India reach 146/3 at close of a truncated Day 2 of the World Test Championship final

Last few deliveries from Boult, Rahane and Kohli have tried to play the ball to midwicket instead of mid-on. Closing the face increases the chances of lbw, something they have done so well to avoid so far.

Yes southee has swung the ball but he's been too wide and when he's tried the in dipper he's strayed on to the pads and offered easy runs.
Got to make the batsmen play more by bowling closer to the stumps.

They are off for bad light again, annoying how the lights are on and still the umpires deem it unplayable.

They are off for bad light again, annoying how the lights are on and still the umpires deem it unplayable.

Its the red ball - it is not visible in flood lights. Flood lights are no substitute for natural lights in a day test match.

Its the red ball - it is not visible in flood lights. Flood lights are no substitute for natural lights in a day test match.

Of course, conditions cannot be perfect. It's just that umpires have always been keen to take players off when the light dims and take a cautious light meter reading which then becomes a benchmark for the rest of the match. However, at some stage common sense needs to prevail and there should be guidelines for umpires to only take players off when conditions are genuinely dangerous for play.

All these delays do a lot of harm to test cricket.

:)))

I went off at 120/3 thinking it's done.

Can't believe they came back twice after that. :uakmal

Kohli is lucky to still be there

I dare say india is in a winning position.

NZ some cheap wickets quickly

Another 150 more runs and its Hammer, Nail, Coffin for NZ.. NZ need some wickets asap, 300 runs on board and facing Ishant, Bumrah, Shami & the spin twins will be too much for NZ..

Not really. Not really been chancy in his innings. Hasn’t been dropped, nor has he survived poor umpiring decisions. Has been in control as much as one can be in these conditions, the odd streaky edge notwithstanding. Has been quiet by his standards but that’s because that’s been the requirement of the conditions. Will need to continue to play “boring” cricket to take IND across the line.

Of course, conditions cannot be perfect. It's just that umpires have always been keen to take players off when the light dims and take a cautious light meter reading which then becomes a benchmark for the rest of the match. However, at some stage common sense needs to prevail and there should be guidelines for umpires to only take players off when conditions are genuinely dangerous for play.

All these delays do a lot of harm to test cricket.

Its patently unfair to ask a batsman to play when the ball is not visible - it makes conditions lopsided in favor of the bowling team. I get that the repeated interruptions are frustrating for everyone, but you cant make the game unfair to satisfy the spectators.

ICC should have thought about weather conditions before playing a WTC final in June in South England.

How? He middled 90% of the balls. Just 2 edges twice beaten. Edges fell well infront of the fielders with zero chance. In these conditions against this kind of attack even 70% of middling is acceptable.

It seems many people are forgetting that there is a reserve day (23rd June) as well. So a result is still very likely.

If there is no more play, we will be losing only 25 overs today which can be recovered in next 3 days.

Still 4 days to go, first day has 65 overs completed.

If there is no more play, we will be losing only 25 overs today which can be recovered in next 3 days.

Still 4 days to go, first day has 65 overs completed.

Rain predicted whole day Monday - most likely that day would be washed out as well.

He has played really well in these conditions where 60 overs-old ball is moving. Not sure why you think that he has been lucky. He is leaving balls well, he is playing close to the body.

:)))

I went off at 120/3 thinking it's done.

Can't believe they came back twice after that. :uakmal

It is an English summer day. Sunset is at 9:26 pm. Don’t be surprised if they are back again.

It is an English summer day. Sunset is at 9:26 pm. Don’t be surprised if they are back again.

Apparantly sun rises at 5 am and goes down haft past nine!!!

Why cant test start earlier? Say 9 am?

India will win if they make 300.

For the last 3 weeks you have been going on and on and on how India will be schooled by Southee and other NZ pace demons. Took you only 60 overs to change your tune? No conviction at all. Sad.

For the last 3 weeks you have been going on and on and on how India will be schooled by Southee and other NZ pace demons. Took you only 60 overs to change your tune? No conviction at all. Sad.

I've "been going on and on" for 3 weeks ? Really?
I just made a few comments before the start of this match.
Yea I thought nz would be all over india. And even then I stated the reason being the lack of match practice.
Some predictions can go wrong. What is wrong with that?
Most fans, even Indian fans, expected india to be bundled out.

Its patently unfair to ask a batsman to play when the ball is not visible - it makes conditions lopsided in favor of the bowling team. I get that the repeated interruptions are frustrating for everyone, but you cant make the game unfair to satisfy the spectators.

