India v England | 1st Test | Chennai | 11-15 Dec 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swannnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Swann makes history, only bowler in Test cricket to take 2 wickets in his debut over.

Dravid fails to score again.. are his days numbered?

India in serious trouble here, only Laxman/Tendu and the tail remaining.

England's bowlers look like they are here to play.

Matic said:
Swann makes history, only bowler in Test cricket to take 2 wickets in his debut over.

I think I remember Phil Edmonds doing it against the Aussies.

What was I saying about India's poor form against spin bowling over the last two series. Also carrying Dravid for this long is embarrassing. Four drop catches in his last two tests, and a lack of runs. India are playing with 10 men.

Big Harvey said:
I think I remember Phil Edmonds doing it against the Aussies.

That was awesome cricket, Edmonds at one end, Emburey at the other.

I was glued to the screen.

Random Aussie said:
India in serious trouble here, only Laxman/Tendu and the tail remaining.

England's bowlers look like they are here to play.

They still have Yuvi and Dhoni as well, so still a deep batting line up.

I've been trying to find out whether my memory served me correctly. Edmonds' first victim in that match was Greg Chappell, and the scorecard confirms that he then got Ross Edwards first ball (from memory a slightly dodgy-looking LBW decision). I'm 99% certain it was in his first over in Test cricket, but I haven't been able to find proof.

checkers.llvllaster said:
He does seem to work well against England's bowlers, so never know...

Only in JAMODIs. He averages 21 against us in the proper stuff.

Great I finally get to watch some cricket and it is Tendulkar and Laxman batting.

Have seen enough of these two batting to last me a lifetime.

3/77 good rebuild

I haven't seen Test match cricket of such a damn long time.

And now my satellite has gone poof. God loves me.

Who manufactures the balls used in India? They're changing the ball again! This is the third ball this innings!

Big Harvey said:
Who manufactures the balls used in India? They're changing the ball again! This is the third time this innings!
Tata Balls :D

Swan got 2 wkts in his 1st ever over in test cricket. Has that ever happened before?

JEEZ!!! Monty's taken a catch! And its off his own bowling.

I repeat, Monty's taken a catch!!!

Random Aussie said:
Great I finally get to watch some cricket and it is Tendulkar and Laxman batting.

Have seen enough of these two batting to last me a lifetime.

3/77 good rebuild
Yeah that's the difference; could one ever get enough of watching Lara?

Oxy said:
Swan got 2 wkts in his 1st ever over in test cricket. Has that ever happened before?

The Sky commentators suggested it hadn't, but I'm 99% certain Phil Edmonds did it at Headingley in 1975 against Australia.

Ho Ho Ho.

Flintoff comes on and takes Teendu with a loosener!!

India collapsing!

102-5

Tendulker goes c&b Freddie - done by slow loosener.

India in desperate trouble!!!

India must have just realised the opponent is not OZ, VVS looked un superhuman like, Sachin played a lazy shot.. Lets see what Axe, Yuvi can do ....

Romali_rotti said:
India must have just realised the opponent is not OZ, VVS looked un superhuman like, Sachin played a lazy shot.. Lets see what Axe, Yuvi can do ....
:))

This will be a real test of Dhoni's temperament. I remember Mumbai in 2006 when he lost it completely, and so will the England team.

Romali_rotti said:

This is why i stated, in a another thread, that even if SA beat aussie, at home and away, the 18 months following those series will determine whether they should be classified as the number 1 team in test cricket. That is what has made the aussie side such a force to be reckoned with over the past decade or so. They always performed, even after a tense series (loss or victory) or an easy series.

Anything other than a series victory for india (in this series) should be classified as a disaster. Continued winning performances is what makes a good side into a great side. If the indians draw / lose this series the result against aussie will mean so much less than immediately after that marvellous triumph (flash in the pan, just like the english triumph in the 2005 ashes). It will also go to show that the indians are not consistent enough to ever be called number 1 in test cricket.

