India v England | 1st Test | Chennai | 11-15 Dec 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, Botham hasn't forgiven Cook for that drop of Tends.

Flintoff's got some energy. Was at it with Yuvi even during the drinks break.
:)))

I love the way Monty plays cricket but he should be the man winning England the match right now.

Big Harvey said:
It's looking very costly at the moment!

best Test match for a long long while in India.
Hmm England are better than Australia ???
You guys should play the Ashes ASAP.

India are clearly going to win the match. Even if Yuvraj or Tendulkar get out, Dhoni will bat sensibly with his partner to win the match. And even if Dhoni falls, then India still have two capable batsmen in Harbhajan and Zaheer, and most probably it'll be too late, with India having around 10-15 runs to win.

It's going to take an epic choke by India for England to win this.
104 required in 45 overs
Required run rate 2.31, too easy.

deathstreak said:
best Test match for a long long while in India.
Hmm England are better than Australia ???
You guys should play the Ashes ASAP.

Not until Sidebottom's fit! LOL

Waggy's knock gave India alot of confidence and the positive mindset to win this match!

If India win the MOM is giong to be tough. I'd give it to Waggy, even tho I think Tendu deserves it too (if he were to continue to bat ofcourse)

I bet Pak fans are secretly praying for an England win

Oh well, sorry to dampen your spirit guys , .....

dell said:

let's not talk trash till the match is done lol, India have history of choking.
And I LOL at people who always say English are ready to whoop Aussies ass.

They played well when EVERYTHING came together in the ashes before last, but it will not happen again.

Aussies will beat them again this Ashes, maybe not 5-0 but win they will.

Last edited:
dell said:

secretly? You are obviously new to this whole thing.

^^ Right

I am "Desperately" hoping for an all against the odds indian win

dell said:

Actually I wanted India to win. I always love to see a good chase.
Hey, but you probably know what I'm thinking better than I do. You smart little Indian boy.

P.S. Yuvraj and Tendu are playing well. It's okay to be excited and start imagining things i.e. what people are thinking :).

Last edited:
well, one thing is clear

this indian team are no push overs

and are no mugs at cricket either

salman24 said:
Actually I wanted India to win. I always love to see a good chase.
Hey, but you probably know what I'm thinking better than I do. You smart little Indian boy.
:inzi

Back in Lahore, a know-it-all wiseguy like this is referred to as ch**t chaalaak. :))

dell said:
well, one thing is clear

this indian team are no push overs

and are no mugs at cricket either

Lol, thought you were Pakistani till Xoib commented:)))
:afridi

Big Harvey said:
Yuvraj survives plumb LBW from Swann. Oh well...
I believe the appeal was for a catch and not lbw. If there was an lbw thrown into that shout, then its a shame because it was plumb

Well, if India lost, I can guarantee you that every Tom, Dick and Harry with next to no cricketing knowledge whatsoever would open no less than a dozen threads each having a chuckle at the Indian team's expense

- where they went wrong

- who should retire

- who has the better averages / strike rates

- who is over rated / over hyped

Sorry to dampen your mood Pak fans, but looks like you wont be celebrating tonight. Well, you guys are kept at boy for the time being

Guys, any links at ALL for this? Really don't want to miss this last session.
PLEASE :)

dell said:
Well, if India lost, I can guarantee you that every Tom, Dick and Harry with next to no cricketing knowledge whatsoever would open no less than a dozen threads each having a chuckle at the Indian team's expense

- where they went wrong

- who should retire

Sorry to dampen your mood Pak fans, but looks like you wont be celebrating tonight. Well, you guys are kept at boy for the time being

Well sorry to inform you dell, but if you've at all been watching this match, you'd have realised that India had been outplayed for the first 3 days. So pfft at your predictions.

natalia said:
Guys, any links at ALL for this? Really don't want to miss this last session.
PLEASE :)
I doubt any of them will be working, but u could try bhejafry.

Chennai matches are usually good ones, if my memory serves me right.

Last edited:
dell said:

- where they went wrong

- who should retire

Not true, I want India to win!

dell said:

- where they went wrong

- who should retire

Ok now we are moving into Troll territory. Just relax and support India if you must.

Jamal said:
Well sorry to inform you dell, but if you've at all been watching this match, you'd have realised that India had been outplayed for the first 3 days. So pfft at your predictions.

relax, geez, no need to get so worked up

Last edited:
Get Harmison and Flintoff on together and let them go all out. They shoulda been on straight after tea, it seems the only hope.

Anderson's proving fairly friendly and Swann's done well, but not getting the breaks.

Top knock from Teenda.

dell said:
just a mere observation, nothing else

No as a neutral you're acting like an a#s, enjoy this fantastic match and stop having childish digs at others. India are playing inspired cricket, enjoy it. Your behavior is the exact reason why Aussies aren't popular in the cricketing world. If you win, win with grace.