ICC should have thought about weather conditions before playing a WTC final in June in South England.

Nah, it's always overblown by the officials. The women's test in Bristol is currently been played in considerably worse light than the level at which the umpires took the players off in Southampton. There is a lack of will from the officials to be flexible around the issue.

In 2017, there was a directive from the ICC to continue playing under lights as long as it wasn't physically dangerous for the batsmen, which allowed a significant portion of a day's play in the West Indies - England test at Lord's to be played practically under artificial lights without any ill-effects for the players. That flexibility seemed to disappear without explanation afterwards.

There needs to be more transparency and better communication between players, officials, and fans around bad light. The first step is to make public the readings on the light meter which they recognize as benchmarks for dangerous light conditions.

This test is being played in worse light than the one for which the players went off in Southampton. Does it mean the women cricketers have better eyesight? Sure the pace of the bowling is slower, but then again the umpires at the WTC final didn't seem to ask Williamson to take off his fast bowlers.

I think if NZ had spinners in their team the play could have continued a bit more, but they shot themselves on the foot by packing 5 pacers.

I think if NZ had spinners in their team the play could have continued a bit more, but they shot themselves on the foot by packing 5 pacers.

NZ wouldn't have dared pick five pacers if over rate penalties of runs applied to the final. They know what they are doing.

There is no global standard for how the umpires should interpret the light I think. They set a standard for each match. They just follow that standard throughout the match. Besides, that spin bowlers are safer to bat against in low lights.

Nah, it's always overblown by the officials. The women's test in Bristol is currently been played in considerably worse light than the level at which the umpires took the players off in Southampton. There is a lack of will from the officials to be flexible around the issue.

In 2017, there was a directive from the ICC to continue playing under lights as long as it wasn't physically dangerous for the batsmen, which allowed a significant portion of a day's play in the West Indies - England test at Lord's to be played practically under artificial lights without any ill-effects for the players. That flexibility seemed to disappear without explanation afterwards.

There needs to be more transparency and better communication between players, officials, and fans around bad light. The first step is to make public the readings on the light meter which they recognize as benchmarks for dangerous light conditions.

It's not so much about if it's dangerous to continue or not, but it's more about if continuing to play in reduced light conditions would be unfair to one of the teams and handicap the batting team or not. Someone like Boult isn't going to knock out a batsman even in dark conditions. But in reduced light conditions, the batsman might miss an inswinger and might trigger a collapse which might not have happened in normal light conditions.

Imagine team A batting in reduced visibility and losing wickets in a clump late in the day, while team B bats next day, but light remains good and as a result, team B doesn't get the same handicap that Team A got during its batting innings.

It's not so much about if it's dangerous to continue or not, but it's more about if continuing to play in reduced light conditions would be unfair to one of the teams and handicap the batting team or not. Someone like Boult isn't going to knock out a batsman even in dark conditions. But in reduced light conditions, the batsman might miss an inswinger and might trigger a collapse which might not have happened in normal light conditions.

Imagine team A batting in reduced visibility and losing wickets in a clump late in the day, while team B bats next day, but light remains good and as a result, team B doesn't get the same handicap that Team A got during its batting innings.

The very essence of test cricket is for the play to be subject to varied pitch and environmental conditions, if the interpretation is that conditions should be fair at all times then no team should be asked to bat on Day 5 on a crumbling pitch. Nor should there be the dusk advantage to the fielding team in a pink ball test.

The very essence of test cricket is for the play to be subject to varied pitch and environmental conditions, if the interpretation is that conditions should be fair at all times then no team should be asked to bat on Day 5 on a crumbling pitch. Nor should there be the dusk advantage to the fielding team in a pink ball test.

You are right about conditions changing, but I won't put varied pitch conditions with low light conditions. One situation is beyond the umpire's control, but the umpire can fully control the same light standards for both teams.

You are right about conditions changing, but I won't put varied pitch conditions with low light conditions. One situation is beyond the umpire's control, but the umpire can fully control the same light standards for both teams.

There has to be a balance struck between dangerous light and overcautious umpiring. It's one of the most frustrating experiences for spectators to be told that there won't be any play due to bad light.

We can't have it both ways, when we complain that test cricket is not spectator friendly and that it should be more inclusive, imagine the impact on someone who's spent the best part of a hundred pounds to go watch a day's play and then be shown up by the officials despite there being no rain.

Spectators for the most part are not stupid, they realize when the light is too dangerous for batting. A little bit of transparency from the officials is all that is required.

