India v England | 1st Test | Chennai | 11-15 Dec 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
England in trouble here! Strauss the Key he will have to get a Ton to maybe give england a real chance of victory.

Shah should be brought back into the side for next test!

A pair of crabs at the wicket now, just what England need. Grind it out, lads.

As for Shah, I agree but what if Colly gets a fifty here and England win?

Romali_rotti said:
220 would be very hard for India to chase, anything over 200 really. If this was Australia I can be quite confident of India chasing and winning but not against England...

:(

Romali_rotti said:
No plans for the weekend mate ?

It's slightly rainy here mate - you may have noticed over your way.

Home out of the wind and rain this weekend.

Eng effectively 3/149 now

Barmy Army making some noise... Seems like there is a huge number considering the cheer was very loud.. lol @ 'We the Barmy Army" ..

Random Aussie said:
It's slightly rainy here mate - you may have noticed over your way.

Home out of the wind and rain this weekend.

Eng effectively 3/149 now

How good is the rain though, I hope it keeps pouring otherwise we may have to drink recycled water :31:

Romali_rotti said:
How good is the rain though, I hope it keeps pouring otherwise we may have to drink recycled water :31:

I did hear that it is supposed to rain for a few more days. That would be so good for us. :)

On the cricketing side, good partnership here from Strauss and Collingwood. Slow going but England are 161 ahead now and India have a tough run chase no matter what happens from here.

Random Aussie said:
I did hear that it is supposed to rain for a few more days. That would be so good for us. :)

On the cricketing side, good partnership here from Strauss and Collingwood. Slow going but England are 161 ahead now and India have a tough run chase no matter what happens from here.

Tough run chase ? HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thin Eng have enough on the board already to win....

rahulrulezz said:
Barmy Army making some noise... Seems like there is a huge number considering the cheer was very loud.. lol @ 'We the Barmy Army" ..

It's a sign of true dedication that even this many made it at such short notice.

BTW I had an e-mail from one of my friends who went to the ODI's as well as the Tests. He's worked out that so far he's spent a total of 105 hours sitting on trains just travelling between venues. He took one cheap flight too, so others will have spent even more time on trains than him!

50 for Strauss. Marvelous knock, gave only one difficult chance. Exactly what was needed.

A bit too adventurous from Collingwood for my liking. He's hit a couple over the top. No need for that at this stage. He should stick with his favourite shot.

Big Harvey,

You think there's any chance at all that Shah will figure in this series at some stage? He would be a brilliant option on these pitches, especially being in the form he is. Why the reluctance to go to him?

Easa said:
Big Harvey,

You think there's any chance at all that Shah will figure in this series at some stage? He would be a brilliant option on these pitches, especially being in the form he is. Why the reluctance to go to him?

I don't know. If I'd have picked the side, he'd have been in it instead of Collingwood. Collingwood's come good today though. What a vital innings!

I suppose he could come in instead of Bell, or maybe even instead of Swann if we win here. Whatever happens, I'd like to see the cosy, underachieving set-up dismantled, with some real competition for batting places.

looking further on to next years ashes battle, england must be favorates with their superior seam attack

saj786 said:
looking further on to next years ashes battle, england must be favorates with their superior seam attack

Our bowling attack is probably better than theirs, but Australia has a stronger batting line-up. The only prediction I'll make is that I don't think it'll be 5-0 to Australia.

Stumps, England 172-3, lead is 247.

Vital partnership between Strauss and Collingwood, I reckon they can bat half of tomorrow and then send in the Indians to survive Monty and Swann on this pitch.

Big Harvey said:
Our bowling attack is probably better than theirs, but Australia has a stronger batting line-up. The only prediction I'll make is that I don't think it'll be 5-0 to Australia.
yes but bowlers wins test matches, and england have the edge in spin and seam, may be aus batting is more consistant but ageing :imran

Good stuff from England so far according to the scorecards, they are in a position to force the game - should bat most of tomorrow, and aim for about 4 sessions to get Indians out, who will in their typical style, be playing for a draw.

Matic said:
Stumps, England 172-3, lead is 247.

Vital partnership between Strauss and Collingwood, I reckon they can bat half of tomorrow and then send in the Indians to survive Monty and Swann on this pitch.

Hopefully extend the lead to 300, then go for quick runs, and leave India to bat for four and a half sessions to save the game.

Great stuff by England. For once, a senior batsman has stood up when Pietersen's having a nightmare of a match with the bat. Strauss has played beautifully, and it's clear that he is a surprisingly solid player of spin bowling. Admittedly his technique is defensive-minded, but he looks absolutely sure of what he is doing, which is something that cannot be said of many others in the England side. Also a pat on the back for Collingwood too. If I were coach, however, he'd still be dropped for the 2nd Test. Class over grit - Shah over Colly.