Is Flintoff not fit enough to bowl? What are they waiting for, Anderson looking innocuous and leaking runs.

Prolly too late already now.

India 339/4 = what a brilliant run chase and india will deserve all the plaudits if they win here. To chase 300+ in Asia batting last is not easy and has only happened on a handful of occasions in past.

India need just 44 to win, can sachin record a match winning ton?

Amjid Javed said:
India need just 44 to win, can sachin record a match winning ton?

An accelerating Yuvraj may thwart him!

Anyway ton or no ton nothing can take away from a brilliant innings from Tenda, it'll still be a match winning one.

Well The Yuvi doesn't look like someone to be laughed at now and trust me I still have my doubts, but it could be the turning point in his career, fantastic player to watch in full flight, dare I say Caribbean like.

Last edited:
KP must be wondering about his declaration now; the session England played slow in yesterday (could have at least scored 100 more runs in that much time) and Sehwag's assault cost them.

checkers.llvllaster said:
KP must be wondering about his declaration now; the session England played slow in yesterday (could have at least scored 100 more runs in that much time) and Sehwag's assault cost them.

To be fair they only had Monty and Harmison left to bat, the lack of intent in the middle session looks like it could cost England.

An interesting observation (relax, no trolling):

After India thrashed Australia at Mohali, the english press made noises about how the decline was on - they poked fun at how oz's got beaten by 300 odd runs

Seriously, can you think of any other team other than England that would hand over such a match winning advantage and let the opposition score 400 odd runs on a 5th day pitch for the loss of only a handful of wickets? No wonder, the poms are the laughing stock of cricket

I suspect the noises about England beating oz will die down a bit

dell said:
An interesting observation (relax, no trolling):

After India thrashed Australia at Mohali, the english press made noises about how the decline was on - they poked fun at how oz's got beaten by 300 odd runs

Seriously, can you think of any other team other than England that would hand over such a match winning advantage and let the opposition score 400 odd runs on a 5th day pitch for the loss of only a handful of wickets? No wonder, the poms are the laughing stock of cricket

I suspect the noises about England beating oz will die down a bit

To be fair this is a once in blue moon event, I remember a poor West Indies chased down over 400 against a strong Australian side a few years back, and as history shows that Australian side went on to dominate world cricket. I think this is less about England and more about Sehwag.

India 357/4

Final nails going in the coffin as Yuvi is speeding towards sachins score...

diondublin said:
To be fair this is a once in blue moon event, I remember a poor West Indies chased down over 400 against a strong Australian side a few years back, and as history shows that Australian side went on to dominate world cricket. I think this is less about England and more about Sehwag.

more or less agree but India have been playing consistently enough

maybe its a one - off, maybe it isn't

who knows

This is victory for KP's high moral values. England was the winner of the series even before a single ball was bowled, because of their superb gesture to tour, defying the terrorists and in the process saving the game of cricket.

They have really won the hearts of millions in India and millions outside it, and losing a match or a series (which actually they have won) is small price to pay for that. It is more important to win hearts than cricket matches anyway.

It's all about the show. Which must go on. And the show is going on solely because of the courage of a few individuals who placed their own interests aside and went for the greater good of the world. Please join me folks, when I salute KP and his men.

:))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :)))

Momo said:
This is victory for KP's high moral values. England was the winner of the series even before a single ball was bowled, because of their superb gesture to tour, defying the terrorists and in the process saving the game of cricket.

They have really won the hearts of millions in India and millions outside it, and losing a match or a series (which actually they have won) is small price to pay for that. It is more important to win hearts than cricket matches anyway.

It's all about the show. Which must go on. And the show is going on solely because of the courage of a few individuals who placed their own interests aside and went for the greater good of the world. Please join me folks, when I salute KP and his men.

That was so well written that I fail to understand if that was supposed to be sarcastic or not.

good batting by India and well done Saching.
Veeru's last evening inning took away advantage from Eng, but India batted really well today

Sachin onto 98*

Must rank up there with sachins best ever knocks.

Momo said:

Momo, some of your posts are hillarious!! Thanks for the laughs :)))

It's all over.
As I absolutely hate the Indians, I will say this which will cause a lot of controversy here:

"England deserved to win this."

Now fight. FIGHT!

Great innings, great match. The England fans out there will be disappointed, but at the same time will feel privileged to have watched this game.

Yuvraj proving some of his detractors wrong here.

Surely Harmison must be dropped - he's utterly bottled it once more.

I though England would walk it.

Well played India - a great victory.

Like Australia's chase against Pakistan at Hobart in 99/00 could this be a defining moment in this Indian cricket team's future. Belief will be through the roof. Well done, terrific resolve. :14:

Momo said:

DISGRACEFUL

I am extremely proud of the English team. You have now found a life long supporter of the English cricket team

Well done England

Sachin gets a ton and india win!

Brilliant Run chase.

