India reach 146/3 at close of a truncated Day 2 of the World Test Championship final

Our batting always relies on a gun knock from someone out of nowhere.

There is no solidity to be honest.

In Aus, it was scary to watch our batting.

Excellent channel bowling so far. India has to play out of their skins to avoid folding before 200.

Ball swinging miles away because of the conditions, and the fact these bowlers are extremely skillful.

Kudos to openers :salute

Yeah. Under Kohli our bowling has greatly beefed up. However at the same time our batting is at its lowest point under him.

Whats a good score here guys?

Generally in ENG if you can scrape your way to ~300 you should always be in the game. Journey to 150 will be important for IND as Bumrah, Shami, Ishant are not the best tailenders in terms of runs contributed. Ideally, minimise the gulf to 300 as much as possible and leave less work for Pant, Jadeja and Ashwin.

Not really. The AUS line-up looked far more brittle and it looked like a wicket was always around the corner when they were batting.

IND looked composed in comparison.

250 is bare minimum.

Yeah. Under Kohli our bowling has greatly beefed up. However at the same time our batting is at its lowest point under him.

260 plus will be good enough for our bowlers

Generally in ENG if you can scrape your way to ~300 you should always be in the game. Journey to 150 will be important for IND as Bumrah, Shami, Ishant are not the best tailenders in terms of runs contributed. Ideally, minimise the gulf to 300 as much as possible and leave less work for Pant, Jadeja and Ashwin.

I see...somehow get to 250 and we are in a good position.

Williamson gambled BIG time bowling first.

We escape in first innings and we will have a HUGE advantage.

Kohli is such a busy batsman, always looking for runs. Great trait to have.

NZD need to plug the gap behind square on the offside. Good opportunities exist right now for guiding the ball on top of the bounce.

I see...somehow get to 250 and we are in a good position.

Williamson gambled BIG time bowling first.

We escape in first innings and we will have a HUGE advantage.
Yeah, especially with our spin twins. That's why it's so imperative to score big runs in our 1st innings.

Not really. The AUS line-up looked far more brittle and it looked like a wicket was always around the corner when they were batting.

IND looked composed in comparison.

I wasn't comparing.

I was talking about our batting....especially from a fans point of view.

We got some magical performances from many batsman at different intervals.

Even if 1-2 of them had flopped (like Sundar or Shardul in 4th test), the series would have swung.

I look at the outfield and think that even if PAK would have batted well in these conditions in terms of application, PAK would have been at least 20 runs behind due to the number of 3s required due to this outfield.

New Zealand are averaging 2.24 degrees of swing in this innings. That's the most they have recorded in any Test innings since records began in 2006.

:tb

Not to mention pretty sure they also swing both ways.

I wasn't comparing.

I was talking about our batting....especially from a fans point of view.

We got some magical performances from many batsman at different intervals.

Even if 1-2 of them had flopped (like Sundar or Shardul in 4th test), the series would have swung.

Understood. Lower order runs are very important, yes, especially on away tours.

Rahane better not be falling over with his head in his first few overs. Has the game. Needs to show it here. Not much rope left for him otherwise.

So far so good despite early wobbles. Hopefully keeps his head in a good position.

Get Kohli and we will be bowled under 250.

Southee in for the same reason.

Get Kohli and we will be bowled under 250.

Southee in for the same reason.

Pant is still to come and is in some red ball form so you never know who might click and get the score to a decent level.

Don’t get this field. Virat’s not going to play the orthodox cut with the horizontal bat given his grip. Standing outside the crease and only really caressing genuine half-volleys he will score more in the V. Can afford to have the point sweeper inside the ring and avoid that single. He will however nudge this for a single or double square of the wicket.

Rahane is more likely to play the horizontal bat shot to the short of a length ball from CDG.

Can gamble for the odd boundary to keep Virat on strike against CDG.

Yes. And it's especially weak considering that Rahane averages less than 35 with the bat over his last 44 tests I.e. since late 2016. Our batting is incredibly weak nowadays.
Hmmm...yep he might not be the most consistent around in the indian team...but his utility as a close is fielder is supremely underated, i'd tolerate his inconsistency as he is the sort of guy who takes 0.25 of a close in catch into one...and does it effortesly.....and he fires every 4thish game...maybe today is his day....Go jinks...Go indiaaa....:ua

I'd say we've done pretty well considering the conditions and considering its hooping around corners....if this was in india.....the whole india win only in indian conditions battalion would be crawling out of the woodwork and melting the internet...
good intent by our guys and good fight shown....