There has to be a balance struck between dangerous light and overcautious umpiring.

And how do you do that? Surely you do that only by having a universal light threshold because what visibility is "dangerous to play" is a highly subjective opinion, isn't it..

Virat Kohli finished the second day of the ICC World Test Championship Final unbeaten on 44 as India and New Zealand are evenly poised.

Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane put on an unbeaten stand of 58 as India battled to 146/3 when bad light forced an early end to the day, with only 64.4 overs of play possible.

After a washout on day one, New Zealand won the toss and elected to bowl, looking to make the most of the overcast conditions in Southampton.

The Indian players wore a black armband in memory of Milkha Singh, the great Indian athlete who passed away at the age of 91 on Friday.

And it was India who started stronger as Rohit Sharma and Shubman Gill combined to put on 62 for the first wicket.

Sharma looked particularly threatening, with two boundaries through the offside in Tim Southee’s fourth over of the morning.
However, Kyle Jamieson made the breakthrough with a full ball angled in. It moved away late and Sharma edged to Southee at third slip for 34.

His dismissal slowed the scoring, and he was soon joined by opening partner Gill, who feathered one through to BJ Watling off the bowling of Neil Wagner for 28.

Cheteshwar Pujara and Kohli saw India through to lunch at 69/2 but the scoring rate had dropped rapidly, and that continued into the second session.

Eventually that pressure told and Pujara fell LBW to Trent Boult for just eight, leaving India 88/3.

Rahane joined Kohli in the middle as India tried to rebuild. The pair knuckled down and got their side to 120/3 at tea, with bad light forcing the players off.

Just three more overs were possible after lunch until another enforced break, lasting half an hour.

On the return, Rahane and Kohli continued to accumulate, taking their partnership past 50 before bad light meant an early end to proceedings.

Brief scores:

India 146/3 in 64.4 overs (Virat Kohli 44 not out, Rohit Sharma 34; Kyle Jamieson 1/14, Neil Wagner 1/28)

And how do you do that? Surely you do that only by having a universal light threshold because what visibility is "dangerous to play" is a highly subjective opinion, isn't it..

There should be sufficient data points from light meter readings from each test venue around England over the last four decades for them to have sufficiently objective measures of what exactly constitutes bad light and what reading constitutes unplayable conditions.

It's ludicrous that in this day and age we are still vulnerable to the nebulous judgment of umpires, which isn't even communicated properly to the fans at the ground.

DK commentary is cringeworthy. He is clearly subservient to BCCI standards, but Atherton, and Sanga have schooled DK live on air.

As for match, lets not baptise The Indian team, if you claim to be top, then play like the top. Kohli’s captain’s innings is expected if he is considered to be a great. Stop blaming the weather!

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be sufficient data points from light meter readings from each test venue around England over the last four decades for them to have sufficiently objective measures of what exactly constitutes bad light and what reading constitutes unplayable conditions.

It's ludicrous that in this day and age we are still vulnerable to the nebulous judgment of umpires, which isn't even communicated properly to the fans at the ground.

But we do not know if the umpires took an arbitrary number as the threshold to go off in this match..

For all we know they might have a designated universal visibility threshold and operating based on that. We just might not be informed about it.

But we do not know if the umpires took an arbitrary number as the threshold to go off in this match..

For all we know they might have a designated universal visibility threshold and operating based on that. We just might not be informed about it.

That's my whole point, all it needs is a bit more transparency from the ICC about when umpires take players off for bad light. These disruptions due to bad light are significantly more dispiriting for fans than rain interruptions.

I've "been going on and on" for 3 weeks ? Really?
I just made a few comments before the start of this match.
Yea I thought nz would be all over india. And even then I stated the reason being the lack of match practice.
Some predictions can go wrong. What is wrong with that?
Most fans, even Indian fans, expected india to be bundled out.

Lmao. That's precious.

You have been moaning about how India were unworthy of the WTC final and how you'd rather watch AUS among other gibberish. Given the intensity of your rants for the past few weeks, surprised that it took a mere 60 overs for you to change your stance. Weak.

Such a shame that this lovely game would get rained off. Unless India get 450 and bowl out NZ twice!

Former India batsman Virender Sehwag called out the on-field umpires in the ongoing World Test Championship (WTC) final between India and New Zealand.

"Funny umpiring there with Virat. No decision was given by the umpire and it automatically became a review. Tuning in to the Women's test match, for the time being, hoping for Harman and Punam to save the Test match," tweeted Sehwag.

