakur is not in the picture.

Success at last for India

Guptill c Rohit b Shivam Dube 30(19)

[MENTION=131138]Space Cat[/MENTION] Why Ross Taylor is in the squad?

How can you forget Kohli? He definitely treats him as a world beater.....

Kohli and thick tank are responsible for ttfs and those with no future in the team getting chances again and again. It is why we ended up with 3 wks and jadhav In a wc semifinal where we had a chaseable total and blew it because of no planning and foresight from him and bewda. Even now we keep tinkering for no reason and not letting the young players play without insecurity. What has pandey done to keep.getting parachuted into the team and why do jadeja and dhawan keep getting picked in t20s which they have never been good at.

Hardik Pandya last time won a match with a sizzling cameo in the end overs. So he will walk in.

Kohli and thick tank are responsible for ttfs and those with no future in the team getting chances again and again. It is why we ended up with 3 wks and jadhav In a wc semifinal where we had a chaseable total and blew it because of no planning and foresight from him and bewda. Even now we keep tinkering for no reason and not letting the young players play without insecurity. What has pandey done to keep.getting parachuted into the team and why do jadeja and dhawan keep getting picked in t20s which they have never been good at.
True.

What will Gill and Shaw have to do to enter into this world beater T20 team?

NZ letting all that momentum fizzle out here. Not sure about Kane batting at 3 in T20s he should only open but happy to be proven wrong.

Why do the grounds look greener and the screen looks clearer in Aus and NZ? Even the top view of the pitch (when the bowler bowls to batsmen) looks different here.

Why do the grounds look greener and the screen looks clearer in Aus and NZ? Even the top view of the pitch (when the bowler bowls to batsmen) looks different here.

Everything is 1080p in NZ. We live in ultra HD

Poor fielding continues. They make school boy errors. only one match can be excused. Nutball schedule.

The air quality i guess... I live in Melbourne and though its grey and recently it was smoky because of Bushfires... but on a Sunny day you can see clear sky.. Subcontinent has lots of haze and dust in the air..
also whole of subcontinent is an unending construction zone due to development.

Navdeep saini should be an obvious choice if there is no Bhuvi. Hope Kohli learnt the hard lesson.

Air is much cleaner over there. No smog at all.

True.

What will Gill and Shaw have to do to enter into this world beater T20 team?

Proper middle order and late order bats are an issue for us. Kohli being the egomaniac that he is doesn't want anyone who may threaten his place as captain. Dhawans wife and anushka plastic sharma are friends that's why he keeps picking him even if hr has no future until say the 2023 wc. There was no reason for someone like iyer not to play at least 20 Odis at number 4 from 2016 onwards which would have given him assurance and the team stability. OTOH we didn't even stick with a rayudu who had been a middle order mainstay in the wc despite having played there the most leading up to the tournament. Pandey and jadhav type picks are those that are of no threat to existing apple cart so they find favor with him.

Back