Keith said:
This is why i stated, in a another thread, that even if SA beat aussie, at home and away, the 18 months following those series will determine whether they should be classified as the number 1 team in test cricket. That is what has made the aussie side such a force to be reckoned with over the past decade or so. They always performed, even after a tense series (loss or victory) or an easy series.

Anything other than a series victory for india (in this series) should be classified as a disaster. Continued winning performances is what makes a good side into a great side. If the indians draw / lose this series the result against aussie will mean so much less than immediately after that marvellous triumph (flash in the pan, just like the english triumph in the 2005 ashes). It will also go to show that the indians are not consistent enough to ever be called number 1 in test cricket.

Yeah India are one of those funny teams that rise their level of performance against the Aussies and don't reach anywhere near that level against other nations, Laxman among others are prime examples.

South Africa on the other hand dominate all other nations including India but have been absolutely walloped by the Aussies in the past.

Suppose it comes down to what you rate higher, overall performance or ability to perform against the best. Of course South Africa can make all arguments idle if they beat the Aussies both home and away.

Last edited:
Keith said:
(flash in the pan, just like the english triumph in the 2005 ashes).

I hardly think England's Ashes win in 2005 could be described as a flash in the pan. We had a pretty good record in the seasons leading up to it.

diondublin said:
Suppose it comes down to what you rate higher, overall performance or ability to perform against the best. Of course South Africa can make all arguments idle if they beat the Aussies both home and away.

For me, personally, i prefer my team to be performing consistently well against most opposition rather than performing well against 1 opposition and being totally crap against others. Consistency in performance is what trully makes a great side, regardless of the opposition. But, that is merely my 2 cent opinion though ...

Big Harvey said:
I hardly think England's Ashes win in 2005 could be described as a flash in the pan. We had a pretty good record in the seasons leading up to it.

Fair enough, but what would be rememebred most (besides the ashes victory ofcourse!) how decentish they were prior to that series victory or how terrible they were thereafter?

137/6. yuvie gone. mental games got him. test match cricket is much more intense than the pyjama stuff. That is why it is called TEST cricket.

I was just checking in to see some quality cricket but this is all one sided :D

Keith said:
Fair enough, but what would be rememebred most (besides the ashes victory ofcourse!) how decentish they were prior to that series victory or how terrible they were thereafter?

More people remember the latter, but whether people remember it or not, for a while we were better than decentish. We were number 2 in the world at a time when the number 1 team was one of the greatest ever to have played the game, and there were some other pretty useful teams around at the time.

diondublin said:
South Africa on the other hand dominate all other nations

When did they dominate England?

1994: draw
1995/6 SA win
1998 Eng win
2002 Draw
2004/5 England win
2008 SA win

It's about even since readmission.

Keith said:

Surprising that you call a sequence of 15 test wins and 2 losses "decentish". When did SA ever have a sequence like that? Peter Pollock's day?

Big Harvey said:
More people remember the latter, but whether people remember it or not, for a while we were better than decentish. We were number 2 in the world at a time when the number 1 team was one of the greatest ever to have played the game, and there were some other pretty useful teams around at the time.

Precisely my point. Can you imagine what might have been said of that english side, had they managed to play good cricket (read win) after that 2005 season ashes win?

diondublin said:
Yeah India are one of those funny teams that rise their level of performance against the Aussies and don't reach anywhere near that level against other nations, Laxman among others are prime examples.

South Africa on the other hand dominate all other nations including India but have been absolutely walloped by the Aussies in the past.
Yes these things happen. I remember when in primary school, I could easily beat a classfellow (let's call him A) in a fight without putting in much effort. This guy A in turn could down another classfellow of ours (let's call him B) pretty easily. But whenever it came to a fight between B and myself, no matter what new moves I tried, he used to just run over me no matter how many times we fought.