The incident happened in the 41st over of the innings. Pacer Trent Boult appealed after he thought Kohli had edged the ball and it was a caught-behind dismissal.

The umpire did not give a decision but still, the final call was asked to be given by the third umpire. The catch was clean and the third umpire checked it with 'UltraEdge'. However, UltraEdge could only be checked when an opposition captain asks for a review.

UltraEdge is used to see whether the batsman has hit the ball or not. New Zealand also did not lose a review as skipper Williamson had not asked for a referral.

Kohli was also not pleased with the third umpire looking at the UltraEdge and he was seen asking the on-field umpires for a clarification.

At the lunch break, India's score reads 69/2 with Kohli (6*) and Pujara (0*) at the crease. While Rohit (34) was dismissed by Kyle Jamieson in the 21st over of the innings, Gill was sent back by Neil Wagner towards the end of the first session for 28.

Earlier, New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson won the toss and opted to field first in the much-awaited World Test Championship (WTC) final against India. Incessant rain saw the opening day's play being washed off at the Ageas Bowl on Friday

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...ng-during-virat-kohlis-stint-at-crease/773062

That new ball spell was some of the worst bowling I've seen from us in favorable conditions.

Missed the mark and let the openers get away, a good start there and India could have been 6-7 down at stumps.

But that's pointless, not good enough. Southee and Boult will need to step up.

That new ball spell was some of the worst bowling I've seen from us in favorable conditions.

Missed the mark and let the openers get away, a good start there and India could have been 6-7 down at stumps.

But that's pointless, not good enough. Southee and Boult will need to step up.

Yup, NZ didnt ball well in first hour or so, which was a big surprise since the conditions were tailor made for them. This might prove costly for NZ later, as the more runs India scores the more the Indian spinners will come into play in the 4th innings (provided there will be a 4th innings!)

Lmao. That's precious.

You have been moaning about how India were unworthy of the WTC final and how you'd rather watch AUS among other gibberish. Given the intensity of your rants for the past few weeks, surprised that it took a mere 60 overs for you to change your stance. Weak.

Oh please. Literally every Indian poster on this site thought india would be bundled out for under 100. Go attack them. Weak of you to make me your only target when no one else gave india a chance to survive the day.
Indias batting today exceeded everyone's expectations.

Nz just won in england and india just arrived with no match practice. My comments were Perfectly reasonable. Get off your high horse

I never "moaned" about india being unworthy of the WTC final. You are probably confusing the many other anti india posts with mine. They seem to have triggered you immensely.

There were 65 overs still bowled today with 5pacers. If we can get around ~75 overs daily for next 4 days, and with amount of swing on offer and spin later due to footmarks, this game still has more chance of result than a draw

Oh please. Literally every Indian poster on this site thought india would be bundled out for under 100. Go attack them. Weak of you to make me your only target when no one else gave india a chance to survive the day.
Indias batting today exceeded everyone's expectations.

Nz just won in england and india just arrived with no match practice. My comments were Perfectly reasonable. Get off your high horse

I never "moaned" about india being unworthy of the WTC final. You are probably confusing the many other anti india posts with mine. They seem to have triggered you immensely.
We Indians have a habit of jinxing our own players in the hope of creating a miracle win.New Zealand were clear favorites going into this match due to their preparation as opposed to the Indian team that arrived a week ago without any match practice.The confidence with which gill and sharma played against the best bowling attack was commendable.

NZ wouldn't have dared pick five pacers if over rate penalties of runs applied to the final. They know what they are doing.

NZ bowled 28 overs in the first session, which is pretty good. de Grandhomme rattles through his overs very quickly, so I don’t think NZ will have too many problems getting through 90 overs in a day.

NZ bowled 28 overs in the first session, which is pretty good. de Grandhomme rattles through his overs very quickly, so I don’t think NZ will have too many problems getting through 90 overs in a day.
First session and 4 the session of a bowling innings is quite diffrent energy wise. And nz have to bowl in two innings without a spinner. They just dont care and rightly so. Not their place to make rules about overrate in final.

This match is going to be a drawn test. NZ will bat defensively too and their batsmen won't throw their wickets. Expect quality cricket as both teams are in finals and willing to spend time long enough on crease to make things count.

WTC Finals will be going to be like test cricket was in 80s. Run rate will be around 2.2-2.3, attrition cricket will be the priority and that will be enough for a drawn test match considering that there will also be rain/bad light interruptions in this test.

Back