India tour of Zimbabwe 2024

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
5mQP9TO.jpeg

India to tour Zimbabwe for 5 T20Is in July

India will travel to Zimbabwe for a five-match T20I series in July, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Zimbabwe Cricket announced.

The series is scheduled to take place from 6 to 14 July 2024 in Harare. The tour was confirmed after successful discussions between the two Boards about solidifying bilateral ties and providing more opportunities.

Talking about the forthcoming tour, BCCI Honorary Secretary Mr Jay Shah said:

“The BCCI has always played a pioneering role in contributing to the global cricketing community. We understand that it is a period of rebuilding for Zimbabwe, and Zimbabwe Cricket needs our support at this juncture.

“Our steadfast commitment to touring and supporting fellow member boards aligns with our principle of bringing about a positive transformation within the cricketing landscape. The BCCI will do its best to make bilateral cricket stronger and commercially more viable.

“Our pledge to support Zimbabwe Cricket reflects a shared vision for the growth and prosperity of cricket on the international stage.”

Expressing his enthusiasm, ZC Chairman Mr Tavengwa Mukuhlani said:

“We are absolutely thrilled to be hosting India for a T20I series in July in what will be our biggest international attraction at home this year.

“The game of cricket has always immensely benefited from India’s influence and dedication to the sport, and I would like to say a huge thank you to the BCCI for committing to tour Zimbabwe once again.

“The significance and magnitude of this tour cannot be over-emphasised, especially as it is coming at a time we are working round the clock to re-establish ourselves as a force to reckon with at the highest level of the game.”

Source: BCCI

India’s squad for tour of Zimbabwe announced

The Men’s Selection Committee has picked a 15-member squad for the upcoming tour of Zimbabwe. India will visit Harare in the first week of July to participate in a 5-match T20I series against the hosts.

India’s squad for T20I series against Zimbabwe: Ꮪhubman Gill (Captain), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Abhishek Sharma, Rinku Singh, Sanju Samson (WK), Dhruv Jurel (WK), Nitish Reddy, Riyan Parag, Washington Sundar, Ravi Bishnoi, Avesh Khan, Khaleel Ahmed, Mukesh Kumar, Tushar Deshpande.

BCCI

Last edited by a moderator:

India’s squad for tour of Zimbabwe announced​

24th Jun, 2024

MEDIA ADVISORY
June 24, 2024

The Men’s Selection Committee has picked a 15-member squad for the upcoming tour of Zimbabwe. India will visit Harare in the first week of July to participate in a 5-match T20I series against the hosts.
India’s squad for T20I series against Zimbabwe: Ꮪhubman Gill (Captain), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Abhishek Sharma, Rinku Singh, Sanju Samson (WK), Dhruv Jurel (WK), Nitish Reddy, Riyan Parag, Washington Sundar, Ravi Bishnoi, Avesh Khan, Khaleel Ahmed, Mukesh Kumar, Tushar Deshpande.
India’s Tour of Zimbabwe, 2024
Sr. No.DateDayMatchVenueTime
1st T20I06-July 2024SaturdayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
2nd T20I07-July 2024SundayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
3rd T20I10-July 2024WednesdayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
4th T20I13-July 2024SaturdayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
5th T20I14-July 2024SundayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
JAY SHAH
Honorary Secretary
BCCI
Pathetic selection in bowling.. Trundlers lke Avesh, Mukesh and Despande are selected but not Harshit, Mohsin and Mayank🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Tilak Verma and Sai Sudarshan didn't do anything wrong, still not picked..

Nitish, Abhishek, Parag, Sundar, Jurel deserve the selection 👍🏻

Good batting selection.

Pathetic bowling selection. Deshpande and Khaleel don't even have the BCCI fast bowlers contract yet they leap frog
Mayank Umran Vyshak Akashdeep Kaverappa and get selected.

The less said about the 30 year old trundler Mukesh Kumar the better.