Last edited:
lol..worlds so called greatest team getting pwned!!..love it..where's yuvi? where sthe so called wall? overrated !! and now history..hahahahaha

Nasir Hussain on Yuvi : "I don't think he knows how to play......"

HAHAHAHA!!!

whats with brits comin up with funi comments, other day their PM says "I've saved the world"

About 20 Englaish fans outsinging the Indian fans today - football chanting audible - Indian crowd quiet.

Robert said:
When did they dominate England?

1994: draw
1995/6 SA win
1998 Eng win
2002 Draw
2004/5 England win
2008 SA win

It's about even since readmission.

You're missing 99/00 when the South Africans dominated England, in the first test England were 4-2 or something with Donald causing havoc with the ball, England never recovered and only won the final test due to some funny declarations.

I'm not a South African fan but they have had England's number in both one day and test cricket since readmission, looking at overall test matches, series etc.. won.

Keith said:
Precisely my point. Can you imagine what might have been said of that english side, had they managed to play good cricket (read win) after that 2005 season ashes win?

Even after the Ashes win, nobody was saying we were number 1. Had we gone on winning for another couple of years, we would have had a chance of gaining number 1 slot, but a combination of bad luck with injuries, and an apparent loss of intensity among certain players put paid to any chance of that. It all changed on day 5 at Multan. For 4 days we looked brilliant and carried on where we'd left off in the Ashes, only to throw it away on Day 5. That was the turning point.

Oxy said:
About 20 Englaish fans outsinging the Indian fans today - football chanting audible - Indian crowd quiet.
That doesn't take much doing, every time an opposition batsman hits a boundary, the Indian crowd usually go silent.

It's been a great effort by the handful of English fans in helping to lift the team.

Big Harvey said:
Even after the Ashes win, nobody was saying we were number 1. Had we gone on winning for another couple of years, we would have had a chance of gaining number 1 slot, but a combination of bad luck with injuries, and an apparent loss of intensity among certain players put paid to any chance of that. It all changed on day 5 at Multan. For 4 days we looked brilliant and carried on where we'd left off in the Ashes, only to throw it away on Day 5. That was the turning point.

And that is what has made aussie so great. They have consistently performed well over extended periods of time.

There are only 2 other sides, in my opinion, that can come close to aussie when speaking of consistency, viz. eng and SA, with SA shading eng in recent history. India, for all their good batters (not so good bowling wise), have almost never performed consistently over an extended period. Granted, they give sparkling performances, in 1 game and then suck (worse than afridi does) in the next game or 2. Therein lies the indian achilles heel. Until they can perform more consistently (home and away basis) they could never be contenders for the throne.

now we're in trouble! If Dhoni and Bhajji come to the party, and Zak as well, we could still have a game on our hands. Bhajji and Zak did it in Bangalore and I'm confident they can do it again!

Tupac said:
now we're in trouble! If Dhoni and Bhajji come to the party, and Zak as well, we could still have a game on our hands. Bhajji and Zak did it in Bangalore and I'm confident they can do it again!

Yes, Bhaji is dangerous with the bat. We must take nothing for granted. What a fantastic game so far. I've been glued to it for two days.

diondublin said:
What was I saying about India's poor form against spin bowling over the last two series. Also carrying Dravid for this long is embarrassing. Four drop catches in his last two tests, and a lack of runs. India are playing with 10 men.

But we've got Collingwood. Is he in the team for his fielding?

diondublin said:
You're missing 99/00 when the South Africans dominated England, in the first test England were 4-2 or something with Donald causing havoc with the ball, England never recovered and only won the final test due to some funny declarations.

I'm not a South African fan but they have had England's number in both one day and test cricket since readmission, looking at overall test matches, series etc.. won.

You're right about the 99/00, it was 2-1 to SA.

Since readmission therefore it's SA 10 tests, England 9 I think. Since we've still taken two series off them (one in their own backyard) and halved two more, so they cannot be said to have had our number.