Shah perhaps should get a place over Bell or Collingwood in Indian conditions you would have thought but it will be hard to change a winning team which looks likely unless rain interferes of we get a superb Indian batting display.

Looks to be all England at this stage. I haven't watched this Test match but reading the reports on Cricinfo and the analysts' reactions, India are as good as gone because they are absolute tripe at chasing targets in the fourth innings.

Sehwag, who they heavily rely on, is a crap fourth innings batsman and the middle order looks to be a little out of form. They will depend on Tendulkar, they can't depend on Dravid because he's woefully out of touch, and Laxman isn't playing against Australia. Congratulations England, well done.

Robert said:
As for Shah, I agree but what if Colly gets a fifty here

Bye bye again Mr Shah....

Colly's in the side for just this type of situation. Like Jonty Rhodes, not the best of batters but good under pressure.

Well done England so far they need to get lead up to 350+ and then have atleast 100 overs at India. I would go as far to say England should bat till Tea tomorrow and then they have 4 sessions to bowl india out.

Strauss has been superb in both inns. Last man to score hundred in each inns of a test v india for England was Graham Gooch i think in 1990 when he got a triple ton and a ton.

No surprise! India is only good enough to beat minnows like Australia.

To be honest I thought England will be crushed by India.

Well Done England!

test match is slipping...but we can still do it. If we pick up a few early ones tomorrow morning, we can put them under pressure. The pitch is still playing well and I wouldn't put it past India to chase 350.

On the other hand if England goes safety first and bats for another 50 overs, makes another 150 runs, we are left with 130 overs to play out a draw or go for the win. It'll be tough but we can do it.

England have played superbly and deserve all the credit though. Flintoff looks great in particular. Buck up boys!

Dhopni easy drop of Strauss might cost bhindia the match....Inshallah

Traditonally Left handers have always done well against india over the last decade or so or going back even Further. Andy Flower, Matt hayden and Now Straussy. Indias attack seem to be struggling to get the right lines to bowl during this match!

Amjid Javed said:
Traditonally Left handers have always done well against india over the last decade or so or going back even Further. Andy Flower, Matt hayden and Now Straussy. Indias attack seem to be struggling to get the right lines to bowl during this match!
dont forget :butt

itduzz said:

Inshallah we'll come out and win this test. After which you'll be nowhere to be found.

Even if we win the next test and draw the series, assuming we lost the first, you won't come back. Kayar insaan.

Tupac said:
Inshallah we'll come out and win this test. After which you'll be nowhere to be found.

Even if we win the next test and draw the series, assuming we lost the first, you won't come back. Kayar insaan.

kayar woh hota hai joh ground men ko pesay day kar pitch change karwata hai ta kay series na haar jain.....dhoni...SA...3rd test match.....dimagh mein ghantian bajeen ya nahin.... :)))

Last edited:
Amjid Javed said:
interestingly the best one of them all(Lara) has a fairly average record against them

PlanetPakistan said:
interestingly the best one of them all(Lara) has a fairly average record against them

Maybe down the years he didnt find the indian bowling much of a challenge and maybe didnt focus as much!

The over-rates again were pathetic today and both teams have no spinners. The ICC should really start to clamp down on this issue but i cant see it happening!

Amjid Javed said:
The over-rates again were pathetic today and both teams have no spinners. The ICC should really start to clamp down on this issue but i cant see it happening!
You mean both teams had plenty of spinners, right?

itduzz said:
You have been creating quite some non-sense since you made your debut. Mind you this isn't your typical internet forum where you'd be using Maa-Behen everywhere. Maintain decency of words.

well Dhoti dropped strauss and hopefully that will come to haunt the veggimites 2moro!!...i mean nudge around the corner is still there for Gods sake!!...hasnt teeli sharma got this loser out yet?? lol..

I am still rooting for an Indian win

If we have 5 sessions to chase 400 odd runs, that 80 runs a session, definitely possible

bublubhuyan said:
You have been creating quite some non-sense since you made your debut. Mind you this isn't your typical internet forum where you'd be using Maa-Behen everywhere. Maintain decency of words.

waaahh...meary hee ilaqay mein mugh ko lalkaar.. :62: .but since its ur first mistake...i will forgive u... :55:

itduzz said:
waaahh...meary hee ilaqay mein mugh ko lalkaar.. :62: .but since its ur first mistake...i will forgive u... :55:
This isn't your ilaka or anything. This website is not owned by you. You have just as much right here as I or anyone else does. It was just a friendly reminder for you to maintain decency of words.