Well played by India, I am totally enjoying eating the humble pie for writing the boys off... All hail Sachin Tendulkar, greatest batsmen of the era, RICKY WHOOO ??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMEN TO THAT.....

natalia said:
It's all over.
As I absolutely hate the Indians, I will say this which will cause a lot of controversy here:

"England deserved to win this."

Now fight. FIGHT!

oh well, save those tears for later

Robert said:
Surely Harmison must be dropped - he's utterly bottled it once more.

If it was left down to me, he wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the England team for the last couple of years. Certainly not for away games, anyway.

Congrats to the Poms for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

:)))

An excellent win for India and well-deserved; they burst through a door left slightly ajar thanks to a brilliant match-winning century from the Little Master. I've no sympathy for my own team whatsoever; we were carrying too many passengers and played such negative cricket when in a position of dominance that we deserved to lose. In one way I'm encouraged that we're not so far away from the best teams in the world, but I'm much more annoyed about the complete lack of bottle in the team and the cronyism which continues to limit the collective ability of all England sides. England really need to wield the axe with an edge of ruthlessness now. These sorts of 'thrilling defeats' are simply not good enough, and it's down to consistently cowardly performances from the likes of Ian Bell, Steve Harmison and James Anderson; all of whom have talent, but not the wherewithal nor the determination to use it. Give me a few more Ryan Sidebottoms and Graeme Swanns, who don't have the talent in such abundance but do have the desire and willpower to do an effective job for the team.

As for Monty Panesar - words fail me, they really do. Danish Kaneria Mark II. A talent, but one who can be manipulated to the batsmen's will, scared out of the attack, and one who cannot take fourth innings wickets. There was a time when the combination of Harmison and Panesar was one of two strike bowlers, now it's a combination that you just want to hide somewhere.

Pietersen as a captain, well. I don't envy him. I think he has shown glimpses of potential, but he doesn't have much faith in his players.

Well played to Andrew Strauss; no-one who plays that well deserves to be on the losing side, but unfortunately the rest of the players made up for your brilliance by playing proportionally worse. India's big guns turned up at the end and made mince-meat of them, Collingwood excluded.

Some of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves before the 2nd Test. It will take a hell of an effort to stop a confident India simply from rolling us over. I'd be offering short odds on an innings victory for India, personally.

Not surprised at all by the result..India are clearly the superior side.

If i had to sum up the cricket England play in one word it would be:

NAIVE!!

Tupac said:
Monsee, Farhad, Sultan Yusuf, where u at????

INDIA ZINDABAD!

I would imagine we won't be seeing them in this thread anymore,heh. :inzi

Augustus said:
An excellent win for India and well-deserved; they burst through a door left slightly ajar thanks to a brilliant match-winning century from the Little Master. I've no sympathy for my own team whatsoever; we were carrying too many passengers and played such negative cricket when in a position of dominance that we deserved to lose. In one way I'm encouraged that we're not so far away from the best teams in the world, but I'm much more annoyed about the complete lack of bottle in the team and the cronyism which continues to limit the collective ability of all England sides. England really need to wield the axe with an edge of ruthlessness now. These sorts of 'thrilling defeats' are simply not good enough, and it's down to consistently cowardly performances from the likes of Ian Bell, Steve Harmison and James Anderson; all of whom have talent, but not the wherewithal nor the determination to use it. Give me a few more Ryan Sidebottoms and Graeme Swanns, who don't have the talent in such abundance but do have the desire and willpower to do an effective job for the team.

As for Monty Panesar - words fail me, they really do. Danish Kaneria Mark II. A talent, but one who can be manipulated to the batsmen's will, scared out of the attack, and one who cannot take fourth innings wickets. There was a time when the combination of Harmison and Panesar was one of two strike bowlers, now it's a combination that you just want to hide somewhere.

Pietersen as a captain, well. I don't envy him. I think he has shown glimpses of potential, but he doesn't have much faith in his players.

Well played to Andrew Strauss; no-one who plays that well deserves to be on the losing side, but unfortunately the rest of the players made up for your brilliance by playing proportionally worse. India's big guns turned up at the end and made mince-meat of them, Collingwood excluded.

Some of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves before the 2nd Test. It will take a hell of an effort to stop a confident India simply from rolling us over. I'd be offering short odds on an innings victory for India, personally.

From an outsiders perspective I am baffled at his inclusion in the squad let alone the team, I think Broad is a much better cricketer with both bat/ball and in the field. For the life of me I can't understand his inclusion, especially away from home. Pietersen letting friendship getting involved in team selection?

Monty is a huge disappointment, seems to have lost the 'magic' he once possessed. On the bright side my respect for Flintoff as a bowler continues to grow.

kashif77 said:
Indian middle order will choke again and it will be up to the tail.

I'd say Dhoni and a tailender will probably win it for India.

you are correct. middle order choked big time. dhoni played really well. the tailender was offering stubborn resistance.oh, wake up, time to go to hospital!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back