India’s squad for tour of Zimbabwe announced​

24th Jun, 2024

MEDIA ADVISORY
June 24, 2024

India’s Tour of Zimbabwe, 2024
Sr. No.DateDayMatchVenueTime
1st T20I06-July 2024SaturdayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
2nd T20I07-July 2024SundayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
3rd T20I10-July 2024WednesdayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
4th T20I13-July 2024SaturdayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
5th T20I14-July 2024SundayZimbabwe vs IndiaHarare Sports Club1:00 PM (4:30 PM IST)
JAY SHAH
Honorary Secretary
BCCI

I think India do the right thing by giving chance to youngsters in such tours and Pakistan should also do the same to improve their bench strength.

I think India do the right thing by giving chance to youngsters in such tours and Pakistan should also do the same to improve their bench strength.
Pakistan are scared of losing which is not allowing them to experiment. They tried it against Afghanistan and lost the series which means that no such attempts will be made in the near future.

Very poor bowling attack, not sure why none of the good performers from IPL weren't considered. India need to prepare for post Md Shami in Tests and ODIs. This bunch selected aren't going to be anywhere close to the national side. The batting though looks good and the selection of Nitish Reddy is great as well.

Coaches come and go but one thing that never changes is the Indian cricket selection committee and their way of picking consistently wrong choice of players over the deserving ones (I am looking at you, Dube!).

I won't be surprised if we lose a game or two in this series (with this kinda pop-gun bowling attack).

Coaches come and go but one thing that never changes is the Indian cricket selection committee and their way of picking consistently wrong choice of players over the deserving ones (I am looking at you, Dube!).

I won't be surprised if we lose a game or two in this series (with this kinda pop-gun bowling attack).
India's batting will make sure we don't lose the series, also the spin attack is good with Bishnoi & Sundar.

Selectors not choosing Dube for this tour is perhaps an admission of their blunder.

It's not like Dube needs rest like Bumrah.

Batting is solid but ruturaj should not be there.

Who opens with jaiswal, Gill, Rutu and Abhishek all present? Hopefully Jaiswal and Abhishek with Gill at 3 and Rutu on bench.

Selectors not choosing Dube for this tour is perhaps an admission of their blunder.

It's not like Dube needs rest like Bumrah.
None of the players who played games in ICC T20 WC have been chosen. Only players who were warming the bench are part of the Zimbabwe tour. If India thought Dube was a blunder they would not be playing him in the knockouts.

Who opens with jaiswal, Gill, Rutu and Abhishek all present? Hopefully Jaiswal and Abhishek with Gill at 3 and Rutu on bench.
We don't need any more anchor's in opening slot.As seniors will be leaving, we should use this opportunity to build a team as per t20 standards

Mukesh isnt a youngster he is just a BCCI poster boy for Indian bowlers.

Good to see all the failures rested for this series. Time has come for Virat to say good bye to this format now.

None of the players who played games in ICC T20 WC have been chosen. Only players who were warming the bench are part of the Zimbabwe tour. If India thought Dube was a blunder they would not be playing him in the knockouts.

Squad selection is Selectors job.

Playing 11 is Team management's.

Deshpande is a Mumbai selection else he doesn't deserve to be in the squad. Mukesh Kumar seems like East zone quota.

If Gambhir becomes coach all this clownery will stop.

The XI I'd like fielded

Jaiswal
Abhishek
Gill
Parag
Samson
Rinku
Reddy
Sundar
Bishnoi
Khaleel
Avesh/Deshpande

Unfortunately, they have selected a dud like Ruturaj who will have to be accommodated in the XI at the expense of someone worthier.

Harshit Rana and Varun shud have been in the team. Apart from that no other surprise. It's clear they rate Khaleel highly(rightly or wrongly).

Whenever GG is announced I think Varun for sure will be in the team.

Happy that youngsters are getting chance to prove themselves and play for India.

This is how you build future superstars, if it our neighbours we would have seen their main players padding their stats and their fans calling them king.