Random Aussie said:
The YUVI :))) :)))

How much did the YUVI score? I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread?

though england have a upper hand , this has been an awesome two days of test cricket to watch ...quality cricket from both sides , bowling specifically ....!

we need just one decent partnership to get close to england to total ..... our tail has bailed us out so many times in the past , so i wud expect them to add atleast another 75-100 runs ....we have a great game on our hands & cant wait for tomorrows play to start !

OZGOD said:
How much did the YUVI score? I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread?

He did better than expected, that's all you need to know.

Oxy said:

Right, OK, this was mentioned on another forum. I still haven't been able to prove my assertion that Edmonds did it, and frustratingly nobody could remember. However those Sky commentators are definitely talking out of their back passages, because someone remembered Richard Johnson doing it, and here's the proof:

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/129407.html

I would think there are other examples too.

couple of short pitched deliveries or yorkers from fataloff and hopefully Dhoti and Baaja sardar will be back in teh pavilion...cmon england!!

Excellent performance by England and Swann inparticular. I backed him to outbowl monty.

Dhoni and Harbi in at moment and england have a 161 run lead. England need to break this partnership as soon as possible if they want to force the game.

A lead of 75+ could be crucial but 100+ could be match winning!

From Cricindia commentary:

"The situation was precarious when Yuvraj Singh entered, and it demanded a true Test player to graft and battle his way through to guide India to safer waters. But yet again, Yuvraj Singh fails when it counts. He's wasted the perfect opportunity to cement his place in the side. Shame, the boy's got tremendous talent," says Rohan. "So who's missing Dada now?" asks Mono.

Sultan Yusuf said:
Disgraceful batting from teenda basmati...

:)))

your such a little coward. Always absent when he makes runs, which is most of the time. Didn't post when he made over 900 runs in the home and away versus Australia.

I think he's made more runs in ODI + Test cricket then the entire PAK XI combined!

In India allow bowlers like Swann to take wickets, their asking for trouble. No offense to Swann, good bowler, but has hardly been ground-breaking

Is it entirely true that Pakistan lost to England after maximum 25 years in England, ended up at 2006?

MalikMohsin said:
Is it entirely true that Pakistan lost to England after maximum 25 years in England, ended up at 2006?
Close- 24 years to be exact

PAK lost 2-1 in 1982 and then didn't lose until 2006. During this time they won in 1987,1992 and 1996 while the 2001 series was a 1-1 draw. I am not sure surely if thats the SOLE longest streak for any team because i don't remember AUS losing any series in ENG from 1981 to 2005

Last edited:
PlanetPakistan said:
Close- 24 years to be exact

PAK lost 2-1 in 1982 and then didn't lose until 2006. During this time they won in 1987,1992 and 1996 while the 2001 series was a 1-1 draw. I am not sure surely if thats the SOLE longest streak for any team because i don't remember AUS losing any series in ENG from 1981 to 2005

That's brilliant achievement i say. Same has been mentioned about losing to India in India after 22 to 23 years i think, ended up in 2007 just after WC T20. What surprises me that Pakistan managed to maintain winning streak both in India and England for so long. Same can be said about Pakistan record in New Zealand i believe :D

PlanetPakistan said:
i don't remember AUS losing any series in ENG from 1981 to 2005

I do. They lost 3-1 in England in 1985.

MalikMohsin said:
That's brilliant achievement i say. Same has been mentioned about losing to India in India after 22 to 23 years i think, ended up in 2007 just after WC T20. What surprises me that Pakistan managed to maintain winning streak both in India and England for so long. Same can be said about Pakistan record in New Zealand i believe :D
yeah...NZ have NOT won a series against PAK(home or away) since 1985, similarly PAK have never lost a series in SL

this current team will spoil that record too. :po:

p.s just to make sure that you don't get TOO happy i would like to point out that PAK have NEVER won a series in WI, SA or AUS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back