Last edited:
bublubhuyan said:
This isn't your ilaka or anything. This website is not owned by you. You have just as much right here as I or anyone else does. It was just a friendly reminder for you to maintain decency of words.

i have more right than u cuz i am a celebrity.... :113:

bablubhuyan, no one will ever dictate itduzz, he's a drifter of the Internet world and has made PP his abode of destruction.. and he's a pretty funny guy in my opinion. I don't think he purposely means any disrespect, his comments add a little chuckle to us all, some of them legendary.

England should bat through to lunch today, declare sometime between lunch and tea and attack from the get go. If they can get the openers today, a few more wickets could fall with the spinners working both ends.

Last edited:
itduzz said:
kayar woh hota hai joh ground men ko pesay day kar pitch change karwata hai ta kay series na haar jain.....dhoni...SA...3rd test match.....dimagh mein ghantian bajeen ya nahin.... :)))

sharam karo ki hamne sirf pitch badalvaaye, tere players neto pitch par dance kar ke pitch change kar vaaya! :afridi

Tupac said:
sharam karo ki hamne sirf pitch badalvaaye, tere players neto pitch par dance kar ke pitch change kar vaaya! :afridi

the match was a draw...and :afridi served the punishment with a ban....dhobi shud have been charged with bribery & altering pitch condition...but nothing happened cuz of power of BCCI.... :ibutt

Random Aussie said:
All hail the soon to be best team in the world - England :batman:
What's your take on them beating you in the next Ashes series? :D

Lodhiz said:
What's your take on them beating you in the next Ashes series? :D

Depends how we go against the Saffers. If Aus form line continues though, England will be favourites.

dell said:
Its harder to beat England than Australia??
I guess it is... Who would have thought!

And RA, I'm expecting the Ashes series to be an intense one! I don't really support either team so it will be very interesting to watch.

Slow start by England, there's a surprise

Collingwood hits a 4444

257 ahead

That dropped catch by the world's greatest skipper of the world's greatest team looks like costing India the match. I believe itduzz called it first. :batman:

Lodhiz said:
I guess it is... Who would have thought!

And RA, I'm expecting the Ashes series to be an intense one! I don't really support either team so it will be very interesting to watch.

whose the better captain? Dhoni or KP? I prefer Dhoni but I am excited by this Pieterson fellow

Random Aussie said:
Depends how we go against the Saffers. If Aus form line continues though, England will be favourites.
RA, post the once-in-a-century-combination, I believe it is finally a problem of class, not form.

But hey, after fifteen years as the undisputed kings of cricket, I'd say not a moment too soon.

Look how the two sentences of my last post are identical in length!
:14:

Random Aussie said:
Slow start by England, there's a surprise

Collingwood hits a 4444

257 ahead

That dropped catch by the world's greatest skipper of the world's greatest team looks like costing India the match. I believe itduzz called it first. :batman:

by no means was that an easy catch

the match aint dead it - still life in it

dell said:
whose the better captain? Dhoni or KP? I prefer Dhoni but I am excited by this Pieterson fellow

Do I sense an undertone of sarcasm? Lol :p typical Indian, makes a mountain out of a molehill! Wasn't difficult! It was a sitter!

Just joking.

Last edited:
That really was a beautiful boundary by Collingwood. Just as Prince Ranjitsinji was remembered for his leg glances, Collingwood will be remembered for his nudges around the corner.

come on dhoni, sprinkle some of your magic and wave your wand

and hey presto .... a hat trick

Momo said:
RA, post the once-in-a-century-combination, I believe it is finally a problem of class, not form.

But hey, after fifteen years as the undisputed kings of cricket, I'd say not a moment too soon.

McGrath/Warne - or do you mean the whole team?

You never know Momo, we might find some new players. But the current team are not going to dominate cricket.

dell said:
by no means was that an easy catch

the match aint dead it - still life in it

Ah you are nearly 300 behind with 7 English wickets to take.

This match is over unless it rains.

Random Aussie said:
Ah you are nearly 300 behind with 7 English wickets to take.

This match is over unless it rains.
I second that, there really is little India can do at this stage. They really have to just keep trying to take wickets. From what I can make out, the field placement has been a bit of a shamble. No slip when the quickies come on.

2 more runs to get for Strauss to complete his 2nd century in this match!

All I can say for India is:::: HAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!nahhh seriously though, lets win the next test and get a drawn series :D...

Romali_rotti said:
All I can say for India is:::: HAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!nahhh seriously though, lets win the next test and get a drawn series :D...

hey you never know.. perhaps Dravid and Yuvraj and can pull India out of the dump since they are the in form batsman :))) :)))

legendary performance by Strauss... deservingly reaches his century... Lets see if he can carry on...

Strauss: 14th test century!

Congratulations on fantastic achievement!

Well Done Strauss Hundreds in both inns, last englishmen to do that was gooch v india at lords in 1990.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back