This squad shows the difference in future vision.

Harshit Rana and Varun shud have been in the team. Apart from that no other surprise.
Varun have that dodgy knees issue and Indian team have to hide him in t20 wc.It was mentioned that his fielding wasn't at all bearable especially by kohli.

If that's the case then why did Dube replace injured Reddy in the squad for Zimbabwe? You are cooking up a logic that does not exist. Clearly Rohit/TM insisted on Dube based on their flawed assessment and selectors have now course corrected and punted on Reddy as a better AR option - till he got injured.

Belgium-born Antum Naqvi receives maiden Zimbabwe call-up​

HARARE (Web Desk) - Batter Antum Naqvi has received his maiden call-up for Zimbabwe for the five-match T20I series against India in Harare. His inclusion, however, is subject to confirmation of his citizenship status.

Zimbabwe recalled allrounders Wessly Madhevere and Brandon Mavuta for the series after they completed their suspension for drug use. Experienced fast bowler Tendai Chatara, who last played the T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier, also found a spot after being left out of the series against Ireland and Bangladesh.

Mainstays Craig Ervine, Sean Williams and Ryan Burl, as well as Joylord Gumbie and Ainsley Ndlovu, were all dropped. The five players were part of Zimbabwe's most recent T20I assignment - an away series in Bangladesh which they lost 4-1.

Naqvi, 25, rose to prominence at the start of the year, when he became the first player to score a triple century for any Zimbabwe team in representative cricket. He scored an unbeaten 300 for Mid West Rhinos in the Logan Cup, and also captained them in just his second year in domestic cricket in Zimbabwe.

A top-order batter, Naqvi boasts of a strike rate of 146.80 in seven T20 matches. He was born in Brussels, Belgium to Pakistani parents, and moved to Australia when he was four, where he earned a commercial airline pilot's license. He put his aviation career on hold, as per BBC Sport, to pursue cricket.

Zimbabwe failed to make the cut for the just-concluded T20 World Cup 2024, and are aiming to re-build under new head coach Justin Sammons. The intention is reflected in the average age of the squad to face India - 27.

Captain Sikandar Raza, 38, is the most experienced player in the squad with 86 T20Is, and allrounder Luke Jongwe is the second with 63 T20I appearances.

Zimbabwe squad for the men's T20I series against India

Sikandar Raza (captain), Faraz Akram, Brian Bennett, Johnathan Campbell, Tendai Chatara, Luke Jongwe, Innocent Kaia, Clive Madande, Wessly Madhevere, Tadiwanashe Marumani, Wellington Masakadza, Brandon Mavuta, Blessing Muzarabani, Dion Myers, Antum Naqvi, Richard Ngarava, Milton Shumba

If India rest their main players and Zimbabwe field a full side, Zimbabwe may get a win or two. Otherwise, it should be 5-0 to India.

India has rested their main players and I can understand that. But why send bowlers who cant even make it into our B t20 team.

Avesh Khan
Tushar Deshpande
Khaleel Ahmed
Mukesh Kumar

India has rested their main players and I can understand that. But why send bowlers who cant even make it into our B t20 team.

Avesh Khan
Tushar Deshpande
Khaleel Ahmed
Mukesh Kumar
Mukesh did fine in IPL. I think his selection is justified. Khaleel also bolwed fine. NO??
Correct me if I am wrong.

Mukesh did fine in IPL. I think his selection is justified. Khaleel also bolwed fine. NO??
India should go for out and out 145 plus bowlers ( Kuldeep sen, Tyagi ,Mohsin khan etc ) which they have. Selection committee not bothered about them and continued dravid style

Avesh Khan
Tushar Deshpande
Khaleel Ahmed
Mukesh Kumar

This attack is hilarious.

31 year old Mukesh
29 year old Deshpande

Do these guys have any future in T20Is?

These are quota selections of Mumbai and East zone.

They know once GG takes charge, all this trash will have to go out.

