India v England | 1st Test | Chennai | 11-15 Dec 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear. It looks as if they're going to try to sweep Harbhajan.

0/26 from 13 overs. Magnificent.

Maybe England are going to play "new age cricket" just like Australia did :))

good battling start from ENG. We have to get cooking though before these guys get away. Bring on spin from both ends!

Random Aussie said:
0/26 from 13 overs. Magnificent.

Maybe England are going to play "new age cricket" just like Australia did :))

One longs for the days of Vaughan and Tres smashing it about.

Strauss reaches his 50 from 104 deliveries.

Cook on 45, England 97-0.

Good solid start this from England, they'll be very happy.

These dead pitches still make one one want to pull their hair out though...

Dreary.

Last test here barely saw three innings, add to that potential rain and this match has draw written all over it.

Last edited:
Cook OUT for 52, England 118-1.

Tried to go for the big shot, caught in the outfield off Harbhajan.

England 139/1 at moment they need to post a big 1st inns total here!

England are making the same mistake Australia did: batting too slow.

Eng 155/1

If england can get to 240-250 odd for 1/2 by close they will be happy

^^

They can up the pace in the final session when the bowlers tire a bit. Should be looking at 270+ by the close of play.

Strauss gets his hundred, 13th of his career.

Patient innings, something England needed at the top order.

Eng 179/2

Last edited:
Kevinder Pietersingh, England's brave and attacking captain, has signaled his intentions and state of mind with a ferocious start to his innings.

He's on 4 off 32 balls.

Earlier in Pietersen's innings when he was on 1 facing Yuvraj, he oddly charged and went for a big shot, mis timing it to sweeper on the leg side..

Something to showcase to the Indians to bid on?

England's score now looking slightly below par. Horrid shot by KP.

Pietersen OUT, trying to pull Zaheer Khan.

Collingwood comes in and edges 4.

Poor shot from KP but there's been some top bowling from Zaheer post tea, also bringing on Yuvraj was a bit of a masterstroke from Dhoni especially against the England captain who looked shaky throughout.

Solid hundred that from Strauss. Game is in the balance.

eng making same mistake made by Aus on day 1 of series - not taking advantage of batting first.

Back to back appeals from Yuvraj, not good enough to be out but good captaining by bringing him on, he's really troubling the batsmen.

Was this a psychological move by Dhoni at first or should Yuvraj be considered as a prime spinner for 10-15 overs in Tests from now on?

Paul Collingwood living dangerously - trying to play his favourite shot, the nudge round the corner. Not a good idea to a ball that was outside off stump.

Collingwood given OUT, terrible decision!

Harbhajan & co appeal for a catch off bat-pad, ball missed the bat visibly on the replay.

Eng 195/4.

Andrew Flintoff at the crease now.

A truly shocking decision from Bowden puts India in the box seat. Still, India have been excellent this session, and Collingwood was never looking comfortable.

so nudge around the corner is out..what a talented cricketer...i would love to see him play tape ball cricket!!...a gully bowler in Pak could get this loser out!!...and he's keeping Shah on the bench?..lol..what a joke!!

This is when Bowden looks silly, you'd wish he'd concentrate on the decisions instead of silly things like batsmen running on the pitch and other theatrics just to try and get on tv.

collinwoods over it.. crap

SHAH is the man to hav collis spot.. but then the bowling is lost.. KP to start bowlin regular

Strauss is OUT, Mishra with a nice c&b.. good innings from Strauss.

Eng 221/5, really good session for India, finished the day strong.

Man, I usually loathe Rediff discussion forums, but I do visit it occasionally. There is no decency or control of what people posts there. Just look at this message someone posted a short while ago (I've modified a couple of words for decency) -

Why Newton was shocked when he saw a beautiful girl ?

He found his ****rising up, which was against his ‘Law of Gravity’ :)))

Usual braindead use of the nightwatchman by England. Anderson lucky to survive a bat-pad catch. India were appealing for LBW!

