India v England | 1st Test | Chennai | 11-15 Dec 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Augustus said:
An excellent win for India and well-deserved; they burst through a door left slightly ajar thanks to a brilliant match-winning century from the Little Master. I've no sympathy for my own team whatsoever; we were carrying too many passengers and played such negative cricket when in a position of dominance that we deserved to lose. In one way I'm encouraged that we're not so far away from the best teams in the world, but I'm much more annoyed about the complete lack of bottle in the team and the cronyism which continues to limit the collective ability of all England sides. England really need to wield the axe with an edge of ruthlessness now. These sorts of 'thrilling defeats' are simply not good enough, and it's down to consistently cowardly performances from the likes of Ian Bell, Steve Harmison and James Anderson; all of whom have talent, but not the wherewithal nor the determination to use it. Give me a few more Ryan Sidebottoms and Graeme Swanns, who don't have the talent in such abundance but do have the desire and willpower to do an effective job for the team.

As for Monty Panesar - words fail me, they really do. Danish Kaneria Mark II. A talent, but one who can be manipulated to the batsmen's will, scared out of the attack, and one who cannot take fourth innings wickets. There was a time when the combination of Harmison and Panesar was one of two strike bowlers, now it's a combination that you just want to hide somewhere.

Pietersen as a captain, well. I don't envy him. I think he has shown glimpses of potential, but he doesn't have much faith in his players.

Well played to Andrew Strauss; no-one who plays that well deserves to be on the losing side, but unfortunately the rest of the players made up for your brilliance by playing proportionally worse. India's big guns turned up at the end and made mince-meat of them, Collingwood excluded.

Some of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves before the 2nd Test. It will take a hell of an effort to stop a confident India simply from rolling us over. I'd be offering short odds on an innings victory for India, personally.

A tad harsh

I really dont think you guys played that poorly

Chin up, you should be very proud of your teams efforts. Hell, I am not even English but I am so impressed by what I have seen from you blokes that I can safely say, I look forward to supporting you guys from now on

Best of luck with ashes!

Shah, Rashid and Amjad Khan should be picked for the next test!

Gosh, how much will the Brits whore themselves to the Indians for just a few IPL contracts. I am just so happy to see the English get this kind of trashing.

Ok - guys done with the commentary thread. Pls continue discussion in the Congrats India thread

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back