Avesh Khan
Tushar Deshpande
Khaleel Ahmed
Mukesh Kumar
Avesh Khan and Khaleel Ahmed were part of the World T20 2024 squad as reserves

With Ruturaj there and his CSK/Dhoni backing, I fear we will not see Abhishek open. The top 3 might look like the following

Gill
Jaiswal
Ruturaj

I don't care what they did in one season of IPL, all four are equally trash and certified trundlers. I think all four of them are 30+.

I'd have liked to see Umran(for the sake of grooming for future), Tyagi, Mohsin, Kuldeep Sen, Mayank (if fit). This bowling unit looks exciting and i don't care even if we loose against Zim. They should be ready to loose a few t20 series and rankings if they want to build a team for next 5-7 years.

Selection committee is full of jokers. I also smell VVS's ultra conservative say in this selection as he is going as a coach. Hopefully Gambhir can bring some sanity.

watch out for Johnathan Campbell son of alister campbell, he recently played against us and he looked like a star in the making

With Ruturaj there and his CSK/Dhoni backing, I fear we will not see Abhishek open. The top 3 might look like the following

Gill
Jaiswal
Ruturaj
Jaiswal is stuck in Barbadoss hurricane I believe.so abhishek may play for first t20 atleast.if he can give a flying start,it's the end of gaikwad.gaikwad was doing his tuk tuk even against Ireland and almost drowned ind in a rain hit match chase (dl score was possible only due to Jaiswal 6's).one m9re good thing is abhishek can bowl his full quota

Not sure why they have T20 series now after the T20 World cup. Now the team has to play 50 over bilateral series as preparation for Champions Trophy. Based on the schedule we have, till the Champions Trophy the team is playing T20s and test matches rather than 50 over matches. T20 matches could be won based on IPL performance but 50 over matches are different. If Indian team has to do well in CT, they have to play a few 50 over bilateral series. It is also OK they play 50 over series with Zimbabwe with second string team.

Not sure why they have T20 series now after the T20 World cup. Now the team has to play 50 over bilateral series as preparation for Champions Trophy. Based on the schedule we have, till the Champions Trophy the team is playing T20s and test matches rather than 50 over matches. T20 matches could be won based on IPL performance but 50 over matches are different. If Indian team has to do well in CT, they have to play a few 50 over bilateral series. It is also OK they play 50 over series with Zimbabwe with second string team.

I think this series is about giving Zimbabwe a financial boost. T20 tends to attract crowd better.

India should go for out and out 145 plus bowlers ( Kuldeep sen, Tyagi ,Mohsin khan etc ) which they have. Selection committee not bothered about them and continued dravid style
What is the Harare pitch like? Is it a slow one that can aid spinners, or a fast, bouncy one like those in South Africa?
It looks like the Indian team management thinks it is the former.

Sai Sudharsan, Jitesh Sharma and Harshit Rana added to India’s squad for first two T20Is

MEDIA ADVISORY

July 2, 2024

The Men’s Selection Committee has named Sai Sudharsan, Jitesh Sharma and Harshit Rana as replacements for Sanju Samson, Shivam Dube and Yashasvi Jaiswal for the first two T20Is against Zimbabwe.

Originally slated to join the Zimbabwe-bound squad for the upcoming five-match T20I series starting Saturday, 6th July, the trio will travel to India first with the rest of the ICC T20 World Cup-winning Indian squad before departing for Harare.

India’s squad for 1st & 2nd T20I against Zimbabwe: Shubman Gill (Captain), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Abhishek Sharma, Rinku Singh, Dhruv Jurel (WK), Riyan Parag, Washington Sundar, Ravi Bishnoi, Avesh Khan, Khaleel Ahmed, Mukesh Kumar, Tushar Deshpande, Sai Sudharsan, Jitesh Sharma (WK), Harshit Rana

JAY SHAH

Honorary Secretary

BCCI

Good batting selection.