India continue to play with 10 men, Dravid has no place in test cricket anymore. Its sad watching him field let alone bat anymore. Really tarnishing an amazing career. Hope he can show something this test.

Stumps.

229-5. Great fightback by India in the final session to give them the advantage.

A fascinating day's play on a pitch which initially looked completely docile, but does seem to be offering some help to the spinners.

bell and nudgeingwood both are sueless..KP is overated and flintoff wont last long 2moro..this ones in the bag for India lads..lol..petersingh has got his cheaque from mallya so to hell with this series...he probably has his platitudes waiting for when they lose...!!

"we tried our best but India are magnificent and mallya's a star!! cant wait for the IPL"!!

there will be so much rain on the 3rd and 4th day , this test is a draw. cricket in chennai during monsoon is not a good idea. the threat of rains in monsoon is always looming over the city.lets see.mohali would be better hopefully in terms of pitch/bounce.

Rajan said:
there will be so much rain on the 3rd and 4th day , this test is a draw. cricket in chennai during monsoon is not a good idea. the threat of rains in monsoon is always looming over the city.lets see.mohali would be better hopefully in terms of pitch/bounce.

Was the 1st Test originally supposed to be in Chennai before the attacks? Aren't the BCCI aware of the seasonal conditions of some places during this time and look for venues to ensure 5 days?

Matic said:
Was the 1st Test originally supposed to be in Chennai before the attacks? Aren't the BCCI aware of the seasonal conditions of some places during this time and look for venues to ensure 5 days?

BCCI don't trouble themselves with things like that, or getting a crowd.

Matic said:

No. ahmedabad and mumbai were the 2 tests originally scheduled.but the terror attack forced the ECB to seek alternate locations. bangalore/mohali/delhi/nagpur/kanpur and so many other centres had international matches recently. they follow some stupid rotation policy and added to that the ECB insistence that the first test shud be in south india( assumed to be safe).
i would have chosen Kolkotta, but Jagmohan dalmiya who heads the kolkotta association is anti establishment now.so, chennai chosen despite the possibility of rain. but if there is minimal effect/ if india wins, BCCI will take great pride and credit.

I only managed to watch about 20 minutes of the game today and in that 20 minutes i managed to see KP playing what is now becoming his trade mark poor type shot!!!

Anyway, with the score as it now stands i feel that india are on top by quite a margin. No surprises there though!

Amjid Javed said:
Eng 155/1

If england can get to 240-250 odd for 1/2 by close they will be happy

Well England have thrown away a huge advantage and unless Flintoff, Prior and Swann get some big runs then england will be in huge trouble later in the game.

Time for Flintoff to come to the party as a test batsmen again for England hes got a start but pretty much will have to carry the lower order and tail up to a total of 350+ atleast.

Amjid Javed said:
Time for Flintoff to come to the party as a test batsmen again for England hes got a start but pretty much will have to carry the lower order and tail up to a total of 350+ atleast.

They still got Matt Prior to come, all is not lost.

Muhammad said:
They still got Matt Prior to come, all is not lost.

Ive never rated Prior as a batsmen id back Swann to get more runs then Prior. In any case Englands lower order has to wag!

Muhammad said:
:))) :)))

anyways though decent start from england and good fightback from us. Match is still in balance and the first hour tomorrow is cruicial.

Also what will be interesting is Flintoff and Anderson reversing it against Tendulkar and Dravid. Make no mistake these guys will be more threatning then Johnson/Lee/Clark

Tupac said:
:))) :)))

anyways though decent start from england and good fightback from us. Match is still in balance and the first hour tomorrow is cruicial.

Also what will be interesting is Flintoff and Anderson reversing it against Tendulkar and Dravid. Make no mistake these guys will be more threatning then Johnson/Lee/Clark

...and we've got at least one international class spinner, too! :)

Big Harvey said:
...and we've got at least one international class spinner, too! :)

I recon Swann might do well in these conditions and maybe even Out-bowl Monty. I think Key for England when they bowl is not to give indian batsmen to many freebies and not allow them to free there arms to much!

