India rules out joining world’s largest trade deal, accuses China of 'very opaque' trade practices

deltexas

Local Club Captain
Runs
India’s commerce minister Piyush Goyal rejected the idea of joining the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, the world’s largest trade deal, maintaining that it is not in the country’s interest to be part of a free trade agreement with China.

The RCEP deal was signed in 2020 by 15 Asia-Pacific countries — which makes up out 30% of global GDP — and came into force in January 2022. The countries are the 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, and five of their largest trading partners, China, South Korea, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

REASONS FOR NOT JOINING: Goyal noted that at that time, India already had a free trade agreement with ASEAN, Japan and Korea, as well as a bilateral trade with New Zealand worth $300 million.

“It was not in our farmers’ interest, RCEP did not reflect the aspirations of our small and micro medium industries and sector, and in some form, was nothing but a free trade agreement with China,” he said.

CHINA ISSUES:-

NON-TRANSPARENCY: “When you see from the lens sitting outside the country, you don’t realize how difficult it is to compete against a non-transparent economy,” the minister continued, in reference to China.

VALUES MISMATCH: “Certainly nobody back home would like to have an FTA with [a] non-transparent economy, very opaque in its economic practices, where both trading systems, political systems, the economy — the way it is managed — is completely different from what the democratic world wants.”

MISUSING WTO: Goyal also accused China of using the World Trade Organization’s policies to its advantage, flooding various economies with goods at low prices which often do not meet quality standards.

Source - CNBC

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good that Ind is not signing this. The USA signing the free trade agreement with a country like China which has no rules, no transparency and one sided trade was a mistake. Hope more countries start realizing this

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good that Ind is not signing this. The USA signing the free trade agreement with a country like China which has no rules, no transparency and one sided trade was a mistake. Hope more countries start realizing this

We didn't sign their OBOR, we are not signing this either.

Makes sense..they have trade agreements with others already.

Fully backing the government on this.

China isn’t transparent enough to be trusted with such trade deals.

We didn't sign their OBOR, we are not signing this either.
Yeah i wished more countries followed this. The free trade agreement with China has hurt the US for a long time. Everything is made in china in all the stores and and on Amazon. Nothing is made in the US anymore and the local manufacturing industries were wiped out. The biggest problem is intellectual theft in china as they have poor laws. For example GM Ford etc if they had to set up Manufacturing facilities in China had to share their automotive tech info with China. They then copied that and produced their own local cars.. One of the reasons why Airbus is diversifying away from China and moving to India and others like Vietnam etc especially with China now producing its own Comac plane.

Am surprised as to why so many Chinese goods are in Ind market. All the home furniture, electrical stuff, even toys , phones etc are Chinese. Why cant Ind produce these stiff as they have such a big labor base even bigger than China? Cheap labor and so cheap costs are why nations import Chinese goods. I understand if western countries or Europe imports them- buy why does Ind need to? Totally beats me.

Am surprised as to why so many Chinese goods are in Ind market. All the home furniture, electrical stuff, even toys , phones etc are Chinese. Why cant Ind produce these stiff as they have such a big labor base even bigger than China? Cheap labor and so cheap costs are why nations import Chinese goods. I understand if western countries or Europe imports them- buy why does Ind need to? Totally beats me.

India is not good at manufacturing.

Chinese goods are available in all over the World so it shouldn't be a surprise to see them in Indian market.

A lot of "Chinese" branded goods are actually produced elsewhere and even in India. Like phones etc.

Back