What do u think 1st innings compatative score for india. ?
As I said earlier 250 is bare minimum. 350 will be a great score on this pitch especially with spin twins in our ranks.

India always gets bagged for doing well in indian conditions......these conditions are more new zealand than indian.....we donot whinge.....considering this....we've done well....just shows we deserve to be where we are....amongst the two best teams playing the finals.

Yeah sadly looks like it might pour down any second.

Lights going down rapidly. Indian bats offered light and they've taken it.

England strikes again.

They have won this India v New Zealand test match.

Good patient batting by India. A big step up in quality from the England line up.

I would have loved to see normal 5 days of cricket in good weather for this test. On-off rain, light etc takes away the fun.

Poor venue for final, but outside of NZ/Eng, this game would have become one-sided. Here NZ can make it one-sided, but India has played well so far.

This Duke ball is swinging like a banana even in 54th over. Kookburra would not do this even under overcast conditions. Batting side is never in until the swing goes away. It doesn't look like it is going away. To compound the matter everybody in NZ bowling line up swings. Even Wagner.

Another even session. Seriously hard conditions. We usually are all out by now.

Although this will most likely end up in a farcical draw, one big positive from this game is that our batters have/would play against probably the best "English conditions attack" out there before the big series again England.

I'm confident of them doing much better this time around against the English attack. :)

The control of Virat Kohli is 90% - playing in one of the toughest conditions against a great pace attack of New Zealand. Captain standing tall in the final.
View attachment 109877

He's a genius. Technically the most brilliant batsman currently. In 2018 he showed his mastery by devising a method to dominate in england and today again he's continued from where he left.

Southee has been exceptional since his second spell. The reason behind lack of success is he is bowling mostly to Kohli who has batted as good as ever in tests today.

Sunil Gavaskar pointed out that Virat Kohli is now pushing towards the ball which he wasn't doing before tea, the bat and pads were like twins before tea.

Southee is swinging it too much today. Hes beating the bat often now but no edges.

Sunil Gavaskar pointed out that Virat Kohli is now pushing towards the ball which he wasn't doing before tea, the bat and pads were like twins before tea.

Or a newly married couple 😂

But its crazy how much that ball is swinging in the 59th over.

Why does Virat think he needs to force the issue? Not the third session of a typical first day where you look to capitalise on a flattening deck, softening ball and tired bowlers.

He’s just trying to play the ball well in front of his head.

Think that's it for today.

Honours even.

At this rate , not even 10 days would be enough for this test match to complete.
Sometimes I wonder how did England invented cricket with this weather

Cricket really needs a solution to the bad light problem. Seems ludicrous in the modern World, with all the technology available, that the game has to be delayed for light.

Tough ask but India should look to double this score. Pant and Jadeja in particular will have to step up.

Based on the forecast I think we'll be lucky to get any cricket on Monday. So draw is most likely results here

Cricket really needs a solution to the bad light problem. Seems ludicrous in the modern World, with all the technology available, that the game has to be delayed for light.
Solution is simple. Dont play icc events where and when weather is a unpredictable villain.

Great to see commitment from India to adjust from ball 1. Kudos to shubman, virat for showing maturity. Just feel sad for Rohit, a player for his class should be preserved for the middle order surely! Hes too valuable, its unfair on him.
India had the control & momentum, wasnt easy out there coming rightaway after the toss.

Bit poor from Kane. One pull shot and there he moves a fielder to long leg.

At Southee’s pace a pull shot to a waist high ball will be instinctive. Rahane’s too good a player to miss out.

But playing in England has been our Achilles heel for long, isn't it? So you can't seriously compare how we did in Australia and India vis-a-vis how we have done historically in England which has been a totally different kettle of fish for us!

Conditions are totally different in England, horses for courses you see.

Batting first does assist India if they can take the game long. On a Day 4/Day 5 wicket, Ashwin and Jadeja in tandem will be useful, especially since this pitch does seem like it will spin a bit.

Back