Brilliant performance from ZAK to bring IND back in the game but Strauss was the man of the day for me. This may turn in to a very fine test match on days 3,4 and 5.

Muhammad said:
They both suck, Robert Key should be in the team.
The bowling attack looks weak, what about Alan Mullaly and James Kirtley sent in as back-up?

Easa said:
The bowling attack looks weak, what about Alan Mullaly and James Kirtley sent in as back-up?

Unfortunately Mullally's retired and Kirtley's a proven chucker.

They could do worse than calling up Jimmy Ormond.

If India restricts England to around 300 then we can expect a result from the match.

I am confused regarding this game. Is there any way that both sides can lose? If not, I will settle for some incident which brings the game into dispute. Cue some racism.

It goes to show that no furore over a tour can disguise the fact that England are rubbish. Every single innings in which Pietersen fails, we crumble towards nothingness, irrespective of whether another bat comes to the party. Huge credit to Andrew Strauss though; he batted solidly. However, like all Englishman he never goes on to score a huge hundred. And that's why England's batting is so poor, for every single player is talented to an extent. Even Paul Collingwood.

Thoughts on the day.....

Well done Strausser, back with a ton after four months of no cricket. Burt Augustus is right, we have no long-innings men. We need an in-form Vaughan desperately.

KP looks tired. All that cajolling and motivating he did to get the team to come back. He should have worked on his batting. Never mind if Harami is on the plane!

England's decision to play Colly ahead of Ace continues to look stoopid.

England may get 350 but then India will get 600 and it's lights out.

I'm not sure why everyone is underestimating this England attack. Flintoff is one of the top bowlers of the world, and is menacing with reverse swing. Harmison when he hits his straps can be lethal, and Anderson has troubled us in the past. Spinners I'm not too concerned about...but this English team is not too bad.

Really looking forward though to Tendulkar's 41st and possibly 42nd.

Umm... Harmsion away from home, bowling in the subcontinent? Yeah... no, I'd rather have a half-mutilated Shib Shankar coming of a couple of paces.

Steve is crap outside of England.

Easa said:
Umm... Harmsion away from home, bowling in the subcontinent? Yeah... no, I'd rather have a half-mutilated Shib Shankar coming of a couple of paces.

Steve is crap outside of England.

hopefully.

Robert said:
Thoughts on the day.....

Well done Strausser, back with a ton after four months of no cricket. Burt Augustus is right, we have no long-innings men. We need an in-form Vaughan desperately.

KP looks tired. All that cajolling and motivating he did to get the team to come back. He should have worked on his batting. Never mind if Harami is on the plane!

England's decision to play Colly ahead of Ace continues to look stoopid.

England may get 350 but then India will get 600 and it's lights out.

I was SHOCKED when I read the news of Shah missing out the boat for the first test. English selectors have a pea sized brain, I suppose. He was the man for England in their drubbing in ODI series and more importantly he made his debut in Mumbai and won the game for India. How the heck can they leave him out for colly is out of this world for me.

india_fan said:
I was SHOCKED when I read the news of Shah missing out the boat for the first test. English selectors have a pea sized brain, I suppose. He was the man for England in their drubbing in ODI series and more importantly he made his debut in Mumbai and won the game for India. How the heck can they leave him out for colly is out of this world for me.

Probably because he was born in Pakistan.. :D

india_fan said:

QFT

Big match for Dravid. Malik had strange selection of Collingwood as sixth bowling option but then Collingwood might survive for 40 some runs and that is what England needs right now to get to 350

India v England, 1st Test day 2

No surprise Flintoff is gone already out to Mishra.

When will England wake up and realise Flintoff is not a Test match top 6 batsman? Never has been, never will be.

One good series does not make a genuine batsman.

6/237 England will be out before lunch and the Evil Empire can bat merrily on their dead flat road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back