Pathetic bowling selection. Deshpande and Khaleel don't even have the BCCI fast bowlers contract yet they leap frog
Mayank Umran Vyshak Akashdeep Kaverappa and get selected.

The less said about the 30 year old trundler Mukesh Kumar the better.
> Calls Mukesh Kumar a trundler (I don't want to see him in the Indian side either)

> Suggests Kaverappa (who is slower than Mukesh).

And tell Umran to perform anywhere. The guy had cost us a series against Bangladesh. Even his IPL franchise doesn't pick him.

> Calls Mukesh Kumar a trundler (I don't want to see him in the Indian side either)

> Suggests Kaverappa (who is slower than Mukesh).

And tell Umran to perform anywhere. The guy had cost us a series against Bangladesh. Even his IPL franchise doesn't pick him.

Kaverappa has the ability to seam it both ways. He is extremely accurate.

Umran wasn't picked by the franchisee because they has better options.

A good opportunity for the youngsters to get a taste of what’s it like representing India at international level. Also good gesture for Zimbabwe cricket, I hope we get a competitive series that would inspire the local kids in Zimbabwe to play this game. That’s the whole idea.

What is the Harare pitch like? Is it a slow one that can aid spinners, or a fast, bouncy one like those in South Africa?
It looks like the Indian team management thinks it is the former.
Harare is always a fast pitch.ind,pak lost test matches there.its not the matter of pitch rt.its matter of young and high performing crop getting ready for future. Our selection committee behaves like they hate any progression.

Ruturaj was the T20 captain for India. THey are not leaving him. Besides he made a century against Australia in his last T20I. Yea.. it is going to be a headache to decide who will open. Gill should get used to no.3 spot as he is supposed to be the successor of Kohli. He also has issues against new ball.

I heard he is injured.
Any how tilak can't rotate the strike against spinners or quaity fast bowlers as found out in sa odi series. I think he needs 2 or 3 years more to fix that.He was like 10 of 44 balls in one match.

A good opportunity for the youngsters to get a taste of what’s it like representing India at international level. Also good gesture for Zimbabwe cricket, I hope we get a competitive series that would inspire the local kids in Zimbabwe to play this game. That’s the whole idea.

I believe biggest positive of this tour is Zimbabwe cricket board getting a financial boost.

Yes, Cummins was intimidated by his aura and sidelined him.
But we have to give chanes to an express pacer.if he develops,it's bonus for us.we can take hit against small teams for him till he improves. We need few express pacers apart from mayank

But we have to give chanes to an express pacer.if he develops,it's bonus for us.we can take hit against small teams for him till he improves
We can invest in Express pacers or even fast medium bowlers who are better than him. This tennis ball cricketer should prove his worth somewhere. We don't want Haris Raufs when we have guys like Arshdeep who can win us tournaments. Umran isn't even as good as Rauf btw.

Yes, Cummins was intimidated by his aura and sidelined him.
Thank you Cummins for not picking umran. He would have been praised by all the opposition teams of sun risers as he would have helped them with easy runs and victories. Pat Cummins is a shrewd guy and knows bad apples.

We can invest in Express pacers or even fast medium bowlers who are better than him. This tennis ball cricketer should prove his worth somewhere. We don't want Haris Raufs when we have guys like Arshdeep who can win us tournaments. Umran isn't even as good as Rauf btw.
I agree but we should give chances to atleast upcoming young bowling unit instead of trundlers. Mayank is still injured and any how umran can get his confidence back against a minnow only. with all his flaws, he will take some time to develop. But he should be in the mix to develop.

I agree but we should give chances to atleast upcoming young bowling unit instead of trundlers. Mayank is still injured and any how umran can get his confidence back against a minnow only. with all his flaws, he will take some time to develop. But he should be in the mix to develop.
Why do Umran fans immediately assume that those who refuse to rate him highly do want trundlers? There are several other non-trundlers in the domestic cricket scene. Umran had 18 opportunities in white-ball cricket, but he underperformed spectacularly. He flopped in the IPL, he failed for India A. He has been failing in domestics averaging in 40s in both first-class and List A cricket. Despite his poor performance, the BCCI awarded him a fast bowling contract.

He is 24 years old, an age when fast bowlers typically begin to show their brilliance at the international level. While Umran is even struggling in domestic cricket. Yet he is receiving special treatment. However it's ultimately up to Umran's fans if they choose to believe otherwise. There is no remedy for their delusion.

Why do Umran fans immediately assume that those who refuse to rate him highly do want trundlers?
Where I said u want trundlers? I have mentioned about current pacers selected by committee. Are we not discussing about pacers selected for Zimbabwe series ?Who ever bowling at 155 speed should be preserved like rohit who was preserved by msd even after having avg of 28 after 84 matches.

So why should we waste our time on someone who isn't better than Bhuvi, Natrajan or even Unadkat?

Umran has played only one season of domestic cricket. He played IPL with almost no experience in organised red ball cricket.

A 155kph plus bowler is the rarest thing in cricket. If we have one we must nurture him.

Good for Zimbabwe cricket , 5 T20s at home will definitely give them financial coushin, shame back in late 90s , Zim v Ind was transforming into a proper rivalry. Nonetheless any cricket for Zimbabwe is good

Ruturaj is an accumulator - better for ODI's but definitely not t20's

Umran has played only one season of domestic cricket. He played IPL with almost no experience in organised red ball cricket.

A 155kph plus bowler is the rarest thing in cricket. If we have one we must nurture him.
150 kph scatter guns are worse than accurate trundlers at international level.

Unran was manhandled at the IPL and has been a scattergun in Domestic..international cricket is not a testing ground for domestic flops.

The quota system used to exist in the 90s but no more in Indian cricket

Mukesh was selected simply bcoz he is higher up in the pecking order than Harshit Rana & Vaibhav Arora who performed well only in this year' s IPL. Also Mukesh has better performances in domestic cricket. Harshit & Vaibhav have to wait for sometime before they get their chances. Its a process in place & should be adhered to in future

The quota system used to exist in the 90s but no more in Indian cricket

Mukesh was selected simply bcoz he is higher up in the pecking order than Harshit Rana & Vaibhav Arora who performed well only in this year' s IPL. Also Mukesh has better performances in domestic cricket. Harshit & Vaibhav have to wait for sometime before they get their chances. Its a process in place & should be adhered to in future

Didn't know. I thought it was only present in South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Which players were quota players in the 90's?

150 kph scatter guns are worse than accurate trundlers at international level.

Unran was manhandled at the IPL and has been a scattergun in Domestic..international cricket is not a testing ground for domestic flops.
Right now Umran Malik is just India's version of Haris Rauf. The thing is India does not subscribe to the "pace is pace yaar" mindset - so Umran has to work on his craft before he merits a place in the Indian team. And rightly so.

This " he bowls 150 kph , so select him" is ridiculous theory

Didn't know.

Which players were quota players in the 90's?
It was never official but there were many such cases

Like Venkatpathy Raju got selected bcoz of Azharuddin ( both were Hyderabad players)

A very dubious example was Noel David who was selected out of nowhere for 1997 West Indies tour - again bcoz of quota system

In 2001 Deep Dasgupta got selected - partly bcoz he belonged to Bengal & Ganguly was the captain

Sachin regularly selected bang average Mumbai players like Hrishikesh Kanitkar, Sameer Dighe and also his friend Vinod Kambli

Another famous instance was the Gavaskar - Kapil Dev feud which was partly bcoz of the regional aspects. Gavaskar belonged to Mumbai lobby while Kapil Dev & Bishen Bedi belonged to the North lobby.

ps : Saurav Ganguly when selected for 1996 England tour as unfairly characterized as quota player as Jagmohan Damliya was the then BCCI chief. He scored 2 centuries in that series & silenced all his doubters !

Back